D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sportin' Life

Re: UNC 2020

Post by Sportin' Life »

Finish Strong
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Guess my assumption in the post above that Kelly had already signed was incorrect. Incoming 2020 class hit pretty hard with de-commitments from Gable Braun, Xavier Arline, and now Daniel Kelly. However, we did pick up Colin Reilly. Still a really solid class overall.
Hammer44

Post by Hammer44 »

Perry says he's coming back. Cook? Anderson? How is the 2nd line?
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

I'm hoping most of the major contributing seniors return (especially Cook and Anderson.) Also wouldn't be surprised to see a defenseman/LSM or midfielder looking to play on the 2nd line transfer in. The 2020 squad was a special one in my opinion. There is a lot of incentive for the players looking to win a national championship to come back/transfer in.

Incoming freshmen Cole Herbert and Collin Reilly should help address the strength of the 2nd midfield line though. Defense was really the only position that needed some more depth in 2020.
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

While I agree wit the above statement, I would also like to see our goalie return to his Freshman form. He was off this year with glimpses of exceptions. if I am not mistaken the WM dman is highly touted. From what I have seen the Fr WM goalie has slipped some.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Transfer market news picking up as of late with Maryland looking like the school that has benefitted the most to-date. The rumors about which Tar Heel seniors are returning and which transfers may take their talents to Chapel Hill have been severely lacking. Anyone hearing any scuttlebutt?
Finish Strong
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

I've been a little surprised there haven't been any high profile transfers coming to UNC to-date. However, if we just get the 2020 Seniors to return, we'll still be one of the most stacked teams in the nation. You can only have 10 players on the field at once anyways. Not sure if all the guys picking Maryland realize that.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

True enough although I'd love to add some underclass depth such as a middie like Utah's Mac Costin or Penn State's Collin Almeida and, depending upon whether or not Macri and Lyons return, a pole like Lehigh's Beaudan Szuluk or Utah's Nick Hapney.
Finish Strong
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

10 10 2 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:05 pm I've been a little surprised there haven't been any high profile transfers coming to UNC to-date. However, if we just get the 2020 Seniors to return, we'll still be one of the most stacked teams in the nation. You can only have 10 players on the field at once anyways. Not sure if all the guys picking Maryland realize that.
UNC is a top five team if seniors return. They have plenty of talent and a star in Gray who can be mentioned in same breath as Sowers. If Johnson gets back to his frosh form then sky's the limit. The ACC battles next year will be bruising.
Oak St

Post by Oak St »

The entire Senior class is returning next year. UNC / Duke National Championship 2021...book it

Go Heels !!!!!!
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Sportin' Life wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:11 pm True enough although I'd love to add some underclass depth such as a middie like Utah's Mac Costin or Penn State's Collin Almeida and, depending upon whether or not Macri and Lyons return, a pole like Lehigh's Beaudan Szuluk or Utah's Nick Hapney.
I agree. All it took was Evan Egan to get injured to cause a lot of uncertainty at the LSM position due to a lack of long poles with a ton of experience. Fortunately, freshman Matt Wright was a pleasant surprise, and Sean Morris (a converted ssdm) seemed to be able to hold his own as Wright's backup, albeit against most of the weaker competition that UNC was facing before the season got cancelled. Although it ended up working out, it could have just as easily fallen to pieces (especially if anybody else on the defensive end had gotten injured.)

Perhaps incoming freshmen Blake Gable and Ethan Larson will play out like Wright and be able to address the lack of depth on the defensive end (or one of the long poles currently on the team will vastly improve over the off-season and move from practice squad to gamer.) Still, at least one dependable long pole transfer would put my mind at ease on the subject.

I'm going to chalk Caton Johnson's somewhat lackluster play up to the old "Sophomore slump" phenomenon, and the fact he has been the type of goalie that seems to play up to the competition he faces. If my hypothesis turns out to be correct, Johnson will be phenomenal in 2021, given some of the suped-up offenses he will be going up against.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

10 10 2 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:35 pm
Sportin' Life wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:11 pm True enough although I'd love to add some underclass depth such as a middie like Utah's Mac Costin or Penn State's Collin Almeida and, depending upon whether or not Macri and Lyons return, a pole like Lehigh's Beaudan Szuluk or Utah's Nick Hapney.
I agree. All it took was Evan Egan to get injured to cause a lot of uncertainty at the LSM position due to a lack of long poles with a ton of experience. Fortunately, freshman Matt Wright was a pleasant surprise, and Sean Morris (a converted ssdm) seemed to be able to hold his own as Wright's backup, albeit against most of the weaker competition that UNC was facing before the season got cancelled. Although it ended up working out, it could have just as easily fallen to pieces (especially if anybody else on the defensive end had gotten injured.)

Perhaps incoming freshmen Blake Gable and Ethan Larson will play out like Wright and be able to address the lack of depth on the defensive end (or one of the long poles currently on the team will vastly improve over the off-season and move from practice squad to gamer.) Still, at least one dependable long pole transfer would put my mind at ease on the subject.

I'm going to chalk Caton Johnson's somewhat lackluster play up to the old "Sophomore slump" phenomenon, and the fact he has been the type of goalie that seems to play up to the competition he faces. If my hypothesis turns out to be correct, Johnson will be phenomenal in 2021, given some of the suped-up offenses he will be going up against.
Desko has been on IR the last two years with acl's but he will be a good pole
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Destro
Hammer44

Post by Hammer44 »

10 10 2 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:25 pm I'm hoping most of the major contributing seniors return (especially Cook and Anderson.) Also wouldn't be surprised to see a defenseman/LSM or midfielder looking to play on the 2nd line transfer in. The 2020 squad was a special one in my opinion. There is a lot of incentive for the players looking to win a national championship to come back/transfer in.

Incoming freshmen Cole Herbert and Collin Reilly should help address the strength of the 2nd midfield line though. Defense was really the only position that needed some more depth in 2020.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAsjYNepBTw/?hl=en
BackItUpLacrosse

Post by BackItUpLacrosse »

Coach Metzbower joined us to break down some practice and game film as well as talk about his legendary coaching career on our New Youtube Series: Back It Up!

Be sure to check out the full episode here:
https://youtu.be/QCLi2-gXtlE
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Finally some news. Princeton's Connor McCarthy is heading to Carolina next year according to IL: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... lina/56542.
Finish Strong
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Sportin' Life wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:34 pm Finally some news. Princeton's Connor McCarthy is heading to Carolina next year according to IL: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... lina/56542.
You will be very happy with him.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

IL looks at the Heels as they prepare to open the season. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ason/57235 It's nice to be able to say that this thread should now be titled "UNC 2021"!
Finish Strong

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”