Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxsmitty

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Laxsmitty »

Gainey is out? He is in transfer portal but that does not mean he is not coming back.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Laxsmitty wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:41 pm Gainey is out? He is in transfer portal but that does not mean he is not coming back.
Sure......ok.
Laxsmitty

Post by Laxsmitty »

Not sure why you believe he is out but whatever.......
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

nyjay wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:15 am I like the idea of Tinney as VAC as well - Hop going Canadian (PM is an honorary Canadian based on his recruiting) would be quite a shock. It's a tremendous bonus that JK can handle the face-off unit in a first class way, but I do wonder about the goalie situation. Not that having one of the best goalies in history on staff actually seemed to help over the last couple of years. I assume most DI goalies have their own guy at home who they've worked with over the years, so maybe that's the answer.

MDLaxFan76, you're the resident goalie expert. What say you?
It really depends on whether someone on the staff has an appreciation for the nuances of goaltending more than micro management of their skills.

Having non-staff training is indeed pretty typical for the ongoing development of tenders, as well other positions most notably FO's. But in-season management of the goalie psyche does require staff management. Same for the regular practice training, warm-ups, etc.

Someone needs to be designated for this role and needs to take it seriously, all the better if they actually have significant experience at such. And the head coach needs to have an appreciation for this too. It needs to be a serious priority, daily.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Big Dog wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:40 pm
-fauci said today he doesn't see kids on campus this fall as a likely or smart outcome.
Uh, no, that is taken out of context. What he actually said was,

“In this case, the idea of having treatments available or a vaccine to facilitate the reentry of students into the fall term would be something that would be a bit of bridge too far,” Fauci said. “Even at top speed that we’re going, we don't see a vaccine playing in the ability of individuals to get back to school, this term. What they really want is to know if they are safe.”
That said, it's also clear that the testing won't be sufficient. The ~50 million monthly tests they're now promising (after lots of promise misses to date) still isn't nearly enough to actually provide the safety levels.

Of course, if we actually choked off the virus before reopening, that 50 million monthly could be pretty darn helpful to keeping it choked off until the vaccine. But that's not what the plan is.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

UMBC's goalie was saving at 60% this season. If Koesterer can get UMBC to 60%, one would hope he can get our guy to 50%.

Cornell's goalie was struggling this year, but the year before he was at 54%, and in 2018 he was at 56%.

Between Koesterer and Milliman you'd think one of them can adequately manage the goalie group, volunteer assistant notwithstanding.

And I forget—who was the one here who said we needed a new offensive coordinator because Benson wasn't shooting on the goalies hard enough in pregame warmups? Whoever that was has got to be happy about the JGJR hire—he's going to show the goalies some very funky releases with some zip on the ball.
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

When I was at JHU in the 1970's, there was a JV Team. Given the fact that a number of high end programs could be carrying 60 people and will not play more than 25 or so in a game, why not consider temporarily reviving the JV game? I want the best team out on the field, but I also want to see what kids like Marcille, Burnett, and Hayden Fox can do. It gives more players a chance to be noticed, and any lax is good lax.

I'm sure there are dozens of reasons this is a dumb idea, but I don't see how having a (say) JHU v. NC JV game prior to the currently scheduled game would be a bad thing
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:53 am I'm not a goalie expert, but from what I've picked up in listening to folks that played the position many years ago and comparing it to what I hear NOW about how the position is taught, there is a substantial difference between the two. I think a youngish goalie, maybe someone who plays/played professionally, would be useful coach.

This team will be very interesting to watch next season (if we have a season). If Epstein is 100% healthy, I think fans can expect NCAA tournament and hope for a win or 2 in the tournament.
Having played and coached the position myself, as well as watching my son play and then coach the position this past decade, I can quite agree that there are some differences.

More the same than not, but yes material differences. And certainly the training regimens have grown more sophisticated.

I was very fortunate to have had Dave Allan as my high school coach, a goalie himself, who had been very studious about the position and who developed training processes far superior to what I received in college. He was not alone, but definitely unusual.

Differences today are primarily not core technique, hand positioning etc, (there really is fundamental proper technique) but rather the arc maintained and the footwork in turning and moving. Probably not the right venue for a long explanation, but certainly some different philosophies. Some coaches make the mistake of thinking they know the right answer in all situations, and with every player, rather than adjusting to the situation and strengths (weaknesses) of a given player, environmental conditions, shooter tendencies, etc.

What I was particularly struck by, as I watched my son coach a variety of goalies over the years, and listened to him talk about each, was the degree to which he did not take a cookie cutter approach, but rather tailored his counsel to the strengths of the particular boy or girl, whether HS of college level. Very subtle differences.

It's difficult to expect this degree of sophistication from most coaches (certainly I was never so cerebral or subtle in my coaching), but the big takeaway for coaches who have this role and aren't really equipped fully is to not make the mistake that they actually know the 'right' way to play the position. I've seen too many knucklehead coaches make that mistake. The worst thing you can do is break a tender's confidence, make him or her 'think' during games rather than react competitively in the moment.

Certainly game prep needs to focus on getting the tender (s) comfortable with opposing shooter tendencies, offensive flows, defensive parry, etc so that thinking is limited during game time, just playing to win. And game time management needs to always be a positive, 'attack' philosophy, not a time for critique.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:22 pm When I was at JHU in the 1970's, there was a JV Team. Given the fact that a number of high end programs could be carrying 60 people and will not play more than 25 or so in a game, why not consider temporarily reviving the JV game? I want the best team out on the field, but I also want to see what kids like Marcille, Burnett, and Hayden Fox can do. It gives more players a chance to be noticed, and any lax is good lax.

I'm sure there are dozens of reasons this is a dumb idea, but I don't see how having a (say) JHU v. NC JV game prior to the currently scheduled game would be a bad thing
16 is right, above, these guys appear to have been successful with tenders, so likely will be fully capable.

I remember coming over from Gilman and playing the Hopkins JV my senior year, early season warm-up. We beat them pretty handily but it was a good game. We were unusually good that year, so it was no slight to the Hop JV. If I'm not mistaken, guys did rise from the JV occasionally to the varsity and contribute significantly. Certainly was true at my college. Pretty regularly, allowing the varsity to carry fewer players, ala two goalies, etc.

JV's are gone now I believe across D1, but many schools do have active club teams that play darn good ball. and it's not unheard of for guys to get plucked up to varsity when needed or to be allowed to try out the following season.

Does Hop have a club team?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I think the confusion about Gainey has arisen because Hopkins included him in that revised roster. Maybe they did that because he was an underclassmen and it doesn't mean anything. Giacalone - for what it's worth - is also on the that roster on the website. I'll take Mighty at his word and that leaves alot of question marks as many have pointed out:
- an "incumbent" with a career 45% save over a year and a half
- possible grad student who had a chance to unseat incumbent and ended up being replaced by incumbent and has not played a full game in his entire career at Hopkins
- a soph/4 year eligible undersized goalie from a very strong program that had an undeniably rough quarter of scrimmage against Richmond
- incoming freshman from non hotbed - competition level questionable
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:22 pm When I was at JHU in the 1970's, there was a JV Team. Given the fact that a number of high end programs could be carrying 60 people and will not play more than 25 or so in a game, why not consider temporarily reviving the JV game? I want the best team out on the field, but I also want to see what kids like Marcille, Burnett, and Hayden Fox can do. It gives more players a chance to be noticed, and any lax is good lax.

Additional coaching and travel expenses to start. Locker facilities, practice field and equipment.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

guys did rise from the JV occasionally to the varsity and contribute significantly.

The JV was essentially the freshmen team. Most if not all the first year varsity(sophomores) were from the JV.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Thanks for the insight, MDLaxFan76. Net/net, sounds like having a VAC with some expertise in tenders might be useful but not essential, if the VAC otherwise brings a lot to the table. Your quote --"The worst thing you can do is break a tender's confidence, make him or her 'think' during games rather than react competitively in the moment" -- seems applicable not just to the goalies but to the whole team under the last staff. As I noted yesterday, I think there's a possibility for the "new coach" bump next year.

Back on the VAC - my guess is that it's not going to be Tinney. If it were, probably wouldn't have the CHC kid decommit earlier today. Tinney was vocally supportive of Petro on social media, so maybe he's not bought in yet to the new staff? Hope that changes. There really should be more of a pipeline from CHC to Homewood, including the 22 kid.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Regarding the goalie situation, I'm not really interested in overall save percentage. Having a defense that gives up more savable than unsavable shots is the key to overall percentage. Our problem for a long time (with the exception of some of Schneider's time and Brock's senior year) is that we can't seem to find someone who can stop 12-15 yard shots with any kind of frequency/ reliability. Give me that guy; I don't care of he never makes a flashy "miracle" save on something in close.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Now have 1 offensive minded player in the 2021 class - Sam Teachout - go get 'em Sam. This is another likely by product of these huge recruiting classes with a little bit of extra eligibility thrown in.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

More than enough offensive talent in this incoming class to make up for a lighter year on the offensive end in 2021, which has several top-tier defenders and one of the best goalies in the class—hopefully most of those guys stay. Would rather it be that way than the other way around, where there's another logjam of attackmen and not enough quality defensemen.

The 2021 class is not done switching, lot of moving parts and wouldn't be shocked if we ourselves become the poachers now that A) the two decommits freed up some room and B) we've got JGJR in the foldd
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:07 pm
-fauci said today he doesn't see kids on campus this fall as a likely or smart outcome.

“In this case, the idea of having treatments available or a vaccine to facilitate the reentry of students into the fall term would be something that would be a bit of bridge too far,” Fauci said. “Even at top speed that we’re going, we don't see a vaccine playing in the ability of individuals to get back to school, this term. What they really want is to know if they are safe.”
That said, it's also clear that the testing won't be sufficient. The ~50 million monthly tests they're now promising (after lots of promise misses to date) still isn't nearly enough to actually provide the safety levels.

Of course, if we actually choked off the virus before reopening, that 50 million monthly could be pretty darn helpful to keeping it choked off until the vaccine. But that's not what the plan is.
There may be a way to test multiple people using one test or testing waste water exit to test a dorm. My guess is that we will have a methodology by September.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

What’s the deal on the Fox kid? I saw him play IMG years ago and he did a great job on Tehoka. He’s a giant and threw an older Naticoke around with ease. Did not see him dressed once for the Jays. Academic issues or injured?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:59 pm

What’s the deal on the Fox kid? I saw him play IMG years ago and he did a great job on Tehoka. He’s a giant and threw an older Naticoke around with ease. Did not see him dressed once for the Jays. Academic issues or injured?
Missed the entire fall and winter with an upper body injury
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:07 pm

Check out this chart. Maryland has no confirmed deaths for people under 30. The vast majority are fogies, like me.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/maryland ... s/31474817#
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”