Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:38 am Other programs are going to be faced with the same issue. It will be interesting to see how each staff handles it. In a way I think it'll be easier for PM since he's just coming in and has to assess the roster anyway. Longtime coaches who have strong existing relationships with their players will have unfortunate decisions to make.
While in general I think you are correct in that the extra year of eligibility creates havoc and tough decisions all over - I think very few programs had a roster at 50ish - losing 8 to eligibility before the virus issues and bringing in EIGHTEEN (I know big fonts are annoying but this should be in font 84) and now is bringing in one transfer and there would be others if they wanted to be at the Hop AND is keeping one of the 8 who was leaving and appears to be open to keeping anywhere from 1-3 more and they have't closed the door on a sophomore goalie in the portal. Cue Oprah He gets a jersey they get a jersey everybody gets a jersey
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I'm not a goalie expert, but from what I've picked up in listening to folks that played the position many years ago and comparing it to what I hear NOW about how the position is taught, there is a substantial difference between the two. I think a youngish goalie, maybe someone who plays/played professionally, would be useful coach.

This team will be very interesting to watch next season (if we have a season). If Epstein is 100% healthy, I think fans can expect NCAA tournament and hope for a win or 2 in the tournament.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:25 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:38 am Other programs are going to be faced with the same issue. It will be interesting to see how each staff handles it. In a way I think it'll be easier for PM since he's just coming in and has to assess the roster anyway. Longtime coaches who have strong existing relationships with their players will have unfortunate decisions to make.
While in general I think you are correct in that the extra year of eligibility creates havoc and tough decisions all over - I think very few programs had a roster at 50ish - losing 8 to eligibility before the virus issues and bringing in EIGHTEEN (I know big fonts are annoying but this should be in font 84) and now is bringing in one transfer and there would be others if they wanted to be at the Hop AND is keeping one of the 8 who was leaving and appears to be open to keeping anywhere from 1-3 more and they have't closed the door on a sophomore goalie in the portal. Cue Oprah He gets a jersey they get a jersey everybody gets a jersey
Syracuse is at 55 right now, lost one to transfer, but just signed a replacement from D3. Have several others in the portal but they are also bringing back a number of their seniors. Once their recruiting class comes in, the Orange are likely going to be in the vicinity of 60+ as well. Maryland isn't far behind. Duke is already around 50 before counting all the transfers they're taking in this year and the upcoming recruiting class though I don't know how many of their seniors are returning (I heard at least a few of them are planning to). There are going to be quite a few big programs besides us hovering around the 60 mark. No argument that we've got too many, probably a few more than these other programs if you're counting closely—but it really is only a few more.
nyjay wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:15 am I like the idea of Tinney as VAC as well - Hop going Canadian (PM is an honorary Canadian based on his recruiting) would be quite a shock.
Would be a nice tribute to Dave Huntley's legacy. I definitely don't think it's a bad thing if we continue making some inroads in Canada. We already have two more talented kids on the way this season, both midfielders.
Mr. F

Post by Mr. F »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:53 am I'm not a goalie expert, but from what I've picked up in listening to folks that played the position many years ago and comparing it to what I hear NOW about how the position is taught, there is a substantial difference between the two. I think a youngish goalie, maybe someone who plays/played professionally, would be useful coach.

This team will be very interesting to watch next season (if we have a season). If Epstein is 100% healthy, I think fans can expect NCAA tournament and hope for a win or 2 in the tournament.
Scott Rodgers was a JHU Weight Coach from 2015-2017. I know he's pretty involved with camps but I wonder if he'd be willing to "hop" on as a VAC to help with goalies
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Charlie Bertrand is transferring to UVA. Another slight to Connor Shellenberger after they already needlessly made him redshirt this season. Connor, you're welcome back to Homewood anytime—you'll see the field right away, and we don't hold grudges. Well, some of us don't.

What's Jesse Schwartzman up to these days? Pretty sure he's done some coaching here and there.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:42 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:05 am I would think the JK and JGJ hires would put to bed any of the tactical concerns our forum lurkers had about Milliman. And let’s be honest, how many of those concerns were born from one televised game against Maryland? Other than the Teat shutoff game, how many of Milliman’s “game tactician” critics actually viewed significant Cornell film and deemed his Xs and Os sub par?....
Does it?

The JK hire was a bone to alums.

And JGJ is a great name in lacrosse, but his coaching chops are still TBD. His main coaching accomplishment is still list taking a Denver h/s to the state playoffs a few years in a row.

Not saying they will be bad hires. Just more window dressing and optimism than proven commodities at this point.
Even if he wasn’t an alum, Koesterer’s bonafides are strong. UMBC became one of the best defenses in the country year in year out with him the last 4 years, both in the raw numbers and adjusted for efficiency. And then he did a very good job at Ohio State as well before that. He’s a top coordinator.

JGJR is definitely more of a wild card and a bolder choice.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:18 am Charlie Bertrand is transferring to UVA. Another slight to Connor Shellenberger after they already needlessly made him redshirt this season. Connor, you're welcome back to Homewood anytime—you'll see the field right away, and we don't hold grudges. Well, some of us don't.

What's Jesse Schwartzman up to these days? Pretty sure he's done some coaching here and there.
An invite to Shellenberger and Shwartzman. Starting to think 16 might be a genius.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:57 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:18 am Charlie Bertrand is transferring to UVA. Another slight to Connor Shellenberger after they already needlessly made him redshirt this season. Connor, you're welcome back to Homewood anytime—you'll see the field right away, and we don't hold grudges. Well, some of us don't.

An invite to Shellenberger and Shwartzman. Starting to think 16 might be a genius.
Don't know if you're joking but the my Schwartzman suggestion was semi-serious—though I have no idea what he's doing.

Xanders reported another 2021 commit—Calvert Hall middie Ethan Long—has decommitted. Both he and Will Peden have switched to Penn State. :roll:
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:05 pmDon't know if you're joking but the my Schwartzman suggestion was semi-serious—though I have no idea what he's doing.

Xanders reported another 2021 commit—Calvert Hall middie Ethan Long—has decommitted. Both he and Will Peden have switched to Penn State. :roll:
I actually had this thought as well the other night. No idea if he'd make for a good coach or if he would have interest, but to the best of my knowledge Jesse is still in the Baltimore area working for a commercial real estate firm. I know because I ran across his employee profile a few months ago while looking to rent some office space and he was attached to some of the listings.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i hadn't heard he was made to redshirt.
link?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:26 pm

link?
I mean, he wasn't going to be starting, so his options were either run off the 2nd midfield/play man-up or redshirt and maintain 4 years of being a starter. Option is pretty clear at that point. And in hindsight, considering the middling production of that midfield outside of Cormier; and how the #1 recruits the prior 3 years were Joey Epstein, Tehoka Nanticoke, Jeff Teat - all guys who did huge things as freshmen - it was a pretty strange decision.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-@tyxanders @collegecrosse @chrisjast basically are the 3 main feeds on twitter and post all these transfer and other updates in real time. They read our forum constantly and post smart alec retorts.
-chad chatlos who runs the sports division at ventura partners, the search firm baker used, was bakers classmate at Navy. do the math there and on milliman who she worked with at cornell. She called her classmate said we're dumping the great Petro-bino, I have some ideas but can we hire you to see if there are any hidden gems out there and tah dah.
-WOMBAT thought you'd find my view of your ideal roster number funnier. I hope corona hasn't gotten to your sense of humor.
-fauci said today he doesn't see kids on campus this fall as a likely or smart outcome.
-Jay Dyer was beloved by the outgoing regime, Rabil and Harrison but speed, strength and the list goes on were not strengths of this program for the last decade (with apologies to lee coppersmith). They invested big $ in clc and you'd think if any school in the nation would excel at that area it would be us.
-schnellenberger made a tough call. a cautionary tale.
-where are the $9.99 free shipping hopkins masks in the bookstore?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Has it been confirmed Jay Dyer is out? I heard he was retained.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:38 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:26 pm

link?
I mean, he wasn't going to be starting, so his options were either run off the 2nd midfield/play man-up or redshirt and maintain 4 years of being a starter. Option is pretty clear at that point. And in hindsight, considering the middling production of that midfield outside of Cormier; and how the #1 recruits the prior 3 years were Joey Epstein, Tehoka Nanticoke, Jeff Teat - all guys who did huge things as freshmen - it was a pretty strange decision.
i don't have any inside info. to just guess, which is what everyone that doesn't have inside info would be doing, he had not won an attack starting position and redshirt then becomes a viable option to extend a year.
he would've already known by the time he signed that 3 likely attack starters were coming back for a year, and 2 of them for 2. the eventual success at the new position of moore wasn't known after the fall, but the other 2 were entrenched. he likely knew in any event coming in to start at attack he'd have to unseat somebody. and then they won the national championship, with all of them playing well and critical roles.
so not a strange decision to me with just that info. and i don't know anything about his academics (possible grad school?) which may play into it as well. with the lefty kraus being the only senior, the initial year also had the possibility of turning into 2, as he and moore have similar games and the same strong hand (as well as laviano with the latter). steele was good enough with the options available at the time to make himself a left side guy his freshman year, but with cormier around who knows?
now that covid has given everyone the chance at another year on top of what was available, that as much as anything might muddy plans. if moore (and laviano) is back for 2 more years, it remains crowded. if he stays, it's possible he could unseat laviano if he's killing it, and laviano could run out of the box straight to the crease. shellenberger would have to be able to ride like ian in particular, and finish as often on the break. or pull a stanwick.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:08 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:54 am
viper wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:43 am
Yes, there is no way they can start the next season (whenever that is) with 62-65 people. If there are folks they decide "don't belong" I am sure they will get that message sooner rather than later. Having said that, unless there is a clear reason to drop/push/move someone along (so to speak) it's also common for coaches to not rush to trim the roster and let time make some decisions for them (aka, injury, academics). I know of one DIII team that ended their fall with 58 on the roster and when January arrived (6 weeks later) they lost 11 kids just through injury, academic issues or priorities and other reasons. Granted that is DIII but the point is, I wouln't fault the coaches for letting time play out a bit before making decisions like that.
I would tell the goalie to move on right now.
Are there two better tenders on the roster?
Let's see, a career 45% save percentage and collapses in all the big games. Nice.
You can ride that horse all the way to the unemployment line.
The last coach did.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:22 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:08 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:54 am
viper wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:43 am
Yes, there is no way they can start the next season (whenever that is) with 62-65 people. If there are folks they decide "don't belong" I am sure they will get that message sooner rather than later. Having said that, unless there is a clear reason to drop/push/move someone along (so to speak) it's also common for coaches to not rush to trim the roster and let time make some decisions for them (aka, injury, academics). I know of one DIII team that ended their fall with 58 on the roster and when January arrived (6 weeks later) they lost 11 kids just through injury, academic issues or priorities and other reasons. Granted that is DIII but the point is, I wouln't fault the coaches for letting time play out a bit before making decisions like that.
I would tell the goalie to move on right now.
Are there two better tenders on the roster?
Let's see, a career 45% save percentage and collapses in all the big games. Nice.
The last coach did.
I don't think anyone is disputing that. The question is, where is the better option? Marcille, incoming freshman, transfer portal?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:22 pm Let's see, a career 45% save percentage and collapses in all the big games. Nice.
The last coach did.
Let's at least be fair so we're not just dumping on kids...he had two very solid games against Syracuse under his belt and also played well against Maryland in game two last year, which saved the season. But, certainly, yes, some poor showings in several other games. No need to exaggerate what's already clear to everyone to be a situation in need of improvement.

Perhaps the new regime will convince Gainey to stay and compete for the chance to start.

Marcille, though diminutive in size, played huge in some big games for Gonzaga. I would not give up on him just yet.

And DiMarsico has never seen anything remotely like Big Ten/ACC shooters playing out in Pittsburgh but that doesn't mean he can't rise to the occasion.

Just need one of these guys to get above 50% to give us a shot. But none of them will be put into a position to succeed unless the defense in front of them improves from last year. Koesterer has a big project to lead.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

flalax22 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:01 pm Has it been confirmed Jay Dyer is out? I heard he was retained.
He stays. That was stated when they said the coaching staff was out.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:35 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:22 pm Let's see, a career 45% save percentage and collapses in all the big games. Nice.
The last coach did.
Let's at least be fair so we're not just dumping on kids...he had two very solid games against Syracuse under his belt and also played well against Maryland in game two last year, which saved the season. But, certainly, yes, some poor showings in several other games. No need to exaggerate what's already clear to everyone to be a situation in need of improvement.

Perhaps the new regime will convince Gainey to stay and compete for the chance to start.

Marcille, though diminutive in size, played huge in some big games for Gonzaga. I would not give up on him just yet.

And DiMarsico has never seen anything remotely like Big Ten/ACC shooters playing out in Pittsburgh but that doesn't mean he can't rise to the occasion.

Just need one of these guys to get above 50% to give us a shot. But none of them will be put into a position to succeed unless the defense in front of them improves from last year. Koesterer has a big project to lead.
Gainey is out.
Last edited by Mightyjoe on Tue May 12, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

-fauci said today he doesn't see kids on campus this fall as a likely or smart outcome.
Uh, no, that is taken out of context. What he actually said was,

“In this case, the idea of having treatments available or a vaccine to facilitate the reentry of students into the fall term would be something that would be a bit of bridge too far,” Fauci said. “Even at top speed that we’re going, we don't see a vaccine playing in the ability of individuals to get back to school, this term. What they really want is to know if they are safe.”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”