The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

rrr, you constantly try to dismiss Trump's various actions as nothing more than some false equivalency, under the rubric TAATS.
That's a defense of Trump.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Just had a great dinner at a restaurant. And it was crowded.

On to New York. New York City will fall into bankruptcy shortly. Read how desperate the situation is, plus how in denial that gross birdbrain de Blasio is.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/09/ny-leader ... -revenues/

What a disaster. No way out and only themselves to blame. If you can’t manage yourselves, don’t expect those that can to bail you out. File chapter 11 and get your public employee pensions under control. Awful.

Blue states will need to cheat in November to get Biden in. It’s the only way Nyc can hope for a bailout. The urgency behind voting fraud will be too great to resist.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Take this path, Pete. Pretty please. Pretty please with sugar on top. You think this is the only city or State that will be a *hitshow in the coming years?

Gum up our Federal government, and keep it from sending $$$ to flyover nation for yeeeers because Congressmen from States that are hurting refuse to pass any bills until State bailout funds head out.

How do you think all those energy dependent States are faring with oil under $30? All those high paying jobs in States like mine?

I'd love it. I'd cheer it. Let's pull the trigger. Please. Let's see each State on their own, trying to put the pieces together.

20%+ unemployment. Who wouldn't want to try and get reelected in this environment? :lol:

I'm with you that pensions are reckless and stupid. But you have convinced yourself that Florida doesn't need NYC's money.

Good luck with that, is all I have to say....
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:33 pm Just had a great dinner at a restaurant. And it was crowded.

On to New York. New York City will fall into bankruptcy shortly. Read how desperate the situation is, plus how in denial that gross birdbrain de Blasio is.

What a disaster. No way out and only themselves to blame. If you can’t manage yourselves, don’t expect those that can to bail you out. File chapter 11 and get your public employee pensions under control. Awful.

Blue states will need to cheat in November to get Biden in. It’s the only way Nyc can hope for a bailout. The urgency behind voting fraud will be too great to resist.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/coronavirus-l ... d=70592970

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/us/c ... s.amp.html

Let us know if one of your running buddies show up in one of these reports down the road.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:51 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:33 pm Just had a great dinner at a restaurant. And it was crowded.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/coronavirus-l ... d=70592970

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/us/c ... s.amp.html

Let us know if one of your running buddies show up in one of these reports down the road.

Given that none of us are over 70 (actually none over 50!) and all of us have a BMI of approximately 21, the likelihood of being a Covid death is less than 0.0005%. But I’ll keep my eye on it and let you know!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:47 pm Take this path, Pete. Pretty please. Pretty please with sugar on top. You think this is the only city or State that will be a *hitshow in the coming years?

Gum up our Federal government, and keep it from sending $$$ to flyover nation for yeeeers because Congressmen from States that are hurting refuse to pass any bills until State bailout funds head out.

How do you think all those energy dependent States are faring with oil under $30? All those high paying jobs in States like mine?

I'd love it. I'd cheer it. Let's pull the trigger. Please. Let's see each State on their own, trying to put the pieces together.

20%+ unemployment. Who wouldn't want to try and get reelected in this environment? :lol:

I'm with you that pensions are reckless and stupid. But you have convinced yourself that Florida doesn't need NYC's money.

Good luck with that, is all I have to say....

Read the article. De Blasio won’t fire anyone, he’s asking for 10% raises, and he refuses to cut expenses. My answer: screw him.

If the city wants to take ownership and vote in a normal human being as mayor, let’s revisit the situation.
a fan

Post by a fan »

I did read the article. You think that other States are making good financial decisions, and not playing the Mitch McConnell game.

Namely: keep your own taxes low, and look for the Federal government to cover your massive budget shortfalls with money that they take from places like NYC.

And now that NYC has been hit hardest by this virus? You want to not help them with Federal dollars.

As I said: good luck with that choice....
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Of course Florida is the 3rd biggest "taker" state: receiving around $4.50 from the feds for each dollar paid in federal taxes.

New York is near the bottom, getting around 80 cents from the feds for each dollar paid in federal taxes.

California is also below break even.

ANY TIME the red states want to end this deal: PLEASE DO IT!

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:24 am Of course Florida is the 3rd biggest "taker" state: receiving around $4.50 from the feds for each dollar paid in federal taxes.

New York is near the bottom, getting around 80 cents from the feds for each dollar paid in federal taxes.

It is hard to quantify how palpably dumb this supposed 'gotcha' is. I've listed before why it's dumb so I';m not going to waste much more time, but I'd advise anyone to study up a bit a bit before posting again, because trust me, red states would leap at the chance if offered and blue states would collapse quickly.

The imbalance, to the extent that you think it exists, is precisely because Congressional Democrats demand certain federal dependency metrics. Red states would never honor those federal demands if the reigns were removed.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... red-states

https://www.thecentersquare.com/new_yor ... 0a376.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... F120150128
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:33 am
CU77 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:24 am Of course Florida is the 3rd biggest "taker" state: receiving around $4.50 from the feds for each dollar paid in federal taxes.

It is hard to quantify how palpably dumb this supposed 'gotcha' is. I've listed before why it's dumb so I';m not going to waste much more time, but I'd advise anyone to study up a bit a bit before posting again, because trust me, red states would leap at the chance if offered and blue states would collapse quickly.

The imbalance, to the extent that you think it exists, is precisely because Congressional Democrats demand certain federal dependency metrics. Red states would never honor those federal demands if the reigns were removed.

So...the argument PB and others are making is that under such a change, those "red states" would simply stop paying out food stamps, Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, unemployment, housing assistance, etc. I mean, why not? These are forced on them by the federal government.

And why we're at it, let's get rid of all those other 'mandates'.

Let's toss all environmental regulations, government mandates on food safety, etc. Why not, these just strangle "productivity"?

The heck with minimum wages of course, these folks are lucky to have a job.
While we're at it, let's change the voter rules to make sure only those with means get to vote. (we don't want those lower strata folks to upset the apple cart, after all). Heck, maybe we should actually import some migrant, non-citizen workers to fill those pork and poultry plants...don't need to worry about them voting...

Why are those suburban women whining about losing "abortion factories"? After all, we brought Jesus back into the classroom and got rid of that radical evolution garbage!

And, of course, please don't send FEMA when we have a hurricane, tornado, flood...we're just fine, we're all in this together...and hey, it cleanses out the riff riff in the lowlands and trailer parks...
CU88

Post by CU88 »

And we can't forget all of the Federal aid for hurricanes, here is $1,400,000,000 for just one...

Nearly $1.4 Billion in Hurricane Recovery Funds Approved Six Months After Michael
Release date: April 3, 2019
Release Number: R4 2019 NR 005

ATLANTA – Six months after Hurricane Michael’s landfall on the Florida Panhandle, federal funds totaling nearly $1.4 billion have been approved for recovery in Florida and Georgia.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:51 am

So...the argument PB and others are making is that under such a change, those "red states" would simply stop paying out food stamps, Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, unemployment, housing assistance, etc. I mean, why not? These are forced on them by the federal government.

Let's toss all environmental regulations, government mandates on food safety, etc. Why not, these just strangle "productivity"?

While we're at it, let's change the voter rules to make sure only those with means get to vote. (we don't want those lower strata folks to upset the apple cart, after all). Heck, maybe we should actually import some migrant, non-citizen workers to fill those pork and poultry plants...don't need to worry about them voting...

Why are those suburban women whining about losing "abortion factories"? After all, we brought Jesus back into the classroom and got rid of that radical evolution garbage!

And, of course, please don't send FEMA when we have a hurricane, tornado, flood...we're just fine, we're all in this together...and hey, it cleanses out the riff riff in the lowlands and trailer parks...

You miss the point, as ever. You sure you attended an Ivy? :lol:

The point, to be very clear, is when your brethren of the Left descend on the board and falsely claim 'blue states pay for red states' (insert Howard Dean scream), that payment imbalance is caused precisely because of blue state-favored entitlement policies. Federally mandated entitlement policies were proposed and passed, and today are favored, by blue state voters, the same ones here making the charge. A little honesty here?

This is skipping past an even more glaring problem with the false observation: federal "grant" money favors blue states.

By the way, it's hilarious to read true Democrat posts where you fall completely for the extremely lazy canard of 'red states would let the poor die'. Red states, far more than blue states, rely on charity and church to rectify perceived income or poverty gaps, not government. You'd need to live in a red state to see how obvious that observation is (that it doesn't dawn on you to reflect how red state voters can handle poverty gaps in ways that do not rely on the government; a similar observation is in general Republicans are far more charitable and empathetic than Democrats, which extensive studies have borne out, though we all know it anyway - the point being, government is never the friend you want it to be; people are your friend).
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

If Trump bails out blue states from their pending economic calamity, you better be long gold, or better yet, own real estate in red states.

Because when the Democratic Party becomes this woman (and it's going to happen), not one company will want to stay in a blue state:

https://nypost.com/2020/05/10/californi ... ove-tesla/

Musk needs to uproot and get his team to Texas, stat. Don't play their game; leave and don't look back. You are only buying a small window of time compromising with these leeches. You do not compromise with people who despise job creators.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:11 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:51 am

You miss the point, as ever. You sure you attended an Ivy? :lol:

The point, to be very clear, is when your brethren of the Left descend on the board and falsely claim 'blue states pay for red states' (insert Howard Dean scream), that payment imbalance is caused precisely because of blue state-favored entitlement policies. Federally mandated entitlement policies were proposed and passed, and today are favored, by blue state voters, the same ones here making the charge. A little honesty here?

This is skipping past an even more glaring problem with the false observation: federal "grant" money favors blue states.

By the way, it's hilarious to read true Democrat posts where you fall completely for the extremely lazy canard of 'red states would let the poor die'. Red states, far more than blue states, rely on charity and church to rectify perceived income or poverty gaps, not government. You'd need to live in a red state to see how obvious that observation is (that it doesn't dawn on you to reflect how red state voters can handle poverty gaps in ways that do not rely on the government; a similar observation is in general Republicans are far more charitable and empathetic than Democrats, which extensive studies have borne out, though we all know it anyway - the point being, government is never the friend you want it to be; people are your friend).
You actually think I missed any of that, PB?

Yes, those "entitlements" that Dems (and used to be moderate Rs) vote for benefit red states disproportionately relative to the tax dollars they send to the federal government...net result? Those red states in question send less $ than they receive. (This is not true of ALL red states, just the ones 'on the take')

On the charitable giving that's indeed true (though a huge portion of what is classified as 'charitable' is just giving to churches, including those televangelist types...some of that, of course, does get to those most needy), but try making up the gap with charity alone...nope, it's not remotely in the ballpark. Wouldn't be either. We can wish it was, but it's never been there.

Here's the problem PB, the states that are the 'takers' are in that position because they simply have fewer wealthy folks relative to poor. So, pay less in federal taxes as a proportion...but on the other hand many of their citizens are supported by those "entitlements".

There's way more economic activity and concentration of higher income in those more densely populated states...so they pay far more of the federal taxes.

And the money flows to those most in need. A lot of those being in red states, at least comparative to what they put into the kitty.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:43 pm If Trump bails out blue states from their pending economic calamity, you better be long gold, or better yet, own real estate in red states.

Because when the Democratic Party becomes this woman (and it's going to happen), not one company will want to stay in a blue state:

https://nypost.com/2020/05/10/californi ... ove-tesla/

Musk needs to uproot and get his team to Texas, stat. Don't play their game; leave and don't look back. You are only buying a small window of time compromising with these leeches. You do not compromise with people who despise job creators.
If Trump bails out... :? :roll:

I'd like to see his tax returns...maybe he can actually bail someone out?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU88 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:07 pm And we can't forget all of the Federal aid for hurricanes, here is $1,400,000,000 for just one...

Nearly $1.4 Billion in Hurricane Recovery Funds Approved Six Months After Michael

ATLANTA – Six months after Hurricane Michael’s landfall on the Florida Panhandle, federal funds totaling nearly $1.4 billion have been approved for recovery in Florida and Georgia.
Yes, PB would be happy to not have those $ :roll:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:54 pm
CU88 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:07 pm And we can't forget all of the Federal aid for hurricanes, here is $1,400,000,000 for just one...

My belief in federal hurricane funds and insurance is they should not exist. Buyer beware, and pay your own way. That goes for Florida and New York New Jersey (Sandy). Pricing of everything is normalized when the government steps out of the ring. Even if it would hurt some Floridians.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:57 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:54 pm

My belief in federal hurricane funds and insurance is they should not exist. Buyer beware, and pay your own way. That goes for Florida and New York New Jersey (Sandy). Pricing of everything is normalized when the government steps out of the ring. Even if it would hurt some Floridians.
Keep FEMA out!

After all, it's those people dumb enough (or so poor) that they live in low lands that take the brunt of hurricanes, floods, tornadoes. Flush'em.

BTW, I do think there's an interesting argument to be made about the insurance programs, especially when tapped by rich folks who really do have the option to not locate where likely to get hit. They can insure themselves.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:11 pm You miss the point, as ever. You sure you attended an Ivy? :lol:

:lol: So you're telling me that you think Republicans from Red States didn't vote for all these programs?

Whew. Good one. Want me to start listing the bills and the votes for you? Pre Covid, Trump signed four massive spending bills totaling just under $4 Trillion in NEW spending. Only $800 Billion went to the military. So that's over $3 Trillion in social programs that are stuffed with handouts to all walks of life in America.

And this, of course, doesn't include a few hundred Billion in cash payments to farmers for...wait for it....nothing.

And you want to pretend that both Republicans and Republicans didn't vote for this money, and don't actually want this money. So your University of Florida last year got $776 million from the Federal government in one single year....and what you're telling us is....they don't want that money.

Great news. Let me know when I can have my tax dollars back!
Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:11 pm By the way, it's hilarious to read true Democrat posts where you fall completely for the extremely lazy canard of 'red states would let the poor die'. Red states, far more than blue states, rely on charity and church to rectify perceived income or poverty gaps, not government.
:lol: Where do you think the NGO's and Charities get a ton of their funding? The Federal government cuts checks for dozens of programs that sends money to NGO's that help, for example, get Florida residents work training to get them back into the workforce.

https://www.cbpp.org/sites/default/file ... ing_fl.pdf

You don't understand what your Republican representatives are doing. You're, sadly, buying into their political nonsense. "Gee whiz, we don't actually want this Federal money...but whoops, we keep accidentally voting for it". Riiiiight.

Look, it's simple, but you don't want to hear it. All you have to do is pretend there isn't a Federal Government, and each State is its own country.

What would that look like? Stop with your R's and D's thing, and simply think for yourself for five freaking minutes.

And remember----the Federal government has borrowed Trillions of dollars the last few years, and sent it to all 50 States. So picture that money getting cut off, and each State having to go it alone.

This would be a complete catastrophe for just about every State, and yep, that would include a few Dem States.

But by and large? R States like Mitch McConnell's Kentucky would be beyond hosed. Which, of course, is why ol' Mitchey gleefully signed all of those 4 massive spending bills. His State cannot function without that money.

But you want to ignore all this, and pretend like each State wants to go solo. And part that you don't get it----the more that liberals figure out what it would look like if NY, IL, CA et. al. got to keep allllll that money that they normally send to DC for themselves? The more they are going to want what you are asking for....

And if that happens? Lights out, rural America. And good luck to you and your fellow Floridians who have to figure out how to provide health care to 4 Million+ seniors. What's the first thing you'll do? Raise taxes, of course. And yet you keep claiming that this is what you want.

As many of us here keep saying: great news, when can we start your plan?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:57 pm My belief in federal hurricane funds and insurance is they should not exist. Buyer beware, and pay your own way. That goes for Florida and New York New Jersey (Sandy). Pricing of everything is normalized when the government steps out of the ring. Even if it would hurt some Floridians.
And what do you suppose is the reason that Trump and the Republicans didn't kill FEMA during the first two years of Trump's reign?

Think it through, and get back to us.

Because where do I sign to end FEMA and all insurance subsidies? Let me know. :roll:

Return to “POLITICS”