Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by flalax22 »

I hope PM is doing his homework on transfers. Does anyone here find it strange that the top LSM on the number one team in the country wants to come to a JHU team in rebuild mode?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:02 pm I hope PM is doing his homework on transfers. Does anyone here find it strange that the top LSM on the number one team in the country wants to come to a JHU team in rebuild mode?
Hopkins doesn't rebuild, it reloads. PM is replacing the schools all time winningest coach who won 2 titles in his first 7 years and made several final 4s. If there's a kid on a reservation in montana he thinks can help us win, I'm sure the kid will be in uniform next spring.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Maybe a bit strange, but more than anything, I find it incredibly encouraging.

I kinda feel bad dumping on SU (really liked you SU guys visiting this thread earlier, thanks for the good posts and sorry about your loss and thanks for calling off the dogs in the second half at Homewood earlier this year), but, seriously, have you even been to Syracuse? I recognize Charm City has its issues, but central NYS in general and Syracuse in particular is pretty damn grim. Why go there in the first place? And I get the No. 1 team thing, they were in fact ranked No. 1, but did anyone actually believe they were going to win the NC? FF, maybe. That team really struck me as incredibly overrated. People seemed way too into the "best midfield ever" narrative (all the Dordevic love in particular bothers me - yeah, he's good, and it's really nice he's from Oregon, but he has like 35 points total in his whole career - can we please stop the 1st team AA talk, please?). I figure they finish 3rd/4th in the ACC next year and lose in the quarters of the tourney.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Good to hear about Williams and Concannon.

This team will be stacked with talent in 2021. Don’t think we should be view next season as some sort of rebuilding year. They can win and be competitive right away with any team in the country if they put the hard work in.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

flalax22 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:02 pm I hope PM is doing his homework on transfers. Does anyone here find it strange that the top LSM on the number one team in the country wants to come to a JHU team in rebuild mode?
Rest easy, there are no hidden issues here . He left on good terms with his teammates and coaches but Cuse away from lax was simply never the best fit. He's a solid kid on and off the field. Wish him well.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

nyjay wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:13 pm Maybe a bit strange, but more than anything, I find it incredibly encouraging.

I kinda feel bad dumping on SU (really liked you SU guys visiting this thread earlier, thanks for the good posts and sorry about your loss and thanks for calling off the dogs in the second half at Homewood earlier this year), but, seriously, have you even been to Syracuse? I recognize Charm City has its issues, but central NYS in general and Syracuse in particular is pretty damn grim. Why go there in the first place? And I get the No. 1 team thing, they were in fact ranked No. 1, but did anyone actually believe they were going to win the NC? FF, maybe. That team really struck me as incredibly overrated. People seemed way too into the "best midfield ever" narrative (all the Dordevic love in particular bothers me - yeah, he's good, and it's really nice he's from Oregon, but he has like 35 points total in his whole career - can we please stop the 1st team AA talk, please?). I figure they finish 3rd/4th in the ACC next year and lose in the quarters of the tourney.
pretty strong take.
in comparison, can i assume you don't have high hopes for hop?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

https://www.syracuse.com/orangelacrosse ... rival.html

Report: Ex-Syracuse lacrosse middie heading to Orange rival
By Lindsay Kramer | [email protected]
Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse lacrosse midfielder Jared Fernandez is transferring to Johns Hopkins, according to Inside Lacrosse.

Fernandez, who will be a senior, was one of the Orange’s top long-stick middies and also handled wing chores on faceoffs. Fernandez was the No. 1-ranked player on Inside Lacrosse’s list of underclassmen in the transfer portal.

“Making up for a lack of size (5-7, 170 lbs.) with uncanny speed and ability off the ground, Fernandez was a tremendous asset as the Orange’s primary longstick on the wings of face-offs,” Inside Lacrosse wrote. “The 2017 Power 100 recruit made an early impact as a rookie after graduating from IMG Academy (Fla.) but suffered a season-ending injury against Virginia — since then, he has played in 21 of 22 games while recording 57 groundballs and 17 caused turnovers.”

Freshman attack Sean Donnelly is also on that list, and SU sophomore midfielder Andrew and Justin Kim are grouped among a second ranking of players to watch. Fernandez will play for new JHU coach Peter Milliman, who takes over with the Blue Jays after leaving Cornell.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Syracuse had a good team this year. Several threats on offense, solid in cage and at the faceoff dot. Defense not great IMO, but good enough. They were a Final Four contender. But given the breathless media coverage on ESPN and via the Twitterati, you'd think they were the only good team in the country. They snuck by a pretty good Army team solely because Porter absolutely stood on his head that game and Trimboli bailed them out with some solo heroics. But other than that, they hadn't really beaten anyone (yes I'm including the Jays) and had yet to get to the meat of their schedule with the ACC + Cornell. Guess now we'll just never know. They return virtually everyone from the team that beat Hopkins in March (except Fernandez :lol: ) so they'll have another crack at it.

Anyway, back to Homewood—I don't really see this as a "rebuilding" year either. It's not like they're tanking for the #1 draft pick. In retrospect, 2020 might have been something of a rebuilding year. ENTIRELY new defense, lots of new faces on offense, your best player hardly playing, two other key pieces out for the year, a three-year starter mysteriously dropped from the team. 2021, even with a new staff, will likely face fewer headwinds IMO. A lot went wrong at the same time this year and perhaps that's why Petro is currently out of a job. But there's no reason PM can't hit the ground running in his first year. It may not happen right away—I am on record as saying he should get at least 4 years before people start freaking out—but, maybe it does.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

AustinDangerPowers wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:06 pm
AreaLax wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:04 pm TX twitter

Cole Williams withdrew from the NCAA's portal this week and will return to @JHUmenslacrosse in 2021.
How’s everyone feeling about this
Very happy about this. He's a unique player, tough to stop when he's on his game, and will be surrounded by alot more talent next year. More importantly, it's a big "get" for Milliman as he tries to establish his program.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

wgdsr - all the SU love this year was a little much for me to take. Yes, they were very good. But were they really favorites to even win the ACC? Will they be next year? Not in my mind. Hence my view that they have been overrated (other than Drake Porter - he's properly rated as excellent).

My long term expectations for the Jays are very positive. The JK hire and getting a top tier transfer two weeks after hiring a new coach are really good signs. I think they'll be back in the FF conversation in 2-5 years. As for next year, thinking more like be competitive in almost every game, win the ones they're supposed to and maybe a couple that they aren't, finish third or fourth in conference, make the NCAA tourney and maybe win the 8/9 game if things go well. In any event, it won't be the same uninspired crap we've been watching for the last couple of years.
DMac

Post by DMac »

HopFan16 wrote
They snuck by a pretty good Army team solely because Porter absolutely stood on his head that game and Trimboli bailed them out with some solo heroics.
This isn't quite accurate. GKs who absolutely stood on their heads in this game include the Army GK too, he was phenominal on this day. If Cuse snuck by Army solely because of their GK play, Army was solely even in the game because of their GK play (Army 16 saves, Cuse 18).
Army always plays Cuse tough....and this was February lacrosse.

Hop fans should be feeling real good right now, what they've mostly been in need of for several years, IMO, was some new life and new attitude. The new enthusiasm you can feel on this thread will probably be seen and felt on the field too. Hop's sitting pretty right now, gonna be a tough program to deal with. PM will bring the spirit and enthusiasm of a young new coach who perhaps sees the game a little differently than a Hop traditionalist (that's a good thing in my book). Bring in Fenandez who is one of those players who can electrify a team and crowd with his play along with several other talented players you've got, and Hop becomes a very tough out. Now all we need is a season to find out what you've got.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Couldn't be happier with the JAMO selection. :D
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:14 pm Hopkins doesn't rebuild, it reloads. PM is replacing the schools all time winningest coach who won 2 titles in his first 7 years and made several final 4s. If there's a kid on a reservation in montana he thinks can help us win, I'm sure the kid will be in uniform next spring.
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:14 pm This team will be stacked with talent in 2021. Don’t think we should be view next season as some sort of rebuilding year. They can win and be competitive right away with any team in the country if they put the hard work in
Here's a little bit of delusion - actually maybe quite alot. Reloading not rebuilding was the old paradigm for Hopkins lacrosse - not today. You used to take shots at Petro all the time - now all of a sudden he's the Quint K icon? And no Mr. Milliman can no more snap his fingers and bring in whomever he wants than Petro could. Guess what - Scanlon, Gray and Sowers could help Hopkins win - are they here? -
Hopkins is not stacked with talent - yet. There are alot of holes - Goalie starts it off - only 2 SSDMs listed on the roster - Fernandez helps the groundball play and speed issues but close defense and midfield scoring are still raging dumpster fires.

I am surprised Williams is back -especially before an OC is named. I'm not saying he can't be valuable but inconsistency has been his primary issue and one thing Hopkins has is in terms of talent is people to play attack. SO the midfields will once again be raging with converted attackmen.

Then as pointed out before, with Williams back - the roster stands at 59 - with the other 3 or 4 seniors on the 2021 roster still to be finalized. PM has some decisions to make in that regard.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

"ow, there's some unfinished business for a group that went 2-4 prior to the season's cancellation. The Blue Jays' final win on March 10 was a dramatic victory over Mt. St. Mary's, who led for 57 minutes of regulation before the Jays rallied 13-12 in overtime. Although the ending showed that the Blue Jays could dig deep, Williams said that he felt like they were right on the cusp of turning things around, just as they did late in the 2019 season with a pair of victories over Maryland. "During the preseason, it was clear that this was the most hard-working group that I'd been around at Hopkins. We felt like that hard work wasn't paying off just yet, that it wasn't yet coming to fruition but was about to," said Williams, who notched 46 points in '19. "Then when everything went down, that 10-day process [of the Blue Jays' coaching search] was tough because I didn't know what was going to happen."

This is 3 paragraphs of delusion. Williams apparently thought the 2017-2020 jays were the 2017-2020 penn state folks. He was 10-13 in his last 23 and got a coach fired. There was nothing good going in that game, season, or with that forry/colwell/williams/darby group.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:44 am
Here's a little bit of delusion - actually maybe quite alot. Reloading not rebuilding was the old paradigm for Hopkins lacrosse - not today. You used to take shots at Petro all the time - now all of a sudden he's the Quint K icon? And no Mr. Milliman can no more snap his fingers and bring in whomever he wants than Petro could. Guess what - Scanlon, Gray and Sowers could help Hopkins win - are they here? -
Hopkins is not stacked with talent - yet. There are alot of holes - Goalie starts it off - only 2 SSDMs listed on the roster - Fernandez helps the groundball play and speed issues but close defense and midfield scoring are still raging dumpster fires.

I am surprised Williams is back -especially before an OC is named. I'm not saying he can't be valuable but inconsistency has been his primary issue and one thing Hopkins has is in terms of talent is people to play attack. SO the midfields will once again be raging with converted attackmen.

Then as pointed out before, with Williams back - the roster stands at 59 - with the other 3 or 4 seniors on the 2021 roster still to be finalized. PM has some decisions to make in that regard.
I agree the defense has been a hot mess. But, as '16 suggested, maybe you can bump Reinson down to close, maybe Frosh Smith can come in and start and maybe they can find someone between the pipes. If JAMO can get the FOs up over 60% it could take some of the pressure off the D.
At least there's something to hope for now as opposed to the same old tired excuses year after year. I think JAMO brings a fresh perspective to the table and I'm hoping for a better overall D in 2021 than we've seen recently.

As far as Williams, I think if PM can get him to play more team oriented lacrosse he could be a significant contributor. Running through double and triple teams is not the answer. Again, there's hope PM and whoever the new OC is can tap CW's untapped potential.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:59 am This is 3 paragraphs of delusion. Williams apparently thought the 2017-2020 jays were the 2017-2020 penn state folks. He was 10-13 in his last 23 and got a coach fired. There was nothing good going in that game, season, or with that forry/colwell/williams/darby group.
The "bench Mabbett" guy has entered the chat.

Seems like you're putting words in the kid's mouth. "We felt like that hard work wasn't paying off yet" doesn't sound delusional to me. There is no comparison to Penn State, or anyone else for that matter. It's the most benign, expected thing he could say and somehow you've twisted it into an excuse to attack him again. Just completely pathological at this point.

We've seen flashes of Williams' monster ceiling but he hasn't been able to put it together on a consistent basis. I wouldn't put it past PM to unlock more of his potential. He's gotten a lot out of much less heralded recruits up in Ithaca.

Still no word about Cornell's seniors. They have an All-American SSDM, Sam Duggan, whose sister played on the Hopkins women's team a few years back. He had 19 GBs and 6 CTs in 5 games this season. Speaking entirely hypothetically, but it seems like it might be a fit for both parties.

Scott Smith is beyond the real deal and will find his way onto the field in one way or another pretty quickly.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Terry Foy suggested Jon Thompson (the ex-Amherst HC) as a possibility for the OC slot in his column today. Maybe just spit-balling, but that's an interesting idea.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Any chance Jack Rapine returns to Hopkins to play his final season?

DocBarrister :?:
@DocBarrister
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Scott Smith is absolutely electric. Put him on the field immediately. What's up with hime being listed as an attackman at times?
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Colwell, McManus, Lyne, Reinson, Jaronski, Fernandez, Glassmeyer, Lilly, and incoming freshmen. Assuming the seniors come back other than Hubler, is there no hope for this crew? New D coach can coach em up. He turned around the UMBC defense pretty quickly.
Fernandez is a big addition. Can we find a goalie? Is Darby essentially who he is or can he take A step forward? Dimarsico?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”