All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:33 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:32 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:37 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:13 am
CU77 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:58 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:45 pm I don’t know who to believe! CU77 or the NYT!
If your reading comprehension was better, you would have understood that there's no contradiction at all between what I wrote and what the NYT wrote.

:lol:

May 7th represented the best testing day for Florida since the start of the #COVID19 pandemic. Florida received nearly 20,000 test results, which yielded only 358 new Florida cases and the lowest statewide positivity rate – 1.89% - on record for new cases.

How's your governor doing?
How is my state doing or how is my Governor doing?...different questions.
Maryland has a significant challenge, but Governor Hogan has been meeting it well.
He has credibility.
Hogan has been doing well. Although, his messaging between "stay at home!" and actions - like allowing Ocean City to open the Baordwalk is questionable.

He's still getting skewered by Dems for cutting overall budgets around the state. You would think he would get a little slack for keepign people alive and well, considering the Democrat strongholds like Montgomery and Prince George's Co. are where there are the most outbreaks are in MD.
Yes, I posted a few days ago that I suspected he would find some small 'gives' on 'opening up' but keep in place the fundamental stay at home order. I haven't been watching the OC behavior, but I think it was restricted to residents only plus distancing etc? Ought to require masks if it doesn't.

yes, we are in a deep blue state so he's bound to take inbound on budget priorities etc, if only for drill. He handles it pretty well, lets most of that roll off his back instead of getting in opponents' faces the way Bobby Ehrlich did (which didn't actually help him).
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:16 pm
Kismet wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:50 pm Image

Daily new U.S. coronavirus cases

May 4 (Monday): 24,713
May 5 (Tuesday): 24,798
May 6 (Wednesday): 25,459
May 7 (Thursday): 29,531
May 8 (Friday): 29,162
Misleading stats -- does not factor in the increase in the numbers tested.

What's the trend in the % of those tested who test + ?
If I'm not mistaken, hospital bed admissions also are rising when excluding NY.
The really interesting #'s will be early June.
Hopefully sunlight really will be a help, but if not...

Just an awful lot of 'dry tinder' out there yet to catch a spark...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

a fan wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:47 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:32 pm He's still getting skewered by Dems for cutting overall budgets around the state.
He has? You have a source for that? I have MD spending going up every year Hogan has been in office.
I'll try to find the clips. Cant remember if it was WBAL or another. He was widely criticized last night on the local news for this one. Democrat-led general assembly was not happy as they had passed a billion dollar education bill:

https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2020 ... es_ap.html
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:12 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:45 pm I don’t know who to believe! CU77 or the NYT!
If your reading comprehension was better, you would have understood that there's no contradiction at all between what I wrote and what the NYT wrote.

May 7th represented the best testing day for Florida since the start of the #COVID19 pandemic. Florida received nearly 20,000 test results, which yielded only 358 new Florida cases and the lowest statewide positivity rate – 1.89% - on record for new cases.

Maryland has a significant challenge, but Governor Hogan has been meeting it well.
He has credibility.
70% of MD's deaths are in nursing homes.
A really, really difficult challenge.
Hospitalizations, though, include a heck of a lot of 'younger' patients.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: The Worst-Case Scenario

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:04 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:50 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:37 pm
njbill wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:23 pm As Cuomo demonstrated yesterday, if you take New York out of the equation, the rest of the country is still on the upswing.
Yep. This is the worst-case scenario: an endless series of regional surges followed by a second wave of regional surges.

The United States has the worst coronavirus pandemic because we have the worst so-called leader, Donald Trump.

DocBarrister :?
I really be that by May 1, 2021, we will be at 500,00 - 750,000 deaths. When it re-emerges in the fall if will have spread much further and much deeper by the time the election is over.
And Joe Biden, with his cranium filled with scrambled eggs, will become the knight in shining armor destined to save the world. He may not remember where, when or how, but save the world he shall. :D
My guess is that he will hire competent people, if he wins. He can’t hire worse people. I really don’t care about Joe Biden anymore than you care about Trump.
My question to you... are there any competent people left in DC? They must be in hiding somewhere waiting for the dust to settle.
Some are more competent than others or some are less incompetent than others. I’ll take less incompetent hires/appointments versus more incompetent.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:29 pm

He has credibility.
It’s more than just deaths. Overwhelming hospital resources while saving lives is a key
consideration. You can do that in the short run but it’s not sustainable.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:29 pm

He has credibility.
Update : now closer to 60%, however the nursing home total has held at 792 for the past several days.
I hope that means corrective actions are working & not a delay in reporting.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:28 pm
a fan wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:47 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:32 pm He's still getting skewered by Dems for cutting overall budgets around the state.
He has? You have a source for that? I have MD spending going up every year Hogan has been in office.
I'll try to find the clips. Cant remember if it was WBAL or another. He was widely criticized last night on the local news for this one. Democrat-led general assembly was not happy as they had passed a billion dollar education bill:

https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2020 ... es_ap.html
It's all relative.
Hogan is personally very popular, his budget priorities much less so.
So, relative to someone less appealing, or more outwardly combative, the 'criticism' would be much more intense.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:30 pm
njbill wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:23 pm As Cuomo demonstrated yesterday, if you take New York out of the equation, the rest of the country is still on the upswing.
Yep. This is the worst-case scenario: an endless series of regional surges followed by a second wave of regional surges.

The United States has the worst coronavirus pandemic because we have the worst so-called leader, Donald Trump.

I really be that by May 1, 2021, we will be at 500,00 - 750,000 deaths. When it re-emerges in the fall if will have spread much further and much deeper by the time the election is over.
And Joe Biden, with his cranium filled with scrambled eggs, will become the knight in shining armor destined to save the world. He may not remember where, when or how, but save the world he shall. :D
My guess is that he will hire competent people, if he wins. He can’t hire worse people. I really don’t care about Joe Biden anymore than you care about Trump.
My question to you... are there any competent people left in DC? They must be in hiding somewhere waiting for the dust to settle.
Some are more competent than others or some are less incompetent than others. I’ll take less incompetent hires/appointments versus more incompetent.
Actually there are a heck of a lot of competent people in civil service, non partisan. You get the true hacks when the political appointments are made more for ideological reasons than for management competence or expertise. Even worse when they're corrupt. That can happen with either party, almost inevitable that there's some of that.

Unfortunately, the Trump Admin has been wildly ideological/corrupt, with almost no regard for competence. You'd have to go way back in history to find an Admin so corrupt and incompetent.

There have been some exceptions, but they've had a very difficult time maintaining their positions. This goes far beyond just those most visible folks...the degree of rank incompetence in political hires is really incredible, which has been pushing out competent civil servants.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

He has credibility.

Florida salons and barbershops reopen Monday. My state is getting back to business. This virus attacks the elderly and obese...focus there and you will be okay. You also don't need to seize the economy.

Last week, we learned about a decision in New York that led to approximately 1,700 casualties solely because Cuomo failed to adequately prepare nursing homes (unlike DeSantis). That’s more COVID deaths with one direct snafu than the entire state of Florida to date…but if you watch the news, you’ll only hear about supposed massive failure on the part of Gov. Ron DeSantis. So I am not sure I lean on news to guide my decisions.

The truth always wins out.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

If you want to track a state on the upswing, look at Nebraska. Not long ago they were under 1,000 next to WV near the bottom. They’ve now passed several states including South Carolina this morning to reach 7,694 cases.

A month earlier they were averaging 44 new cases a day and during the past week were adding about 440 a day. Nebraska now ranks 13th among the states in cases per capita. Part of the steep increase is due to cases at meatpacking centers. Meanwhile, as of last Monday, the governor has relaxed restrictions and restaurants and church services are back in action in some parts.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:12 pm

He has credibility.

Florida salons and barbershops reopen Monday. My state is getting back to business. This virus attacks the elderly and obese...focus there and you will be okay. You also don't need to seize the economy.

Last week, we learned about a decision in New York that led to approximately 1,700 casualties solely because Cuomo failed to adequately prepare nursing homes (unlike DeSantis). That’s more COVID deaths with one direct snafu than the entire state of Florida to date…but if you watch the news, you’ll only hear about supposed massive failure on the part of Gov. Ron DeSantis. So I am not sure I lean on news to guide my decisions.

The truth always wins out.
good luck.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

He has credibility.
My estimation is 30% are not in nursing homes. What if nursing home residents are more easily afflicted, but the rest of the population will just take longer to become ill and their time hasn’t arrived yet.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

worldometer has the Us breaking 80k deaths today, despite drop in daily deaths in NY.

On pace to break 100k by end of May, though we could see a little dip in daily deaths before increase again in June (absent sunlight effect being more important).
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

njbill wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:10 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:54 pm Germany and Italy declared war on the United States, and we didn’t put German or Italian Americans in prison camps.
Hmm. Had we done so, one Fred Trump would’ve spent the war in an internment camp. Maybe wifey would’ve left him, and there never would’ve been a Donald. Oh, one can dream.
My grandfather emigrated to New York City from Germany after WWI. Later Grandma and my mom and her two siblings came over to join him. At the outset of WWII, Poppa was interred for a short time somewhere around NYC before he was released. My Uncle Karl, his son, was already in the US Army and visited the place where Poppa was held. After talking to officials and explaining that Poppa was even in the New York National Guard he was released the next day...So I have a grandfather who fought for the Kaiser in WWI and an Uncle, Poppa's son, who fought for the USA in Italy as a member of the 10th Mountain Division.....
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Jared Kushner is Trump's go-to guy for almost all things. I'll take my chances with Biden. The bar's very low.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Your New Jersey governor logic: :roll: you can fish but no sit. :lol: https://www.instagram.com/p/B__E0FepVmH ... 5xzrmfgftf
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:38 pm

Jared Kushner is Trump's go-to guy for almost all things. I'll take my chances with Biden. The bar's very low.
Unbelievable
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

This is not a shot at Cooter. This is just how quickly things have moved...this was about 2 weeks ago.....we are well over 500 deaths a day. It’s going to slow down but next fall. we will be really really screwed unless we get lucky.

Cooter wrote: ↑
It is going to take a pretty long time at the current death rate of 500 a day, to reach 100,000-200,000 deaths.
Say like 200-400 days.
With the curve of new cases starting to flatten out - it could mean that this will be a somewhat constant rate.

I personally look at living this way for the next 6 months as rather unacceptable.

Many state governors have been reluctant to adopt measures against the spread of the disease. We just went on lock down in MD, after starting to go on shut down 2 weeks ago.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”