All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

wgdsr

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

Carroll81 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:31 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:13 pm
ggait wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:58 pm
not old people. in nursing homes and long term care facilities only. it would seem there's a fairly straightforward way to reduce deaths in a major way, and that's to start treating nursing homes like they are the fort knox of covid.
WG -- do you know anyone in an elder care facility? The ones I know have been in crazy DefCon 1 lockdown for quite some time and that isn't going away any time soon.

So I'm not sure what more you could really be doing on this front, honestly. Lock all the workers inside the facility 24/7? Move people out of these facilities? But they still need to be somewhere and still need workers to provide them high touch care?

What is your straightforward solution?
if what you're saying (and by what you didn't say) is true, i assume there have been no outbreaks there? maybe it means they're doing all that they can.
it hasn't gotten into every facility. some might be lucky, but the ones that have had better "luck" by now probably have had by and large better protocols. that would leave unlucky facilities and probably some large percentage that have holes in their procedures.
what are those holes and those procedures? they won't be asking me, but it probably would be instructive to start with a survey and where things may have been failing.

no visitors.
tests for anyone with direct contact with patients every 2 weeks. same with anyone that has had close contact with anyone confirmed at any level.
hopefully procedures are already in place most places, but even a law (or industry standard) mandating workers taking a body temp test before entering workplace.
many other things are certainly being done but might not be universal (i.e one nursing home isolates patients and any workers who have contact with them. others might have those workes using ppe but working with others in the facility).
don't have workers do 1 job throughout the whole facility, but rather have a tight rotation and multi task with other workers those jobs that can be doubled up.
there's plenty of other ideas that me or anyone could throw at it, including money, housing... but it doesn't make sense to hear any details from me, i have no idea how it's getting in. most or all ideas i have probably s*ck. i just know it doesn't jump fences or walk through doors on its own.... the straightforward solution lies in how it got into the facilities in the first place. and what could've been done to avoid it. and once it's in, to corral it.
It is getting in through the healthcare workers. They work, they go home, they are exposed outside the facility and they bring it back in with them. Short of isolating the workers, you can't keep it out. Taking temperatures and testing every 2 weeks reduce the incidence, but will not keep it out.

A large majority of the workers in these facilities are not highly trained health are workers. They are not trained in PPE and they do not understand it's importance. Very often they work in more than one facility.

The facilities are getting better at managing it - isolation, restricting staff, etc. But it is still really hard.
yes, have had several clients tell me that in the last month. increased training? or possibly add to the rolls with those going into the field (nursing schools who may have suspended classes for summer?) in order to space out hours... time on/time off to allow testing pre-hours and sleep on site? then a week off..
don't know the answer.
here's florida's site.
https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/
has link to long term care numbers. many outbreaks, also a lot of facilities with no numbers. seem to be many more facilities that have at least one staff member and no patients. hopefully one reason is good protocols at those.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:58 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:45 pm I don’t know who to believe! CU77 or the NYT!
If your reading comprehension was better, you would have understood that there's no contradiction at all between what I wrote and what the NYT wrote.

:lol:

May 7th represented the best testing day for Florida since the start of the #COVID19 pandemic. Florida received nearly 20,000 test results, which yielded only 358 new Florida cases and the lowest statewide positivity rate – 1.89% - on record for new cases.

How's your governor doing?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

78,000 dead and the current number of active infections and mortality rate predict 140,000 dead if no new infections in the US after yesterday (which of course will not be the case). New infections are holding at a steady pace. No reason to believe these will decline with Orange Duce trying to open everything up.

This is not a pretty picture. Trump and his stooges are going to regret trying to move forward with massive re-openings. Thankfully I think the citizenry has better sense and will not reopen to the extent Orange Duce and his Duce Bags will try to.

Speaking of Duce Bags, newly hired presidential liar Kayleigh McEnany who promised never to lie to the American public has broken her promise already.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

tech37 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:00 pm
njbill wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:42 pm Glad you agree it was a media stunt.

Poorly planned and orchestrated in my view. He picks a place close to his office, a place he apparently was not otherwise visiting? No masks? No social distancing? And this with people in his office infected? Not a good look. But then, yeah, I’m not a Pence fan.

Joe hasn’t checked in with me today, but as far as I know, he is still in his basement. For my money, the fewer times he talks, especially on camera, the better. Let’s just get over the Nov. 3 finish line, baby.
Right. It's quite obvious the Dem strateegery is to passively watch the Trump admin fumble and fail under the Covid siege and at same time keep Joe out of the gaffe/senility zone. It's risky but in spite of the Dems vapid thinking and lack of cooperation, it certainly could work.

Right now I'm betting on the folks who are trying hard to fix things, warts and all.
:lol: :lol: Trumps is attempting to censor or worse, fire anyone trying to make things better. :roll:
Last edited by jhu72 on Sat May 09, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:42 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:43 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:33 pm
6ftstick wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:18 pm Whoopsie

As of May 4th

66% of all U.S. counties have no more than one coronavirus death,
80% have five or fewer,
86% have 10 or fewer,
and 89% have fewer than 15.
Kind of matches the straw poll for this thread, above.
Like any of this means anything. :lol: What is the population density of those counties? You are not going to catch COVID if you don't interact with other humans. So you are telling us that 66% of all US counties are naturally self distancing. Like this should surprise anyone that knows even a little geography. :roll:
And you’re suddenly a stickler for the context of the stats! Bravo, JHU- Here’s hoping you can keep this up for all future posts!

Be nice if you tried it sometime. :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:03 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:45 pm
old salt wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:22 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:18 pm Once we get the current outbreak under control, I don’t see us going back to life as normal for everyone other than old people unless we have ramped up testing and tracking capabilities.

I would expect more of an emphasis on the elderly and folks with underlying conditions.
It will be expensive & inconvenient, but nursing homes, assisted living facilities, & senior living communities can be made safe.

As you've indicated before, how do we isolate & sustain the seniors & other's at risk who do not have the means to safeguard themselves or take advantage of one of the above residential options.

I'm not confident there's public or govt support or capability to address this. I fear we are on our own to provide for ourselves & there will continue to be a high mortality rate among seniors until there is a vaccine.
Protecting oneself when able to should be a given. I heard from another friend just outside Paris also. They will be able to get out of the house for virtually the first time in 55 days. We just don’t have that kind of discipline here.
… and we will pay for it. Numbers are already starting to bounce back based on what I am seeing.
The average American is as stupid as a stump.
Perhaps, but still smarter than the pond scum scamming the country from the Oval Office.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:43 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:39 pm I don't think Pence actually believes himself to be a VSG.
I think he believes himself to be an agent of God. I don't think he believes a word of his Trump sycophancy; that's just to keep himself in the #2 slot, ready to take over and rule God's Kingdom on Earth, as he was born to do.
Yup. Pence is the vanguard of American Christian Fascism.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:49 pm Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/health/h ... index.html

The earth will be fine.
… probably republican rat 'ers, like Roger Stone. :lol:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

seacoaster wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:19 am Pretty good thread:

https://twitter.com/cmyeaton/status/1258511596713738240
Catlin Rivers is of course correct. It is pure desperation on Trumps part.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:13 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:45 pm I don’t know who to believe! CU77 or the NYT!
If your reading comprehension was better, you would have understood that there's no contradiction at all between what I wrote and what the NYT wrote.

May 7th represented the best testing day for Florida since the start of the #COVID19 pandemic. Florida received nearly 20,000 test results, which yielded only 358 new Florida cases and the lowest statewide positivity rate – 1.89% - on record for new cases.

How is my state doing or how is my Governor doing?...different questions.
Maryland has a significant challenge, but Governor Hogan has been meeting it well.
He has credibility.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:01 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:03 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:45 pm
old salt wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:22 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:18 pm Once we get the current outbreak under control, I don’t see us going back to life as normal for everyone other than old people unless we have ramped up testing and tracking capabilities.

I would expect more of an emphasis on the elderly and folks with underlying conditions.
It will be expensive & inconvenient, but nursing homes, assisted living facilities, & senior living communities can be made safe.

As you've indicated before, how do we isolate & sustain the seniors & other's at risk who do not have the means to safeguard themselves or take advantage of one of the above residential options.

I'm not confident there's public or govt support or capability to address this. I fear we are on our own to provide for ourselves & there will continue to be a high mortality rate among seniors until there is a vaccine.
Protecting oneself when able to should be a given. I heard from another friend just outside Paris also. They will be able to get out of the house for virtually the first time in 55 days. We just don’t have that kind of discipline here.
… and we will pay for it. Numbers are already starting to bounce back based on what I am seeing.
The average American is as stupid as a stump.
Perhaps, but still smarter than the pond scum scamming the country from the Oval Office.
on average.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

We are not New Zealand but we can learn some things.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ne ... r-BB13qQYu
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Flu in the bad old days -

Stanley Cup cancelled:

MLB players & ump wear masks:

Note how fans in the background wore masks as well.

Even the team's mascot wore a mask:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Daily new U.S. coronavirus cases

May 4 (Monday): 24,713
May 5 (Tuesday): 24,798
May 6 (Wednesday): 25,459
May 7 (Thursday): 29,531
May 8 (Friday): 29,162
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Kismet wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:50 pm Image

Daily new U.S. coronavirus cases

May 4 (Monday): 24,713
May 5 (Tuesday): 24,798
May 6 (Wednesday): 25,459
May 7 (Thursday): 29,531
May 8 (Friday): 29,162
May as well get the peasants back to work. It’s not getting better fast enough.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Homicidal Trump Admits Real Reason He Opposes Testing

Post by DocBarrister »

Trump finally admitted why he opposes more extensive coronavirus testing: he’s afraid it would make us (him) look bad.

Though public-health experts have consistently said the US needs to ramp up testing for the coronavirus to contain and defeat it, President Donald Trump does not see it that way.

On Wednesday, Trump said that too much testing makes the US "look bad."

"So the media likes to say we have the most cases, but we do, by far, the most testing. If we did very little testing, we wouldn't have the most cases. So, in a way, by doing all of this testing, we make ourselves look bad," Trump said during a meeting with Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-s ... bad-2020-5

Trump’s deliberate efforts to restrict coronavirus testing in order to help himself politically is tantamount to mass homicide.

Does anyone really deny this?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
njbill

Post by njbill »

As Cuomo demonstrated yesterday, if you take New York out of the equation, the rest of the country is still on the upswing.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Today's tweet of the day from actor, George Takei (Lt. Sulu from Starship Enterprise), American-born Japanese American citizen who makes an appropriate point on liberty and freedom having been interned in a camp during World War II

George Takei
@GeorgeTakei
·
16h
"I didn't spend my childhood in barbed wire enclosed internment camps so I could listen to grown adults today cry oppression because they have to wear a mask at Costco."

He has a point, don't ya think?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:37 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:13 am

How is my state doing or how is my Governor doing?...different questions.
Maryland has a significant challenge, but Governor Hogan has been meeting it well.
He has credibility.
Hogan has been doing well. Although, his messaging between "stay at home!" and actions - like allowing Ocean City to open the Baordwalk is questionable.

He's still getting skewered by Dems for cutting overall budgets around the state. You would think he would get a little slack for keepign people alive and well, considering the Democrat strongholds are where there are the most outbreaks are in MD.

Return to “POLITICS”