All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

jhu72

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:59 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:13 pm
ggait wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:58 pm
not old people. in nursing homes and long term care facilities only. it would seem there's a fairly straightforward way to reduce deaths in a major way, and that's to start treating nursing homes like they are the fort knox of covid.
WG -- do you know anyone in an elder care facility? The ones I know have been in crazy DefCon 1 lockdown for quite some time and that isn't going away any time soon.

So I'm not sure what more you could really be doing on this front, honestly. Lock all the workers inside the facility 24/7? Move people out of these facilities? But they still need to be somewhere and still need workers to provide them high touch care?

What is your straightforward solution?
if what you're saying (and by what you didn't say) is true, i assume there have been no outbreaks there? maybe it means they're doing all that they can.
it hasn't gotten into every facility. some might be lucky, but the ones that have had better "luck" by now probably have had by and large better protocols. that would leave unlucky facilities and probably some large percentage that have holes in their procedures.
what are those holes and those procedures? they won't be asking me, but it probably would be instructive to start with a survey and where things may have been failing.

no visitors.
tests for anyone with direct contact with patients every 2 weeks. same with anyone that has had close contact with anyone confirmed at any level.
hopefully procedures are already in place most places, but even a law (or industry standard) mandating workers taking a body temp test before entering workplace.
many other things are certainly being done but might not be universal (i.e one nursing home isolates patients and any workers who have contact with them. others might have those workes using ppe but working with others in the facility).
don't have workers do 1 job throughout the whole facility, but rather have a tight rotation and multi task with other workers those jobs that can be doubled up.
there's plenty of other ideas that me or anyone could throw at it, including money, housing... but it doesn't make sense to hear any details from me, i have no idea how it's getting in. most or all ideas i have probably s*ck. i just know it doesn't jump fences or walk through doors on its own.... the straightforward solution lies in how it got into the facilities in the first place. and what could've been done to avoid it. and once it's in, to corral it.
No visitation is unsustainable. You'll have separated elder spouses and middle aged children into two categories - those who love their elder parent and will do everything possible to keep them from entering a nursing home, and those who can't wait to be rid of the obligation. Put'em in, forget about them, and pick up the coffin after they die.
… and there is a business model for this!
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
CU77

Post by CU77 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:43 pm
CU77 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:35 pm Situation in Florida, from NYT:
A 35-year-old man in Broward County was riding an all-terrain vehicle nine days after testing positive for the coronavirus. At one point, he stopped his A.T.V. and called his father, who had been trailing him, and told him he did not feel well. When his father drove up, he found his son unresponsive, slumped over on the A.T.V. He was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

A 39-year-old disc jockey in Lee County who was twice denied a coronavirus test at an outpatient clinic was hospitalized in March with shortness of breath.

Three days later, he died.
What is your point?
PB claims that only old people die from C19, and that things are just fine in Florida.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:45 pm
old salt wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:22 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:18 pm Once we get the current outbreak under control, I don’t see us going back to life as normal for everyone other than old people unless we have ramped up testing and tracking capabilities.

I would expect more of an emphasis on the elderly and folks with underlying conditions.
It will be expensive & inconvenient, but nursing homes, assisted living facilities, & senior living communities can be made safe.

As you've indicated before, how do we isolate & sustain the seniors & other's at risk who do not have the means to safeguard themselves or take advantage of one of the above residential options.

I'm not confident there's public or govt support or capability to address this. I fear we are on our own to provide for ourselves & there will continue to be a high mortality rate among seniors until there is a vaccine.
Protecting oneself when able to should be a given. I heard from another friend just outside Paris also. They will be able to get out of the house for virtually the first time in 55 days. We just don’t have that kind of discipline here.
… and we will pay for it. Numbers are already starting to bounce back based on what I am seeing.
The average American is as stupid as a stump.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:09 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:51 pm So, how do we feel about Pence making a show of delivering 'supplies' to a nursing home...with empty boxes for show?
Politicians do photo ops like this all the time. Nothing sandwich. Who was it that was in the tank? OS would know. Dukakis? Can't remember.

The problem, obviously, is the shortage of PPE and masks make this look REALLY bad.
of course they do...I think it was PB who was outraged just a day ago that cbs or another network had arranged for some footage to be taken that was not actual patients etc at a hospital. Going for the effect.

But enormously bad optics when revealed that the boxes were empty...ala the promises?
and then to a staff member come down...no masks?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:08 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:43 pm
CU77 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:35 pm Situation in Florida, from NYT:
A 35-year-old man in Broward County was riding an all-terrain vehicle nine days after testing positive for the coronavirus. At one point, he stopped his A.T.V. and called his father, who had been trailing him, and told him he did not feel well. When his father drove up, he found his son unresponsive, slumped over on the A.T.V. He was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

A 39-year-old disc jockey in Lee County who was twice denied a coronavirus test at an outpatient clinic was hospitalized in March with shortness of breath.

Three days later, he died.
What is your point?
PB claims that only old people die from C19, and that things are just fine in Florida.

Population:

Florida: 21,500,000
New York: 19,500,000

Coronavirus cases:

FL: 38,828
NY: 337,421

Coronavirus deaths:

FL: 1,600
NY: 26,365

“The beaches!!!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:12 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:51 pm So, how do we feel about Pence making a show of delivering 'supplies' to a nursing home...with empty boxes for show?
Politicians do photo ops like this all the time. Nothing sandwich. Who was it that was in the tank? OS would know. Dukakis? Can't remember.

The problem, obviously, is the shortage of PPE and masks make this look REALLY bad.
of course they do...I think it was PB who was outraged just a day ago that cbs or another network had arranged for some footage to be taken that was not actual patients etc at a hospital. Going for the effect.

But enormously bad optics when revealed that the boxes were empty...ala the promises?
So now you hate Pence as well....I thought it was just Trump. Guilty by association, maybe? Your inner RINO is coming out. ;) :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:26 pm

So now you hate Pence as well....I thought it was just Trump. Guilty by association, maybe? Your inner RINO is coming out. ;) :lol:
"hate"?
No, but I do think he's an empty suit, a Trump asslicker.

I don't agree with a number of his supposed 'morality' views, but those pale in comparison to the sycophancy.

But if Trump was suddenly incapacitated and Pence became President instead?
Way, way better situation.
I don't think Pence actually believes himself to be a VSG.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:24 pm Population:

Coronavirus cases:

Coronavirus deaths:

“The beaches!!!”
The question is not the past, but the future. NY is bad because the virus got started there early (imported from Italy). Florida has no magic immunity; keep up high contact activity, and the virus will spread there too.

As for the beaches, most people on the beaches are tourists from out of state. If they catch covid, it doesn't show up in Florida's numbers.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:39 pm I don't think Pence actually believes himself to be a VSG.
I think he believes himself to be an agent of God. I don't think he believes a word of his Trump sycophancy; that's just to keep himself in the #2 slot, ready to take over and rule God's Kingdom on Earth, as he was born to do.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it was a joke. from nbc and wapo:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white- ... y-n1202941
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... pty-boxes/
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:41 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:24 pm Population:

Coronavirus cases:

Coronavirus deaths:

“The beaches!!!”
The question is not the past, but the future. NY is bad because the virus got started there early (imported from Italy). Florida has no magic immunity; keep up high contact activity, and the virus will spread there too.

As for the beaches, most people on the beaches are tourists from out of state. If they catch covid, it doesn't show up in Florida's numbers.

That’s weird because the Democrats’ bible, aka The New York Times, said New York spread the virus not Florida tourists.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/us/n ... break.html

I don’t know who to believe! CU77 or the NYT! You’re gonna need to sort the truth out yourselves.

:lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:44 pm

Never believe the story when the liberal narrative is too perfect. Think Rolling Stone UVA. How often must we do this?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Yes...the van was full of empty boxes to make it look full...only needed two actual full boxes of something to deliver...for the cameras...

But gotta have a full van because so many deliveries to do...
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:45 pm I don’t know who to believe! CU77 or the NYT!
If your reading comprehension was better, you would have understood that there's no contradiction at all between what I wrote and what the NYT wrote.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:58 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:45 pm I don’t know who to believe! CU77 or the NYT!
If your reading comprehension was better, you would have understood that there's no contradiction at all between what I wrote and what the NYT wrote.
he flunked Reading 101, the prerequisite for Reading Comprehension, girls distracted him..then went to Russia where it wouldn't matter...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:48 pm

Yes...the van was full of empty boxes to make it look full...only needed two actual full boxes of something to deliver...for the cameras...

what are you talking about? it's ok, we all make mistakes. evidently you're not alone on this one. the key is admitting them and moving along.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?471876-1/ ... ion-center
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:01 pm

what are you talking about? it's ok, we all make mistakes. evidently you're not alone on this one. the key is admitting them and moving along.
ahhh, not the first and probably won't be the last time you correct me wgdsr and are right to do so!

Yup, they did unload a bunch of full boxes. You are right!

But not so sure I'm not correct that the rest of the boxes in the van were empty. When Pence begins to go for the next ones, the guy clearly tells him that "they're empty, sir"...Pence then makes a joke about them being "easier", but stops unloading.

Why did they have a bunch more boxes...if they were empty?
Or am I mis-hearing what the guy tells Pence?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:11 pmahhh, not the first and probably won't be the last time you correct me wgdsr and are right to do so!

But not so sure I'm not correct that the rest of the boxes in the van were empty. When Pence begins to go for the next ones, the guy clearly tells him that "they're empty, sir"...Pence then makes a joke about them being "easier", but stops unloading.

who the hell knows? do you think pence, knowing the future camera angle and that they would only have 3/4 of a van's worth of boxes (and not knowing how microphones work), ordered that empty boxes take up the last 1/4 of the van? so that... well i can't even think of a reason why he'd care about the last 1/4 of a van's space.

maybe they were put in there by the guy driving so everything didn't slide around.
maybe he's moving, delivered supplies earlier and took the boxes and he's going to drop them off at his house after work to help with his packing.

it was a non-story was my point. click bait that seems to be all the rage everywhere nowadays. don't we have enough material to work with without being a little discerning?!?!?!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:11 pm

ahhh, not the first and probably won't be the last time you correct me wgdsr and are right to do so!

Not Zapruder territory but Pence’a first box. Was full. He struggled with it. The guy carry the second had a light box if not empty. Rock and a hard place as Pence couldn’t just drop off one box. Would have been criticized for doing too little. So to make it look good, carry in some more. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. These guys can’t leave town soon enough. The D team on so many levels.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:11 pm

:lol: :roll:

Return to “POLITICS”