All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Jay Leno is laughing because he bought this spot cheap when all the other buyers ran away due to concerns with climate change! Worst case scenario for Jay is that he can become a greeter at Walmart when his property is flooded! He bought this place cheap enough.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:
a fan wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:Well, sea levels rising.....that is why ocean front condo's in Miami are selling for millions confused2
You keep saying this, like the logic is unassailable. It's like saying because people get into their cars, accidents or death is impossible. Or that because people live next to the Mississippi, that means that river will never flood. You're not making any sense.

ZONING laws. Building requirements.

Your example of a car is poor, to say the least....if you continued to risk death after a recall on a car you are upping your chances, yes. But your example is so flawed....where to begin. What is the REWARD for building on property that will be underwater?

I have an acquaintance that works for the city of Miami in permitting. (historic mostly ) and he was a strong believer in the new religion. Not really understanding how you are confused by the illogical government that tells you to reduce your footprint of carbon and takes seriously the issue of sea level rizing. (nick saban's house is on a LAKE, mr
staying at a hotel 8)....but yet, they allow you to build on CURRENT floodzones, forget about years from now.
Why not build on a dump landfill or superfund site?

Regarding building along the Mississippi. Again, just the lack of reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yROpRU35aYY

Ever been to Natchez, MI? Most of the town built on the bluff. Across the river, Valdelia, LA is built on lower elevations. uttOh. Lots of levees on the Mississippi. You know what is lacking on the banks of a fresh water river? Million dollar homes. Go to a real estate website like zillow. mouse up the Mississippi river. You will find that there are barely any homes built on the flood plain. Been to Vicksburg? Cool town. Another bluff.

But, you are telling me to TRUST the believers.....trust that the seas will rize (this is the catastrophic outcome, yes? )
And then, you turn abound and MOCK ME b/c I am not understanding why real estate that will be under water is so valuable. or even allowed to be built.

Clearly, you could never support a political candidate like Bloomberg, who bans sugary sodas for the good of the people. Another believer in the new religion, Mayor B. allowed re-development. Lots of low lying HIGH rizers with tRumps name on the mid-upper west side. Henry Hudson raised in this location. Basement at the Riverside tRump built complex have water pumps ?
Mayor B knows climate change is a hoax....that is the reason "he" is allowing building.
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

So, just to confirm. It's a good idea to purchase this NEW home b/c it won't be subject to sea level rize?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/new_homes/ ... _zm/0_mmm/

Why the F would a home in Miami have a heating system?

Over 500 NEW homes for sale. Most on or near salt water.

Thought liberals pretended to care about consumer protection. Why not just allow lead paint to be used....again ?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:So, just to confirm. It's a good idea to purchase this NEW home b/c it won't be subject to sea level rize?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/new_homes/ ... _zm/0_mmm/

Why the F would a home in Miami have a heating system?

Over 500 NEW homes for sale. Most on or near salt water.

Thought liberals pretended to care about consumer protection. Why not just allow lead paint to be used....again ?
What is this poor soul going to do when this home is under water.... It must have taken the buyer years to scrape together the down payment. Probably had to buy PMI too! The government needs to protect folks like this. Probably walked up here from El Salvador
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

runrussellrun wrote: Your example of a car is poor, to say the least....if you continued to risk death after a recall on a car you are upping your chances, yes. But your example is so flawed....where to begin. What is the REWARD for building on property that will be underwater?
You're assuming that zoning is logical. You're assuming that people are logical. You're trying to connect global warming to zoning laws...which is patently absurd.

Hand zoning power for Dade County to Sierra Club members. What do you suppose they'd do? Exactly. And when they told guys like that you could no longer build on beachfront property...would that mean that you'd think they were right, and that this "proves" Global Warming? No. Of course not.

You're not making any sense, and you know it.

You're a contrarian. It's in your DNA, my man.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

runrussellrun wrote:
dislaxxic wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:I spell better, ramble less, but, like the old joke about the girl and the poop, "there must be a pony in there somewhere".
I think it's quite reasonable to recognize that there's lots of hypocrisy out there.

But that doesn't mean that the issues aren't real nor that many small decisions don't add up.
On the other hand, like any such matter, some decisions and regulations make a heck of a lot more sense than others.
Some people think micro, some think macro.
"Ramble" sure is a nice way to put it...
Both my cars get over 39 mpg...hip, hip, hoorra...oh, never mind...

Good for you. Guess NOT declaring ref income is paying off and you can afford a new car..........but read this please.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ofriendly/

Now for a personnel question. What is your homes kWh's usage, per month? Do YOU have solar panels? Most home owner ASSociations in Maryland do NOT allow them. I am sure mdlax and jhu72 are aghast at that.

72 is most definitely not opposed to solar panel usage or their placement on structures. I do live in a community with a home owners association. The covenants have no prohibition against solar panel usage or deployment. My home owner association also has no power to really do anything, because I personally fought their effort to amend the covenants to charge or collect dues. The courts in Maryland have also supported home owners against home owner associations in regards to deployment of solar panels.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

foreverlax wrote:We would love all science to be precise and accurate, but it doesn't always work out that way. Assumptions are made to test theories.

For me, this is a simple issue -

1. Man has changed nature over the past few centuries, via "pollution". That is a fact.

2. Pollution is bad - also a fact

3. Some portion of that impact is measurable and comparisons came be drawn - fact

When I look at all the arguments, for and against, it's clear to me that humans are having a negative impact on the environment.

Free markets will not solve this issue, but incremental steps taken by individuals, along with some common sense measures by global .gov is the only way forward, imo.

For those who are convinced this is all a hoax, there is nothing to discuss. My Aunt was convinced that OJ was innocent....no point in trying to suggest otherwise.
my primary thought on all of this, is let's focus on the things we KNOW we can control and impact: less solid waste, actually repair the damage done by mining, not wipe out virgin forest or jungle. You know, clean up after ourselves.

Where I loose patience is on the boondoggle crap like wind and solar that don't do anything but make some guy and his lobbyist money. And for the record (because I have already heard the refrains) - no I am not worried about somebody making money, I am worried about us doing stupid stuff because somebody used his money to influence the government to do something stupid.

Let's make people live up to the old camping motto of "leave no trace" before we start mandating technologies that don't work and at times actually makes things worse....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

This people continue to build on waterfront property is such a nonsense argument.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu72

couldn't agree more. :lol:

So tell us, what part of global warming is catostrophic, if NOT oceans rizing?

Is google maps up to date? I see the solar panels installed on Hopkins parking garage, just like the ones installed at the local HS (you can't spell LoSer without LS ;) )

Just wondering why I don't see them in Mt. Airy, Lutherville, Columbia, Annapolis, Bethesda, Potomac, Damascus, Urbana, Hagerstown .....not even in Hagerstown? All the pretend liberals in Maryland, just can't seem to install them. Any junk land near NSA, BWI airport, Dundalk or Sparrows Point?

exactly
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

There is one in Southern Maryland. Leave it to real country men to build things. ;) https://www.smeco.coop/about/smeco-solar
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:jhu72

couldn't agree more. :lol:

So tell us, what part of global warming is catostrophic, if NOT oceans rizing?

Is google maps up to date? I see the solar panels installed on Hopkins parking garage, just like the ones installed at the local HS (you can't spell LoSer without LS ;) )

Just wondering why I don't see them in Mt. Airy, Lutherville, Columbia, Annapolis, Bethesda, Potomac, Damascus, Urbana, Hagerstown .....not even in Hagerstown? All the pretend liberals in Maryland, just can't seem to install them. Any junk land near NSA, BWI airport, Dundalk or Sparrows Point?

exactly
Not a pretend?

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 0071-41554

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news ... /534818636

Indirect investment in solar! Every bit helps.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:Image

Jay Leno is laughing because he bought this spot cheap when all the other buyers ran away due to concerns with climate change! Worst case scenario for Jay is that he can become a greeter at Walmart when his property is flooded! He bought this place cheap enough.
The "chicken little brigades" hard at work again I see. :lol:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
CU77

Post by CU77 »

runrussellrun wrote:Thought liberals pretended to care about consumer protection?
We do care. But we don't control the gubmint in Miami. If we did, we would change the zoning laws to prevent this.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

There's more of us than you think.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jVZKw521HU

or dont'

Gov. Jesse's girl for threadAncy Pres
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:There's more of us than you think.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jVZKw521HU

or dont'

Gov. Jesse's girl for threadAncy Pres
Don't you know the period that Haystack Calhoun is referencing was when Noah built his ark!

Randy needs to do more testing before he can flesh out his theory....maybe after a few beers at the Road House....
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

What Killed the Great Beasts of North America?
Moreover, the team reports in the 1 February issue of Quaternary Science Reviews, even though humans and megafauna continued to coexist for about 1000 years before the animals finally went extinct, the animals were already on their way out: Between 75% and 90% of the northeastern megafauna were gone before humans ever came on the scene. Yet even during the millennium of human and animal overlap, the team argues, there is no evidence for hunting: Neither megafaunal nor Paleoindian sites in the northeast contained animal bones that were butchered or otherwise modified.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Neat topic...thank RRR for posting the video.

Interesting how they found so many of the mammoth graveyards near the edge of water-bodies. No different than people who colonized near bodies of water...for sustainable life. Either a cataclysmic did indeed take place washing them out along the coastlines or possibly something that temporarily killed off vegetation from a cataclysmic event....which forced them towards the water to sustain life, but they had no chance. Hard to believe they slowly ran out of food which gravitated them all to water.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Good explanation. I am looking for the full article without paying....but what do these people know.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28812683

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18199470
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

From your 2nd link...

Overall, the data are consistent with the conclusion that humans acted as efficient hunters selecting for the most abundant species. Our study supports the idea that the late Pleistocene extinctions were environmentally driven by climatic changes that triggered habitat fragmentation, species range reduction, and population decrease, after which human interference either by direct hunting or via indirect activities probably became critical.

Seems like they wanted to cover all their bases in their closing statement. Hell, you and I could've come up with that. :lol:
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote:From your 2nd link...

Overall, the data are consistent with the conclusion that humans acted as efficient hunters selecting for the most abundant species. Our study supports the idea that the late Pleistocene extinctions were environmentally driven by climatic changes that triggered habitat fragmentation, species range reduction, and population decrease, after which human interference either by direct hunting or via indirect activities probably became critical.

Seems like they wanted to cover all their bases in their closing statement. Hell, you and I could've come up with that. :lol:
Seems like they are just pointing out what the data reflects: This was in the article:

“However, evidence for human overexploitation applies only to the extinct steppe bison Bison priscus.”

My guess is that knife/weapon marks on bones over a statistically valid sample of this species is what led to the conclusion
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”