Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:01 pm But, the persona and image that the Rabil/Harrison/PLL camp puts out there is, imo, the absolute worst thing to happen to Hopkins lacrosse.
Wait...I thought that was Ron Daniels? Or "PC culture?" Or early recruiting? Now it's two of our most successful recent alumni?

Kyle Harrison is an incredible ambassador for the school and has done more for the sport of lacrosse and for Hopkins than you could imagine doing in infinite lifetimes. The sold out PLL game at Homewood was great free publicity for the program.

You don't have to like it—lucky for you their target demographic isn't out-of-touch dinosaurs. I think their success on social media speaks to an ability to connect with younger lacrosse players and fans, who are the people they need to be reaching. If they tried to appease the geezers pining for "the good old days" when people acted a certain way, and neglected the next generation of fans, then the sport would die out and there might not even be a Hopkins lacrosse program to complain about.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

This Hop board is amusing enough to merit a better standard of play at Homewood. Here's hoping that PM delivers.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Hopkins Lacrosse will be around far longer than the PLL.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:01 pm I've never met Rabil, I only know what I see on social media, so my criticism is not directed at him as a person at all. But, the persona and image that the Rabil/Harrison/PLL camp puts out there is, imo, the absolute worst thing to happen to Hopkins lacrosse. Everything is cringe inducing peddling. I admire and respect his drive and passion and business acumen, but, like Lil Xan or tampons, it's just not for me. Did you see Al Roker's face? He wasn't buying it. My taste is more Thompsons, Powells, and Curtis Dicksons of the world.
Don’t include Harrison in that group who is truly a humble ambassador for the sport and Hopkins. Durkin is too. PLL Club Narcissism is Rabil, Hartzell and Pannell. You do have good taste with your list though.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

+1
Kyle Harrison is one of the truly nicest young men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I remember attending a celebration of the 2005 team that fall before a Hopkins football game and I guess my son was 12 and my daughter 10. All the players were very kind and generous but he went above and beyond with all the kids. Maybe still my daughter's favorite athlete. I am in the tank for Harry.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Don't know how good the competition is out in western PA, but this kid looks pretty good to me:

Says here he also considered Penn State, Ohio State, and Villanova (among others) before choosing JHU: https://phillylacrosse.com/2018/mainlin ... s-hopkins/
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Koesterer is in!

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 2674574337
Breaking: @jhumenslacrosse is expected to hire @UMBC_MLax assistant and 2007 Hopkins alum Jamison Koesterer as the Blue Jays' defensive coordinator, multiple sources have confirmed. Story coming on @Inside_Lacrosse.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:57 am Koesterer is in!

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 2674574337
Breaking: @jhumenslacrosse is expected to hire @UMBC_MLax assistant and 2007 Hopkins alum Jamison Koesterer as the Blue Jays' defensive coordinator, multiple sources have confirmed. Story coming on @Inside_Lacrosse.
Yes!!!!
This is the choice we were hoping for.
The Face-offs were great when he was here last.
This is a great move.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Here's the official announcement from Ernie:

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2020/5/8 ... nator.aspx

UMBC defense was ranked #6 this year before the season was cut short. Was #1 in the country in 2018.

From an IL story on UMBC's defense last year:
The architect of most of the schemes and off-field prep is Koesterer, the aforementioned Coach K. His defenders speak glowingly of him, admiring his commitment, passion, and energy. They say he’s the type of guy who will wear shorts in freezing cold weather and brings the juice that can motivate the team on even their most exhausting days.

“He’s a mad genius when it comes to lacrosse. He’s one of the best up-and-coming minds in the sport I would say right now,” says Griffin. “I’ll walk into his office after a weekend, and he has got on his board a brand new defense that I’ve never seen before in my entire life or that I’ve never heard of. And I feel like he’s been in there all weekend, sitting there day and night just like writing it up on the board. And I’m blown away because it’s so interesting to see what’s going on in his mind. Some of the stuff that we’re doing — I like to think is really ahead of the ball.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

sounds like some complicated defensive schemes coming up. the academic bar is high at jhu, they should be ready for it.

congrats to jhu and koesterer.

guess alumni should be happy(ier)?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Very justifiable choice but once again let's pump the brakes. Let's review the UMBC schedule and wins to date this year
MSM - 3-5
Towson 0-6
Sacred Heart 1-5
High Point 2-6

Even Hopkins defense would be ranked higher with this schedule and games against VMI/Hartford/Binghampton and UMASSLowell looming - also notice Hopkins only 2 wins are on this list

Hopefully, he'll do a great job and get the kids on defense to buy in and play better as a unit - but we need speed/talent on that side of the field -especially ground ball skills
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:27 am Very justifiable choice but once again let's pump the brakes. Let's review the UMBC schedule and wins to date this year
MSM - 3-5
Towson 0-6
Sacred Heart 1-5
High Point 2-6

Even Hopkins defense would be ranked higher with this schedule and games against VMI/Hartford/Binghampton and UMASSLowell looming - also notice Hopkins only 2 wins are on this list

Hopefully, he'll do a great job and get the kids on defense to buy in and play better as a unit - but we need speed/talent on that side of the field -especially ground ball skills
Fair enough, though In 2018, UMBC was #3 in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency, which does account for the strength of opposing offenses. That year they held Richmond, Navy, Towson, Michigan, and Albany all below 9 goals. They were #19 in the same metric in 2017. In 2016, before Koesterer was hired, they were #36. Obviously, they wouldn't put up the same numbers in the ACC, Big Ten, or Ivy League. But this tells me he's ready for a step up in competition.

Not that this matters one iota but for those of you who pointed out Quint seemed salty about the Milliman hire, Koesterer has received the coveted QK stamp of approval: https://twitter.com/QKessenich/status/1 ... 2521930752
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

JHU Men's Lacrosse
@jhumenslacrosse
BREAKING - Former Blue Jay @JLKoesterer named Johns Hopkins defensive coordinator

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 1047809024
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

College Crosse@College_Crosse
37 mins ago
Under Koesterer, UMBC's defense was ranked #1 in the country in 2018. They were #6 this year before the season ended. And he doesn't even have to move his stuff. Don't think Milliman could have done any better with this hire.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:36 am
Fair enough, though In 2018, UMBC was #3 in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency, which does account for the strength of opposing offenses. That year they held Richmond, Navy, Towson, Michigan, and Albany all below 9 goals. They were #19 in the same metric in 2017. In 2016, before Koesterer was hired, they were #36. Obviously, they wouldn't put up the same numbers in the ACC, Big Ten, or Ivy League. But this tells me he's ready for a step up in competition.

Not that this matters one iota but for those of you who pointed out Quint seemed salty about the Milliman hire, Koesterer has received the coveted QK stamp of approval: https://twitter.com/QKessenich/status/1 ... 2521930752
Koesterer is a serious coach. The year before he got here in 2011, I think Dolente was under .500 on faceoffs. With Coach K he was hitting .65. Koesterer also coached Poppleton who many regard as one of the best FO men at JHU ever.
Coach K is serious and he's got something to prove.
I would say Milliman has also got something to prove and since he's an offensive minded coach, this looks like a great pairing to me.
Wouldn't mind seeing SS as the OC, but regardless, I think this is the perfect hire for us.
viper

Post by viper »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:57 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:36 am

Koesterer is a serious coach. The year before he got here in 2011, I think Dolente was under .500 on faceoffs. With Coach K he was hitting .65. Koesterer also coached Poppleton who many regard as one of the best FO men at JHU ever.
Coach K is serious and he's got something to prove.
I would say Milliman has also got something to prove and since he's an offensive minded coach, this looks like a great pairing to me.
Wouldn't mind seeing SS as the OC, but regardless, I think this is the perfect hire for us.
I think this was the obvious choice, being an Alum is a bonus, but his CV was a strong as anyone's. He excelled as a coach at every stop, JHU, OSU and UMBC. I am not only excited about his hire, but think this is a very good sign that PM understands that this would also be a nod to those worried about the clash of the tradition and recent cultural modifications brought in by the new guard.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:56 am College Crosse@College_Crosse
37 mins ago
Under Koesterer, UMBC's defense was ranked #1 in the country in 2018. They were #6 this year before the season ended. And he doesn't even have to move his stuff. Don't think Milliman could have done any better with this hire.
That is a good hire. Congratulations. I think it is beneficial to have someone on staff, with a reasonably new coach, that is attached to the program. Like I said, the ship was turning. Best of luck.
“I wish you would!”
Parputt

Post by Parputt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:32 am
Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:56 am College Crosse@College_Crosse
37 mins ago
That is a good hire. Congratulations. I think it is beneficial to have someone on staff, with a reasonably new coach, that is attached to the program. Like I said, the ship was turning. Best of luck.

Hop just got better today. A lot better.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I needed some good news. I didn't have any expectations, but watching the transfer news has been depressing. My money is on Crawley for OC.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

you know, if Petro had made this hire a couple of years ago and let JK do actually be the DC, pretty sure he'd still be the coach

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”