Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Holden has a strong job offer he dropped for this too I might add. He can play Mid, just played attack at Bart for a number of reasons including a very lefty heavy offense the past couple of years. I was impressed with his improved physicality this year and ability to dodge around em near the crease but he historically played more like a middie. Don’t be surprised if he has similar goal numbers or even better at MD even with more need to spread it around as he won’t see doubles or be as much of the focus and he’s got a shot with free hands as good as any already at Maryland.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:55 pm Holden has a strong job offer he dropped for this too I might add. He can play Mid, just played attack at Bart for a number of reasons including a very lefty heavy offense the past couple of years. I was impressed with his improved physicality this year and ability to dodge around em near the crease but he historically played more like a middie. Don’t be surprised if he has similar goal numbers or even better at MD even with more need to spread it around as he won’t see doubles or be as much of the focus and he’s got a shot with free hands as good as any already at Maryland.
This is why I think he'll play up top. Invert him against a shorty. Dodge up top against a LSM. Let him sling it off of skip passes from Wisnauskas on the other side of the offense or on step downs when Bubba draws a slide from X. If teams double-pole a first midfield line of DeMaio, Brown, and Holden, whoever gets the shorty is going to do serious damage.

Holden will occupy that top left spot on the EMO and stretch defenses with that shot. Wisnauskas and DeMaio provide that on the other side. The Terps have missed that up top from a righty shooter since Connor Kelly graduate a couple of years ago.

Holden showed what he's capable of against Syracuse. He's not going to have problems playing in the B1G.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:42 pm Neither Brown nor Holden transferred to Maryland for a 5th year to play on the second midfield line. Gonna make a wild leap here and say both are going to start. The question is at what position.

Tills and Rep will get the best 6 players on the field that they can for each possession. Size, speed, and athleticism matter in determining those best 6 on the field.
Yeah, these guys were both pursued by top teams. I heard rumors a few weeks back Holden was going to be going to Notre Dame. So that should tell you Tills put the press on and won a battle for him. They’re going to be playing significant minutes; they weren’t brought in nor are you going to see them getting 6-7 shifts a game at midfield.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

It is fair to point out that if Brown and Holden were to both start for the Terps, and Wisnauskas, Fairman, and A.DeMaio decided not to take their extra senior year at UMd, that these line-ups that you are promoting would involve only 1 returning starter for the Terps in 2022 on the offense.

A number of the Terps biggest stars Rambo, Bernhardt, Fairman (not to mention Cannizzaro who was one of Denver's biggest stars), started as freshmen - which makes me want to see one of UMd's incoming freshmen stick his nose into the starting line-up. It wouldn't seem like a bad thing if two of them did. Of course, one of them might follow the root of A.DeMaio or Wisnauskas and red-shirt a year.

This long-term logic extends further. The Terps have Kyle Long for 2 more seasons (possibly 3), it would be nice to see him develop into one of the top feeders in the game. Maltz and Brennan have 3 more seasons (possibly 4) and started as freshmen...
Live Free or Die!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

That’s not seemingly and issue for Tillman. I mean I keep seeing people saying transfers are ok and you have to earn your spot and then it’s “well we’d prefer homegrown guys”. That’s really trying to have that cake, eat it and then turd it out into the mouths of the poor, so to speak.

Conversely Brendan Saylor was around the 50th ranked incoming FR to UMD, gets elbowed out by a top shelf FR class incl Rambo and transfers to Hobart where he was ok but not a top 3 offensive player on weaker Hobart teams than the ones Holden played on. (28,10,38 in 27 games on 95 shots, 7gbs and 25 TOs, 20,4 Senior year on a team that scored 8.4 goals per game went 7-7 losing in NEC finals to a Mazza Bryant team) It’s ok to acknowledge that there are some guys on teams outside of three conferences that might be better than the AA kids of those same few conferences. Even talking about someone like Gray and thinking “well BU is above these programs but Hobart has been a 17-27 RPI team the last two years”. Colgate has been a train wreck since the Cuse win but hasn’t been that long since they were a top 3 PL program for a 3-5yr stretch.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cooter wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:00 pm It is fair to point out that if Brown and Holden were to both start for the Terps, and Wisnauskas, Fairman, and A.DeMaio decided not to take their extra senior year at UMd, that these line-ups that you are promoting would involve only 1 returning starter for the Terps in 2022 on the offense.

A number of the Terps biggest stars Rambo, Bernhardt, Fairman (not to mention Cannizzaro who was one of Denver's biggest stars), started as freshmen - which makes me want to see one of UMd's incoming freshmen stick his nose into the starting line-up. It wouldn't seem like a bad thing if two of them did. Of course, one of them might follow the root of A.DeMaio or Wisnauskas and red-shirt a year.

This long-term logic extends further. The Terps have Kyle Long for 2 more seasons (possibly 3), it would be nice to see him develop into one of the top feeders in the game. Maltz and Brennan have 3 more seasons (possibly 4) and started as freshmen...
If Koras or Malever or whomever is good enough to start then obviously I hope they’ll start. But I’m not gonna put the chances of either guy starting over a 5th year senior player who scored 45 goals his junior year and was on pace to score 50 this past year. Whatever the conference, you score 50 goals you’re p good.

And the larger point is that Tillman knows this and he didn’t get those two to commit to come to Maryland over the other top teams that were surely after them (again, a few weeks ago I’d heard Holden was going to Notre Dame) by envisioning a 2nd line midfield spot for them. Or, in your scenario, one of them maybe not even playing on the 2nd midfield. That’s just not happening.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:54 pm That’s not seemingly and issue for Tillman. I mean I keep seeing people saying transfers are ok and you have to earn your spot and then it’s “well we’d prefer homegrown guys”. That’s really trying to have that cake, eat it and then turd it out into the mouths of the poor, so to speak.

Conversely Brendan Saylor was around the 50th ranked incoming FR to UMD, gets elbowed out by a top shelf FR class incl Rambo and transfers to Hobart where he was ok but not a top 3 offensive player on weaker Hobart teams than the ones Holden played on. It’s ok to acknowledge that there are some guys on teams outside of three conferences that might be better than the AA kids of those same few conferences. Even talking about someone like Gray and thinking “well BU is above these programs but Hobart has been a 17-27 RPI team the last two years”. Colgate has been a train wreck since the Cuse win but hasn’t been that long since they were a top 3 PL program for a 3-5yr stretch.
There was another UMd player that transferred to an NEC school after be heralded. He was ok but not a real difference maker. There are lots of good players. Some get overlooked. What people seemed to forget about is the player development piece of the equation. BTW, Tillman runs the most successful program in the country over past 8 years in my opinion. His system works for him. He works all the levers. Recruiting, development and transfers to plug holes and maintain the talent pool....and he developed a culture.
“I wish you would!”
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:54 pm It’s ok to acknowledge that there are some guys on teams outside of three conferences that might be better than the AA kids of those same few conferences.
They might or they might not.
A couple of posters above seem to be assuming they definitely are.

In my predicted line-up above, I put the better of the 2. I do not know which it will be.
In the line-up that I would like to see, I put one of the freshman (Koras), because one of the freshman being able to start bodes well for the Terps down the road.
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:02 pm
There was another UMd player that transferred to an NEC school after be heralded. He was ok but not a real difference maker. There are lots of good players. Some get overlooked. What people seemed to forget about is the player development piece of the equation. BTW, Tillman runs the most successful program in the country over past 8 years in my opinion. His system works for him. He works all the levers. Recruiting, development and transfers to plug holes and maintain the talent pool....and he developed a culture.
Kevin Forster was a difference maker for St.Joseph's. 3rd leading scorer in 2015, and 2nd leading scorer in 2016.
Live Free or Die!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cooter wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:12 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:54 pm It’s ok to acknowledge that there are some guys on teams outside of three conferences that might be better than the AA kids of those same few conferences.
They might or they might not.
A couple of posters above seem to be assuming they definitely are.

In my predicted line-up above, I put the better of the 2. I do not know which it will be.
In the line-up that I would like to see, I put one of the freshman (Koras), because one of the freshman being able to start bodes well for the Terps down the road.
The incoming freshmen are all unknowns at the college level. Do I think they’ll be great players and have big success as and for the Terps? Absolutely. If you’re a Top 10 recruit, the track record is very strong you’ll be a great player at the college level.

But at the moment if we’re talking about who’s better, those recruits or a 45 goal scorer at the college level and a player who was 10th in the country in PPG this year, I’ll take the latter. And I’ll probably go with the guy who was on pace for a 50+ point season with not much talent around him too.

They may very well have better careers than Holden and Brown, chances are they probably will. But we’re talking about 2021, not the next 4 years.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Cooter wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:00 pm It is fair to point out that if Brown and Holden were to both start for the Terps, and Wisnauskas, Fairman, and A.DeMaio decided not to take their extra senior year at UMd, that these line-ups that you are promoting would involve only 1 returning starter for the Terps in 2022 on the offense.

If next year was a typical year, maybe you'd be right. Next year isn't a typical year. A slew of elite Ivy and PL talent has altered next year. If you want to win every year...and Tills wants to win every year...you're going to play to win. Those freshman will get reps throughout the season. If any of them are good enough to be starter or play on the 2nd midfield line, they will. No one knows what the fall will look like in terms of disrupting fall practice. Those freshman you tout have lost their senior seasons and will come into the fall at a significant disadvantage. This isn't cracker jacks and tidily winks. Tills isn't going to give someone a developmental spot if there's someone on the roster who is better. That just doesn't compute.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Wheels wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:22 pm

If next year was a typical year, maybe you'd be right. Next year isn't a typical year. A slew of elite Ivy and PL talent has altered next year. If you want to win every year...and Tills wants to win every year...you're going to play to win. Those freshman will get reps throughout the season. If any of them are good enough to be starter or play on the 2nd midfield line, they will. No one knows what the fall will look like in terms of disrupting fall practice. Those freshman you tout have lost their senior seasons and will come into the fall at a significant disadvantage. This isn't cracker jacks and tidily winks. Tills isn't going to give someone a developmental spot if there's someone on the roster who is better. That just doesn't compute.
You are missing the point.
To compete at the top of D1, you need elite offensive players.
Bernhardt appears to be departing now, and Wisnauskas, A.DeMaio, and Fairman might be gone after next Spring.
The Terps need to find new elite offensive players to replace them. A strong sign of a new elite player is a highly ranked freshman, whose abilities put him into the starting line-up. Thus I want to see one of UMd's highly ranked freshmen be so good that he starts.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Cooter wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:55 pm You are missing the point.
Bernhardt appears to be departing now, and Wisnauskas, A.DeMaio, and Fairman might be gone after next Spring.
The Terps need to find new elite offensive players to replace them. A strong sign of a new elite player is a highly ranked freshman, whose abilities put him into the starting line-up. Thus I want to see one of UMd's highly ranked freshmen be so good that he starts.
Oh, I didn't realize you were speaking aspirationally. I missed that in our discussion of what's best for 2021 and not 2022. Makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Wheels wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:26 am
Oh, I didn't realize you were speaking aspirationally. I missed that in our discussion of what's best for 2021 and not 2022. Makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying.
Your assessment for 2021 points to a bleak 2022.
Live Free or Die!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cooter wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:08 pm
Brennan and Long both have starting experience in the past. It’s not as if they’ll have forgotten how to play. Maltz will likely be a starter either way. Bubba would only be a 5th year as opposed to 6th like Logan or DeMaio, decent chance he may choose to return. In which you’d then have 4 players who had started at one point or another in their careers. Plus all the talent freshmen and sophomores on the roster, who will have learned from a year in the program whether they’re starting or not.

I’m sure Tills knows the risk/reward of this and he’s calculated that it’s worth it to bring in these two guys because they’re very good players who give the team an even better chance of winning it all in 2021 and that’s the first goal they have in mind. Then 2022.
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

Cooter

It won't be bleak, Tills will be out hunting for 2-3 now college Jr's going into the portal after graduating in '21

We're going to have these free agent off-seasons for a couple years
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

shaadb-man wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:20 pm Cooter

It won't be bleak, Tills will be out hunting for 2-3 now college Jr's going into the portal after graduating in '21

We're going to have these free agent off-seasons for a couple years
Maybe he will pick up some top guys from Lafayette and MSM. :D
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:16 pm
Brennan and Long both have starting experience in the past. It’s not as if they’ll have forgotten how to play. Maltz will likely be a starter either way. Bubba would only be a 5th year as opposed to 6th like Logan or DeMaio, decent chance he may choose to return. In which you’d then have 4 players who had started at one point or another in their careers. Plus all the talent freshmen and sophomores on the roster, who will have learned from a year in the program whether they’re starting or not.

I’m sure Tills knows the risk/reward of this and he’s calculated that it’s worth it to bring in these two guys because they’re very good players who give the team an even better chance of winning it all in 2021 and that’s the first goal they have in mind. Then 2022.
But Long and Brennan ain't good enough to start next year. Long will have to sit more than half the time, so a player, who scored 11 points this year, can double shift between attack and midfield. Brennan and all the other younger guys will have to sit behind players from Colgate and Hobart. Looks bad to me.
Then, of course, Grill will be gone in 2022 and Shockey, Rahill, Puglise, Higgins, and A.Smith will be seniors in 2021.

April 2022 - Maryland vs Rutgers - battle for sixth in the Big Ten!
Live Free or Die!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cooter wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:56 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:16 pm

But Long and Brennan ain't good enough to start next year. Long will have to sit more than half the time, so a player, who scored 11 points this year, can double shift between attack and midfield. Brennan and all the other younger guys will have to sit behind players from Colgate and Hobart. Looks bad to me.
Then, of course, Grill will be gone in 2022 and Shockey, Rahill, Puglise, Higgins, and A.Smith will be seniors in 2021.

April 2022 - Maryland vs Rutgers - battle for sixth in the Big Ten!
Lol, okay bud. If you say so.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:59 pm
Lol, okay bud. If you say so.
Nay, its not what I say. It's what yours and Wheel's line-ups for next year tend to say.
Live Free or Die!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”