Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by AreaLax »

Believe the UVA is at least a two deal. Not sure how Tills got the first home game. Will be interesting to the deal gets moved out to include another game since this year was cancelled
Parputt

Post by Parputt »

jrn19 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:23 pm
Cooter wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:03 pm
jrn19 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:24 am
I like Long a lot and he could certainly push for starting, but I don't know about seeing him start over Holden. You never know, but when you have an elite dodger in the way Holden is, you want that on the field and at attack. And considering Wisnauskas' passing ability and his vision, it's a better fit having a finisher in Maltz, X attackmen in Wisnauskas, and then a shooter and dodger in Holden.
Kyle Long has shown he can do it at UMd's level, and is a pretty good dodger, whereas Holden has only done it in the NEC and looks more to be a right-hand finisher than a feeder.

If you play Wisnauskas at the X, it would be to get a lefty finisher on the field like N.DeMaio or Daniel Kelly.
Long has tons of potential and looked on his way to a very good season this year, but the evidence that “he can do it at UMD’s level” is 2 games or so in what’s so far been a 21 game career. He deserves to be on the field, but we’re not talking about a full season of proven production yet, which Holden certainly has and you can say “it’s only in the NEC” if you like, but if you watched their game against Cuse this year I think you’d see the dude has the goods to play at that level

Cant imagine 2 highly productive, high level, proven players with I'm sure many options are coming to compete for a spot on the 2nd line either. Don't think for a minute that Tills didn't layout a specific detailed plan that he sees for each player and how they fit and will be used in the offense and how they fit in the locker room.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Parputt wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:48 pm
Cant imagine 2 highly productive, high level, proven players with I'm sure many options are coming to compete for a spot on the 2nd line either. Don't think for a minute that Tills didn't layout a specific detailed plan that he sees for each player and how they fit and will be used in the offense and how they fit in the locker room.
Assuming Bernhardt doesn't return, I actually had Brown and Holden competing for a spot on the 1st midfield line in my post above.
Live Free or Die!
Parputt

Post by Parputt »

Cooter wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:04 pm
Parputt wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:48 pm
Assuming Bernhardt doesn't return, I actually had Brown and Holden competing for a spot on the 1st midfield line in my post above.
Cooter,
You are correct, Sir. I just re-read, sorry about that. Although I see at least one of them at attack.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

AreaLax wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:40 pm Believe the UVA is at least a two deal. Not sure how Tills got the first home game. Will be interesting to the deal gets moved out to include another game since this year was cancelled
uva had a tick higher home games than usual in 2020. including the 2 true home and homes loyola and princeton.
also was tail end of spring break for the hoos, cabin fever. plus maryland has all that b1g money, probably paid hoos the home game appearance fee.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:41 pm
AreaLax wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:40 pm Believe the UVA is at least a two deal. Not sure how Tills got the first home game. Will be interesting to the deal gets moved out to include another game since this year was cancelled
uva had a tick higher home games than usual in 2020. including the 2 true home and homes loyola and princeton.
also was tail end of spring break for the hoos, cabin fever. plus maryland has all that b1g money, probably paid hoos the home game appearance fee.
Tillman wanted the game to be the California game, the Pacific shootout, but Lars said no.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

AreaLax wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:50 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:41 pm
Tillman wanted the game to be the California game, the Pacific shootout, but Lars said no.
should've used his ithaca connections to get a game in there, halfway between corning and lafayette.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Logan has certainly improved his dodging over the past 3 years, but I don't see him at X taking on the opponent's best cover guy. Let him do what he does best: find space, shoot, and pick apart a defense's 2nd and 3rd slides with his passing. Let Bubba draw slides from below; let Holden draw slides from up top (I've seen enough of his highlight tape to see him beating LSMs up top to know that it's a thing he does).

Offense with 1st Midfield: A - Fairman, A - Maltz, A - Wisnauskas, M - DeMaio, M - Brown, M - Holden

Offense with 2nd Midfield: A - Long, A - Maltz, A - Wisnauskas, M - Brennan, M - Smith, M - Fairman

That's a pretty dynamic, balanced, and deep offense. You work in Malever, Koras, N. DeMaio, and Kelly where you can. Giving the keys to a freshman at the X attack spot isn't something I'd bet on seeing. Tills likes to get his uber-athletic freshman onto the field as midfielders before moving them to attack.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:17 pm Logan has certainly improved his dodging over the past 3 years, but I don't see him at X taking on the opponent's best cover guy. Let him do what he does best: find space, shoot, and pick apart a defense's 2nd and 3rd slides with his passing. Let Bubba draw slides from below; let Holden draw slides from up top (I've seen enough of his highlight tape to see him beating LSMs up top to know that it's a thing he does).

Offense with 1st Midfield: A - Fairman, A - Maltz, A - Wisnauskas, M - DeMaio, M - Brown, M - Holden

Offense with 2nd Midfield: A - Long, A - Maltz, A - Wisnauskas, M - Brennan, M - Smith, M - Fairman

That's a pretty dynamic, balanced, and deep offense. You work in Malever, Koras, N. DeMaio, and Kelly where you can. Giving the keys to a freshman at the X attack spot isn't something I'd bet on seeing. Tills likes to get his uber-athletic freshman onto the field as midfielders before moving them to attack.
I think his production and dodging over the last two years really speaks for itself and shows that he's more than capable of it. I'd bet on them doing that more than I would them moving Bubba down to attack based on how they used him this year. I think if they wanted to move him down to attack then they maybe wouldn't have made these moves, an attack with Fairman-Maltz-Logan and then midfield with Brown-DeMaio-Long/Brennan or even the last three would have made a lot of sense. I'll echo what Cooter said as well in that based on the way Bubba was shooting at the end of the year being used the way Chanenchuk and Kelly was doesn't seem likely. But that's just IMO, we'll find out in the fall if there's fall ball and then next year what they plan on doing. Lot of options. I see it as

Offense with 1st Midfield: A - Maltz, A - Wisnauskas, A - Holden; M - DeMaio, M - Fairman, M - Brown

Offense with 2nd Midfield: A - Maltz, A - Wisnauskas, A - Holden; M - Brennan, M - Long, M - Koras/Kelly/Smith/Malever;

I think the freshmen's best bet is on man-up or maybe swapping in for someone if they need a breather for a shift or two. But again, maybe they breakthrough, they're super talented. As we've been saying, lot of options.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jrn19 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:34 pm
Wheels wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:17 pm Logan has certainly improved his dodging over the past 3 years, but I don't see him at X taking on the opponent's best cover guy. Let him do what he does best: find space, shoot, and pick apart a defense's 2nd and 3rd slides with his passing. Let Bubba draw slides from below; let Holden draw slides from up top (I've seen enough of his highlight tape to see him beating LSMs up top to know that it's a thing he does).

I think his production and dodging over the last two years really speaks for itself and shows that he's more than capable of it. I'd bet on them doing that more than I would them moving Bubba down to attack based on how they used him this year. I think if they wanted to move him down to attack then they maybe wouldn't have made these moves, an attack with Fairman-Maltz-Logan and then midfield with Brown-DeMaio-Long/Brennan or even the last three would have made a lot of sense. I'll echo what Cooter said as well in that based on the way Bubba was shooting at the end of the year being used the way Chanenchuk and Kelly was doesn't seem likely. But that's just IMO, we'll find out in the fall if there's fall ball and then next year what they plan on doing. Lot of options. I see it as

Offense with 1st Midfield: A - Maltz, A - Wisnauskas, A - Holden; M - DeMaio, M - Fairman, M - Brown

Offense with 2nd Midfield: A - Maltz, A - Wisnauskas, A - Holden; M - Brennan, M - Long, M - Koras/Kelly/Smith/Malever;

I think the freshmen's best bet is on man-up or maybe swapping in for someone if they need a breather for a shift or two. But again, maybe they breakthrough, they're super talented. As we've been saying, lot of options.
I heard Kevin Durant is in the portal and he is headed to Maryland.
“I wish you would!”
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I think Daniel Kelly could be a choice for man-up, as he is such an outstanding shooter.

While it is fairly obvious that Tillman was looking for some righty flingers, I think part of the reason for going after Brown and Holden was that the high schoolers missed their senior seasons. Top MIAA players like Koras and Kelly usually are able to start or contribute right away. Of course, Malever was IL's #4 recruit last fall.

Hopefully, UA will be able to hold their AA game in August, and we will be able to get a look at Kelly, Koras, and Malever, along with D-man Jack Schirtzer.

In the end, I think you two are selling Kyle Long way short. He had 22 points (8g, 14a) as a freshman in 2019, playing mostly on the 2nd midfield. I believe he move onto the first midfield for the last four games of that season. If he had had the playing time of a first midfielder, he probably would have broken 30 points as a freshman. This year he started off the season injured, apparently having a cameo appearance against High Point and then missing the Richmond game. He then started to play on the 2nd midfield and splitting time with Brennan, and had 7 points in 4 games (Penn, Villanova, ND, Albany). With Long entering his junior season next year, my general feeling is that he would average over 2 pts a game as a first line midfielder, and 3 pts a game if he started on attack. Of course these points would probably be on the order of 2 assists to every 1 goal.

I actually think it would be a pretty big accomplishment for Holden to start for the Terps. You look at Hobart's schedule last year:
Canisius, Siena, Cornell, Binghamton, Vermont, Wagner, Colgate, Sacred Heart, St.Bonaventure, Syracuse, St.Joseph's, Bryant, MSM, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, Robert Morris.
This is a big jump.
Brown's Colgate team plays a bit tougher schedule in the Patriot League. They added UMd and Syracuse to that schedule in 2019, and had already played UNC, Syracuse, and Princeton this season.
Live Free or Die!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

I don’t see Long on 2nd midfield. If you are not seeing Bubba staying on the field then it would be Long. He just sees the game so well. He and Logan’s passing skills are just to good not to be on the field
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:50 pm I heard Kevin Durant is in the portal and he is headed to Maryland.
Never heard of him. Is he a Princeton guy?
Live Free or Die!
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

ABClaxfan wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:53 pm
Cooter wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:24 pm
jrn19 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:08 pm Terps bringing in another big transfer. Holden had 20 goals in 5 games this year and 45 goals + 20 assists a year ago for Hobart. Big time scorer at attack https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 0429569035
Holden looks pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6z-BN79QgA

It sort of makes one feel that Bernhardt might not be returning.

When Holden came out of high school he was legitimately the best player in Mass. I was shocked that he was headed to Hobart (no disrespect) thought for sure he’d play at a big time program. Think he may have been underrated since he was a public school kid. Definitely a natural attackman, but he has improved his game and is versatile could see him running out of the box.
High school lacrosse is dominated by public schools in Massachusetts!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

https://youtu.be/0un2sm0-TlA

2017 team reuniting on zoom. Very entertaining haha
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Cooter wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:10 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:50 pm I heard Kevin Durant is in the portal and he is headed to Maryland.
Never heard of him. Is he a Princeton guy?
No. A U. Texas guy. College was the best 1 year of his life. Just ribbing Md. it’s actually a compliment. Should be a dynamite offensive team.
“I wish you would!”
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

AreaLax wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:08 pm

I don’t see Long on 2nd midfield. If you are not seeing Bubba staying on the field then it would be Long. He just sees the game so well. He and Logan’s passing skills are just to good not to be on the field
I'd like to see

Att
1s- Holden, Long, Wisnauskas
Off the bench- Maltz, Koras, Kelly

Mid
1s- Fairman, DeMaio, Brown
2s- Malever, Brennen, Smith (or Maltz/DeMaio)

Really like Malever think he is a DeMaio replica and because of that tho have him on line 2 to start could see him catch Brown
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just for some framework for some arguments that Brown is somehow more of a sure thing handling Maryland’s ever so difficult schedule;

Last two years:

Hobart 33 - Colgate 19 (12-6 in 2019, 21-13 in 2020, both games done somewhere early to mid 3rd Q).

Brown - 5g, 2a, 7pts on 17 shots, 3gbs, 7 TOs
*3/5 of Browns goals were scored in Q4 of the games against deep reserves.

Holden - 9g, 2a, 11pts on 21 shots, 4gbs,3 TOs
0/9 goals scored in 4th quarter, didn’t play most of fourth in either game to pad stats

Holden (2015 ESPN Mr Boston Lacrosse, whatever that is, 2x Mass AA, 2x State D1 champion)
2019: Cornell (16-19 L) - 2g, 0a, 2pts, 9 shots, 2gbs, 0 TO
Syracuse (17-5 L) - 1g,2a,3pts, 11 shots, 2gb,1TO,1CTO
2020 Syracuse (13-21 L) - 3g,2a,5pts, 8 shots, 2gb, 3TO

Small 3 game sample (and I don’t love that we’ve diluted the schedule and reduced travel, in addition to Cornell and Syracuse every year, until 2yrs had PSU and some combination of Brown/GTown/Towson as OOC. Nothing like the schedules hobart played in the 1990s and 2000s but we need one more stronger OOC game, especially since Gate is like 5-17 since beginning of 2019, Bing has been terrible since the Tom Moore/Ben Waldron year and Canisius/Siena have been lower half MAAC teams past couple of years) but 6g,4a,10pts (2,1.3,3.3 per game) on 28 shots, 6gbs, 4TOs and 1CTO. Below season averages but certainly competent and definitely covered by #1 an no different than Brown, often doubled.

Can throw in some other games but I think Holden can handle Maryland’s schedule just as well as Brown.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Like to see... I like that idea
I'd like to see:
Attack: Maltz, Long, Wisnaukas
1st midfield: Fairman, A.DeMaio, J.Koras
2nd midfield: Brennan, Brown, Sawyer or J.Smith or Holden

I would note that A.DeMaio did red-shirt a year and of course, Fairman PG'd a year
- so I would have Malever red-shirt.
Kelly or N.DeMaio getting some reps on man-up.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Neither Brown nor Holden transferred to Maryland for a 5th year to play on the second midfield line. Gonna make a wild leap here and say both are going to start. The question is at what position.

Tills and Rep will get the best 6 players on the field that they can for each possession. Size, speed, and athleticism matter in determining those best 6 on the field.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”