Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Jaysjay88

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Jaysjay88 »

This was a good one too. No, not the gilded age, but more recent fun. JHU vs Syracuse 2015 Quarterfinal. Being a Western NYer, love the Syracuse wins even more than the Maryland wins. Oranges lobbed on the field in my day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia3D4NtA2JA
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

jhu06 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:50 pm https://alumni.jhu.edu/alumni-weekend-goes-virtual

Something called a dj kopec gets more ink on the schedule than the lax coach which is pretty fitting for the current state of the program and its relationship w/alumni. Would've been nice if they would've opened up the daniels/milliman segments to alumni and parent questions like a town hall. Would've been helpful for the university to engage.

On the brightside brady faby, a little used player from a few years ago leads a panel discussion. Sounds like he's going places.

3:00 – 4:00 pm
Hop Talk: Cybersecurity in a COVID-19 World
Brady Faby ‘15 and Itai Tevet

Join Johns Hopkins University and cybersecurity firm, Intezer for this webinar exploring COVID-19’s global effects on the cyber landscape. Hear about the striking similarities between biological viruses and computer viruses from JHU Alumni, Brady Faby 15’, and Intezer CEO, Itai Tevet. Are we capable of producing a “genetic” vaccine to replace today’s traditional cybersecurity approaches? Recent advancements in biology have led us closer to producing a lifelong vaccine for the Flu, which just over 100 years ago caused the deadliest pandemic in history. Immunologists are looking at the genetic makeup of a virus to prevent the spread of infection rather than chasing specific variants. Can the same approach be applied to cybersecurity to prevent the infection of computer viruses?
Ignoramus.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Bluejayfan2

Post by Bluejayfan2 »

Jaysjay88 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:09 pm This was a good one too. No, not the gilded age, but more recent fun. JHU vs Syracuse 2015 Quarterfinal. Being a Western NYer, love the Syracuse wins even more than the Maryland wins. Oranges lobbed on the field in my day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia3D4NtA2JA
Speaking of Oranges flying at Orangemen
I remember one of those games as an undergrad or recent grad when the oranges went flying at the Cuse players only to be returned via deep-pocketed sticks at 90+MPH at the Hop Fans. The good news was that I and the other ATO boys dove for the low point in the visitor stand and underneath the track fence where we had a Keg of Natty Boh or Weidermans buried and iced in the ground, This just might explain the miscalculation of heaving oranges at armored Orangemen in the first place. We still won that game so that's what really mattered despite the Vitamin C stains on our foreheads.

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I’m disappointed that Jackson Morrill is headed to Denver.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nver/56380

Anyone have the inside scoop on what happened here? Don’t get me wrong ... Denver has a great program and coach.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:44 am I’m disappointed that Jackson Morrill is headed to Denver.

Anyone have the inside scoop on what happened here? Don’t get me wrong ... Denver has a great program and coach.

He didn't pick Georgetown either (in fact, he went to one of their biggest rivals), so maybe he is just dead set on doing what he wants and not following family ties. His dad did play for Tierney at Hopkins though.

Or maybe he just wants to ski and smoke weed (legally).
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

If you look at Denver's roster - they had a lethal shooter in Walker (don't know whether he's back even) and a midfielder that was going off in Hannah, They have a freshman attack that scored 10 goal in 6 games but 0 assists. Walker and Hannah had 32 of their 79 goals. Then throw in Tierney, Matt Brown and from a lacrosse standpoint it makes a ton more sense than Hopkins with Epstein and even Murphy already there. Denver doesn't have a Jackson Morrill - Hopkins might have two facsimiles. Also, while Denver had lost two fairly close games to Duke and UNC, they beat Notre Dame and are likely much closer to playing in late May 2021 (if there is such a thing as lacrosse or sports in 2021) than Hopkins. In addition, Denver and Colorado may very well have been a factor in that the lifestyle is quite different than the Northeast or mid Atlantic. Not hard to figure out.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Saw the Rabil thing on IL. "Fanless PLL" doesn't strike anyone else as an oxymoron?

In regards to Morrill, he's graduating from Yale and pursuing a grad degree at Denver, correct? I was just watching his dad play Cuse last night.
viper

Post by viper »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:51 am If you look at Denver's roster - they had a lethal shooter in Walker (don't know whether he's back even) and a midfielder that was going off in Hannah, They have a freshman attack that scored 10 goal in 6 games but 0 assists. Walker and Hannah had 32 of their 79 goals. Then throw in Tierney, Matt Brown and from a lacrosse standpoint it makes a ton more sense than Hopkins with Epstein and even Murphy already there. Denver doesn't have a Jackson Morrill - Hopkins might have two facsimiles. Also, while Denver had lost two fairly close games to Duke and UNC, they beat Notre Dame and are likely much closer to playing in late May 2021 (if there is such a thing as lacrosse or sports in 2021) than Hopkins. In addition, Denver and Colorado may very well have been a factor in that the lifestyle is quite different than the Northeast or mid Atlantic. Not hard to figure out.
Trying not to be too presumptious, the existing connection between his dad and Tierney didn't hurt either!
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Heard that Milliman may be getting close to hiring his DC.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:13 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:44 am I’m disappointed that Jackson Morrill is headed to Denver.

He didn't pick Georgetown either (in fact, he went to one of their biggest rivals), so maybe he is just dead set on doing what he wants and not following family ties. His dad did play for Tierney at Hopkins though.

Or maybe he just wants to ski and smoke weed (legally).
Yep
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:35 pm Heard that Milliman may be getting close to hiring his DC.
And who might that be?

Just realized that Milliman is quite used to coaching with two very young assistants in Buczek and Stevens—both graduated in 2015. Assuming he had a good experience with them and would be comfortable in a similar situation at Homewood, I think that might increase the chances of someone like Durkin and/or Crawley on staff. Durkin is the elder of the two but only has half a year of D1 coordinating experience at Drexel. Was the head coach at D3 Bryn Athyn for three years before that. Crawley was the volunteer assistant at Notre Dame for a year before coordinating offenses at Colgate and now Lehigh.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:53 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:35 pm Heard that Milliman may be getting close to hiring his DC.
And who might that be?

Just realized that Milliman is quite used to coaching with two very young assistants in Buczek and Stevens—both graduated in 2015. Assuming he had a good experience with them and would be comfortable in a similar situation at Homewood, I think that might increase the chances of someone like Durkin and/or Crawley on staff. Durkin is the elder of the two but only has half a year of D1 coordinating experience at Drexel. Was the head coach at D3 Bryn Athyn for three years before that. Crawley was the volunteer assistant at Notre Dame for a year before coordinating offenses at Colgate and now Lehigh.
It’s a relatively young, but not that young, Hopkins alum. Would be a good hire if what I’m hearing is true.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:51 am Saw the Rabil thing on IL. "Fanless PLL" doesn't strike anyone else as an oxymoron?

I was thinking redundant.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:50 pm
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:51 am Saw the Rabil thing on IL. "Fanless PLL" doesn't strike anyone else as an oxymoron?
chuckle all you want, but their business plan pitch to their money men had 45% growth in free ticket sales, twitter hits and insta impressions for 8 consecutive years.
this year's ticket giveaways take a hit, but it's a 3 pronged strategy.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:33 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:50 pm
chuckle all you want, but their business plan pitch to their money men had 45% growth in free ticket sales, twitter hits and insta impressions for 8 consecutive years.
this year's ticket giveaways take a hit, but it's a 3 pronged strategy.
So, it’s all about social media and not lacrosse? Right. Puke.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Paul might not have liked the coaching change but he's still hustling.

I like this idea.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/pro/pll/p ... ull-season
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

steel_hop wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:18 pm Paul might not have liked the coaching change but he's still hustling.

I like this idea.

Can never accuse Rabil of not hustling and promoting his #brand
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jrn19 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:39 pm
steel_hop wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:18 pm Paul might not have liked the coaching change but he's still hustling.

I like this idea.

Can never accuse Rabil of not hustling and promoting his #brand
Paul Rabil and his now-signature beard are, for all practical purposes, the face of lacrosse. Don’t know how many other lacrosse legends have appeared on the Today Show.

Very proud of what he has accomplished with the PLL.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I've never met Rabil, I only know what I see on social media, so my criticism is not directed at him as a person at all. But, the persona and image that the Rabil/Harrison/PLL camp puts out there is, imo, the absolute worst thing to happen to Hopkins lacrosse. Everything is cringe inducing peddling. I admire and respect his drive and passion and business acumen, but, like Lil Xan or tampons, it's just not for me. Did you see Al Roker's face? He wasn't buying it. My taste is more Thompsons, Powells, and Curtis Dicksons of the world.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Needs to trim that upper chest hair too. Looks like a Neanderthal.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”