JUST the Stolen Documents/Mar-A-Lago/"Judge" Cannon Trial

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: The Politics of National Security

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

LandM wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:37 am You et al should check your TDS - you and others embarrass yourself. You are another well known poster that hates DT. Check tradition and get back to me.
What did you think of the article I posted?
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:48 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:42 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:04 pm
LandM wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:57 pm TLD.
Here we go again. You like to mimic Patton. Guess what, look in the archives, he did not pass a math class 3 times. They gave him a hall pass and he graduated because they thought he would be a great military officer and general. Could you do that today - nope. You and MD and CU and Kismet have your heads so far up a carnal caveaty that you can not think. Can we just agree that I did not vote for the guy and I would appreciate an adult in the room. But your blind hatred takes away what a bunch of young people did and accomplished. I am assuming youth has a lax player at USNA. Give the damn kid a break. You and others are so driven by hatred that you are leaving the forest for the trees.
I hate the guy..... Not liked him for 30+ years. I will readily admit it. I am not a hypocrite. Things like using these cadets as campaign props is a good example of why I don’t like the guy. Has never thought about anyone but himself. His kids finally came around to suck his blood when they became adults. You ever see him with his kids when they were young? You ever see him with his young son?
Is it okay to refer to TLD as old "blood and guts" ? :D
I have not seen blood and guts. Only blood and brains.
Patton was very fond of the nickname. Old blood and brains would not have worked.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

LandM wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:37 am You et al should check your TDS - you and others embarrass yourself. You are another well known poster that hates DT. Check tradition and get back to me.
I do loathe the President and think I am amply justified in saying so and believing it. Nearly every day he does something -- some act, some omission. some statement, or tweet or retweet -- that justifies criticism. Consider last night and this morning:

At 12:23 AM, he tweets about three news anchors/media personalities: Brian Williams, Don Lemon, and Joe Scarborough. This appears to be followed by some needed sleep, and then up in the morning to retweet stuff about Mike Flynn, Breibart articles, and F&F interviews. When does he read the PDB? Meet with intelligence officials? Get briefed on the 60,000 dead and 1,000,000 infected and 300,000,000 affected?

Warren Rudman famously said, "Americans have a constitutional right to be wrong." I don't mind that you think I am embarrassing myself; it's OK with me. I just asked about the weird "working for momma" comments and the childish name-calling directed at TLD and MDLax.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:52 am
Here we go again. You like to mimic Patton. Guess what, look in the archives, he did not pass a math class 3 times. They gave him a hall pass and he graduated because they thought he would be a great military officer and general. Could you do that today - nope. You and MD and CU and Kismet have your heads so far up a carnal caveaty that you can not think. Can we just agree that I did not vote for the guy and I would appreciate an adult in the room. But your blind hatred takes away what a bunch of young people did and accomplished. I am assuming youth has a lax player at USNA. Give the damn kid a break. You and others are so driven by hatred that you are leaving the forest for the trees.
I hate the guy..... Not liked him for 30+ years. I will readily admit it. I am not a hypocrite. Things like using these cadets as campaign props is a good example of why I don’t like the guy. Has never thought about anyone but himself. His kids finally came around to suck his blood when they became adults. You ever see him with his kids when they were young? You ever see him with his young son?
Patton was very fond of the nickname. Old blood and brains would not have worked.
Did you have a chance to read the article I posted? If so, what do you think of that person's opinion on hosting the Army West Point graduation ceremony?
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:12 am
Did you have a chance to read the article I posted? If so, what do you think of that person's opinion on hosting the Army West Point graduation ceremony?
I just read it and I agree with the author. The commandants of these academies wanted them canceled. It is a sad thing but the prudent thing to do for everyone. Making it a dog and pony show so POTUS can give a speech... REALLY?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:22 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:12 am
I just read it and I agree with the author. The commandants of these academies wanted them canceled. It is a sad thing but the prudent thing to do for everyone. Making it a dog and pony show so POTUS can give a speech... REALLY?
That was my take. I wanted to see if I was way off base so I looked to find if someone closer to the experience shared a similar view. I guess it’s not just TDS. Thanks for responding. Why people defend a POTUS at every turn is beyond me.
“I wish you would!”
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LandM wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:08 pm Hey Beavis,
Go look at the rotating schedule - you are seriously a dbag. It is common and customary. Now slowly pull your head out of your channel. Thank you
Personal Attack. 30 Second 1 Day Penalty. Penalty will be released at noon on Friday.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:01 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:46 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:10 am MD, I never payed close enough attention to your avatar to realize you spent your time between the pipes. My son was a goalie in HS and briefly in college before he turned to Rugby. I can remember him taking shots off his shins that made me cringe. When I would ask him about it and say doesn't that freaking hurt, he would just shrug and say, you don't feel the pain after a few dozen times. You goalies are truly crazy, many props to you for facing all those bullets.
There are far more dangerous bullets, of course. Balls in a game.

Yes, you do need a certain mentality to absorb pain.

The nuance I'd add to your son's response is that when it matters most to stop the ball, the adrenaline and joy of making the save overcomes the pain sensation.

Games were easy, very rare to actually notice any pain.

Practices in the freezing cold of February, games weeks away, not so easy! Especially 'shooting drills', goalie just there to make the shooter beat him. Fodder.

Trick was to find a way to bring that adrenaline to the fore. For me, it was to find a way to 'compete' in as many moments as possible.

Same for wrestling. Constant, grueling pain, all in preparation for 6 mins on Friday nights in front of a packed gym, one on one. Success or failure. So, find all the little moments to 'compete' during the preparation.

Have to make pain your friend.

I played football the same way, then Cross Country when I had a separated shoulder.

I had very limited athletic talent, so this was my path to getting the most out of those talents.

Goaltending seems to have been 'in the blood'. My dad was a 3X All American goalie and on a national champion, captain his senior year. I was a 2X, MVP etc. Son was All-Ivy. But I didn't switch to the net until 8th grade when others started growing bigger, faster than me. I'd been the stud center midfielder for years, but seemingly overnight others were bypassing me physically. My son made the switch from being a defenseman same age, in his case because the star tender had taken some shots to the chest and decided to switch to attack. My son didn't think they would win another game if he didn't step up.

The other aspect of being a tender that I think is actually harder than the pain is the reality that there's so much failure. So many shots go in! So, the mental toughness to flush the prior moment and to re-focus on the task at hand, loose and confident...that's the hardest part.

I don't think there's an equivalency with military training and actual battle... and sports, but I do imagine that some of the same processes are at play. Training is a grind, grueling and painful, so finding ways to bring the adrenaline in the moment and a commitment to the objective is critical. And when actual battle occurs, all 'pain' fades in the moment, in fighting for the guy next to you, for the objective.

Make sense?
It makes sense to me. My son was much better with a long pole. He was a ground ball magnet. He wanted to be between the pipes. I remember the shouts from the stands after a goal.. " come on keeper, you gotta stop that shot" Goalie is a lonely job, especially if your long poles can't clear the ball. His coach would say you have to be a little crazy to want to do it. My son loved the challenge. How he ever chose rugby is beyond me. You gotta love the pain.
yup, I never argue with those who feel we must have a few loose screws.
Rugby is a great game, plenty of bleeding!
Bunch of buddies played at Dartmouth; my then future bride played some women's rugby there, but her old ankle injury knocked her out.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

LandM wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:56 am Hey MD,
Juvenile.....I will take that as a compliment. Google Admiral McRaven's speech at UT. He is someone you all should be doing hosinn'as to as he hates your boy. His speech was 18 minutes long and the first few were about him not remembering who his commencement speaker was as he was drunk. BUT he was commissioned and went to SEAL training right after. You are blinded by hatred and no nothing about tradition.

BTW, been in every state and continent and 75% plus or minus one or two countries. Swing and a miss. If you want an experience that sucks and lasts a lifetime, go tell parents that JR. is coming to meet his maker. You tell me if Dartmouth or a D3 school taught you that humbleness.

Now get back to working for momma :lol:
swing and a miss?
I was just trying to find some common ground.
I read your posts, many involve the travel, the appreciation for the places you are visiting.
I haven't done as much, but enough to know how beautiful America is and how lucky I am to be an American.
Also done enough to know that there are many beautiful places and peoples in the world, all of which I can appreciate too.

Thought that could be something on which we'd agree.

Yes, McRaven's speech was great, exactly the right sort of thing for such an occasion.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Another sign national security takes a back seat to immigration (wall building) but OS will be happy as it sticks it to those Euroburghers rather than the Rooskies - who needs Rota as a base anyway.

https://www.stripes.com/esper-defers-pr ... l-1.627794

" STUTTGART, Germany — Military projects primarily aimed at countering Russia, including upgrades to a U.S. Navy base in Spain, are among those being put on the backburner as the Pentagon shifts funds to pay for a border wall.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper this week ordered $545 million in construction projects to be redirected to fund a wall along the U.S.’s southern border with Mexico.

The move restores funding to 22 projects that were deferred at domestic bases and instead defers or cancels 18 projects overseas and one in Texas. Europe’s portion added up to around $270 million worth of project delays and cancellations.

The projects deferred at the Navy base in Rota, Spain, are a joint mobility center, a small craft berthing facility and a munitions facility, Esper’s directive stated Monday. A hot cargo pad where explosives can be unloaded at Moron Air Base, Spain, used by crisis response Marines, also was postponed.

In Germany, a logistics hub in Germersheim was deferred. Funding for a taxiway at an air base in Rygge, Norway, was canceled."
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:18 am Another sign national security takes a back seat to immigration (wall building) but OS will be happy as it sticks it to those Euroburghers rather than the Rooskies - who needs Rota as a base anyway.

https://www.stripes.com/esper-defers-pr ... l-1.627794

" STUTTGART, Germany — Military projects primarily aimed at countering Russia, including upgrades to a U.S. Navy base in Spain, are among those being put on the backburner as the Pentagon shifts funds to pay for a border wall.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper this week ordered $545 million in construction projects to be redirected to fund a wall along the U.S.’s southern border with Mexico.

The move restores funding to 22 projects that were deferred at domestic bases and instead defers or cancels 18 projects overseas and one in Texas. Europe’s portion added up to around $270 million worth of project delays and cancellations.

The projects deferred at the Navy base in Rota, Spain, are a joint mobility center, a small craft berthing facility and a munitions facility, Esper’s directive stated Monday. A hot cargo pad where explosives can be unloaded at Moron Air Base, Spain, used by crisis response Marines, also was postponed.

In Germany, a logistics hub in Germersheim was deferred. Funding for a taxiway at an air base in Rygge, Norway, was canceled."
Good. We should be downsizing our EUropresence, not building it back up.
With the pandemic, neither side has the resources to continue this Cold War II nonsense.
Let's see what the new world order looks like, post pandemic.

Those upgrades are on our allies joint use bases. If the EUroburghers feel they're necessary for their defense from their Russian customers & energy supplier, they can fund them.

Rota has everything needed. There's already been huge upgrades there since the Cold War. Those are "nice to have" projects which lag mission demand. With the wind down of our ME & Afghan ops, airlift throughput via Rota is way down. As the article notes, they already have the capacity to homeport additional USN warships, if we decide to do that, which is highly unlikely due to the pivot to West Pac. Thanks to all the buildup since 2003, Rota is much more capable now to counter the Russian naval threat than we were at the end of the Cold War. Send the destroyers, frigates, & P-8 subhunter patrol aitcraft, Rota's ready now to host them.

.:lol:. ...as usual, you're applying your NYT bias to the Stripe's objective reporting :
The move restores funding to 22 projects that were deferred at domestic bases and instead defers or cancels 18 projects overseas and one in Texas.

All the Europe projects were connected to the European Deterrence Initiative, which sets aside money for countering Russia

Although Pentagon officials described the deferments as temporary, it could be up to Congress to fund them again.

“Of note, deferral does not mean DoD is cancelling the projects — we still have them in our plans as requirements for future potential funding,” EUCOM spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Joe Hontz said in a statement. “All projects on this list are important, and we will continue to work with Congress to support them.”

Overall, the delayed projects represent a small slice of the military construction work funded in Europe over the last five years. Under the Pentagon’s deterrence program, millions have been spent on refurbishing bases in the Baltics, training grounds in Poland and setting up networks of pre-positioned sites for stockpiling weaponry in Europe.

Still, building up capabilities is a priority at Rota, where leaders at U.S. European Command have long sought to add to the four Navy destroyers based there.

EUCOM’s Gen. Tod Wolters told the Senate Armed Services Committee in February that we wants more destroyers in Rota and that infrastructure is in place now to make that happen, should the Navy position more ships there. So far, the Navy hasn’t publicly indicated that it’s giving serious consideration to such a move.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

I linked the Stripes story and not the NYT, in fact, I didn't reference the NYT at all.

Your Benghazi double standards hemline is showing. :oops: :oops:
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 pm I linked the Stripes story and not the NYT, in fact, I didn't reference the NYT at all.

You crafted your slanted excerpt & headline, using your NYT style guide.
When you have nothing, try the irrelevant Benghazi deflection.
Here's your boogeyman.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:41 pm
Kismet wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 pm I linked the Stripes story and not the NYT, in fact, I didn't reference the NYT at all.

You crafted your slanted excerpt & headline, using your NYT style guide.
When you have nothing, try the irrelevant Benghazi deflection.
Here's your boogeyman.
Like most everything else you post around here.....WRONG
Keep dreaming about stuff like this which you are CLUELESS about which explains why you make stuff up to support your screwball angle on some things when you don't have anything else to hang your hat on.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Putin looking long-in-the-tooth. Hopefully we won't need to see him with his shirt off again :oops:
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:16 pm Rota has everything needed. There's already been huge upgrades there since the Cold War. Those are "nice to have" projects which lag mission demand. With the wind down of our ME & Afghan ops, airlift throughput via Rota is way down. As the article notes, they already have the capacity to homeport additional USN warships, if we decide to do that, which is highly unlikely due to the pivot to West Pac. Thanks to all the buildup since 2003, Rota is much more capable now to counter the Russian naval threat than we were at the end of the Cold War. Send the destroyers, frigates, & P-8 subhunter patrol aitcraft, Rota's ready now to host them.
Speaking of our Rota based destroyers, here's what 3 of them are doing.
Didn't expect to earn a Blue Nose card when transferring to sunny southern Spain.
https://news.usni.org/2020/05/04/u-s-u- ... more-76082
old salt

Post by old salt »

Stumbled across this video about the naval warfare during the Falklands conflict. Pretty good.
I was deployed to the Med at the time. It made for interesting reading on our daily message boards,

...meanwhile in West Pac, our 2 carriers are stuck in port, while China's carrier strike group steams back & forth between Japan & Okinawa, & their invasion plans for Taiwan are being dusted off.
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/militar ... ier-strike
https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/ch ... l-1.627782
Now on the Big Stick : Make preperations to get underway
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/coasta ... s-outbreak
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Not exactly US national security - but an ex Green Beret is in a bit of trouble in Venezuela:
Five Points On The Insane Venezuelan Coup Attempt Led By An Ex-Green Beret
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/fivepoint ... reen-beret

Insane plan - that was infiltrated by the Venezuelan government.

AP published their plan and they went ahead with it _anyway_ while tweeting at Trump...

Mastermind claims to have provided private security for Trump (Charlotte, NC apperance).

At least one of the participants involved with drugs/narcoterrorism.

The opposition leader knew about it (as did the government). Trump says he never heard of it.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Bay of Pigs Part Deux. ...I had a Cuban-American squadron mate who flew a B-26 from Nicaragua in that goat rope.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:25 pm Bay of Pigs Part Deux. ...I had a Cuban-American squadron mate who flew a B-26 from Nicaragua in that goat rope.

You can tell Trump is lying because his lips are moving. What a dope.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”