Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxxygilmore

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by laxxygilmore »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:33 pm
laxxygilmore wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:24 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:40 pm 5851C532-D2DB-4011-8D43-34A60E832D1D.jpeg

Modeled after the Lawn at UVa.

Some of you will have driven or walked by this hundreds of times.
Ahh, yes indeed. Both providing their own unique KODAK Moment opportunities. ;)

Well, that photo doesn’t show the horrifying TJ serpentine walls.

BTW, a few people put a cow on top of the Rotunda in the 1960s.

Remained a huge mystery for years.
LOL! TJ certainly wasn't perfect.
BTW, the large cloud formation over the rotunda looks like a bull head with a serious set of horns!
:o
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

laxxygilmore wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:04 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:33 pm
laxxygilmore wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:24 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:40 pm 5851C532-D2DB-4011-8D43-34A60E832D1D.jpeg

Modeled after the Lawn at UVa.

Some of you will have driven or walked by this hundreds of times.
Ahh, yes indeed. Both providing their own unique KODAK Moment opportunities. ;)

Well, that photo doesn’t show the horrifying TJ serpentine walls.

BTW, a few people put a cow on top of the Rotunda in the 1960s.

Remained a huge mystery for years.
LOL! TJ certainly wasn't perfect.
BTW, the large cloud formation over the rotunda looks like a bull head with a serious set of horns!
:o
I see it! Good job pointing that out.

I also see dark clouds in UVa’s future.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Q&A with Milliman on May 16 at 1:30pm as part of the virtual alumni weekend. Registration for it opens this Wednesday.

They're also replaying the 2005 title game vs. Duke on the 17th.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Should have a full staff by the 16th. Nice to have some kind of external deadline.
ptjhu

Post by ptjhu »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:19 pm Q&A with Milliman on May 16 at 1:30pm as part of the virtual alumni weekend. Registration for it opens this Wednesday.

They're also replaying the 2005 title game vs. Duke on the 17th.
Wish they'd show the OT semi-final game versus Virginia, instead.
Jaysjay88

Post by Jaysjay88 »

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Jaysjay88 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:02 pm JHU v Virginia 2005 Semis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D-3ZjVpUB8
now tell me how to cast to my tv now that the wifey upgraded the router.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

This is a brick and mortar shop, not your tech support hotline.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Never EVER let your wife touch your router.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Great game and great memories. I was in New Orleans for a friend's bachelor party and was running around Bourbon St. looking for a bar that was broadcasting a game. Finally paid a bartender $100 (when I had more money than sense) to change one of the tvs in a back corner for the game. That worked until the thunder storm delay and he had to switch.

But, a couple of interesting points (I only watched the last 2 minutes and OT)
- The minute of the 4th quarter and OT - jeez great lacrosse.
- I remember Byrne dipping his right shoulder under the defender's stick but I didn't remember he switched to his left and took a worse angle shot but Turner was set up for the right handed shot and not the left.
- After Byrne's goal - was that a Ref called stick check on Byrne or was Dom in his ear to call check Byrne's stick. The shot of Dom's smile afterwards says he put it in the ref's ear. I doubt he makes the call otherwise.
-Jesse was skinny once.

Though we are in a new regime. Just wanted to talk about one point that was brought up in the broadcast. Going into that game DP's record in 1 goal games was 19-4. Going into that UVA game DP had coached 71 games at Hopkins. Obviously leaving that game he was 20-4. Those are amazing stats and hard to maintain. What is also amazing is that 1/3 of his 1st 72 games were 1 goal games.

While coaching plays a great deal into 1 goal games. Luck also plays a part. I went back and checked DP's last 72 games to see what his record was in 1 goal games was. He was 8-6. Not as good. What is also noticeable was the drop in number of games those 1 goal. I don't find it that strange.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

CU77 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:19 am Never EVER let your wife touch your router.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. :D

Maybe every once in awhile is okay. ;)
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I was at that game and remember the crazy wind gusts that blew in with that storm...then Kyle H took over.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Dupe post, sorry
Last edited by FMUBart on Tue May 05, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

This thread is full of euphemisms and echoes.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

steel_hop wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:01 am
Great game and great memories. I was in New Orleans for a friend's bachelor party and was running around Bourbon St. looking for a bar that was broadcasting a game. Finally paid a bartender $100 (when I had more money than sense) to change one of the tvs in a back corner for the game. That worked until the thunder storm delay and he had to switch.

But, a couple of interesting points (I only watched the last 2 minutes and OT)
- The minute of the 4th quarter and OT - jeez great lacrosse.
- I remember Byrne dipping his right shoulder under the defender's stick but I didn't remember he switched to his left and took a worse angle shot but Turner was set up for the right handed shot and not the left.
- After Byrne's goal - was that a Ref called stick check on Byrne or was Dom in his ear to call check Byrne's stick. The shot of Dom's smile afterwards says he put it in the ref's ear. I doubt he makes the call otherwise.
-Jesse was skinny once.

Though we are in a new regime. Just wanted to talk about one point that was brought up in the broadcast. Going into that game DP's record in 1 goal games was 19-4. Going into that UVA game DP had coached 71 games at Hopkins. Obviously leaving that game he was 20-4. Those are amazing stats and hard to maintain. What is also amazing is that 1/3 of his 1st 72 games were 1 goal games.

While coaching plays a great deal into 1 goal games. Luck also plays a part. I went back and checked DP's last 72 games to see what his record was in 1 goal games was. He was 8-6. Not as good. What is also noticeable was the drop in number of games those 1 goal. I don't find it that strange.
Starsia absolutely called for the stick check after the Byrne goal. Petro's reaction and facial expression tells you everything you need to know. It was a total BS move on Dom's part.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:05 pm
now tell me how to cast to my tv now that the wifey upgraded the router.
Thanks for posting. Its funny, I was at the game but have never watched the whole broadcast. A few random thoughts:
- I forgot how good Kip Turner was in that game.
- Both defenses were nasty. For all the talent Hop had on offense in that era, the big difference between "early Petro" and "late Petro" teams was on the defensive end.
- They played a lot longer in that thunderstorm than I remeber. In person, it seemed like UVa scored 5 goals in a minute and then walked off the field!
- If Jack DeVilliers doesn't go after the loose ball on that last face-off in regulation, Hop loses.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Byrne's game winner against Duke two days later was a left handed shot quite unexpected from the goalie as well. I wonder how many of his goals were left handed - likely not many - but the two most important were.

If Jack DeV hadn't decided to chase Peyser's inital flub of the face-off and if that skip pass hadn't gotten thrugh everybody..........
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:40 pm Byrne's game winner against Duke two days later was a left handed shot quite unexpected from the goalie as well. I wonder how many of his goals were left handed - likely not many - but the two most important were.

If Jack DeV hadn't decided to chase Peyser's inital flub of the face-off and if that skip pass hadn't gotten thrugh everybody..........
uva has had about 4 or 5 championship opportunities slip through their fingers. lord knows how many ot losses in champ games.
petro... king of the one goal games.
2019, hooville was due. at least for a reversion to the mean.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://alumni.jhu.edu/alumni-weekend-goes-virtual

Something called a dj kopec gets more ink on the schedule than the lax coach which is pretty fitting for the current state of the program and its relationship w/alumni. Would've been nice if they would've opened up the daniels/milliman segments to alumni and parent questions like a town hall. Would've been helpful for the university to engage.

On the brightside brady faby, a little used player from a few years ago leads a panel discussion. Sounds like he's going places.

3:00 – 4:00 pm
Hop Talk: Cybersecurity in a COVID-19 World
Brady Faby ‘15 and Itai Tevet

Join Johns Hopkins University and cybersecurity firm, Intezer for this webinar exploring COVID-19’s global effects on the cyber landscape. Hear about the striking similarities between biological viruses and computer viruses from JHU Alumni, Brady Faby 15’, and Intezer CEO, Itai Tevet. Are we capable of producing a “genetic” vaccine to replace today’s traditional cybersecurity approaches? Recent advancements in biology have led us closer to producing a lifelong vaccine for the Flu, which just over 100 years ago caused the deadliest pandemic in history. Immunologists are looking at the genetic makeup of a virus to prevent the spread of infection rather than chasing specific variants. Can the same approach be applied to cybersecurity to prevent the infection of computer viruses?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:40 pm Byrne's game winner against Duke two days later was a left handed shot quite unexpected from the goalie as well. I wonder how many of his goals were left handed - likely not many - but the two most important were.

Greg Peyser to Jake Byrne in the 2005 semifinal is one of the greatest plays in NCAA tournament history. Run that play a hundred times and Hopkins scores in maybe a few of those.

Byrne also had four goals in the national championship game in 2007. Along with Schwartzmann, one of the best Big Game Players of the Petro era.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”