Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Bluesteel

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Bluesteel »

Cottle, Starsia, now Petro, bottom line is you have to win, and not have any scandals. Have a lot of respect for Petro as a coach and a player, but Hopkins has certainly slipped in the last couple of years. Petro was able to get a great talent like Epstein to come to the Hop, but was it enough? No final four since 2015, no championship since 2007, a metrics guy like Daniels would have picked that up. Without a Healthy Epstein, Hop was terrible this year. A change was needed, wish the AD could have handled it differently, but this alum has heard a lot of good things about Millman, particularly his offensive mindset. I wish him luck.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Still no correct answer to my serpentine wall trivia question.

The answer was not:

Page count

Whatever the hell DB said. I’m sure it’s wrong. Ignore.

I’ll give 0.001 credit to the answer that stated because the Hopkins thread is THE place to discuss everything (except politics).

But, the question remains unanswered.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Bluesteel wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:15 pm Cottle, Starsia, now Petro, bottom line is you have to win, and not have any scandals. Have a lot of respect for Petro as a coach and a player, but Hopkins has certainly slipped in the last couple of years. Petro was able to get a great talent like Epstein to come to the Hop, but was it enough? No final four since 2015, no championship since 2007, a metrics guy like Daniels would have picked that up. Without a Healthy Epstein, Hop was terrible this year. A change was needed, wish the AD could have handled it differently, but this alum has heard a lot of good things about Millman, particularly his offensive mindset. I wish him luck.
this ^^^
on or about when breschi was hired, maybe a bit earlier, it wasn't good enough at the top programs to just stay off the blotter and do "good enough". you could retire there.

at hopkins that's always been the case, but not many other places until the last decade or so..
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

I have about had it with "Lockdown". One columnist in The Chicago Tribune called it :Coronavirus Ennui. That's fancy. Run out of things to do. Done the laundry, shined the silver, went for a walk, watched a bunch of old movies, etc. Might as well come on this forum and write something uninsightful :oops:

Yesterday, I watched the 2019 Women's NC game between MD and BC. It was a terrifically played game. Fast, lots of energy, and the great players played well together with the really good players. Wonderful Team efforts. Then watched the Men's 2019 playoff games and in particular the behavior of the Duke, Va and Md coaches. They were always coaching and encouraging their players. No yelling at the players.. Great stuff. Reminded me of the "good old days" in men's lacrosse. I played for some really good coaches in both high school and college on championship teams at both levels. I never had a coach who swore at players or refs. Never had a coach who was a "lax bro". Never had a coach who pretended to be a "father figure". Just good coaches who generally had credibility with the players. No administration ever had to admonish a Coach about their behavior and language on the sideline.

I think that Rabil's and Rambo's behavior is just embarrassing for them. (30+ year old "lax bros"). Quite frankly, I think that Coach Pietramala's behavior was often that of a late 40 year old "lax bro". Why is he giving so many TV, radio and newspaper interviews? Coach P, move on "gracefully". The Hopkins gig is over. Find a new platform. My opinion is that a college lacrosse Coach has to have a good relationship with his players (& no favorites), with the Admin, with the lacrosse alumni, and with the school's alumni.

It should not be surprising that JHU lacrosse alumni are very interested in JHU lacrosse, keep in touch, are proud of its tradition and success over the last 120+ years, and want lacrosse to continue to be competitive. The Big 10 was used by Coach P and his hardcore supporters to excuse a lack of progress. So what if Md, Penn State and Ohio State have built new lacrosse facilities. Who picks their college on the condition of the lacrosse locker room? Nobody that Hopkins should be recruiting, (or Yale, or Princeton, or Duke, or Penn, or Cornel)l. Only Md among those Big 10 schools has won a NC, and Title lX has prevented the spread of men's lacrosse into big football schools. Who knows what any change in $ payment to college will mean.

Importantly, My strong impression is that Hopkins Lacrosse Alumni wish Coach Milliman only the best, and want him to pick his own assistants that will help him to be successful. And none of his Assistants need to be Hopkins guys. Not one.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Uninsightful? I think not, helluva post.
Everything is right about the Milliman hire, IMO, a loss for Cornell, a good get for Hop.
Hop needed a new look and new energy. If Milliman wins a NC with Hop any time soon,
they'll rename the Cordish Center The Milliman House and forget about that non Hopkins
guy stuff in a heartbeat.
New look, new attitude...Jays feelin' good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6i36M1Bwug
a fan

Post by a fan »

Chitown wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:22 pm Who picks their college on the condition of the lacrosse locker room?
Teenagers that are on recruiting trips.

If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it. And if kids thought long term, no lacrosse recruit would choose Hopkins and a mountain of debt unless they wanted to be doctors.

....Harvard and their need based aid would have gone undefeated the last 20 years, with the rest of the Ivies not far behind. And the Service Academies would be top 10 programs year in and year out.

Free choice is quite a thing to hand to a 17yo kid, no? ;)
CU77

Post by CU77 »

a fan wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:05 pm Teenagers that are on recruiting trips.
sometimes, but if this was always true, Cornell wouldn't have a team at all, much less one with 2 Tewy winners in the past 12 years.

And didn't Hop renovate their facilities fairly recently?

And: Petro fans blaming B1G membership for his woes is awfully precious. Wasn't Petro in favor of joining in the first place?? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have happened if he didn't want it to. It's not like Daniels' fondest dream was to be part of a gigantic machoman sports league. So if it was a bad thing to do, Petro is the guy to blame.

And and: is the argument that Hop recruits would not visit other schools if Hop wasn't in a league? This makes no sense at all.
Last edited by CU77 on Sat May 02, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:45 am Thought it was great. Would've listened to more of the terp/hop rival stories/libation enhanced sh-t talking.
Honestly, how great would be to hear just stories about game week and during the game? That kind of inside the lines stuff is so awesome.

MD-Hop
Cuse-UVA
Duke-UNC
Loyola-Towson

A series of podcast or oral histories of those would be amazing. I'm sure Army-Navy would be, too, but I wonder how much crap-talking goes on in those games?

How has this not been done yet?!!!
a fan

Post by a fan »

CU77 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:20 pm
sometimes, but if this was always true, Cornell wouldn't have a team at all, much less one with 2 Tewy winners in the past 12 years.
:lol: Exactly. Kids choose schools for a whole mess of reasons. Not all of them make sense to outsiders.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

CU77 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:20 pm

And didn't Hop renovate their facilities fairly recently?

And: Petro fans blaming B1G membership for his woes is awfully precious. Wasn't Petro in favor of joining in the first place?? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have happened if he didn't want it to. It's not like Daniels' fondest dream was to be part of a gigantic machoman sports league. So if it was a bad thing to do, Petro is the guy to blame.

And and: is the argument that Hop recruits would not visit other schools if Hop wasn't in a league? This makes no sense at all.
I think the rationale for joining a league was to get a second bite of the NCAA playoff apple.
This worked out for them in 2015. Maryland wanted Hop to join to have a six team league and get an AQ for the tournament winner.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:05 pm
Chitown wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:22 pm Who picks their college on the condition of the lacrosse locker room?
Teenagers that are on recruiting trips.

If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it. And if kids thought long term, no lacrosse recruit would choose Hopkins and a mountain of debt unless they wanted to be doctors.

....Harvard and their need based aid would have gone undefeated the last 20 years, with the rest of the Ivies not far behind. And the Service Academies would be top 10 programs year in and year out.

Free choice is quite a thing to hand to a 17yo kid, no? ;)
17!! Many kids were committing at 14&15....actually 1 ACC coach laughed about getting kids to commit after showing them how many helmet and glove combinations the players get.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

I thought campus visits were Junior year?

But that doesn't surprise me in the least to hear about kids going nuts over the free gear. We forget how dumb we are at that age....

Speaking for myself, at least...
Jaysjay88

Post by Jaysjay88 »

Withdrawal. What would you say was the best Hop game of the last say 10 years? Game video available?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Jaysjay88 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:01 pm Withdrawal. What would you say was the best Hop game of the last say 10 years? Game video available?
Not sure where there is video available but some of my favorites:

- 2011 vs. Maryland (Kyle Wharton wins it in OT to complete huge comeback at Byrd)
- 2012 vs. Virginia (#1 vs #2, Ranagan wins in OT to end what had been a pretty long drought at Klockner)
- 2013 vs. Albany (we lost this game 10-9 but if you want to remember what good defense looks like—Tucker Durkin held Lyle Thompson to 0 points and 5 turnovers)
- 2014 vs. Ohio State (season opener, winner in triple overtime)
- 2015—basically everything from the stretch run (double OT win vs. Penn State, beating Maryland, inaugural Big Ten Championship win vs. Ohio State, 19-7 destruction of UVA at Klockner with the ol' hidden ball trick, QF thriller win vs. Syracuse, Final Four loss 12-11 to Maryland on Bernlohr's save with the butt of his freakin stick)
- 2017 vs. Virginia (18-17 win in overtime)
- 2018 vs. Syracuse (biggest deficit in this game I can remember...absolutely throttled the Orange in the Dome); 30T loss to Maryland on Homecoming, (not the outcome we wanted but a great game—the three after that were also quite good en route to B1G title #2 and OT comeback win vs. Georgetown in the NCAAs, thought that was admittedly ugly for 3 quarters)
- 2020—burn all the tape after the Towson win

They replayed the Big Ten tournament from last year on BTN today—victory over Maryland and then overtime loss to Penn State...the team was playing so well late last season which makes the blowout loss to Notre Dame all the more frustrating. Wasn't like '16 or '17 when they entered the tournament looking shaky
Jaysjay88

Post by Jaysjay88 »

Awesome HF16! Thank you. Great memory. I found 2011 game earlier today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XXEskKOQi8
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Homewood South Gate WymanPk-ArtMuseumDrive
Homewood South Gate WymanPk-ArtMuseumDrive
5851C532-D2DB-4011-8D43-34A60E832D1D.jpeg (248.1 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
Modeled after the Lawn at UVa.

Some of you will have driven or walked by this hundreds of times.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Any rumblings on assistants coaches?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:25 am Any rumblings on assistants coaches?
I haven't heard a thing.

This is 100% entirely speculative but there are a few guys out there who have connections to Milliman and make some degree of sense to me.

Brian Kavanagh, Vermont's defensive assistant, played at Princeton while Milliman was an assistant there in 2013. A former goalie himself, he's mentored All-American Nick Washuta and Vermont's defense has been good with him on staff. He was hired in 2017, last year they were 11th in the country in goals allowed per game and this season they were at 5th in the country giving up just 8 goals per game, albeit against relatively weak competition. Still, he's young, has goalie experience, knows Milliman already, and Hopkins would be probably be a step up in stature (read: $$$) for him.

And he wasn't there at the same tame as Milliman but oddly enough St. Joe's defensive coordinator Mike Horowitz also coached at Division II Pfeiffer University, getting there the year after Milliman left. St. Joe's was 15th in the country in goals allowed per game this year, giving up fewer than 10 in 5/7 contests. If he was hired, maybe AA goalie Mike Adler would come along with him. :idea:

After a cursory glance I couldn't find any other realistic candidates that have an obvious connection to Milliman, but these guys pretty much all know eachother to some degree. Again—no clue if those two guys are being considered, and if so, if they'd want the job—just spitballing here. I still think it's likely one of the two assistants has a Hopkins connection (or at the very least, a Baltimore area connection).
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:40 pm 5851C532-D2DB-4011-8D43-34A60E832D1D.jpeg

Ahh, yes indeed. Both providing their own unique KODAK Moment opportunities. ;)

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

laxxygilmore wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:24 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:40 pm 5851C532-D2DB-4011-8D43-34A60E832D1D.jpeg

Ahh, yes indeed. Both providing their own unique KODAK Moment opportunities. ;)

Well, that photo doesn’t show the horrifying TJ serpentine walls.

BTW, a few people put a cow on top of the Rotunda in the 1960s.

Remained a huge mystery for years.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”