The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:42 pm That’s the attitude, just give up. :roll: You have absolutely no basis for your claim. Who says there is no demand....all those people going stir crazy in those apartments.
Demand is a huge part of it. The other is that owners like me have no interest in wiping out my own staff.

If we had testing? Do you have ANY idea how much that would help owners like me throw open our doors? But we don't have them.

I can share some things I've discussed with my brother regarding opening the doors at restaurants.

-open your doors to large-ish private parties. This way, customers feel more comfortable that they are less likely to get it from those who have been responsibly distancing.

-leave one table in the center open. This is where servers set the meals and drinks. And people come and get them when the servers leave. More distancing.

-and the most obvious suggestion? Shut down entire city blocks, and pull restaurant tables outside, spaced several feet apart. THIS would make even me feel more comfortable about eating at a restaurant.

Every scientist you hear from says outside is the way to go....and inside, with recirculating air is the worst thing you can do. It's nearly summer. Take advantage of the weather.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:42 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:33 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:26 pm
Kismet wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:24 pm Just saw a report tonight that perhaps as many as 40% of the restaurants in the five boroughs of NYC will likely never re-open.
Exactly why they should re open now.
No, there's little to no demand.
They are free to 'open' now. Pick-up, delivery, etc.
Those that adapted their business model to do so are surviving for now.
Though by the skin of their teeth.

But there's no way that people are going to be able to congregate densely for quite awhile. That's the brutal truth.

And the economics of dining with social distancing just don't add up. But some will try.
That’s the attitude, just give up. :roll: You have absolutely no basis for your claim. Who says there is no demand....all those people going stir crazy in those apartments.

But your testimony to them....yes shut your doors it’s futile.
huh, that's your takeaway???...see my prior post on the topic.

This is the brutal reality, it's going to hurt the little guys who already operate on a slim thread of profits in good times. the larger chains are going to be able to maintain at a higher rate.

That's NOT a good thing. But it's the brutal reality.
Demand is going to be depressed, no two ways about it.

The only positive is that people in this business are very entrepreneurial, so when demand comes back, many will fill niches.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Kismet wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:24 pm Just saw a report tonight that perhaps as many as 40% of the restaurants in the five boroughs of NYC will likely never re-open.

But there's no way that people are going to be able to congregate densely for quite awhile. That's the brutal truth.

And the economics of dining with social distancing just don't add up. But some will try.

:lol:

You literally can not get a table at most decent sit-down restaurants in Florida starting tomorrow. Stage 1, 25% capacity. Sold out.

And this is off-season.
a fan

Post by a fan »

That's Florida.

NYC is different.

Every State is going to figure it out just fine. There is no such thing as "too soon", or "too late" at the point where the decision is made. It's impossible to know...and I have yet to hear from a Governor who either doesn't care about the health, or the economic well being, of their citizens. They care about both, as we all do.

My advice to everyone? Quit whining, and just do what you can to help your communities. I have no doubts posters are already doing that.

I can't imagine having to make that call as a Governor. No thanks.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:05 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:38 pm
Kismet wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:34 pm
Maybe. But with reduced seating and potentially very low customer demand out of fear, might not make much of a difference to many.
Fair enough. But you don’t know if you don’t try. I am willing to wager that people would be thrilled to get out and sit elsewhere at their favorite place. Likely even pay a premium to do so.

If even wager they’d have a waitlist to get it.
I can afford to pay a premium. I would be happy to pay up.
If outside and well distanced, with staff wearing masks, etc...and tested?
Me too...looking forward to it.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:52 pm
Maybe. But with reduced seating and potentially very low customer demand out of fear, might not make much of a difference to many.
Fair enough. But you don’t know if you don’t try. I am willing to wager that people would be thrilled to get out and sit elsewhere at their favorite place. Likely even pay a premium to do so.

My comment was tongue in cheek.....Premiums to eat out is just another example of the “I got mine” mentality of the top 5%......Let them eat cake didn’t work out to good last time..
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sun May 03, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:54 pm

My comment was tongue in cheek.....Premiums to eat out is just another example of the “I got mine” mentality of the top 5%.
ahhh yes, certainly, got it...but definitely looking forward to some possibilities.
But I'm in zero rush to do so.
We won't be going to a restaurant for quite awhile, not with an 84 year old (mom) in the house and a 64 year old (brother-in-law) with diabetes too.

But there will be those who do...most will get away with it...but some will not.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon May 04, 2020 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

And my suggestion on how to keep restaurants alive is gaining steam.....

Headline: Close the roads. Reclaim the parking lots. Put restaurants outside.

https://slate.com/business/2020/04/rest ... B0X5aPFNH4
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:56 pm

You literally can not get a table at most decent sit-down restaurants in Florida starting tomorrow. Stage 1, 25% capacity. Sold out.

And this is off-season.
You’re like a scab. When you have one you know you should leave it alone so the cut will heal faster, but sometimes you just can’t help yourself and have to scratch at it.

Please provide some links to your position on how Floridians are raring to dine out and have sold out restaurants. I just checked Jacksonville.com, Tampa.com, and Miami.com (re-directed to miamiherald.com), and found nothing on your proposed wild dash for dining tables. Of those web sites Jacksonville.com was the only one with a restaurant-specific story, and that was about how tentative restaurant owners are feeling with opening today.

I then google searched for topics like “Florida restaurant reservations”, Florida restaurant openings”, and “restaurants preparing for onslaught”. Nothing but articles explaining the rules for opening.

But I didn’t stop there. I went to Open Table. Plenty of available reservations at any of the few restaurants that are opening right away. And then I went to the high end that doesn’t use Open Table. Checked on the web sites of two of Florida’s most renowned restaurants - Joe’s Stone Crabs and Bern’s Steakhouse. Guess what? Take-out/pick-up only. THEY’RE NOT EVEN OPENING FOR DINE-IN!

So my guess is, once again, you’re full of it and you’re here just to stir things up. I’ll be happy to say I’m wrong if you can provide some back-up to your claim but like most times when your information is false and questioned you won’t respond. You’ll just lay in wait til you can throw some new BS up here so somebody digs at the scab.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:44 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:56 pm

And this is off-season.
You’re like a scab. When you have one you know you should leave it alone so the cut will heal faster, but sometimes you just can’t help yourself and have to scratch at it.

Please provide some links to your position on how Floridians are raring to dine out and have sold out restaurants. I just checked Jacksonville.com, Tampa.com, and Miami.com (re-directed to miamiherald.com), and found nothing on your proposed wild dash for dining tables. Of those web sites Jacksonville.com was the only one with a restaurant-specific story, and that was about how tentative restaurant owners are feeling with opening today.

I then google searched for topics like “Florida restaurant reservations”, Florida restaurant openings”, and “restaurants preparing for onslaught”. Nothing but articles explaining the rules for opening.

But I didn’t stop there. I went to Open Table. Plenty of available reservations at any of the few restaurants that are opening right away. And then I went to the high end that doesn’t use Open Table. Checked on the web sites of two of Florida’s most renowned restaurants - Joe’s Stone Crabs and Bern’s Steakhouse. Guess what? Take-out/pick-up only. THEY’RE NOT EVEN OPENING FOR DINE-IN!

So my guess is, once again, you’re full of it and you’re here just to stir things up. I’ll be happy to say I’m wrong if you can provide some back-up to your claim but like most times when your information is false and questioned you won’t respond. You’ll just lay in wait til you can throw some new BS up here so somebody digs at the scab.

Apparently this 'scab' occupies your head quite easily. :lol: It sounds like you aren't happy that the restaurants in the normal parts of Florida are re-opening?

I don't recall your moniker; another lib Dem here? Surprise.

My 'source' might be a tad better than your online search engines; yesterday, I called two restaurant owner buddies of mine for a lunch AND dinner reservation for today. In chatting with them, they said they are completely sold out today and that yesterday, Sunday, was a day for the staff to spend cleaning and prepping for grand re-opening todays. I'm happy to support them and their servers, because unlike some cough-cough Democratic friends of mine, I don't have alligator hands when it comes to checks and tips...

How about this: can I send you the way-too-predictable 'the restaurants are too crowded and spreading Coronavirus' stories sure to be posted tomorrow or the day after? I could even send them to you today if I knew anyone at the Herald, as the stories were written the day after Ron announced the plan to ease restrictions; all the Herald needs now are the doctored photos showing cheek to jowl bar scenes. In any event, the restaurants in the honest-vote parts of the state will do great, and everyone is happy and excited.

BTW, Florida has not re-opened the only Democratic run counties in the state for obvious reasons.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:04 am And my suggestion on how to keep restaurants alive is gaining steam.....

Headline: Close the roads. Reclaim the parking lots. Put restaurants outside.

https://slate.com/business/2020/04/rest ... B0X5aPFNH4
Except for when the flies figure out what is going on. The little buggers can drive us from our deck on a warm day.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:29 am (omitted)
My 'source' might be a tad better than your online search engines; yesterday, I called two restaurant owner buddies of mine for a lunch AND dinner reservation for today.
Sample size of two to make all those conclusions. Other sample size far larger.

Hmm. Which source of investigation has the smaller error in its result?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:00 pm

My comment was tongue in cheek.....Premiums to eat out is just another example of the “I got mine” mentality of the top 5%.
ahhh yes, certainly, got it...but definitely looking forward to some possibilities.
We won't be going to a restaurant for quite awhile, not with an 84 year old (mom) in the house and a 64 year old (brother-in-law) with diabetes too.

But there will be those who do...most will get away with it...but some will not.
By 'Premium'...I was implying generosity, to support local business owners getting the heads back above water.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:23 am

By 'Premium'...I was implying generosity, to support local business owners getting the heads back above water.
I'm with you on that.

It's just that the brutal truth is that we should not be doing any non-essential congregating anywhere for awhile, and when we begin to do any such, we need everyone, not just ourselves, observing appropriate distancing, masks, hygiene, etc. whether work or play.

But doing pick-up with your local favorite restaurants is a good way to support them in the meantime.

and when we finally do sit down at restaurants, tip your server well!
Typical Lax Dad

Yeah. When did premium become a synonym for tip? I got mine. I can afford to pay up. In my town, there are plenty of restaurants doing curbside, I make a point to buy out 2-3 times a week. Hadn’t event thought about my willingness to pay up for a more intimate sit down service. You should see the lines of people picking up food at the food pantry. I am sure they are willing to pay up for a bespoke dinner.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:58 am
My 'source' might be a tad better than your online search engines; yesterday, I called two restaurant owner buddies of mine for a lunch AND dinner reservation for today.

Hence the difference between a Democrat and a Republican, now. I trust my ears and eyes.

I find this story hilarious; my guess is it makes you rage.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/03/hundreds- ... ar-a-lago/
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:45 am

Yeah. When did premium become a synonym for tip? I got mine. I can afford to pay up. In my town, there are plenty of restaurants doing curbside, I make a point to buy out 2-3 times a week. Hadn’t event thought about my willingness to pay up for a more intimate sit down service. You should see the lines of people picking up food at the food pantry. I am sure they are willing to pay up for a bespoke dinner.
When the dictionary defined it : "a sum added to an ordinary price or charge." Your signature is also wrong, you seem incapable to recognize when people care. Keep up the #trolling.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:56 am

When the dictionary defined it : "a sum added to an ordinary price or charge." Your signature is also wrong, you seem incapable to recognize when people care. Keep up the #trolling.
You responded before I could edit... I was going to add that you may not have realized how your post came across versus how your really feel. So you have always called a tip a Premium? Honestly? When you are out for dinner with a group you say, "who can calculate the premium?" Come on dude, its ok to say "that is not how I meant it"...... you aren't giving up ground.......
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:50 am
RedFromMI wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:58 am

Hence the difference between a Democrat and a Republican, now. I trust my ears and eyes.

I find this story hilarious; my guess is it makes you rage.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/03/hundreds- ... ar-a-lago/
If someone wants to parade by Mar-a-Lago that is just fine with me. I don't think I will participate. Why should I rage? You obviously don't really know me (no matter what you think). To me it is a perfect example of the 1% showing their love for Trump.

You do realize that by calling up buddies of yours you not only have a small sample size - it is a biased sample - because your friends' businesses do not represent a random sampling. And if those friends share the same political bent as you (notice I say if) then maybe your outlook on the actual dangers of spreading/getting COVID-19 are different from the majority of the population. Are the wait staff going to be wearing masks?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:02 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:56 am

You responded before I could edit... I was going to add that you may not have realized how your post came across versus how your really feel. So you have always called a tip a Premium? Honestly? When you are out for dinner with a group you say, "who can calculate the premium?" Come on dude, its ok to say "that is not how I meant it"...... you aren't giving up ground.......
I meant it as it is defined in example #2 of the link I previously provided. You assumed tip. Gotta run....heading downtown.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”