The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:07 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:28 pm
a fan wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:03 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:31 am Cheering and making arguments against the USA....nice!
Forgetting all the stones hurled at Obama after the 09 bailouts, have we? ;)
Those were a result of self inflected white collar corrupt bankers, lenders, etc., and this, well....out of our hands, unless you buy into the intentional global reset "tin foil" theory. Now if these numbers were a resultant of this admin alone, w/o any pandemic...well, I'd be throwing stones right beside CU88, while tipsily falling backwards after each swig of rye. :D

Now if you were referring to Rushs' comment....that was a basis on political agenda. But I do get your point...#taats. ;)
My point is simply, partisans throw stones at their opponents.

The numbers, as you very well know, were horrible before the pandemic. Record deficit. And corporate tax receipts fell off a cliff.

We all know that Trump and Republicans are THRILLED because the virus bailouts give them full cover for the reckless spending & taxation policies of the past three years. So their defenders will claim the financial mess is all about the virus.

I'm not fooled by this nonsense.

But at the same time? Trump and Congress are doing the best they can to fix things for Americans in terms of bailouts. IMHO, as I have said, they have done a pretty lousy job.

But you can't point to a bill from Pelosi that wasn't passed by the Senate and say that "the Dems would do a better job". So you don't get to blame Trump, while not blaming Nancy and the Dems. They're all millionaires, and don't understand how economies work.
+1. I determined a few years ago that it’s basically ruling class, gentry and peasants classes like it’s always new, broadly speaking. Each political party has its subjects.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:07 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:28 pm
a fan wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:03 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:31 am Cheering and making arguments against the USA....nice!
Forgetting all the stones hurled at Obama after the 09 bailouts, have we? ;)
Those were a result of self inflected white collar corrupt bankers, lenders, etc., and this, well....out of our hands, unless you buy into the intentional global reset "tin foil" theory. Now if these numbers were a resultant of this admin alone, w/o any pandemic...well, I'd be throwing stones right beside CU88, while tipsily falling backwards after each swig of rye. :D

Now if you were referring to Rushs' comment....that was a basis on political agenda. But I do get your point...#taats. ;)
My point is simply, partisans throw stones at their opponents.

The numbers, as you very well know, were horrible before the pandemic. Record deficit. And corporate tax receipts fell off a cliff.

We all know that Trump and Republicans are THRILLED because the virus bailouts give them full cover for the reckless spending & taxation policies of the past three years. So their defenders will claim the financial mess is all about the virus.

I'm not fooled by this nonsense.

But at the same time? Trump and Congress are doing the best they can to fix things for Americans in terms of bailouts. IMHO, as I have said, they have done a pretty lousy job.

But you can't point to a bill from Pelosi that wasn't passed by the Senate and say that "the Dems would do a better job". So you don't get to blame Trump, while not blaming Nancy and the Dems. They're all millionaires, and don't understand how economies work.
No argument with most all of that....with the exception of the piece in red. The CV-19 bailout has a line in the sand which can be measured; speaking about the US finances. And, as you noted in blue, this bailout is prudently expected based on the pandemic... not the result of white collar crockedness.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:39 pm
No argument with most all of that....with the exception of the piece in red. The CV-19 bailout has a line in the sand which can be measured; speaking about the US finances. And, as you noted in blue, this bailout is prudently expected based on the pandemic... not the result of white collar crockedness.
Watch what happens. All claims about the failed tax cuts and the massive Trump spending bills will disappear....they'll blame all the deficit, debts, and tax shortfalls on the virus. That's all I mean by that comment. I didn't mean to imply that they're happy about the virus. Merely they're happy for the cover up of failed economic policies.

They'll stuff crooked stuff in the Coronavirus packages. Just as Bush did with his bailouts. And just as they did with Obama's. Welcome to DC. Nothing we can do about that.

But really---this virus is hitting everyone. So I have no problem with them taking care of big biz....so long as they help small biz.

And they haven't done that yet. And again, this is on Dems just as much as it is on R's.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:44 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:39 pm
Watch what happens. All claims about the failed tax cuts and the massive Trump spending bills will disappear....they'll blame all the deficit, debts, and tax shortfalls on the virus. That's all I mean by that comment. I didn't mean to imply that they're happy about the virus. Merely they're happy for the cover up of failed economic policies.

They'll stuff crooked stuff in the Coronavirus packages. Just as Bush did with his bailouts. And just as they did with Obama's. Welcome to DC. Nothing we can do about that.

But really---this virus is hitting everyone. So I have no problem with them taking care of big biz....so long as they help small biz.

And they haven't done that yet. And again, this is on Dems just as much as it is on R's.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Shocking that Democrats look down their noses on small business. Shocking, I tell you. :lol:

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/05/03 ... way-916418#
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:52 pm Shocking that Democrats look down their noses on small business. Shocking, I tell you. :lol:

Do you even read what you cite? She suggested that as a fraction of the economy the small business openings that are now occurring will have little impact.

How that gets to "Democrats" looking down their noses at small business is more than just a stretch.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:06 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:52 pm Shocking that Democrats look down their noses on small business. Shocking, I tell you. :lol:

Do you even read what you cite? She suggested that as a fraction of the economy the small business openings that are now occurring will have little impact.

How that gets to "Democrats" looking down their noses at small business is more than just a stretch.
Small businesses are people too....are you really siding with her that it is meaningless to open small business if it does not impact on a national scale?
~Livy

RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:47 pm

Small businesses are people too....are you really siding with her that it is meaningless to open small business if it does not impact on a national scale?
I did not comment on her in any way other than to characterize what she said. That does not mean I agree with her. My concern with PB is he uses one bit of information to make wildly unsupported conclusions regarding them. He trolls, and lacks logical rigor in his presentations.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:50 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:47 pm

I did not comment on her in any way other than to characterize what she said. That does not mean I agree with her. My concern with PB is he uses one bit of information to make wildly unsupported conclusions regarding them. He trolls, and lacks logical rigor in his presentations.
What an absolutely ridiculous article!

She's quite correct that the small amount of small businesses opening right now will NOT have a material impact upon the economy. It won't.

And yet the article tries to twist what she said into some sort of extreme position of no opening until zero virus cases, which she most definitely did not do. Quite contrary, she simply repeated what the Fauci/Birx position is on how and when some restrictions can be eased. Heaven forbid we follow their advice, advice that the committee endorsed!

Just awful reporting, a right wing hit job...for the stupid.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Just saw a report tonight that perhaps as many as 40% of the restaurants in the five boroughs of NYC will likely never re-open.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:24 pm Just saw a report tonight that perhaps as many as 40% of the restaurants in the five boroughs of NYC will likely never re-open.
Exactly why they should re open now.
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Kismet wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:24 pm Just saw a report tonight that perhaps as many as 40% of the restaurants in the five boroughs of NYC will likely never re-open.
Very likely.
It's going to take a long time for restaurant traffic to be back at prior levels.

In some ways that would be good, as eating meals made at home has been found to be healthier than behavior when eating out.

The tragedy though is that those most likely to not make it are the small ones, the ethnic and experimental eateries, not the big chains. It'll hurt diversity of choices.

That said, the restaurant business is incredibly entrepreneurial, with high turnover in successes and failures, even in the best of times.
So, as demand comes back, small players will open new concepts to address niche demand.

In the meantime, there's going to be a lot of great little restaurants that don't make it back.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:26 pm
No, there's little to no demand.
They are free to 'open' now. Pick-up, delivery, etc.
Those that adapted their business model to do so are surviving for now.
Though by the skin of their teeth.

But there's no way that people are going to be able to congregate densely for quite awhile. That's the brutal truth.

And the economics of dining with social distancing just don't add up. But some will try.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Maybe. But with reduced seating and potentially very low customer demand out of fear, might not make much of a difference to many.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:34 pm
Maybe. But with reduced seating and potentially very low customer demand out of fear, might not make much of a difference to many.
Fair enough. But you don’t know if you don’t try. I am willing to wager that people would be thrilled to get out and sit elsewhere at their favorite place. Likely even pay a premium to do so.

If even wager they’d have a waitlist to get it.
~Livy

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:33 pm
No, there's little to no demand.
They are free to 'open' now. Pick-up, delivery, etc.
Those that adapted their business model to do so are surviving for now.
Though by the skin of their teeth.

But there's no way that people are going to be able to congregate densely for quite awhile. That's the brutal truth.

And the economics of dining with social distancing just don't add up. But some will try.
That’s the attitude, just give up. :roll: You have absolutely no basis for your claim. Who says there is no demand....all those people going stir crazy in those apartments.

But your testimony to them....yes shut your doors it’s futile.
~Livy

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:38 pm
Fair enough. But you don’t know if you don’t try. I am willing to wager that people would be thrilled to get out and sit elsewhere at their favorite place. Likely even pay a premium to do so.

Perhaps. But you don't see many establishments owners speaking out one way of another in New York City as you see elsewhere. Most are not shrinking violets about issues of government intervention either. I think the situation has been especially bad in NYC and adjoining areas.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:43 pm

Perhaps. But you don't see many establishments owners speaking out one way of another in New York City as you see elsewhere. Most are not shrinking violets about issues of government intervention either. I think the situation has been especially bad in NYC and adjoining areas.
To me, they all (restaurant owners) need to get together and collectively get in sync as business owners. Present a concerted soft startup...where people can trust a safe space to get out. This also builds community strength.
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I can afford to pay a premium. I would be happy to pay up.
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:51 pm
Kismet wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:43 pm

To me, they all (restaurant owners) need to get together and collectively get in sync as business owners. Present a concerted soft startup...where people can trust a safe space to get out. This also builds community strength.
Certainly possible but being a native NYer I think there may be another reason for their seeming reticence and that things on the ground are quite bad and they are taking a wait and see attitude towards reopening. But that's my opinion only.

I think the folks really on edge are the landlords and banks as the rent/mortgage holiday/forgiveness movement is gaining traction as the politicians appear to be going back towards arguing about what to do going forward rather than actually addressing the problem in some fashion.

Return to “POLITICS”