All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

seacoaster

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by seacoaster »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:07 am Shockingly, Laurie Garrett is a member of the #resistance. :lol:

Let’s see, she hates:

1. Trump
2. Harvard architecture
3. The CDC (she’s smarter, obvi!!)
4. The way Birx and Fauci genuflect to Trump
5. America I guess
6. Workers who want to work and feed their families

We could go on. I have zero doubt she hates anyone who attends church, plays a sport, and loves the 4th of July.

Frank in his old age has become very catty himself. A shame because he used to possess a tad of nuance.

Does the NYT ever interview anyone with common sense, likes America, and isn’t prone to hysteria? Please post when they do! :lol:
This is in your top three or five stupidest, most ill-informed posts yet. And for you, that’s saying something. You don’t seem to actually read anything.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU88 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:49 am Known USA COVID19 cases:
•Feb 1: 8
•Mar 1: 89
•Apr 1: 212,692
•May 1: 1,103,461

USA COVID19 deaths:
•Feb 1: 0
•Mar 1: 1
•Apr 1: 6,394
•May 1: 65,753

USA still ranks 43rd worldwide in tests per million

maga
not doubting you, just would like to see the reference on the testing per million. Thanks!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

seacoaster wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:05 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:07 am Shockingly, Laurie Garrett is a member of the #resistance. :lol:

Let’s see, she hates:

1. Trump
2. Harvard architecture
3. The CDC (she’s smarter, obvi!!)
4. The way Birx and Fauci genuflect to Trump
5. America I guess
6. Workers who want to work and feed their families

We could go on. I have zero doubt she hates anyone who attends church, plays a sport, and loves the 4th of July.

Frank in his old age has become very catty himself. A shame because he used to possess a tad of nuance.

Does the NYT ever interview anyone with common sense, likes America, and isn’t prone to hysteria? Please post when they do! :lol:
This is in your top three or five stupidest, most ill-informed posts yet. And for you, that’s saying something. You don’t seem to actually read anything.
PB failed Reading Comprehension 101
Had to take it again, failed it again, took it again, failed it again and then they gave him a college degree anyway...
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:10 am

USA COVID19 deaths:

maga
not doubting you, just would like to see the reference on the testing per million. Thanks!
Can we use our heads here. How are 42 other nations testing more than we are?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:16 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:10 am

USA COVID19 deaths:

maga
Can we use our heads here. How are 42 other nations testing more than we are?
ok, I just went to the worldometers site and sorted on the far right side for tests per million and indeed that's where we currently rank.

Not many modern countries doing less per million. Most are better, as well as quite a few smaller countries.

China's # is probably a lack of a reporting to world bodies...they're doing lots of testing.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

I knew that we were miserable early on, out of the gate, but looks like on a percentage basis we're still well behind.

Countries like SK that got it right, early, are not needing to do a lot of testing now as they're able to target. We're not remotely in that state.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sun May 03, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Scott Gottleib M.D. former head of FDA reports

"Excluding the New York tristate area, national covid19 infections, hospitalizations, and deaths continue to increase. The national doubling time has risen to about 25 days, but the epidemic continues to slowly expand. And covid spread - although slower - remains persistent."

https://covidtracking.com/
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Kismet wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:30 am Scott Gottleib M.D. former head of FDA reports

"Excluding the New York tristate area, national covid19 infections, hospitalizations, and deaths continue to increase. The national doubling time has risen to about 25 days, but the epidemic continues to slowly expand. And covid spread - although slower - remains persistent."

Looks like we gotta sit in our homes forever then eh.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Kismet wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:30 am Scott Gottleib M.D. former head of FDA reports

Thank goodness it's been 'slower'.
But will it stay slower if the knuckleheads among us think it's ok to not wear masks, to do good hygiene, to stay 6ft away-not congregate in crowds?

Unless sunlight has a super effect on spread suppression, (assuming above knucklehead behavior) we could see a series of significant outbreaks throughout the summer.... and then back to overwhelming #'s Sept-Oct either way.

It's not inevitable to have big waves, but we really do need everyone to buy into changed practices for a good while.

Doesn't look like that's going to happen, though. Many will, so we'll see.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sun May 03, 2020 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:35 am

Nope, but big crowds, no masks, poor hygiene, and we're going to have big issues.

Is it really so hard to imagine changing our behaviors, getting back to most work and play, but not the same way, while the scientists work on 'cures'?

It's brutally crazy that this has become framed as a partisan issue, but that's entirely because of Trump's posture on it.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:41 am

Nope, but big crowds, no masks, poor hygiene, and we're going to have big issues.

Is it really so hard to imagine changing our behaviors, getting back to most work and play, but not the same way, while the scientists work on 'cures'?

It's brutally crazy that this has become framed as a partisan issue, but that's entirely because of Trump's posture on it.
Yep. I have no idea how science became a partisan issue. From climate change to vaccines and now Coronavirus. I thought we were supposed to become more enlightened not less as we move through time.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:48 am

Yep. I have no idea how science became a partisan issue. From climate change to vaccines and now Coronavirus. I thought we were supposed to become more enlightened not less as we move through time.

We are far more 'enlightened'!!! You have researchers, scientists, entrepreneurs, capitalism, and the United States to thank for that. Risk takers, that is.

Here, from one of your harebrained sources of information (god forbid I post from a right-leaning journo!):

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2016/1 ... an-poverty

Also, climate change is a hoax. Just ask Barrack Obama or Al Gore at their beach houses. :lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:03 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:48 am

We are far more 'enlightened'!!! You have researchers, scientists, entrepreneurs, capitalism, and the United States to thank for that. Risk takers, that is.

Here, from one of your harebrained sources of information (god forbid I post from a right-leaning journo!):

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2016/1 ... an-poverty

Also, climate change is a hoax. Just ask Barrack Obama or Al Gore at their beach houses. :lol:
troll.jpg
troll.jpg (13.17 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

[/quote]

Yep. I have no idea how science became a partisan issue.
[/quote]

Really. No idea.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

6ftstick wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:09 am
[/quote]
Really. No idea.
[/quote]

Stupidity on the part of the electorate?
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

"Typical Lax Dad"

Just half of it:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... urvey-poll
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:17 am
"Typical Lax Dad"

Just half of it:

I'll play.
How does that article explain science denial by members of either party?

Yes, a lot of people, on either side, live in bubbles that sift their news and understanding of those in other bubbles. True.
Whether more true of Ds than Rs is arguable, but the author makes one sort of cut at that question.

But that doesn't explain why there's so much science denial, being propounded through a partisan lens.

IMO, it definitely didn't begin with Trump, but certainly there's never been another POTUS in the past 100 years who has so denied facts and science. Really quite weirdly so.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Much more importantly MD, how did the CDC just reduce COVID deaths by 50%

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

I am genuinely curious about this. Yesterday it was 62,000; today 37,000.

Anyone explain?

PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS!!!!!!
Last edited by Peter Brown on Sun May 03, 2020 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:40 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:17 am
"Typical Lax Dad"

Just half of it:

I'll play.
How does that article explain science denial by members of either party?

Yes, a lot of people, on either side, live in bubbles that sift their news and understanding of those in other bubbles. True.
Whether more true of Ds than Rs is arguable, but the author makes one sort of cut at that question.

But that doesn't explain why there's so much science denial, being propounded through a partisan lens.

IMO, it definitely didn't begin with Trump, but certainly there's never been another POTUS in the past 100 years who has so denied facts and science. Really quite weirdly so.
Heres seven reasons. I left out the famine and over population bleating, A more active Hurricane season predictions for the last ten years. etc.....

1.In 1989, the Associated Press relayed a warning from a U.N. official:

"A senior U.N. environmental official says entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000."

2. The same U.N. official who predicted the loss of entire nations by the year 2000 also claimed: "the most conservative scientific estimate [is] that the Earth’s temperature will rise 1 to 7 degrees in the next 30 years.”

But looking back from 2019, the temperature rose about half of a degree Celsius since 1989, according to NASA.

3. In 2006, while promoting his movie “An Inconvenient Truth”, Al Gore said that humanity had only 10 years left before the world would reach a point of no return.

Gore’s movie also featured animations of water inundating Manhattan and Florida.

4. In 1982, U.N. official Mostafa Tolba, executive director of the UN Environment Program, warned:

“By the turn of the century, an environmental catastrophe will witness devastation as complete, as irreversible, as any nuclear holocaust.”

5. In 1970, Sen. Gaylord Nelson, D-Wisc., – often considered the “father of Earth Day” – cited the secretary of the Smithsonian, who “believes that in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct.”

6. "We have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we might have,” Stephen Schneider, a professor of Biology at Stanford University, said to Discover magazine in 1989. “Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest.”

7. in 1988 Timothy Wirth, a Democrat from Colorado said: "We've got to ... try to ride the global warming issue. Even if the theory of global warming is wrong ... we will be doing the right thing anyway in terms of economic policy and environmental policy."

But its gotta be Trump.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ok, very different answer from PB's.

What YOU are saying is that alarmists have been getting it wrong since Nostradamus...probably earlier.

Chicken Little dilemma.

I'm willing to engage on those grounds.
Indeed, predictions of the future need to be examined, and re-examined. Again and again.

But avoidance of Chicken Little needn't mean reverting to Ostrich behavior.

Like I said, this issue of the political partisanship, with Dems thinking they are allied with science and facts and R's thinking that scientists and experts have little or no value, did NOT start with Trump. But that divide has clearly heightened in the past 4 years.

And clearly there's never been a President in the modern age so prone to believe/promote blatant false hoods and conspiracy theories, and so prone to reject science and expertise, favoring his own self-annointed "genius".

In this crisis, that matters.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:05 pm ok, very different answer from PB's.

What YOU are saying is that alarmists have been getting it wrong since Nostradamus...probably earlier.

Chicken Little dilemma.

I'm willing to engage on those grounds.
Indeed, predictions of the future need to be examined, and re-examined. Again and again.

But avoidance of Chicken Little needn't mean reverting to Ostrich behavior.

Like I said, this issue of the political partisanship, with Dems thinking they are allied with science and facts and R's thinking that scientists and experts have little or no value, did NOT start with Trump. But that divide has clearly heightened in the past 4 years.

And clearly there's never been a President in the modern age so prone to believe/promote blatant false hoods and conspiracy theories, and so prone to reject science and expertise, favoring his own self-annointed "genius".

In this crisis, that matters.
But climate change supposedly is settled science. If you don't believe it you're a flat earther.

Return to “POLITICS”