All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:16 pm
calourie wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:06 pm (omitted)

Here is a video from March 30, which explains Dr. Atlas' herd immunity view on how to deal with Covid 19 which he has held since the appearance of the virus. Dr. Atlas appears at about the 35 minute mark. Lots to debate regarding his theories, a predominant issue for me being that the requirement of effective isolation of the truly vulnerable probably won't happen in that it implies a need to do so for 15,000,000+ here in the US when you consider the number of 50 and older, obese, immune deficient prospects et cetera. It is my view that the current trend that many states are taking in opening is effectively a choice to opt for the herd immunity route even without effective isolation of the vulnerable, and I think the results over the next 6 weeks or so up will fairly quickly point out the efficacy or not of Dr. Atlas' contentions. My guess is, as a country, we will slog along with a somewhat declining though still very disturbing number of Covid deaths, and the issue will get reconsidered if/when when that number passes the 100,000 threshold
You need a minimum of 60% infection to get to herd immunity, or even more. Not going to happen soon.

https://covid19-projections.com/ says the most likely date for 100,000 deaths is May 25. Real death total is already around that number when you figure in the excess deaths.

Same site says likely number of infected people in the US as of August 4, 2020 is around 18 million. Under 6%. No herd immunity or even close to it.

Summary numbers for USA:

Current Projection for US (Updated Daily - Last Updated: May 2):

Current Total: 65,059 deaths | Projected Total: 168,445 deaths by Aug 4, 2020 (Range: 98-289k)
Currently Infected: 0.6% | Total Infected: 2.9%

Oh - deaths are not declining in the US:

Screenshot_2020-05-02 United States Coronavirus 1,142,688 Cases and 66,620 Deaths - Worldometer.png
The kinds of things infectious disease professionals , epidemiologists, virologist etc would be looking at as a guide post. I am sure they will advise and made recommendations to public health and government officials, who will make decisions with feedback from those that facilitate commerce. There is no easy answer and certainly no quick answer. Social distancing and mitigation efforts have helped us stave off nationwide mass casualty situations at hospitals although some hospitals experienced it.

My sister is a nurse and the wave they ramped up for has yet to materialize at her hospital. Governor took actions early which seem to have helped. Time will tell. We need to make hay these next 3-4 months when we can. Ramping up our testing capabilities will be key in September.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by old salt »

calourie wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:06 pm
old salt wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:06 pm This doc has the answer. This is the way we're heading -- our govt leaders just aren't ready to sell it yet.

They haven't figured out how to protect the vulnerable yet, & every level of govt wants the others to manage & fund it.

...& before the politically partisan nay sayers dismiss him because he appeared on FNC, I first saw him today on CNN :
https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2020/05/0 ... ogress.cnn

...& his article in The Hill has been widely read & cited.
https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/ ... -isolation
https://www.c-span.org/video/?470769-1/ ... lth-policy
Hello OS. Hope you are doing well. Here is a video from March 30, which explains Dr. Atlas' herd immunity view on how to deal with Covid 19 which he has held since the appearance of the virus. Dr. Atlas appears at about the 35 minute mark. Lots to debate regarding his theories, a predominant issue for me being that the requirement of effective isolation of the truly vulnerable probably won't happen in that it implies a need to do so for 15,000,000+ here in the US when you consider the number of 50 and older, obese, immune deficient prospects et cetera. It is my view that the current trend that many states are taking in opening is effectively a choice to opt for the herd immunity route even without effective isolation of the vulnerable, and I think the results over the next 6 weeks or so up will fairly quickly point out the efficacy or not of Dr. Atlas' contentions. My guess is, as a country, we will slog along with a somewhat declining though still very disturbing number of Covid deaths, and the issue will get reconsidered if/when when that number passes the 100,000 threshold
Thanks calourie. As usual, I share your assessment. Tradeoffs will be made. How many of the 15 million at risk are able to self-isolate ? It will require some new ideas & govt outreach/intervention, assistance & new ideas, for those who are not. ...I'm not seeing that yet. Some states & jurisdictions will assist the vulnerable more effectively than others.

Are they rioting at the tennis courts & golf courses in your neighborhood yet ? Stay well.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Remember the old days when, even if your politics didn't agree, we could at least say that the President was a good man, a good husband, a good father?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1256607729151619073
Typical Lax Dad

calourie wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:06 pm
old salt wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:06 pm This doc has the answer. This is the way we're heading -- our govt leaders just aren't ready to sell it yet.

They haven't figured out how to protect the vulnerable yet, & every level of govt wants the others to manage & fund it.

...& before the politically partisan nay sayers dismiss him because he appeared on FNC, I first saw him today on CNN :
https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2020/05/0 ... ogress.cnn

...& his article in The Hill has been widely read & cited.
https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/ ... -isolation
https://www.c-span.org/video/?470769-1/ ... lth-policy
Hello OS. Hope you are doing well. Here is a video from March 30, which explains Dr. Atlas' herd immunity view on how to deal with Covid 19 which he has held since the appearance of the virus. Dr. Atlas appears at about the 35 minute mark. Lots to debate regarding his theories, a predominant issue for me being that the requirement of effective isolation of the truly vulnerable probably won't happen in that it implies a need to do so for 15,000,000+ here in the US when you consider the number of 50 and older, obese, immune deficient prospects et cetera. It is my view that the current trend that many states are taking in opening is effectively a choice to opt for the herd immunity route even without effective isolation of the vulnerable, and I think the results over the next 6 weeks or so up will fairly quickly point out the efficacy or not of Dr. Atlas' contentions. My guess is, as a country, we will slog along with a somewhat declining though still very disturbing number of Covid deaths, and the issue will get reconsidered if/when when that number passes the 100,000 threshold
I would love to figure out what % of that 15MM are employed. A long term disability plan would help. Companies and the government would gladly fund it via a public private partnership. Far less economic damage.
“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

6ftstick wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:43 pm Take a look at this video

Gavin Newsome may have problem on his hands.

https://www.toddstarnes.com/coronavirus ... Qs-sz0dQec
Looks like we’ve got a lot of volunteers for the vaccine trials. Round ‘em up.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

njbill wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:59 pm
6ftstick wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:43 pm Take a look at this video

Gavin Newsome may have problem on his hands.

https://www.toddstarnes.com/coronavirus ... Qs-sz0dQec
Looks like we’ve got a lot of volunteers for the vaccine trials. Round ‘em up.
You mean the fascist way of "Round Them Up"
MDlaxfan76

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:20 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:41 pm
6ftstick wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:57 am
DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:22 pm
Kismet wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:45 pm DOPUS administration just blocked Dr. Anthony Fauci from appearing before a House Committee.

New Pres Secretary declares in first press briefing in over a year that she will never lie to any of you. Her next sentence regarding the Muller report was a lie.

Then there's this -

"In all, at least 25 former officials who once worked for the Trump administration, campaign or transition team are now registered as lobbyists for clients with novel coronavirus needs, according to The Washington Post’s analysis of federal lobbying records and employment data compiled by ProPublica."
It was just a matter of time before Trump and his goons muzzled Dr. Fauci.

Dr. Fauci should testify anyway. If he chooses to abide by the Trump administration’s muzzling, then Dr. Fauci should resign.

I have not been a big fan of Dr. Fauci’s performance in this pandemic. This is a chance to prove what he cares about most ... his job and a seat at Trump’s trough ... or telling the truth to the American people.

DocBarrister :?
Just a matter of time....Jeezus

Its been three months and Faucis been on TV for hours. EVERYDAY. Press briefings, conferences, interviews, Other Q+A's. Free to say whatever hw wants
Under oath, questioned by Congress in an oversight capacity?

Actually, we don't hear from with the frequency you describe, and the 'in-depth' interviews that he sometimes does often reveal far more about what's happening and what to expect than what he says from the podium with Trump watching on.

Fauci has to walk a delicate balance between getting the American public to understand their role in this crisis and not pissing off Trump so much in the process that he gets shut down.

The question I have, as someone who thinks Trump is and idiot and a nut job, fully capable of pulling the plug on those who actually tell the truth, is whether it's really a good idea to force Fauci to be on the spot this way?

Can Congress restrain themselves from pushing Fauci to say out loud that Trump is a moron? I'm not confident about that.
You TRUST congressional oversight to do anything except be political. Where you been for the last 4 years?
Try reading what I wrote, 6ft.
I do not trust Congress to restrain themselves.
The temptation to embarrass Trump is super high...and that could mean losing Fauci from the role.

But yeah, congressional oversight is an important check on any administration...sometimes it goes to overly partisan, but even then it's an important check.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

and its overtly political when they agree to allow Fauci to attend the Senate committee hearing and not the House hearing.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

seacoaster wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:43 pm Remember the old days when, even if your politics didn't agree, we could at least say that the President was a good man, a good husband, a good father?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1256607729151619073
Wonderful, thank you for posting!
Typical Lax Dad

I believe France will start relaxing this week. I have friends in Lyon that were told two weeks ago that May 6 was the target.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/cor ... index.html
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

34 days of pandemic: Inside Trump’s desperate attempts to reopen America
Marc Short, chief of staff to Pence, repeatedly questioned the data being shared with Trump and said he did not believe the death toll would ever get to 60,000 and that the admin was overreacting. Day after day, Short pressed to reopen the entire country.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
The epidemiological models under review in the White House Situation Room in late March were bracing. In a best-case scenario, they showed the novel coronavirus was likely to kill between 100,000 and 240,000 Americans. President Trump was apprehensive about so much carnage on his watch, yet also impatient to reopen the economy — and he wanted data to justify doing so.

So the White House considered its own analysis. A small team led by Kevin Hassett — a former chairman of Trump’s Council of Economic Advisers with no background in infectious diseases — quietly built an econometric model to guide response operations.

Many White House aides interpreted the analysis as predicting that the daily death count would peak in mid-April before dropping off substantially, and that there would be far fewer fatalities than initially foreseen, according to six people briefed on it.

Although Hassett denied that he ever projected the number of dead, other senior administration officials said his presentations characterized the count as lower than commonly forecast — and that it was embraced inside the West Wing by the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and other powerful aides helping to oversee the government’s pandemic response. It affirmed their own skepticism about the severity of the virus and bolstered their case to shift the focus to the economy, which they firmly believed would determine whether Trump wins a second term.

For Trump — whose decision-making has been guided largely by his reelection prospects — the analysis, coupled with Hassett’s grim predictions of economic calamity, provided justification to pivot to where he preferred to be: cheering an economic revival rather than managing a catastrophic health crisis.

Trump directed his coronavirus task force to issue guidelines for reopening businesses, encouraged “LIBERATE” protests to apply pressure on governors and proclaimed that “the cure can’t be worse than the problem itself” — even as polls showed that Americans were far more concerned about their personal safety.

By the end of April — with more Americans dying in the month than in all of the Vietnam War — it became clear that the Hassett model was too good to be true. “A catastrophic miss,” as a former senior administration official briefed on the data described it. The president’s course would not be changed, however. Trump and Kushner began to declare a great victory against the virus, while urging America to start reopening businesses and schools.

“It’s going to go. It’s going to leave. It’s going to be gone. It’s going to be eradicated,” the president said Wednesday, hours after his son-in-law claimed the administration’s response had been “a great success story.”

The span of 34 days between March 29, when Trump agreed to extend strict social-distancing guidelines, and this past week, when he celebrated the reopening of some states as a harbinger of economic revival, tells a story of desperation and dysfunction.

So determined was Trump to extinguish the deadly virus that he repeatedly embraced fantasy cure-alls and tuned out both the reality that the first wave has yet to significantly recede and the possibility of a potentially worse second wave in the fall.

The president sought to obscure major problems by trying to recast them as triumphs. He repeatedly boasted, for instance, that the United States has conducted more tests than any other country, even though the total of 6.75 million is a fraction of the 2 million to 3 million tests per day that many experts say is needed to safely reopen.
There's more...

This administration is scary bad - they are so laser-focused on winning re-election that they are blinded to what actually needs to be done to get America back to work.
Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:31 pm
34 days of pandemic: Inside Trump’s desperate attempts to reopen America
Marc Short, chief of staff to Pence, repeatedly questioned the data being shared with Trump and said he did not believe the death toll would ever get to 60,000 and that the admin was overreacting. Day after day, Short pressed to reopen the entire country.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
The epidemiological models under review in the White House Situation Room in late March were bracing. In a best-case scenario, they showed the novel coronavirus was likely to kill between 100,000 and 240,000 Americans. President Trump was apprehensive about so much carnage on his watch, yet also impatient to reopen the economy — and he wanted data to justify doing so.

So the White House considered its own analysis. A small team led by Kevin Hassett — a former chairman of Trump’s Council of Economic Advisers with no background in infectious diseases — quietly built an econometric model to guide response operations.

Many White House aides interpreted the analysis as predicting that the daily death count would peak in mid-April before dropping off substantially, and that there would be far fewer fatalities than initially foreseen, according to six people briefed on it.

Although Hassett denied that he ever projected the number of dead, other senior administration officials said his presentations characterized the count as lower than commonly forecast — and that it was embraced inside the West Wing by the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and other powerful aides helping to oversee the government’s pandemic response. It affirmed their own skepticism about the severity of the virus and bolstered their case to shift the focus to the economy, which they firmly believed would determine whether Trump wins a second term.

For Trump — whose decision-making has been guided largely by his reelection prospects — the analysis, coupled with Hassett’s grim predictions of economic calamity, provided justification to pivot to where he preferred to be: cheering an economic revival rather than managing a catastrophic health crisis.

Trump directed his coronavirus task force to issue guidelines for reopening businesses, encouraged “LIBERATE” protests to apply pressure on governors and proclaimed that “the cure can’t be worse than the problem itself” — even as polls showed that Americans were far more concerned about their personal safety.

By the end of April — with more Americans dying in the month than in all of the Vietnam War — it became clear that the Hassett model was too good to be true. “A catastrophic miss,” as a former senior administration official briefed on the data described it. The president’s course would not be changed, however. Trump and Kushner began to declare a great victory against the virus, while urging America to start reopening businesses and schools.

“It’s going to go. It’s going to leave. It’s going to be gone. It’s going to be eradicated,” the president said Wednesday, hours after his son-in-law claimed the administration’s response had been “a great success story.”

The span of 34 days between March 29, when Trump agreed to extend strict social-distancing guidelines, and this past week, when he celebrated the reopening of some states as a harbinger of economic revival, tells a story of desperation and dysfunction.

So determined was Trump to extinguish the deadly virus that he repeatedly embraced fantasy cure-alls and tuned out both the reality that the first wave has yet to significantly recede and the possibility of a potentially worse second wave in the fall.

The president sought to obscure major problems by trying to recast them as triumphs. He repeatedly boasted, for instance, that the United States has conducted more tests than any other country, even though the total of 6.75 million is a fraction of the 2 million to 3 million tests per day that many experts say is needed to safely reopen.
There's more...

This administration is scary bad - they are so laser-focused on winning re-election that they are blinded to what actually needs to be done to get America back to work.
There is no interest whatsoever in what is good for the country. Like I said, if this were not an election year, we would have gotten a different response.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/02/us/face- ... index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/02/us/nyc-c ... index.html

They don’t come much dumber than your average American. 2 steps forward and 6 steps backwards.
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

US endures worst one-day death toll yet as states reopen

The U.S. saw its largest one-day death toll from the coronavirus pandemic to date on Thursday, as several states began to reopen parts of their economies.

According to data from the World Health Organization, 2,909 U.S. residents died on Thursday, shattering the previous record of 2,471 deaths that were reported on April 23.

State leaders around the country continued to see protests from demonstrators who want to reopen the economy and return to their jobs. Demonstrations took place in California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Tennessee and Washington on Friday. Many demonstrators believe that stay-at-home orders are impinging on their constitutional rights and freedoms.

Data compiled by the WHO is different from the data compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as the CDC hasn't historically reported daily deaths from the pandemic. “CDC does not know the exact number of COVID-19 illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths for a variety of reasons,” the government agency said.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... tes-reopen

As we have discussed and proven on the forum the government's actions are legal and have plenty of precedent.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Will this be the answer/solution that will stop or slow down gentrification and the dislocation it causes for many city dwellers?

Some people are now seeking to move out of the big cities because the plague has created so much chaos and forced them to stay at home. Suburban greener pastures would give them more space and presumably shorter waiting lines at stores.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:49 pm I believe France will start relaxing this week. I have friends in Lyon that were told two weeks ago that May 6 was the target.

Ask your friends to send you a package of Quenelles de Brochet au Sauce Nantua.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Long article (remember, you don't have to read it) about Laurie Garrett, who Bruni and others call a Cassandra of this crisis:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/opin ... e=Homepage

"I told Laurie Garrett that she might as well change her name to Cassandra. Everyone is calling her that anyway.

She and I were Zooming — that’s a verb now, right? — and she pulled out a 2017 book, “Warnings: Finding Cassandras to Stop Catastrophes.” It notes that Garrett, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, was prescient not only about the impact of H.I.V. but also about the emergence and global spread of more contagious pathogens.

“I’m a double Cassandra,” Garrett said.

She’s also prominently mentioned in a recent Vanity Fair article by David Ewing Duncan about “the Coronavirus Cassandras.”

Cassandra, of course, was the Greek prophetess doomed to issue unheeded warnings. What Garrett has been warning most direly about — in her 1994 best seller, “The Coming Plague,” and in subsequent books and speeches, including TED Talks — is a pandemic like the current one.

She saw it coming. So a big part of what I wanted to ask her about was what she sees coming next. Steady yourself. Her crystal ball is dark.

Despite the stock market’s swoon for it, remdesivir probably isn’t our ticket out, she told me. “It’s not curative,” she said, pointing out that the strongest claims so far are that it merely shortens the recovery of Covid-19 patients. “We need either a cure or a vaccine.”

But she can’t envision that vaccine anytime in the next year, while Covid-19 will remain a crisis much longer than that.

“I’ve been telling everybody that my event horizon is about 36 months, and that’s my best-case scenario,” she said.

“I’m quite certain that this is going to go in waves,” she added. “It won’t be a tsunami that comes across America all at once and then retreats all at once. It will be micro-waves that shoot up in Des Moines and then in New Orleans and then in Houston and so on, and it’s going to affect how people think about all kinds of things.”

They’ll re-evaluate the importance of travel. They’ll reassess their use of mass transit. They’ll revisit the need for face-to-face business meetings. They’ll reappraise having their kids go to college out of state.

So, I asked, is “back to normal,” a phrase that so many people cling to, a fantasy?

“This is history right in front of us,” Garrett said. “Did we go ‘back to normal’ after 9/11? No. We created a whole new normal. We securitized the United States. We turned into an antiterror state. And it affected everything. We couldn’t go into a building without showing ID and walking through a metal detector, and couldn’t get on airplanes the same way ever again. That’s what’s going to happen with this.”

Not the metal detectors, but a seismic shift in what we expect, in what we endure, in how we adapt.

Maybe in political engagement, too, Garrett said.

If America enters the next wave of coronavirus infections “with the wealthy having gotten somehow wealthier off this pandemic by hedging, by shorting, by doing all the nasty things that they do, and we come out of our rabbit holes and realize, ‘Oh, my God, it’s not just that everyone I love is unemployed or underemployed and can’t make their maintenance or their mortgage payments or their rent payments, but now all of a sudden those jerks that were flying around in private helicopters are now flying on private personal jets and they own an island that they go to and they don’t care whether or not our streets are safe,’ then I think we could have massive political disruption.”

“Just as we come out of our holes and see what 25 percent unemployment looks like,” she said, “we may also see what collective rage looks like.”

Garrett has been on my radar since the early 1990s, when she worked for Newsday and did some of the best reporting anywhere on AIDS. Her Pulitzer, in 1996, was for coverage of Ebola in Zaire. She has been a fellow at Harvard’s School of Public Health, was a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and consulted on the 2011 movie “Contagion.”

Her expertise, in other words, has long been in demand. But not like now.

Each morning when she opens her email, “there’s the Argentina request, Hong Kong request, Taiwan request, South Africa request, Morocco, Turkey,” she told me. “Not to mention all of the American requests.” It made me feel bad about taking more than an hour of her time on Monday. But not so bad that I didn’t cadge another 30 minutes on Thursday.

She said she wasn’t surprised that a coronavirus wrought this devastation, that China minimized what was going on or that the response in many places was sloppy and sluggish. She’s Cassandra, after all.

But there is one part of the story she couldn’t have predicted: that the paragon of sloppiness and sluggishness would be the United States.

“I never imagined that,” she said. “Ever.”

The highlights — or, rather, lowlights — include President Trump’s initial acceptance of the assurances by President Xi Jinping of China that all would be well, his scandalous complacency from late January through early March, his cheerleading for unproven treatments, his musings about cockamamie ones, his abdication of muscular federal guidance for the states and his failure, even now, to sketch out a detailed long-range strategy for containing the coronavirus.

Having long followed Garrett’s work, I can attest that it’s not driven by partisanship. She praised George W. Bush for fighting H.I.V. in Africa.

But she called Trump “the most incompetent, foolhardy buffoon imaginable.”

And she’s shocked that America isn’t in a position to lead the global response to this crisis, in part because science and scientists have been so degraded under Trump.

Referring to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta and its analogues abroad, she told me: “I’ve heard from every C.D.C. in the world — the European C.D.C., the African C.D.C., China C.D.C. — and they say, ‘Normally our first call is to Atlanta, but we ain’t hearing back.’ There’s nothing going on down there. They’ve gutted that place. They’ve gagged that place. I can’t get calls returned anymore. Nobody down there is feeling like it’s safe to talk. Have you even seen anything important and vital coming out of the C.D.C.?”

The problem, Garrett added, is bigger than Trump and older than his presidency. America has never been sufficiently invested in public health. The riches and renown go mostly to physicians who find new and better ways to treat heart disease, cancer and the like. The big political conversation is about individuals’ access to health care.

But what about the work to keep our air and water safe for everyone, to design policies and systems for quickly detecting outbreaks, containing them and protecting entire populations? Where are the rewards for the architects of that?

Garrett recounted her time at Harvard. “The medical school is all marble, with these grand columns,” she said. “The school of public health is this funky building, the ugliest possible architecture, with the ceilings falling in.”

“That’s America?” I asked.

“That’s America,” she said.

And what America needs most right now, she said, isn’t this drumbeat of testing, testing, testing, because there will never be enough superfast, super-reliable tests to determine on the spot who can safely enter a crowded workplace or venue, which is the scenario that some people seem to have in mind. America needs good information, from many rigorously designed studies, about the prevalence and deadliness of coronavirus infections in given subsets of people, so that governors and mayors can develop rules for social distancing and reopening that are sensible, sustainable and tailored to the situation at hand.

America needs a federal government that assertively promotes and helps to coordinate that, not one in which experts like Tony Fauci and Deborah Birx tiptoe around a president’s tender ego.

“I can sit here with you for three hours listing — boom, boom, boom — what good leadership would look like and how many more lives would be saved if we followed that path, and it’s just incredibly upsetting.” Garrett said. “I feel like I’m just coming out of maybe three weeks of being in a funk because of the profound disappointment that there’s not a whisper of it.”

Instead of that whisper she hears wailing: the sirens of ambulances carrying coronavirus patients to hospitals near her apartment in Brooklyn Heights, where she has been home alone, in lockdown, since early March. “If I don’t get hugged soon, I’m going to go bananas,” she told me. “I’m desperate to be hugged.”

Me, too. Especially after her omens."
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Shockingly, Laurie Garrett is a member of the #resistance. :lol:

Let’s see, she hates:

1. Trump
2. Harvard architecture
3. The CDC (she’s smarter, obvi!!)
4. The way Birx and Fauci genuflect to Trump
5. America I guess
6. Workers who want to work and feed their families

We could go on. I have zero doubt she hates anyone who attends church, plays a sport, and loves the 4th of July.

Frank in his old age has become very catty himself. A shame because he used to possess a tad of nuance.

Does the NYT ever interview anyone with common sense, likes America, and isn’t prone to hysteria? Please post when they do! :lol:
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Known USA COVID19 cases:
•Feb 1: 8
•Mar 1: 89
•Apr 1: 212,692
•May 1: 1,103,461

USA COVID19 deaths:
•Feb 1: 0
•Mar 1: 1
•Apr 1: 6,394
•May 1: 65,753

USA still ranks 43rd worldwide in tests per million

maga
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Typical Lax Dad

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:28 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:49 pm I believe France will start relaxing this week. I have friends in Lyon that were told two weeks ago that May 6 was the target.

Ask your friends to send you a package of Quenelles de Brochet au Sauce Nantua.
I plan on visiting again! My friends made some for me and my son back in the fall. But I will ask about these specifically! We had a great time. Old business school friends live there. Three sets, incredibly.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”