Cornell 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FMUBart

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by FMUBart »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:31 am another fan - another ""topic" that was raised...by Webster (rather than in response to a participant question) was whether Buzcek will play in the PLL , not to mention on Team USA. I know there are a numerous college assistant coaches who have played in the MLL or PLL, but I don't know of any head coaches. Buzcek was honest with his reply, though it was part hedge in that he linked his ability to do so with the hiring of a second paid assistant coach.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out - Buzcek is still in his prime playing years (was a PLL All-Star last season). Additionally, my guess is that he really would like to make Team USA. As many Cornell supporters may recall, he got screwed ROYALLY by Danowksi last go around who loaded the team with attackmen (including a number of Blue Devils), when Buzcek seemed a clear-cut selection.
Galloway did, maybe still does?
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:31 am another fan - another ""topic" that was raised...by Webster (rather than in response to a participant question) was whether Buzcek will play in the PLL , not to mention on Team USA. I know there are a numerous college assistant coaches who have played in the MLL or PLL, but I don't know of any head coaches. Buzcek was honest with his reply, though it was part hedge in that he linked his ability to do so with the hiring of a second paid assistant coach.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out - Buzcek is still in his prime playing years (was a PLL All-Star last season). Additionally, my guess is that he really would like to make Team USA. As many Cornell supporters may recall, he got screwed ROYALLY by Danowksi last go around who loaded the team with attackmen (including a number of Blue Devils), when Buzcek seemed a clear-cut selection.
John Galloway has been the HC at Jacksonville since 2016. He played on the 2018 National Team and has played pro in both the MLL and PLL during that time.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gobigred wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:24 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:57 pm
Gobigred wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:15 pm
Bigredlaxfan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:47 pm A Div. III athletic school to take away a young, talented, up coming coach from our great university is hard to believe. Cornell has no problem asking and raising money from it's successful alumni but it does not reward success for one of the best coaches in the country.
The nonsense here continues to amaze. Our beloved Cornell lacrosse program, with its three (should be four) national championships (the most recent 43 years ago), loses its coach to a program that has forty-three and has been seen forever as the most prominent name in the sport, and someone writes this.
what year was this post written?
what evidence do you have, a conversation with pm maybe? that leads you to believe that you are correct and others in the checkbook camp are dribbling utter nonsense?
The utter nonsense is downplaying the attraction of the job at Hopkins...and, in particular, demeaning the place as merely a Division III school. In lacrosse, Hop is the biggest name. Always has been. And lacrosse is everything there. See the number of pages in every Hopkins thread here, and do that while considering how few Hop alums there are compared with Cornell, Maryland, Virginia, etc.

The Hop lacrosse coach is head and shoulders above coaches in other sports there, unlike Cornell, where hockey, wrestling, among others, are nationally competitive. Hop will pay what it takes to get whom they want for their ONLY Division I sport, the one that defines the school's athletic program and means so much to alumni.
This is a little over the top, IMO, Gbr.
In lacrosse, Hop is the biggest name.
No. Used to be the biggest name.
See the number of pages in every Hopkins thread here
Yes, page after page of gluttonous feasting on their young, and page after page about how the place has gone all to hell and no one gives a schidt about the program anymore. I don't see the Hopkins threads as a good recruiting tool for young laxers, that's for sure. Oh yeah, forgot about the cat stuff, that's always been a priority in adding to the page count too. Hopkins threads have been a cesspool for years loaded with a whole lot more complaining than supporting their program. How's the attendance been down at Homewood? Hop aint what she used to be by a long shot.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

DMac wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:08 am Hop aint what she used to be...
Orange and Red aren't either. But we're both getting close. :mrgreen:
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Yes, you are correct about Galloway. It appears that he's been able to balance both balls.
Is the Cornell head coach position...at a highly ranked Ivy...with a recent history of HC turnover "a different kettle of fish?" I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong answer on this.
Comments?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DMac wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:08 amYes, page after page of gluttonous feasting on their young, and page after page about how the place has gone all to hell and no one gives a schidt about the program anymore
Don't forget Syracuse fans coming into the thread to fat shame the coaching staff on multiple occasions.

And fattylax's pathological ramblings that Hopkins needs to add Holy Cross and Providence to its schedule.

The gluttonous feasting is done by the same two or three posters. Unfortunately, they post a lot.
DMac wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:08 amHow's the attendance been down at Homewood?
Still one of the best in the country. And much better than Cornell's.

Multiple things can be true at the same time. Hop is not the same as it was in the glory days. But it's still clearly a coveted enough place to bring in a guy like PM. If it was as simple as Hop offered him more money, well, then, that alone says a lot. It still is, and will always be, the biggest sport on campus. Can't say the same about most programs.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ivyman wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:16 am
DMac wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:08 am Hop aint what she used to be...
Orange and Red aren't either. But we're both getting close. :mrgreen:
Yup, but neither of the fan bases on these threads tear their players, coaches, and administration apart like the Hop loyal do.
Was soooooo very much looking forward to the CU-SU match up this year. Two good teams and throw in the Teat-Mellen match up. Damn!!!!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:19 am Multiple things can be true at the same time. Hop is not the same as it was in the glory days. But it's still clearly a coveted enough place to bring in a guy like PM. If it was as simple as Hop offered him more money, well, then, that alone says a lot. It still is, and will always be, the biggest sport on campus. Can't say the same about most programs.
i'm not sure it says that much.
the ivy strives to offer athletic opportunities and still try to excel in their ponds without going overboard on emphasis.

there's no need to romanticize that to the nth degree, but by and large they've walked the walk ok.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:17 am Yes, you are correct about Galloway. It appears that he's been able to balance both balls.
Is the Cornell head coach position...at a highly ranked Ivy...with a recent history of HC turnover "a different kettle of fish?" I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong answer on this.
Comments?
I'll give my opinion. This is the opportunity of a lifetime for Buczek, albeit coming much sooner than he expected. I would think that he would and should devote 100% of his time to his new full time job. He has the chance to make this a career now and his playing days are numbered. Plus, he has some preconceptions and hurdles placed in his way that he has to overcome - 1) this is an interim job - a one year prove it; 2) the perception that he is too young and inexperienced. I think that to prove he is taking this seriously and grabbing the brass ring so to speak, he might decide to forego playing at this point. I view NCAA as the pinnacle of the sport and have been underwhelmed by and far far less interested in the MLL/PLL over the years. I also have not been enamored with the World Championships, from the rules to the pace of play. Sometimes you need to sacrifice wants and enjoyment for the long term, and Buczek has a potential long term life changing opportunity here that is larger than playing in some barnstorming PLL games...............
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I agree. And, how many PLL games are actually going to be played in the current pandemic?
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

for whatever this is worth- joe spallina coached MLL and coached NCAA D1.

of course- different gender, didnt play (but was there), and MLL not PLL. but offered up as it may help.

also being on LI or in the NE could factor in, say, vs being in Minnesota or Florida, for example.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

#4 SimCornell beats #1 SimPenn 14-8 in the first semifinal game of the SimIvyTournament:

https://lacrossereference.com/game-win- ... l_20200501
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

DMac wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:08 am
Gobigred wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:24 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:57 pm
Gobigred wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:15 pm
Bigredlaxfan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:47 pm A Div. III athletic school to take away a young, talented, up coming coach from our great university is hard to believe. Cornell has no problem asking and raising money from it's successful alumni but it does not reward success for one of the best coaches in the country.
The nonsense here continues to amaze. Our beloved Cornell lacrosse program, with its three (should be four) national championships (the most recent 43 years ago), loses its coach to a program that has forty-three and has been seen forever as the most prominent name in the sport, and someone writes this.
what year was this post written?
what evidence do you have, a conversation with pm maybe? that leads you to believe that you are correct and others in the checkbook camp are dribbling utter nonsense?
The utter nonsense is downplaying the attraction of the job at Hopkins...and, in particular, demeaning the place as merely a Division III school. In lacrosse, Hop is the biggest name. Always has been. And lacrosse is everything there. See the number of pages in every Hopkins thread here, and do that while considering how few Hop alums there are compared with Cornell, Maryland, Virginia, etc.

The Hop lacrosse coach is head and shoulders above coaches in other sports there, unlike Cornell, where hockey, wrestling, among others, are nationally competitive. Hop will pay what it takes to get whom they want for their ONLY Division I sport, the one that defines the school's athletic program and means so much to alumni.
This is a little over the top, IMO, Gbr.
In lacrosse, Hop is the biggest name.
No. Used to be the biggest name.
See the number of pages in every Hopkins thread here
Yes, page after page of gluttonous feasting on their young, and page after page about how the place has gone all to hell and no one gives a schidt about the program anymore. I don't see the Hopkins threads as a good recruiting tool for young laxers, that's for sure. Oh yeah, forgot about the cat stuff, that's always been a priority in adding to the page count too. Hopkins threads have been a cesspool for years loaded with a whole lot more complaining than supporting their program. How's the attendance been down at Homewood? Hop aint what she used to be by a long shot.
Sorry. You just don't want to understand. Wgdsr, too. I'm done.

Your last paragraph is an amusing grasping at straws.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

lol. i'm amazed at the people on this thread that overemphasize the allure of the head lacrosse coach job at johns hopkins.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

The JHU job was alluring enough to get Pete Milliman, who had no prior connections to JHU, to leave Cornell. That fact should speak for itself. I see no point in trashing JHU or its fans or its historical record of success in DI lacrosse.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

DMac wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:24 am Two good teams and throw in the Teat-Mellen match up. Damn!!!!
Even better would be to see what your defense could do with the other guys. Who takes our Italians: Piatelli, Telesco, Liciardi, Lombardi, and...Longo? The Roman Red Army.

We'd have to come up with something for our D tho. Adler was playing well, Salvatore too, but I don't know about our shorties.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:53 pm The JHU job was alluring enough to get Pete Milliman, who had no prior connections to JHU, to leave Cornell. That fact should speak for itself. I see no point in trashing JHU or its fans or its historical record of success in DI lacrosse.
nm
Last edited by tech37 on Fri May 01, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:53 pm The JHU job was alluring enough to get Pete Milliman, who had no prior connections to JHU, to leave Cornell. That fact should speak for itself. I see no point in trashing JHU or its fans or its historical record of success in DI lacrosse.
i agree hop shouldn't have to be collateral damage here. they made a great hire and kudos to them.

it'd also be cool if posters could simply join an otherwise innocuous conversation without lobbing the ignorant rube grenade. most here typically enjoy discussing and debating different viewpoints and speculation.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Some levity for the Cornell Lax thread...
During the Mens' Lacrosse Town Hall last week, John Webster asked Jonathan Donville where he'd like to play a neutral site game next season. In light of the location of Cornell's first five games in 2020, Donville had a great answer - Schoellkopf field.
The question and answer got me thinking of neutral site locations where Cornell has played during the last ten years or so.

Here's a funny anecdote - I can't help but wonder if any other fanlax participant listened to the game...
Cornell played Denver in March 2008 in a Dallas suburb (Cornell 20 Denver 7).
The radio announcer was a local guy who knew NOTHING about lacrosse. Nor was he particularly well prepared. Sounded like he may have had a few too many to drink. He kept using outlandish descriptions to describe Cornell shots/goals as well as really corny humor. For example, one of his jokes has stayed with me - after Kyle Doctor scored a goal, he said words to the effect, "if Doctor becomes a doctor, he will be Dr. Doctor." His humor was so bad, my son and I were cracking up listening to the game.

Note - this game is not to be confused with a game I refer to as the "ice bowl." It was played at SMU's football field in Dallas. There was a snow/ice storm that morning. Cornell drubbed an Albany team which turned things around as the season went on and made a deep NCAA run. Cornell got the last flight out of Dallas; Albany was unable to get a flight and took a two day, non-stop bus ride back to Albany. Scott Marr attributed the team's turnaround to player-bonding from the bus ordeal.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

SimCornell leads SimYale 15-9 early in the 4th quarter of the SimILT championship.

SimPetrakis holding his own against SimTDIerlan, winning 11 of 26 faceoffs.

VRR: I did not hear the 2008 radio broadcast, but I certainly remember the Ice Bowl ...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”