Cornell 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

damn, today would've been PU/CU. what a game that would've been.

wondering how rare this is- two kids in the same recruiting/graduating class on the same team, one becomes the other's boss.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

cltlax wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:30 pm
FMUBart wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:07 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:18 pm
CU88 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:14 pm
Chousnake wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:02 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:49 pmJeffCincy ?
That's him. Thanks. He was a big Buczek fan and a family friend I believe. I enjoyed his posts. He immediately came to my mind yesterday.
+1 Yes, he would be very proud!
+1. The Queen City’s finest. Buczek came out to LI to play some club ball against better competition. LI Express told him there was a spot on the B team. Buczek quickly found his way to the A team. ( that’s the legend, anyway)
Many so-called "Queen City" places; Cincy in this case ;)
I believe they meant to say Porkopolis...
My recollection is that Jeff Cincy was a lacrosse coach at St Xavier's in Cincinnati when Connor Buczek was there.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU77 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:31 pm As a very vocal critic of AN for hanging the interim tag on PM, I agree that it likely was not the difference maker in PM going to Hop. For one thing it's very likely that PM's getting a big salary boost. And top coaching talent very often flows out of the Ivys (you know the names).

In 40 years, only three men have won the national championship at an Ivy: Moran, Tierney, Shay. It's likely not a coincidence that all three had long-term commitments to their Ivy schools.
i posted somewhere that i'd be shocked if milliman took the gig and was likely using the process for leverage.
in hindsight, it's not surprising he wasn't kept at all costs given the history of coaching change at cornell lax. i thought that'd be one driver for keeping status quo, but guess not.

surprised shafer and koll are still around. although i'm sure there's a story there.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thought kind of the same. Seemed to be a pretty nice situation for the Millimans, to say nothing of the material Mr. Milliman had to work with. Would have figured Cornell would make it attractive enough for him to stay, but I might look at the situation a whole lot differently than Andy Noel does (that one's for you, CU77).
Everything is uphill in Ithaca, both ways, and big hills and it can be mighty chilly at Schoellkopf deep into the season. Guess the Millimans are going to trade all that in for milder weather and crab bisque and flounder rather than bullhead dinners and salt potatoes. Big move for the young couple, and Peter should be used to having an AD who doesn't doesn't give a schidt about the program (learned that over at the Hop thread).
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:32 pm i posted somewhere that i'd be shocked if milliman took the gig and was likely using the process for leverage.
in hindsight, it's not surprising he wasn't kept at all costs given the history of coaching change at cornell lax. i thought that'd be one driver for keeping status quo, but guess not.

surprised shafer and koll are still around. although i'm sure there's a story there.
I'm sure Cornell puts limits on what AD Noel can do to keep or hire a coach. He may have been blindsided like everyone else and it was a done deal by the time he knew. I don't know. Milliman's relation with Noel may have had nothing to do with it. Some coaches are Cornell Big Red through and through and I was hoping Milliman could become one. I guess not. I think Ben DeLuca would have been. Richie Moran, Mike Schafer, Rob Koll seem to be.
Last edited by Trumansburger on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

I'm amazed at the number of people who don't seem to appreciate the allure of the head lacrosse coach job at John's Hopkins.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Trumansburger wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:59 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:32 pm i posted somewhere that i'd be shocked if milliman took the gig and was likely using the process for leverage.

I'm sure Cornell puts limits on what AD Noel can do to keep or hire a coach. He may have been blindsided like everyone else and it was a done deal by the time he knew. I don't know. Milliman's relation with Noel may have had nothing to do with it. Some coaches are Cornell Big Red through and through and I was hoping Milliman could become one. I guess not. I think Ben DeLuca would have been. Richie Moran, Mike Schafer, Rob Koll seem to be.
I'm guessing that Andy Noel's relationship with the wrestling program and Coach Koll is particularly special. Noel is a former coach of the wrestling team. At the time it was built, I believe the Friedman Center was state of the art and the only stand alone wrestling facility in the country-- and the lead donor S. Friedman was formerly the Chairman of Goldman Sachs.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Gobigred wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:57 am I'm amazed at the number of people who don't seem to appreciate the allure of the head lacrosse coach job at John's Hopkins.
yeah. either that or people have a different guess as to the real differentiator.
DMac

Post by DMac »

What he said.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

IL interview with current (definitely not "interim"!) HC CB:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tion/56361

EDIT: already posted by COTB in the "coach search" thread.

Is it time to start Cornell 2021 ???
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:25 pmIs it time to start Cornell 2021 ???
It was started March 21st.
Bigredlaxfan

Post by Bigredlaxfan »

I just heard that PM is leaving Cornell. I am so embarassed the way our administration has been handling our lacrosse program. After eight years of turmoil, two coaching changes and loosing seasons finally we had a coach who put Cornell lacrosse back to it's winning ways. We were #2 in the country! Also PM was a terrific requiter bringing in talent that we have not seen in years.
A Div. III athletic school to take away a young, talented, up coming coach from our great university is hard to believe. Cornell has no problem asking and raising money from it's successful alumni but it does not reward success for one of the best coaches in the country. Not a good message about the real world for student athletes. Congratulations to Conner and Jordan.....they have a big task ahead of them. It will be a good measuring stick if they can keep all of the in-coming 2020 freshmen class at Cornell. Good luck guys!
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Bigredlaxfan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:47 pm A Div. III athletic school to take away a young, talented, up coming coach from our great university is hard to believe. Cornell has no problem asking and raising money from it's successful alumni but it does not reward success for one of the best coaches in the country.
The nonsense here continues to amaze. Our beloved Cornell lacrosse program, with its three (should be four) national championships (the most recent 43 years ago), loses its coach to a program that has forty-three and has been seen forever as the most prominent name in the sport, and someone writes this.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Gobigred wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:15 pm
Bigredlaxfan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:47 pm A Div. III athletic school to take away a young, talented, up coming coach from our great university is hard to believe. Cornell has no problem asking and raising money from it's successful alumni but it does not reward success for one of the best coaches in the country.
The nonsense here continues to amaze. Our beloved Cornell lacrosse program, with its three (should be four) national championships (the most recent 43 years ago), loses its coach to a program that has forty-three and has been seen forever as the most prominent name in the sport, and someone writes this.
what year was this post written?
what evidence do you have, a conversation with pm maybe? that leads you to believe that you are correct and others in the checkbook camp are dribbling utter nonsense?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

There was just now a rousing and inspiring Town Hall meeting on Zoom. There was a strong statement from the AD that everything within reason was done to keep Coach Milliman. There were really great presentations from Coach Buczek and Coach Stevens, as well as game film of successful plays. Included was a great analysis of Jeff Teat's tying goal versus PU. Players also presented their views of the program. There is no question that the program is in good hands with very able coaches and very strong alumni support.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

great to hear. age is a number. hope it works out and coaches with their ties to cornell might be what the doctor ordered for a long run without getting pulled away.
lacrosse is better with a strong big red.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Some other points from the excellent Town Hall:

All recruits in the incoming and following year classes are still committed.

All construction projects like the indoor practice facility are delayed a year. A few spectacular lead donations have raised a good chunk of the required funds. AD opined that the extra year will allow time to raise the rest, as well as settle on the site. Facility was described as large enough for mens and womens games, with extra room on sides and behind goals-- i.e. a big building

Approval has been received to hire a third coach. No mention of where Ciferri stands in connection with that search.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Two full fields is what I heard
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:57 pm
Gobigred wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:15 pm
what year was this post written?
what evidence do you have, a conversation with pm maybe? that leads you to believe that you are correct and others in the checkbook camp are dribbling utter nonsense?
The utter nonsense is downplaying the attraction of the job at Hopkins...and, in particular, demeaning the place as merely a Division III school. In lacrosse, Hop is the biggest name. Always has been. And lacrosse is everything there. See the number of pages in every Hopkins thread here, and do that while considering how few Hop alums there are compared with Cornell, Maryland, Virginia, etc.

The Hop lacrosse coach is head and shoulders above coaches in other sports there, unlike Cornell, where hockey, wrestling, among others, are nationally competitive. Hop will pay what it takes to get whom they want for their ONLY Division I sport, the one that defines the school's athletic program and means so much to alumni.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

another fan - another ""topic" that was raised...by Webster (rather than in response to a participant question) was whether Buzcek will play in the PLL , not to mention on Team USA. I know there are a numerous college assistant coaches who have played in the MLL or PLL, but I don't know of any head coaches. Buzcek was honest with his reply, though it was part hedge in that he linked his ability to do so with the hiring of a second paid assistant coach.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out - Buzcek is still in his prime playing years (was a PLL All-Star last season). Additionally, my guess is that he really would like to make Team USA. As many Cornell supporters may recall, he got screwed ROYALLY by Danowksi last go around who loaded the team with attackmen (including a number of Blue Devils), when Buzcek seemed a clear-cut selection.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”