Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
viper

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by viper »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:34 am
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:17 am
nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:54 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:23 am Koesterer checks a lot of boxes but I wonder if he'd even consider it—he played for Petro for four years and then coached with him for a few more. He likely owes a lot to the guy. Out of a sense of loyalty he might not want to be a part of the new regime. Though I suppose you're going to run into that issue with pretty much any of the alums under consideration for assistant positions. I don't hate the idea of getting Tinney on staff as the volunteer—he has knowledge of multiple areas of the field, can help with the middies and wings, and would generally be a positive presence on the sideline for those guys. Maybe his energy/swagger would rub off on them. It's not a coincidence that the two best seasons in recent memory (2015 and 2018) were two of the three years Tinney played.
I was being a little facetious in regards to Stanwick and Galloway but yeah I do think Tinney would be interesting as a volunteer assistant. I believe he is involved in coaching HS (Calvert Hall?) so maybe has aspirations to make his way up the college coaching ranks? VAC at JHU is as good a place to start as any.
No to Tinney, yes to Stanwick and Koesterer. 2016 was a wreck. Petro out with back issues and Tinney suspended; he wasn't there for his team when they needed him most. He is undeniably an incredible player to watch, but that season leaves a mark. Stanwick is exactly what this team needs, no question. Given all the sisters he has, and Sheehan being one of the best players ever, it's pretty easy to see why he would take the Gait path and coach the women's game, but he's a Homewood local and exactly what this team needs.

Are there other men's coaches who previously coached women at the college level? I'd be curious to see how the women's game could have an influence.
I do think Tinney has learned from it and realizes he made a mistake. He says as much in his tweet to Petro. I think VAC would be a perfect place to prove himself and in some way make amends. That being said, I'm a nobody with irrelevant thoughts on a lacrosse forum. I am confident Milliman is capable of and will make excellent choices without our help. :)
If you do bring in Tinney as a VAC, then you better make sure the O and/or D coach can also handle faceoffs and goalkeeping. Another check box for Koesterer.....
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

viper wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:49 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:23 am Koesterer checks a lot of boxes but I wonder if he'd even consider it—he played for Petro for four years and then coached with him for a few more. He likely owes a lot to the guy. Out of a sense of loyalty he might not want to be a part of the new regime. Though I suppose you're going to run into that issue with pretty much any of the alums under consideration for assistant positions. I don't hate the idea of getting Tinney on staff as the volunteer—he has knowledge of multiple areas of the field, can help with the middies and wings, and would generally be a positive presence on the sideline for those guys. Maybe his energy/swagger would rub off on them. It's not a coincidence that the two best seasons in recent memory (2015 and 2018) were two of the three years Tinney played.
I think this whole thing about not taking a job because of a previous relationship with Petro is hogwash. If Petro was still there and they were brought in to replace him it's one thing. He's already gone and there is no longer ANY connection to the man. Also, if what many here have been saying about Petro the man is true, then i am sure he would give Koesterer his blessing to take the job if it was a good opportunity.
Completely agree. I think Coach Pietramala (and Coaches Benson, Dwan, and Quinn) would be among the first to encourage their former charges to pursue any opportunity with Coach Milliman. They have been criticized extensively in recent years, but they have never been accused of being petty or resentful.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

when do you guys think you'll be discussing asst candidates from the other 70+ schools?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I hadn't followed Koesterer's statistics that closely - his bio on the uMBC web-site is impressive and worthy of consideration - especially if you buy into the alumni thing. I agree with Viper - if the DC coordinator position - and the Hopkins cache for attracting more revenue to summer camps - allows for more money then I do not think Petro would have a problem at all with a former player/volunteer assistant coach taking a coordinator position - nor should he. I thought Scott Marr - if under consideration - might think twice about replacing one of his very best friends after said friend was removed but this is a completely different story.

Uh Doc - you don't know what you're talking about - yes they have been accused of being petty and resentful but it probably does not apply in this situation. Milliman - in reality - while I am sure he will stay on the high side and say all the great things if asked about Petro and his staff - couldn't care less what Benson and Dwan think of his hires.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:04 pm when do you guys think you'll be discussing asst candidates from the other 70+ schools?
What other schools?

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:04 pm when do you guys think you'll be discussing asst candidates from the other 70+ schools?
viewtopic.php?p=142393#p142393
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:41 pm
viewtopic.php?p=142393#p142393
thanks. i knew there was a post on one of these threads somewhere, but i couldn't remember where.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

viper wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:49 pm
I think this whole thing about not taking a job because of a previous relationship with Petro is hogwash. If Petro was still there and they were brought in to replace him it's one thing. He's already gone and there is no longer ANY connection to the man. Also, if what many here have been saying about Petro the man is true, then i am sure he would give Koesterer his blessing to take the job if it was a good opportunity.
+1

The entire concept is total BS.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:30 pm
Hail to the Victors wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:34 pm JB to PM: "No one who has openly supported the old regime."
If that wasn't sarcasm, then you guys really have no idea how ADs function ...
I know to whom they report.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Then you have no idea how university presidents function.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:19 am
Hail to the Victors wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:34 pm JB to PM: "No one who has openly supported the old regime."
If you are right, I would think that’s quite petty and disappointing.
Besides, a guy like Tinney would have zero juice to cause any issues. He would be best served to lower his head and just do work. Just sayin
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Why are academic fights so bitter?

Because the stakes are so small.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Boy, if you want to see a whole new clusterf@ck developing, look at what’s going on at UVa and Charlottesville now:

https://www.cavalierdaily.com/article/2 ... tine-walls

First they came for the statues... now they are going after TJ’s walls.

Trivia Question: Why did I bring the serpentine walls up here on this Hopkins thread?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:19 am
As Doc likes to say, as far as RD goes, he has bigger fish to fry. All he needs is an adequate Athletic Department.

An adequate Athletic Department would be invisible to him. No big drain on the budget. No alumni badgering him about losses. No professors complaining about ill-prepared student-athletes. No students complaining about on-campus behavior. No modern equivalent of Mary Pat Clark complaining about off-campus behavior.

A good athletic department is not just adequate but also runs D-3 teams with a higher percentage of full-tuition-paying students than average, and generates good clippings for the Alumni magazine, with at least anecdotal evidence that some alumni giving is fueled by athletics.

A great athletic department returns real cash back to the university general funds. The problem with one of these is that it creates an a alternative power center, maybe one that no longer needs to meet the adequate standard.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
molo

Post by molo »

Spent the better part of 67-71 and 72-74 in Charlottesville and never knew this about the serpentine walls. Glad it has come to light.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:17 pm Boy, if you want to see a whole new clusterf@ck developing, look at what’s going on at UVa and Charlottesville now:

Trivia Question: Why did I bring the serpentine walls up here on this Hopkins thread?
I can't answer that question, but can you answer the question, why are they serpentine?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:17 pm Boy, if you want to see a whole new clusterf@ck developing, look at what’s going on at UVa and Charlottesville now:

Easy ... to contrast the University of Virginia, founded by a slave owner ... with The Johns Hopkins University, founded by an abolitionist.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Drcthru wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:23 pm

I can't answer that question, but can you answer the question, why are they serpentine?
it says it in the article, but tj did it to conserve bricks. one brick thick serpentined uses fewer bricks than 2 brick thick walls straight. still standing, too, maybe stronger?

as far as why serpentine belongs on a hop thread... that's easy, hopkins is tijata.
molo

Post by molo »

Can't disagree with Doc on that count. Owning slaves--regardless of when and where--was and is an act of indefensible barbarism. There are some issues that have just two sides--the right side and the wrong side--and on the issue of slavery there was not and is not any ambiguity.
Justafan!!

Post by Justafan!! »

All I read here is speculation. Let the new coach develop the team in his view. I'd bet again, the final product will not be what you all think. But, I'm also willing to wager, the results will impress you all. And for all the BS bantered about, another trophy will will be the best statement!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”