Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by nrthcrosslax »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:06 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:03 pm Peter Milliman HC
Steele Stanwick OC
John Galloway DC
Joel Tinney VAC

Minds blown... 8-) 8-) 8-)
There’s a better chance of Bobby Benson returning as OC than Steele Stanwick getting the assignment
So you saying there’s a chance with Galloway? 8-)
Bluejayfan2

Post by Bluejayfan2 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:47 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:32 pm I have no inside information whatsoever, but I suspect Teat is probably done with college lacrosse either way. He already did a PG year in high school. And being a phenomenal indoor player as well, I bet he's eager to go play in the NLL, in addition to the PLL.

I think the focus should be on Morrill, who we know is already in the transfer portal, and has a deep connection to Hopkins. Now with a coach in the building, who likely knows Morrill pretty well from coaching in the Ivy League, we should in theory be one of the favorites to land him. Georgetown also makes a lot of sense as his brother went there and played for Kevin Warne.
Why either/or? Just bring in both Morrill and Teat. ;)

I’m sure Teat is hungry for a national championship. As for Morrill ... c’mon ... the possibility of winning a national championship with Johns Hopkins has to be very tempting.

As for defense and goalie ... how about a first step of hiring John Galloway as the Associate Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator?

DocBarrister 8-)
Doc are you actually Daniel Synder the infamous NFL Owner and Fantasy League Owner extraordinaire who buys Free Agents High and sells them low. Let Milliman build to his design and we will see if the model works. Quick fixes aren't the answer now.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Bluejayfan2 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:53 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:47 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:32 pm I have no inside information whatsoever, but I suspect Teat is probably done with college lacrosse either way. He already did a PG year in high school. And being a phenomenal indoor player as well, I bet he's eager to go play in the NLL, in addition to the PLL.

I think the focus should be on Morrill, who we know is already in the transfer portal, and has a deep connection to Hopkins. Now with a coach in the building, who likely knows Morrill pretty well from coaching in the Ivy League, we should in theory be one of the favorites to land him. Georgetown also makes a lot of sense as his brother went there and played for Kevin Warne.
Why either/or? Just bring in both Morrill and Teat. ;)

I’m sure Teat is hungry for a national championship. As for Morrill ... c’mon ... the possibility of winning a national championship with Johns Hopkins has to be very tempting.

As for defense and goalie ... how about a first step of hiring John Galloway as the Associate Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator?

DocBarrister 8-)
Doc are you actually Daniel Synder the infamous NFL Owner and Fantasy League Owner extraordinaire who buys Free Agents High and sells them low. Let Milliman build to his design and we will see if the model works. Quick fixes aren't the answer now.
That’s it ... I’m trading you to a Syracuse forum for a pickle and some potato chips to be named later.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:03 pm Peter Milliman HC
Steele Stanwick OC
John Galloway DC
Joel Tinney VAC

Minds blown... 8-) 8-) 8-)
Jamison Koesterer DC
Steve Boyle OC

That could help with the connection with the alums, and both are good coaches.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:58 pm
I would be lying if I said I didn't want to know about the process and who else was really in the running - did they get turned down by one or more etc. but that is what it is.
Here's the process, the job was wired.
Most advertised positions are actually wired.
However, not to be critical, it's actually smart to hire someone you know. Someone could do great in an interview, but be a royal pain to work with. Most organizations are scared to death to take a chance on people they don't know for important positions.
If you know that you can work well with someone the chances for success are higher.

What about Koesterer as an Assistant Coach? He's the D coordinator at UMBC. He could also work with the face off men. The face offs were great when he was here as a volunteer. Yes, I realize BD was in that role, but with Koesterer it could actually work. He actually faced-off in college.
viper

Post by viper »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:13 am
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:58 pm
I would be lying if I said I didn't want to know about the process and who else was really in the running - did they get turned down by one or more etc. but that is what it is.
Most advertised positions are actually wired.
However, not to be critical, it's actually smart to hire someone you know. Someone could do great in an interview, but be a royal pain to work with. Most organizations are scared to death to take a chance on people they don't know for important positions.
If you know that you can work well with someone the chances for success are higher.

What about Koesterer as an Assistant Coach? He's the D coordinator at UMBC. He could also work with the face off men. The face offs were great when he was here as a volunteer. Yes, I realize BD was in that role, but with Koesterer it could actually work. He actually faced-off in college.
I am all about Koesterer as our D coordinator. His track record at JHU, OSU and UMBC is excellent and I don't know that there are any better candidates out there. The fact that he's an alum is just a bonus in this case. On the offensive side I think there are many more choices. I can't imagine hiring someone with no previous D1 experience when there are so many options who have it, however I will say that whoever said Benson has a better chance of coming back than Stanwick getting the job is nuts. My pet lab has a better chance of getting that job before Benson were to come back.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Koesterer checks a lot of boxes but I wonder if he'd even consider it—he played for Petro for four years and then coached with him for a few more. He likely owes a lot to the guy. Out of a sense of loyalty he might not want to be a part of the new regime. Though I suppose you're going to run into that issue with pretty much any of the alums under consideration for assistant positions. I don't hate the idea of getting Tinney on staff as the volunteer—he has knowledge of multiple areas of the field, can help with the middies and wings, and would generally be a positive presence on the sideline for those guys. Maybe his energy/swagger would rub off on them. It's not a coincidence that the two best seasons in recent memory (2015 and 2018) were two of the three years Tinney played.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:23 am Koesterer checks a lot of boxes but I wonder if he'd even consider it—he played for Petro for four years and then coached with him for a few more. He likely owes a lot to the guy. Out of a sense of loyalty he might not want to be a part of the new regime. Though I suppose you're going to run into that issue with pretty much any of the alums under consideration for assistant positions. I don't hate the idea of getting Tinney on staff as the volunteer—he has knowledge of multiple areas of the field, can help with the middies and wings, and would generally be a positive presence on the sideline for those guys. Maybe his energy/swagger would rub off on them. It's not a coincidence that the two best seasons in recent memory (2015 and 2018) were two of the three years Tinney played.
I was being a little facetious in regards to Stanwick and Galloway but yeah I do think Tinney would be interesting as a volunteer assistant. I believe he is involved in coaching HS (Calvert Hall?) so maybe has aspirations to make his way up the college coaching ranks? VAC at JHU is as good a place to start as any.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

what's the old saying if you coach for the fans you'll end up watching the next game w/them? I don't care where his coaches come from if they win games and the alumni thing shouldn't be a criteria. there was a very long pause in that radio interview when he was asked about the alumni and frankly that nonsense is on the ad. His first priority right now needs to be a staff/players/recruits, getting ready for the fall, not the Rabil familys feelings.

I looked at that 2021 roster and as kevin mccalister would say looking at his brother buzz's girlfriend, woof. Without knowing the recruits quality and who is coming back from grads
angelus-epstein-murphy
connor-zinn-baskin
prouty
mcmanus-calnan-shure
reinson
glassmeyer-lilly

to me I'd only feel comfortable w/2 names on that list and that's prouty and epstein.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:54 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:23 am Koesterer checks a lot of boxes but I wonder if he'd even consider it—he played for Petro for four years and then coached with him for a few more. He likely owes a lot to the guy. Out of a sense of loyalty he might not want to be a part of the new regime. Though I suppose you're going to run into that issue with pretty much any of the alums under consideration for assistant positions. I don't hate the idea of getting Tinney on staff as the volunteer—he has knowledge of multiple areas of the field, can help with the middies and wings, and would generally be a positive presence on the sideline for those guys. Maybe his energy/swagger would rub off on them. It's not a coincidence that the two best seasons in recent memory (2015 and 2018) were two of the three years Tinney played.
I was being a little facetious in regards to Stanwick and Galloway but yeah I do think Tinney would be interesting as a volunteer assistant. I believe he is involved in coaching HS (Calvert Hall?) so maybe has aspirations to make his way up the college coaching ranks? VAC at JHU is as good a place to start as any.
No to Tinney, yes to Stanwick and Koesterer. 2016 was a wreck. Petro out with back issues and Tinney suspended; he wasn't there for his team when they needed him most. He is undeniably an incredible player to watch, but that season leaves a mark. Stanwick is exactly what this team needs, no question. Given all the sisters he has, and Sheehan being one of the best players ever, it's pretty easy to see why he would take the Gait path and coach the women's game, but he's a Homewood local and exactly what this team needs.

Are there other men's coaches who previously coached women at the college level? I'd be curious to see how the women's game could have an influence.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hey Coach Milliman, you get that? johnnyonthegunpowder has said no to Tinney, guess you shouldn't give the best Jays midfielder since Kyle Harrison a call about an unpaid volunteer assistant job. What's that? He already lives in Baltimore and coaches at the best high school program in the country and could help with the local recruiting pipeline in addition to being an energetic young member of the staff? Forget all that—johnny has already said no! We have to move on. Should prob reach back out to Larry Quinn to see if he can take a few hours off each week to make our goalies worse.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:33 am Hey Coach Milliman, you get that? johnnyonthegunpowder has said no to Tinney, guess you shouldn't give the best Jays midfielder since Kyle Harrison a call about an unpaid volunteer assistant job. What's that? He already lives in Baltimore and coaches at the best high school program in the country and could help with the local recruiting pipeline in addition to being an energetic young member of the staff? Forget all that—johnny has already said no! We have to move on. Should prob reach back out to Larry Quinn to see if he can take a few hours off each week to make our goalies worse.
Well in defense of Mr. Gunpowder he did offer a reason(s) and I see his point. If people were willing to write Raymond off for an ancient issue Tinney brings a little more recent baggage.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:17 am
nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:54 am
No to Tinney, yes to Stanwick and Koesterer. 2016 was a wreck. Petro out with back issues and Tinney suspended; he wasn't there for his team when they needed him most. He is undeniably an incredible player to watch, but that season leaves a mark. Stanwick is exactly what this team needs, no question. Given all the sisters he has, and Sheehan being one of the best players ever, it's pretty easy to see why he would take the Gait path and coach the women's game, but he's a Homewood local and exactly what this team needs.

Are there other men's coaches who previously coached women at the college level? I'd be curious to see how the women's game could have an influence.
I do think Tinney has learned from it and realizes he made a mistake. He says as much in his tweet to Petro. I think VAC would be a perfect place to prove himself and in some way make amends. That being said, I'm a nobody with irrelevant thoughts on a lacrosse forum. I am confident Milliman is capable of and will make excellent choices without our help. :)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:51 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:33 am Hey Coach Milliman, you get that? johnnyonthegunpowder has said no to Tinney, guess you shouldn't give the best Jays midfielder since Kyle Harrison a call about an unpaid volunteer assistant job. What's that? He already lives in Baltimore and coaches at the best high school program in the country and could help with the local recruiting pipeline in addition to being an energetic young member of the staff? Forget all that—johnny has already said no! We have to move on. Should prob reach back out to Larry Quinn to see if he can take a few hours off each week to make our goalies worse.
Well in defense of Mr. Gunpowder he did offer a reason(s) and I see his point. If people were willing to write Raymond off for an ancient issue Tinney brings a little more recent baggage.
Uhhh...slightly different types of "baggage," don't you think? I wouldn't have been against Raymond, but his incident was several orders of magnitude more serious than Tinney's.

Listened to the most recent IL podcast, Xanders speculates that one or two of Cornell's seniors might be interested in following Milliman to JHU.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

The Xanders comments are good news. Pretty sure he wouldn't speculate without a basis. Probably even a good one.
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:13 am
Most advertised positions are actually wired. <-- Exactly. Search committees usually serve as (1) a contingency plan, and (2) a smokescreen for public consumption.

JB to PM: "No one who has openly supported the old regime." That will count Tinney out.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:34 pm JB to PM: "No one who has openly supported the old regime."
If that wasn't sarcasm, then you guys really have no idea how ADs function ...
viper

Post by viper »

I think this whole thing about not taking a job because of a previous relationship with Petro is hogwash. If Petro was still there and they were brought in to replace him it's one thing. He's already gone and there is no longer ANY connection to the man. Also, if what many here have been saying about Petro the man is true, then i am sure he would give Koesterer his blessing to take the job if it was a good opportunity.
viper

Post by viper »

I think this whole thing about not taking a job because of a previous relationship with Petro is hogwash. If Petro was still there and they were brought in to replace him it's one thing. He's already gone and there is no longer ANY connection to the man. Also, if what many here have been saying about Petro the man is true, then i am sure he would give Koesterer his blessing to take the job if it was a good opportunity.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”