All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

youthathletics

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:34 pm Fewer humans driving so...LA then vs.

LA now.
Also of note, the USA is downwind: NASA images show a decrease in China's pollution related to coronavirus shutdown

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:19 pm ‘A phantom plague’: Evangelicals who defied social distancing guidelines are dying of coronavirus in frightening numbers

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/a-phan ... g-numbers/

many Christian fundamentalists and evangelicals have been irresponsibly downplaying the dangers of COVID-19 and doing so with deadly results: journalist Alex Woodward, in the U.K.-based Independent, reports that the pandemic has claimed the lives of more than 30 pastors in the Bible Belt.

“Dozens of pastors across the Bible Belt have succumbed to coronavirus after churches and televangelists played down the pandemic and actively encouraged churchgoers to flout self-distancing guidelines,”

Evidently, thoughts and prayers are about as effective as is turning the other cheek in politics. In the world of reality, such mythical nonsense just doesn't work.
Anyone surprised by this raise your hand - either hand will do. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:34 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:46 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 pm Fauci just did a presser wherein he claims remdesivir will become "Standard of Care" in the near future. No one asked any relevant medical questions, like what about the reported 25% liver damage issue.

PS - apparently they are going to move all placebo patients to the remdesivir immediately in the trials.
Is liver damage guaranteed or can liver function be monitored via bloodwork ?
there has been no connected liver damage issue just yet. that is likely referencing a trial of 53 patients, in which 23% showed that hepatic enzyme increased. 2 patients were removed from remdesivir as a result.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NE ... Tools=true
"As reported in studies in healthy volunteers and patients infected with Ebola virus, mild-to-moderate elevations in ALT, AST, or both were observed in this cohort of patients with severe Covid-19. However, considering the frequency of liver dysfunction in patients with
Covid-19, attribution of hepatotoxicity to either remdesivir or the underlying disease is challenging. Nevertheless, the safety and side-effect profile of remdesivir in patients with Covid-19 require proper assessment in placebo-controlled trials."

if it's based on something else, i would like to look at it.

the full results of this new trial haven't really been released yet i guess? maybe anyone will know more about all aspects at that time. as it is, the results they're detailing don't sound too game changing to me. best thing that can be said is there's finally a randomized double blind trial. better results could be a function of when administered. maybe we'll know about that someday.
Correct my reference was the report last week of liver damage. Correct the study has not been published yet. Likely next week. Fauci was clearly out ahead of himself on this, not waiting for the publication of results.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:40 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 pm Fauci just did a presser wherein he claims remdesivir will become "Standard of Care" in the near future. No one asked any relevant medical questions, like what about the reported 25% liver damage issue.

PS - apparently they are going to move all placebo patients to the remdesivir immediately in the trials.
there has been no connected liver damage issue just yet. that is likely referencing a trial of 53 patients, in which 23% showed that hepatic enzyme increased. 2 patients were removed from remdesivir as a result.
"As reported in studies in healthy volunteers and patients infected with Ebola virus, mild-to-moderate elevations in ALT, AST, or both were observed in this cohort of patients with severe Covid-19. However, considering the frequency of liver dysfunction in patients with
Covid-19, attribution of hepatotoxicity to either remdesivir or the underlying disease is challenging. Nevertheless, the safety and side-effect profile of remdesivir in patients with Covid-19 require proper assessment in placebo-controlled trials."

the full results of this new trial haven't really been released yet i guess? maybe anyone will know more about all aspects at that time. as it is, the results they're detailing don't sound too game changing to me. best thing that can be said is there's finally a randomized double blind trial. better results could be a function of when administered. maybe we'll know about that someday.
Correct my reference was the report last week of liver damage. Correct the study has not been published yet. Likely next week. Fauci was clearly out ahead of himself on this, not waiting for the publication of results.
Best analysis I saw earlier today was this was definitely not a game changer but somewhat akin to other antivirals that reduce intensity/length of disease, but do not prevent or cure. Called it a single instead of a home run.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

if you know how to access that report, i'd like to see it. it's possible you may be referencing what i noted above, which in at least several outlets was misrepresented. inconclusive and by and large mild to moderate noted levels. both that and kidney potential renal side effects are noted as potential problems to be monitored and watched out for until proven otherwise. there should be a lot more info re: liver when matched against placebo and with 1000 patients in the trial once they produce a full report on it.

the other study that gilead conducted and released today seems pretty meaningful in that they discovered in a split of about 200 patients each, results were by and large better with half the timeline (and dosage). 5 days instead of 10. that would take their ability to treat patients from 140k to 280k now, and 1M by october, 2M by the end of the year, even without further production ramps from anywhere. maybe they could do even less? there were approx 7+% of "severe" elevated liver enzyme ALT in that trial. no placebo group, though. fatality was 8 and 11% bt the 2 doses, they were severe patients, no idea on base intubation numbers but they noted the expansion phase of the trial will be 5600 patients total, and include those on mechanical ventilators... which they didn't note that i saw for the 400 patient/first part of the trial.

in reply to an earlier poster -- most trials so far have been in more advanced stages, where many medical folks think it may be less effective. so maybe any positive effect with the trials at a later stage(like the reports out today ) are reason for hope. in gilead's announcement on their self study 5 day/10day, they also noted their own study of moderate patients, 600, due at the end of may. not sure what other trials along those lines may be being done.
https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.c ... -covid-19/
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

A well thought out study.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:55 pm

Best analysis I saw earlier today was this was definitely not a game changer but somewhat akin to other antivirals that reduce intensity/length of disease, but do not prevent or cure. Called it a single instead of a home run.
of course, singles can add up...
or not.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:28 pm
Anyone surprised by this raise your hand - either hand will do. :lol:

Well, it does at least verify a portion of the Bible: Recall that DumpTruck called himself the "Chosen". In the Bible it is written that he who calls himself 'Chosen" will lead many to the path of death and perdition. The fact that these foolish right wing preachers succumbed to the stupidity and evil of their Dear Leader is the cause of their death. This proves that just a little common sense does a lot more good than succumbing to mythology and CONservative idiotology right wingers are known for.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:27 pm

if you know how to access that report, i'd like to see it. it's possible you may be referencing what i noted above, which in at least several outlets was misrepresented. inconclusive and by and large mild to moderate noted levels. both that and kidney potential renal side effects are noted as potential problems to be monitored and watched out for until proven otherwise. there should be a lot more info re: liver when matched against placebo and with 1000 patients in the trial once they produce a full report on it.

the other study that gilead conducted and released today seems pretty meaningful in that they discovered in a split of about 200 patients each, results were by and large better with half the timeline (and dosage). 5 days instead of 10. that would take their ability to treat patients from 140k to 280k now, and 1M by october, 2M by the end of the year, even without further production ramps from anywhere. maybe they could do even less? there were approx 7+% of "severe" elevated liver enzyme ALT in that trial. no placebo group, though. fatality was 8 and 11% bt the 2 doses, they were severe patients, no idea on base intubation numbers but they noted the expansion phase of the trial will be 5600 patients total, and include those on mechanical ventilators... which they didn't note that i saw for the 400 patient/first part of the trial.

in reply to an earlier poster -- most trials so far have been in more advanced stages, where many medical folks think it may be less effective. so maybe any positive effect with the trials at a later stage(like the reports out today ) are reason for hope. in gilead's announcement on their self study 5 day/10day, they also noted their own study of moderate patients, 600, due at the end of may. not sure what other trials along those lines may be being done.
https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.c ... -covid-19/
Any data on how much healthcare capacity will be freed up if the drug treats mild to moderate cases? Anything to reduce the load is helpful.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i highly doubt that.
we can't even get test kits together. or we can and did already but we don't have the ability to actually conduct the tests.
my head is spinning.
today's spin just seems really over the top given the actual results. maybe it's bc we finally got a real clinical trial back. dunno. thought fauci's reaction was weird.

really thought the april 10 study release that was mistakenly panned had much greater promise (53 patients, one armed study, but just from anecdotal 80+% worst outcomes on intubation vs 18% in study... pretty good!) what do i know?!?!?

so we're saving several days possibly seems to be the result. maybe means works some at that point. that should be your savings in healthcare unless there is any word on how production can ramp, at least in 2020. you may have seen this before, it's not easy to make:
https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/03/26/pr ... g-it-14665
i'm guessing the world gets some of what gilead can make if it's greenlighted, so how much could this really be used for mild symptoms in the 1st place? even with great results for early admin, production drives this.

"experts" i've tried to inform me have basically said there is a real dividing point for anti-virals vs anti-inflammatories, cyyokine storm blockers, etc... like your guys. key would be getting effective anti-viral drugs ahead of that line. that group would have to be able to manufacture large scale, i would think.
calourie

Post by calourie »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:51 pm i highly doubt that.
we can't even get test kits together. or we can and did already but we don't have the ability to actually conduct the tests.
my head is spinning.
today's spin just seems really over the top given the actual results. maybe it's bc we finally got a real clinical trial back. dunno. thought fauci's reaction was weird.

really thought the april 10 study release that was mistakenly panned had much greater promise (53 patients, one armed study, but just from anecdotal 80+% worst outcomes on intubation vs 18% in study... pretty good!) what do i know?!?!?

so we're saving several days possibly seems to be the result. maybe means works some at that point. that should be your savings in healthcare unless there is any word on how production can ramp, at least in 2020. you may have seen this before, it's not easy to make:
https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/03/26/pr ... g-it-14665
i'm guessing the world gets some of what gilead can make if it's greenlighted, so how much could this really be used for mild symptoms in the 1st place? even with great results for early admin, production drives this.

"experts" i've tried to inform me have basically said there is a real dividing point for anti-virals vs anti-inflammatories, cyyokine storm blockers, etc... like your guys. key would be getting effective anti-viral drugs ahead of that line. that group would have to be able to manufacture large scale, i would think.

from listening to Fauci's comments comparing the test of this drug to his experience with the developing of an effective HIV drug back in the day he was saying that the finding of a drug with even a considerably muted efficacy impact on Covid19 was still a very encouraging first step, suggesting researchers are at least starting to make some headway in addressing the virus from a drug development standpoint. I'm willing to take his comments at face value and to accept that he was genuinely pleased that evidence of any headway whatsoever has been made. He has made it very clear recently that this is going to be a long drawn out slog, and I imagine he will be very closely monitoring the infestation trends that result from the various easings of social restrictions, and will be one of the first to speak out if the trends are alarming.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.greenwichtime.com/news/arti ... 234540.php I had not read this before today. You appear to be getting better and then you nosedive. Scary stuff indeed.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

California Republicans show their brilliance.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I am not entirely sure why there appears to be a political divide on how to announce the preliminary results of Remdesevir. I have my hunches, as do we all. And of course this plays out right here on a lacrosse forum.

The drug clearly shows some positive effect on the most severe patients.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/health/g ... index.html

It's not a vaccine and it is not 100% but it is helpful.

Liberal spin: only "modest hope":

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/29/heal ... virus.html

Now for the conservative spin: "hope"

https://www.foxnews.com/science/coronav ... gilead-ceo
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

More tRUMP regime brilliance:

Just imagine of any of this had been spewed by Democrats - what would the righties be saying?

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the same thing democrats are saying now?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Pence has been displaying the same brilliance shown by Trump:

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The Pence incident is just one more example of how this administration is unfit for office. Terrible leadership optics. The Mayo and healthcare providers nationwide are trying to set an example and this administration goes out of their way to poke Mayo and those healthcare workers in the eye. He and his posse should have worn masks or stayed the f**k home!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Terrible leadership optics for one demographic in the US is great leadership optics for another demographic. I have a neighbor who is a Trump-voter who says openly that there's no way she'll get the Coronavirus because she's way too stubborn. Her personality will preclude her from getting the virus. In other words, no need for a mask. Pence is speaking to this "bootstrap" audience. Never show weakness...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “POLITICS”