Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kennypowers

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by kennypowers »

I don't understand why some are having issue with the hire. Is it just that he's not an alum? There's no question that Petro had to go after a decade of mediocrity. Is there a particular candidate that those complaining were hoping for?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I would say goodbye to the Seniors. The reality is there isn’t much there and the talk about Colwell having experience, well he has experience but not really a useful piece in my opinion. I think the bench was full of better younger talent but the staff turned to him because he had experience with a very complicated system. If you want experience and someone that can play pick up the phone call Rapine and make amends on behalf of the school and the program.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

kennypowers wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:06 pmIs it just that he's not an alum?
Yes.
kennypowers wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:06 pmIs there a particular candidate that those complaining were hoping for?
Shawn Nadelen, Scott Marr, Brian Voelker, Greg Raymond, Kevin Conry, Brian Holman, Seth Tierney. (This is QK's list of alums who did not get the job, in what seems to me to be in order of roughly the amount of support they had.)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

kennypowers wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:06 pm I don't understand why some are having issue with the hire. Is it just that he's not an alum? There's no question that Petro had to go after a decade of mediocrity. Is there a particular candidate that those complaining were hoping for?
just wait if he doesn't choose an alum as an assistant. there might be negative retweets, a twitter record.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

He will pick at least one alum as an assistant. He's neither stupid nor suicidal.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I don’t really see that many complaints.

What gets me are folks who see a few scattered comments and then take them to think they are representative of a majority alumni base of opinion.

I would say those type of comments are far in the minority.

There are two larger categories of opinion:
1) supportive of the change (subcategory: ANY change), and
2) complete apathy.

I’d bet 2 is larger than 1 among alumni, and the apathy percentage has sadly probably grown a lot over the past 30 years.

So anyway, some of you are chasing what are mostly red herrings in my opinion, perhaps for schadenfreude purposes.

Now, let’s discuss the largest orange herring I’ve ever seen - Galloway. I was amazed how many here were both chasing and believing that last weekend. Pure entertainment. I was really laughing at those responses. That was so much fun, I wish I had even planted that story. Galloway?? Bueller?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

CU77 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:57 pm
kennypowers wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:06 pmIs it just that he's not an alum?
Yes.
kennypowers wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:06 pmIs there a particular candidate that those complaining were hoping for?
Shawn Nadelen, Scott Marr, Brian Voelker, Greg Raymond, Kevin Conry, Brian Holman, Seth Tierney. (This is QK's list of alums who did not get the job, in what seems to me to be in order of roughly the amount of support they had.)
I would take Milliman in a heartbeat over at the very least 5 of those 7 guys. Probably 6 and it's close with the 7th. Quint speaks for no one other than Quint. I agree with what others have said that his love/hate relationship with the school is bizarre and difficult to parse. I can't really get a read on what his true feelings are—one minute he's dumping all over Petro and the program live on ESPN and the next he is implying the decision to move on from him and hire a successful young outsider might be a catastrophe. You know what's a catastrophe? 2-4 and getting your kicked teeth in by Princeton again, losing every groundball battle, shooting well below 30% as a team and saving below 50% for what seems like the 10th season in a row.

The alums who were close to Petro are obviously going to be salty. He coached, coached with, or played with a lot of significant, influential Hopkins people over the last 30 years. His influence spans generations. So none of this is a surprise. But they'll get over it if the team wins. What *I* care about is how the players respond—and based on Epstein's comments from yesterday it sounds like they're ready to turn the page and get back to work.

Re: Galloway, he 100% interviewed for the position and was a real candidate. Had Milliman turned it down, he very well may have been the coach. That's not a joke.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:19 pm Re: Galloway, he 100% interviewed for the position and was a real candidate. Had Milliman turned it down, he very well may have been the coach. That's not a joke.
*sigh* That's the timeline I'd like to be in, where Milliman is still Cornell's coach and Hop fans' heads are all exploding in bursts of orange smoke ...
Justafan!!

Post by Justafan!! »

Winning solves a lot of problems. Let the process work. I'll bet the ranch Hopkins is in the FF, within 2 yrs. AND Champs within 4. Full Stop!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CU77 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:30 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:19 pm Re: Galloway, he 100% interviewed for the position and was a real candidate. Had Milliman turned it down, he very well may have been the coach. That's not a joke.
*sigh* That's the timeline I'd like to be in, where Milliman is still Cornell's coach and Hop fans' heads are all exploding in bursts of orange smoke ...
Ummm ... soooooo ... is this a bad time to discuss Jeff Teat? :?

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

"Oh to be a fly on the wall" or in today's parlance " If I could've hacked those Zoom Meetings". Was Milliman the first choice? If not why did some turn it down? Was admin sending a subliminal message?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:56 pm Ummm ... soooooo ... is this a bad time to discuss Jeff Teat? :?
At this point it's unlikely (though not yet definitively ruled out) that Jeff would be able to play for Cornell in 2021. If he can, my guess (no more than that) is that he will. If he can't, he may well want to follow PM to Hop. If so, more power to both of them.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CU77 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:22 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:56 pm Ummm ... soooooo ... is this a bad time to discuss Jeff Teat? :?
At this point it's unlikely (though not yet definitively ruled out) that Jeff would be able to play for Cornell in 2021. If he can, my guess (no more than that) is that he will. If he can't, he may well want to follow PM to Hop. If so, more power to both of them.
:shock:

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I have no inside information whatsoever, but I suspect Teat is probably done with college lacrosse either way. He already did a PG year in high school. And being a phenomenal indoor player as well, I bet he's eager to go play in the NLL, in addition to the PLL.

I think the focus should be on Morrill, who we know is already in the transfer portal, and has a deep connection to Hopkins. Now with a coach in the building, who likely knows Morrill pretty well from coaching in the Ivy League, we should in theory be one of the favorites to land him. Georgetown also makes a lot of sense as his brother went there and played for Kevin Warne.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:32 pm I have no inside information whatsoever, but I suspect Teat is probably done with college lacrosse either way. He already did a PG year in high school. And being a phenomenal indoor player as well, I bet he's eager to go play in the NLL, in addition to the PLL.

I think the focus should be on Morrill, who we know is already in the transfer portal, and has a deep connection to Hopkins. Now with a coach in the building, who likely knows Morrill pretty well from coaching in the Ivy League, we should in theory be one of the favorites to land him. Georgetown also makes a lot of sense as his brother went there and played for Kevin Warne.
Why either/or? Just bring in both Morrill and Teat. ;)

I’m sure Teat is hungry for a national championship. As for Morrill ... c’mon ... the possibility of winning a national championship with Johns Hopkins has to be very tempting.

As for defense and goalie ... how about a first step of hiring John Galloway as the Associate Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator?

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

IL names G'Town as the natural front runner for Morrill. Doesn't mean anything unless it does.

I have no problem that Milliman is not an alum. I want the best coach possible - if he's it - great. I hope and hope he brings back some days where I really care about lacrosse in May instead of knowing the teeth were about to get kicked in again. If I am not completely over the moon about the hire it's because I don't get to see Cornell play very often and I don't know the man. I definitely want the ACs to be the best possible - couldn't care less whether they are alums - can they reach the kids, inspire them and get them to be better - this myth that you need a Baird Man to navigate lacrosse at 34 th and Charles is absurd these days - back in the day maybe - now not so much

Again, while I think there is a definite group of influential alumni that pay for the utilities in the CC - I don't think there is this grand piano of constant pressure where people are trying to maneuver Milliman onto the Red X. I think he can handle it

I would be lying if I said I didn't want to know about the process and who else was really in the running - did they get turned down by one or more etc. but that is what it is.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Peter Milliman HC
Steele Stanwick OC
John Galloway DC
Joel Tinney VAC

Minds blown... 8-) 8-) 8-)
CU77

Post by CU77 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:58 pmI don't get to see Cornell play very often
Last game Cornell played this year, vs PSU. A neutral-field barn-burner, worth the time for entertainment value alone:

flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:03 pm Peter Milliman HC
Steele Stanwick OC
John Galloway DC
Joel Tinney VAC

Minds blown... 8-) 8-) 8-)
There’s a better chance of Bobby Benson returning as OC than Steele Stanwick getting the assignment
Bluejayfan2

Post by Bluejayfan2 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:24 pm Need a new headshot with a blue tie ASAP. Somebody with photoshop skills ought to be able to fix that. Like how they doctored up his pic on the front page to change his Cornell hat and jacket to black and blue with a Hopkins Lacrosse logo lol
I guess Barnes & Noble isn't an essential business at the moment cause he could have stopped off at 33rrd and St Paul and dropped about $400 on a new Hop Blazer and Tie before the interview. I'm sure Jen will make it his first stop when business is back to normal

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”