All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Cooter

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Cooter »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 pm

Righties like Cooter think we should have just gone about our business, nothing to see here.
I am actually not a rightie, but an independent. I don't pay attention to right wing media.

I have degrees in chemistry and mathematics.
Lately, I have been studying data science and statistics.
While my primary interests are the physical sciences, my interest in data science has lead me to take a basic on-line course in genetics relatively recently.

I am mostly formulating my own opinions on the subject. They might be seem a little cold hearted as I am a scientist type.

You might note that on the global warming thread, I posted recently an article about the likely breakup of the Antarctic glaciers, and defended that global warming is happening. This is opposite the right wing view, is it not?
Live Free or Die!
a fan

Post by a fan »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:57 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:41 pm
Cooter wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:28 pm Actually one would expect some sort of rise.
As Germany has a lower infection rate, that means they would have less people who have immunity towards the disease

The 1%ers are telling you to shut up and get back to work....and they're telling you this from the comfort of their mansions, knowing full well they're first in line for a vaccine. Who is the sheeple here, exactly?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... infection/
Can it be of all the people with employees that you're the only noble one?
No, of course not.

My point is: I'm sitting here at work, right now. Been here 7 days a week for months now. I would NEVER tell my co workers to go to a workplace that I deemed dangerous, and not be there myself.

My point is: are the employers who think this virus is just no big deal out there working along side their lowest paid workers? I have yet to hear about leadership like that. And I guarantee you that every one of these corporations have a PR firm on speed dial, begging to tell that story. "CEO Mr. X has been working alongside factory workers for weeks now, touting all the safety measures put in place at Company Y". Who wouldn't love a story like that?

So where is this leadership? Is the CEO of Hormel working on the floor in the plants, showing everyone it's safe?
Last edited by a fan on Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Cooter wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Righties like Cooter think we should have just gone about our business, nothing to see here.
I am actually not a rightie, but an independent. I don't pay attention to right wing media.

While my primary interests are the physical sciences, my interest in data science has lead me to take a basic on-line course in genetics relatively recently.

I am mostly formulating my own opinions on the subject. They might be seem a little cold hearted as I am a scientist type.
No they're not cold hearted, and in the end, we have to make a choice between death and the economy, with no real right answer. Have you noticed that I haven't criticized a State for "opening too early", or "opening too late"?

My ENTIRE point in the last few posts is: it's impossible to get it right, and every State is different. We're in a war zone, and the data you are looking at is far from perfect....everyone is doing their level best with what little information we have.

But this whole "government is in the way" stuff is a bit much for me. You're going to find out that the .gov isn't in the way. As I have pointed out, there are 7 States that had no restrictions of movement at all. And their economies are just as much of a train wreck as the next one.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Cooter wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:32 pm I am actually not a rightie, but an independent.
Oh, and my apologies for getting this wrong. Mea Culpa..
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Just to note - a working paper looking at the difference between viewers who favored Hannity in viewing over Carlson (who was saying beware of CV) during early part of the process and comparing actual death rates from CV. vox.com does a good job of explaining how the analysis works.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds (R) said in her state, it will be considered a “voluntary quit” if an employee refuses to return to work once businesses reopen, thereby losing access to unemployment benefits. A similar situation will soon play out in Texas.

$...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Well, it appears your Spam supply is in good hands:

https://www.kaaltv.com/coronavirus/how- ... ?cat=10151

Day-to-day operations inside Hormel’s plant in Austin have changed quite drastically since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Since COVID has started, we’ve put kind of a multi-layer approach for our interventions ... Now you have multi-layers of protection when you come into work each and every day,” ... each day the employees walk into work with a different sense of pride knowing they are essential to the process.

Morale is very high so all is well at the Spam plant.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

You might note that on the global warming thread, I posted recently an article about the likely breakup of the Antarctic glaciers, and defended that global warming is happening. This is opposite the right wing view, is it not?
I read your thread in the GW thread. I respect your point of view. My perspective is well known and despised by most everybody here on this forum. When the day comes that we humans figure out how to re-freeze these glaciers and put them back where they belong, then I promise I will be all ears. When that day happens I will stand in total awe of all you folks who believe you have control over what the earth will do. Until that day happens I stand by what I have always believed. Our planet will do what it wants, where it wants, how it wants and whenever it sees fit to do it. There will never come a time when lowly humans will ever change that fact. We should all be good stewards of our planet. When good people think they can dictate what the earth will do... when humans can stop a cataclysmic earthquake wherever it will happen, let me know how that works out for us all.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
njbill

Post by njbill »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 pm Fauci just did a presser wherein he claims remdesivir will become "Standard of Care" in the near future. No one asked any relevant medical questions, like what about the reported 25% liver damage issue.

PS - apparently they are going to move all placebo patients to the remdesivir immediately in the trials.
I was a bit surprised by Dr. Fauci’s level of optimism. As the brilliant Dr. Brilliant said a few minutes later, “weak tea is better than no tea.” In essence, when you have nothing, something is better than nothing even if the something only helps a little.

The stats:

The mortality rate with Rendesivir was 8%, with a placebo 11%. Fauci and the other doctors say this is not statistically significant.

As to duration of illness: 11 days with Rendesivir and 15 days with a placebo. The doctors say this is statistically significant. I didn’t catch if they said what the start date was for “duration of illness.” The end date was date of discharge from the hospital.

A key point that seemed to be encouraging to Dr. Fauci was that this could be a beginning in the sense that hopefully the scientists have now found something that works, even if only a little bit, from which other drugs could build on to provide more effective therapies.

This drug is currently only available to be administered intravenously. A pill is not yet available. Obviously, it would dramatically increase this drug’s ability to be used if they could come up with a pill.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Fewer humans driving so...LA then vs.

LA now.
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

njbill wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:18 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 pm Fauci just did a presser wherein he claims remdesivir will become "Standard of Care" in the near future. No one asked any relevant medical questions, like what about the reported 25% liver damage issue.

PS - apparently they are going to move all placebo patients to the remdesivir immediately in the trials.
I was a bit surprised by Dr. Fauci’s level of optimism. As the brilliant Dr. Brilliant said a few minutes later, “weak tea is better than no tea.” In essence, when you have nothing, something is better than nothing even if the something only helps a little.

The stats:

The mortality rate with Rendesivir was 8%, with a placebo 11%. Fauci and the other doctors say this is not statistically significant.

As to duration of illness: 11 days with Rendesivir and 15 days with a placebo. The doctors say this is statistically significant. I didn’t catch if they said what the start date was for “duration of illness.” The end date was date of discharge from the hospital.

A key point that seemed to be encouraging to Dr. Fauci was that this could be a beginning in the sense that hopefully the scientists have now found something that works, even if only a little bit, from which other drugs could build on to provide more effective therapies.

This drug is currently only available to be administered intravenously. A pill is not yet available. Obviously, it would dramatically increase this drug’s ability to be used if they could come up with a pill.
Any data on if it’s given earlier how much more effective it would be? Anything is better than nothing and perhaps buys us time and reduced the risk of outstripping hospital capacity.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:34 pm Fewer humans driving so...LA then vs.

LA now.
Mother Nature did that all on by herself? She made up her mind to finally do something about it?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:15 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 pmRighties like Cooter think we should have just gone about our business, nothing to see here.

I read your thread in the GW thread. I respect your point of view. My perspective is well known and despised by most everybody here on this forum. When the day comes that we humans figure out how to re-freeze these glaciers and put them back where they belong, then I promise I will be all ears. When that day happens I will stand in total awe of all you folks who believe you have control over what the earth will do. Until that day happens I stand by what I have always believed. Our planet will do what it wants, where it wants, how it wants and whenever it sees fit to do it. There will never come a time when lowly humans will ever change that fact. We should all be good stewards of our planet. When good people think they can dictate what the earth will do... when humans can stop a cataclysmic earthquake wherever it will happen, let me know how that works out for us all.
earthquakes probably not too soon. or refreezing glaciers.
co2 most certainly has an effect,even little old us on mother earth. i've seen scientists on both sides of the aisle. if co2 and other factors send us into a higher temp world, the changes that happen will be some of what we think, and a lot of what we don't know. just like this virus.
anyway, the world of long term temperature geeks certainly have some innovative ways of piecing the puzzle together of what the earth has done in her wild temperature swings over just the last 10% of her existence. i'm sure they'll come up with more ways to map it out accurately, maybe going all the way back, fairly soon:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/05 ... g-humanity
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:35 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:34 pm Fewer humans driving so...LA then vs.

LA now.
Mother Nature did that all on by herself? She made up her mind to finally do something about it?
LA will sure look pretty as a picture the day that magnitude 8.0 hits. Mother nature will sure have a strange way of showing her gratitude. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
old salt

Post by old salt »

Is liver damage guaranteed or can liver function be monitored via bloodwork ?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

njbill wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:18 pm

The stats:

If the study size is small enough - the error bars on those two numbers (8%, 11%) could easily overlap, and maybe even significantly. That is the measure of statistical significance. If the experts say the numbers are not statistically significant, it means just that - no matter if it looks otherwise. It means there is a decent chance the numbers on a similar size study could have a reversed result.
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:04 pm Owners of an emergency care office? What else could it be?
:lol: They left out that little detail.

These guys OWN the ER clinics?

:lol:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

old salt wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:46 pm

Is liver damage guaranteed or can liver function be monitored via bloodwork ?
there has been no connected liver damage issue just yet. that is likely referencing a trial of 53 patients, in which 23% showed that hepatic enzyme increased. 2 patients were removed from remdesivir as a result.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NE ... Tools=true
"As reported in studies in healthy volunteers and patients infected with Ebola virus, mild-to-moderate elevations in ALT, AST, or both were observed in this cohort of patients with severe Covid-19. However, considering the frequency of liver dysfunction in patients with
Covid-19, attribution of hepatotoxicity to either remdesivir or the underlying disease is challenging. Nevertheless, the safety and side-effect profile of remdesivir in patients with Covid-19 require proper assessment in placebo-controlled trials."

if it's based on something else, i would like to look at it.

the full results of this new trial haven't really been released yet i guess? maybe anyone will know more about all aspects at that time. as it is, the results they're detailing don't sound too game changing to me. best thing that can be said is there's finally a randomized double blind trial. better results could be a function of when administered. maybe we'll know about that someday.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:35 pmMother Nature did that all on by herself? She made up her mind to finally do something about it?
And it's happening all over the world. If you can't see it in your own backyard, you're not looking. just not as dramatic.

(For the record, TLD is being sarcastic. Humans have a large role in how the earth thrives or (slowly) dies.)
Caddy Day

Return to “POLITICS”