Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by faircornell »

I agree. It is disheartening. I know that Coach Moran received higher pay offers when he was at Cornell, but had a feeling that Cornell was a special place. I guess in these economic times that is a less realistic way to expect a coach to behave. Also, back then, there were fewer schools looking to "poach" Ivy lacrosse coaches. That said, the right guy could pick-up where Milliman left off. The big question is finding the right guy. Personally, I like the idea of Kyle Georgalas. He knows the Cornell story, knows the school, knows Ithaca. Could step into the shoes more quickly. I'd rather have someone young and hungry in the spot. Given what's happened with the COVID-19 situation, I can't see Cornell putting up big money to hire a senior coach. I could be wrong.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

@College_Crosse
13 hours ago

Yale loses Morrill, Gaudet, Cotler, TD, Hynes, Weitzel. 6 starters/key guys. That’s a lot to replace
P'ton: Sowers, McCarthy, Robertson, Medghalchi. 4 key guys and best player in country
Cornell: Teat, Telesco, Fletcher, Salvatore, Rasimowicz, Duggan. 6 guys

That’s a lot.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:04 am @College_Crosse
13 hours ago

Yale loses Morrill, Gaudet, Cotler, TD, Hynes, Weitzel. 6 starters/key guys. That’s a lot to replace
P'ton: Sowers, McCarthy, Robertson, Medghalchi. 4 key guys and best player in country

That’s a lot.
None of Cornell's guys have entered the portal yet (that we know of) which tells me they're still holding out hope they can return to Ithaca. If they knew by now that there was no way to return, you'd think at least one of their seniors would have entered the portal like guys from Harvard, Princeton, and Yale have all done.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:19 am
13 hours ago

That’s a lot.
None of Cornell's guys have entered the portal yet (that we know of) which tells me they're still holding out hope they can return to Ithaca. If they knew by now that there was no way to return, you'd think at least one of their seniors would have entered the portal like guys from Harvard, Princeton, and Yale have all done.
I don't think Cornell seniors think there's any chance of playing for Big Red next year. It's pretty clear what the Ivy League's position is and the league would have to approve their appeal. Highly unlikely in my opinion. Perhaps they've decided to move on with their lives rather than hook up with a new team for one more year of lacrosse.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

13 hours ago

That’s a lot.
Highly doubt that Cornell would break ranks with their IVY brethren, to do so would lessen their image relative to others imo and render any conference wins rather hollow.

Princeton President eloquently put forth the academic priorities that set Ivies apart as well as the impact of virus on the entire student body not just spring athletes. Found that perspective to not only be proper but rather refreshing and uplifting because not a sellout. All graduates will be OK and Cornell is not bereft.

Let's face it , the NCAA royally screwed up and unnecessarily compounded issues that will linger for years when the easy decision was to simply move on.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

13 hours ago

That’s a lot.
That’s a good observation. My gut tells me some will be back. I have not seen anything that would suggest otherwise. Penn has already indicated that the school will work with athletes that want to return. Not sure where Brown is on this. Yale, Harvard, Princeton and Dartmouth are out.
“I wish you would!”
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

In a Brown Athletic Dept vid McCaleb said he'd love to return; his OCS candidate school has been rescheduled for mid 2021. But he seemed resigned that it's a non-starter. Goss seemed mostly "I'm ready to move on." Kniffen not interviewed. Finlay is in transfer portal. These were the starting seniors.
Typical Lax Dad

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:30 pm In a Brown Athletic Dept vid McCaleb said he'd love to return; his OCS candidate school has been rescheduled for mid 2021. But he seemed resigned that it's a non-starter. Goss seemed mostly "I'm ready to move on." Kniffen not interviewed. Finlay is in transfer portal. These were the starting seniors.
Thanks. I had not seen much on the Brown players. I forgot about Finlay being in the portal. Goss did a PG year and may be ready to move on.
“I wish you would!”
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

TLD, I'm pretty sure that Goss was a multi-year starter at Deerfield. I'm not sure how old he is but I don't recall him as a PG.
Typical Lax Dad

DALaxDad wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:23 pm TLD, I'm pretty sure that Goss was a multi-year starter at Deerfield. I'm not sure how old he is but I don't recall him as a PG.
I may be wrong. For some reason I thought Phil Reclassified or PG’d. Would like to see him play another year. He’s a difference maker. I don’t think a lot of the country realizes how good he is. If I had one game and had to pick a goalie, I am picking Goss.
“I wish you would!”
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:29 pm
DALaxDad wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:23 pm TLD, I'm pretty sure that Goss was a multi-year starter at Deerfield. I'm not sure how old he is but I don't recall him as a PG.
I may be wrong. For some reason I thought Phil Reclassified or PG’d. Would like to see him play another year. He’s a difference maker. I don’t think a lot of the country realizes how good he is. If I had one game and had to pick a goalie, I am picking Goss.
I can't address the reclass. There is probably a way to look at the Laxpower archives, but the search function won't work for me. I went back and looked at the end of 2015, which was Goss's junior year in high school. This is a copy of a post in the NE West 1 thread in May of 2015, giving an advance scouting report on the next year:

"Deerfield - Defensively, the Doors will be led by returning goalie Goss (Brown) and defenseman Alexander (Michigan), both noted D1 recruits."
Typical Lax Dad

DALaxDad wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:50 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:29 pm
I can't address the reclass. There is probably a way to look at the Laxpower archives, but the search function won't work for me. I went back and looked at the end of 2015, which was Goss's junior year in high school. This is a copy of a post in the NE West 1 thread in May of 2015, giving an advance scouting report on the next year:

"Deerfield - Defensively, the Doors will be led by returning goalie Goss (Brown) and defenseman Alexander (Michigan), both noted D1 recruits."
Ok. Thanks. I must have had it wrong.
“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

The semifinals of the SimIvyTournament are underway: #4 SimCornell v #1 SimPenn, followed by #3 SimPrinceton v #2 SimYale:

https://lacrossereference.com/game-win- ... _20200501/

https://lacrossereference.com/game-win- ... _20200501/
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

We need Sim Can Opener to predict the Sim Yale - Sim Cornell final. Based on the simulation, my guess is that Sim Yale takes the trophy... Unless Sim Cornell can capture some of the real life 2018 magic.
Makeit8Lax

Post by Makeit8Lax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:51 am Maybe one positive to come out of this horror is that the League offices will be too busy otherwise occupied to bury the ILT in non-lax or non-Ivy locations. League Champs, or rotating schedule (yes yes include Columbia if you must).
What a waste of resources: let's grow the game in NYC! How many programs are there close by? Is the city (sorry: THE City) not in the middle of the Conn-LI-NJ-Philly nexus? Columbia already has a women's team. If they wanted a men's team they would have it. Or let Kraft do for Columbia what the Alibaba guy (that's correct, isn't it?) does for Yale.
We were an original collegiate lacrosse program (pre-World War I), currently have a club and are working on getting a varsity. Nearly $100K raised so far in an endowed fund.
www.makeit8.com
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Harvard has a new AD. Erin McDermott comes to the Crimson from the University of Chicago, where she was AD. Past athletic administraton experience was at both Princeton and Columbia.

At U of C, she introduced women's lacrosse as a new varsity sport. Women's lacrosse was the first new varsity team formed at that school in 30 years.
Ox77

Post by Ox77 »

OK hear me out on my recruiting pitch...

Would you rather get an Ivy League education AND have a chance at stepping in and playing at one of the top programs in the nation...
Or...
Would you prefer to go to a school that has a roster of 50 kids, including current (and more expected in the next couple of years) transfers and 5th year seniors who are 21/22/23 yrs old?

I'm tired of hearing how the Ivy League teams are done and I'm looking for something positive out of all of this. That ACC/Big10 log-jam is going to be brutal, and it's clear that top programs are going to go after great transfers and slot them in above existing kids.

For sure the Ivies lost out on a "forever" season, talent-wise, and for sure they're likely to get hurt by loaded teams next year. But doesnt this- in a weird way- make the Ivies more attractive to a lot of top players who have the academics?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I agree with you. The log jam that you note must make the Ivies more attractive to such players. I'm not a recruiting expert or a transfer expert, but I wonder how these types of players would "switch" to an Ivy if such an opportunity were available.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

I've said this on Laxpower before, and I'll say it again. The ivies will be just fine. Its not a lacrosse factory. Never will be. The schools attract a particular kind of student. Its not for everyone, and thats fine. The coaches have done a great job in targeting those kids who value what the Ivy programs offer. Its only going to get better. Ups, downs, corona, whatever........these teams will do just fine.
renault

Post by renault »

Ox77 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:40 pm OK hear me out on my recruiting pitch...

Would you rather get an Ivy League education AND have a chance at stepping in and playing at one of the top programs in the nation...
Or...
Would you prefer to go to a school that has a roster of 50 kids, including current (and more expected in the next couple of years) transfers and 5th year seniors who are 21/22/23 yrs old?

I'm tired of hearing how the Ivy League teams are done and I'm looking for something positive out of all of this. That ACC/Big10 log-jam is going to be brutal, and it's clear that top programs are going to go after great transfers and slot them in above existing kids.

For sure the Ivies lost out on a "forever" season, talent-wise, and for sure they're likely to get hurt by loaded teams next year. But doesnt this- in a weird way- make the Ivies more attractive to a lot of top players who have the academics?
For the most part, kids who want to go Ivy League do go Ivy League.

Ivy teams don't have real issues selling the schools/programs, they have trouble with their admissions offices.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”