Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

stupefied wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:16 am The present situation at JHU is a good place to land for a new coach as I expect Hopkins to bounce back next year and Milliman to get much credit. Little reason not to expect a .500 season or better as Epstein returns in good health , some good young players such as Murphy continue to grow along with incoming talent from Petro's good recruiting classes .The portal still has plenty of talent to recruit a need and Morril or a Corneelian may be predisposed to coming and there are some good goalies in portal. . Over at Maryland, Tillman turnstile keeps churning reinforcing and expanding their talent base. They should be king of b10 and a top four team
The ship was already turning. Hopkins will be fine.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:09 pm Rutgers gets a ton of $$$ as part of the b1g. I don't feel bad for them. They're a rare affordable school in one of the most populous regions of the country, lot to sell there w kids who can get an affordable b1g education and stay home.

Yesterdays press conference was pretty soft (still can't believe xanders had nothing to ask baker on recruiting) and coach milliman got a much tougher ride today. petro was a regular on this program+the host really went at milliman on some sensititve areas from
alumni outreach-that's the ad's job considering how happy she was to attack us.
his ties to hopkins-he denied he had any connections to the opening a few times, many of you said he worked w/baker there
meeting w/petro-good luck on that one for now
and he said he's working from ny for now and won't get his office until mid july.

sounds like a nice man.
https://glennclarkradio.com/2020/04/28/ ... m-hopkins/
I thought that was a great interview. Seems like a level-headed guy. The right amount of respect for the Hopkins program and tradition without being cartoonish about it. Loved that he stayed away from platitudes; I think we've had enough of that over the past decade. Sounds like someone who understands the situation and knows what he wants to do.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The roster page has been cleansed—Milliman's profile is in, the former staff is out. I was under the impression Dyer was staying, but his page is not available as of today.

Pion, Hubler, Giacalone, and Smith are not listed on the "2021 roster."

Concannon, Williams, Colwell, and Lyne however are still there and listed as graduate students. Concannon, Williams, and Gainey are still in the transfer portal according to reports, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're leaving. Sounds like Colwell and Lyne may be staying.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:41 am QK and DP have know each other for 30 plus years there is a long relationship between the two that probably allows QK to have access to the program that many other reporters didn't. It is hard to give that up.
Maybe -but if true then one thing Dave will have to give Quint credit for - QK never exploited that access - even though I attended most games in person I of course recorded and watched replays - hard to recall many Quint scoops on the broadcast or in his blog. I would have said the relationship was cordial but no bromance.
steel_hop wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:41 am I've been against the move to the B!G since the beginning and nothing has really changed my view. If Hopkins needs another bite at the apple, then it isn't a very good team (yes, this is even knowing the 2015 outcome). But, there is no doubt that Hopkins in the B1G has pushed up the other programs like PSU and OSU to levels they likely would have never been but for Hopkins in the B!G. With OSU and PSU being in the B!G it allows Tambroni and Myers to say to MD/NoVA kids "hey at least once a year we are going to play about 20 minutes from your house." They couldn't say that before. It opens the door just another crack for those schools. And congrats they used it effectively.

I also said that moving to the B!G would result in Hopkins not being able to play some old and new traditional rivals. And that is what as exactly happened. Navy, UVA and Loyola have all been on and off the schedule since the move to the B1G. I don't find the "oh, we could miss not playing a game late in April" persuasive. See the deal the ACC had with Penn to ensure that the 5th team in the ACC that didn't play in the ACC tournament got to play UPenn that week.
Penn State and Ohio State were eventually going to be forces no matter what - Hopkins joining to make a auto bid league was good for them to be sure from the sheer fact that there is a league but once those schools added programs and became semi serious - it's a matter of time. They have too many toys and girls. While I always would like to see Hopkins play Navy and UVA - the schedule is absolutely fine - the BIG is a very good league with decent teams from top to bottom - while Michigan hasn't won very many league games - they will get there. If I am a Hopkins player I have much more interest going to State College/Columbus/Ann Arbor and seeing what's happening then a likely pretty sterile bus ride to Annapolis and playing Navy off the premises of the Academy. Have to remember - if you asked any of the 58 players theoretically eligible to be on the Hopkins roster who Jimmy Lewis was - maybe a handful of their dads made them read The Spirit of the Stick but other than that - zippy.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Need a new headshot with a blue tie ASAP. Somebody with photoshop skills ought to be able to fix that. Like how they doctored up his pic on the front page to change his Cornell hat and jacket to black and blue with a Hopkins Lacrosse logo lol
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Looks like the Petro Lacrosse Camp has been canceled, but the BB Lacrosse Camp is moving ahead as scheduled.

Would be cruel to cancel Benson and Dwan’s camp. I’m sure that’s a major source of their income.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
CU77

Post by CU77 »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:41 am With OSU and PSU being in the B!G it allows Tambroni and Myers to say to MD/NoVA kids "hey at least once a year we are going to play about 20 minutes from your house."
Last I checked, the University of Maryland is still in Maryland. And Maryland was going to the B1G with or without Hopkins. That was a football/basketball driven decision that was going to happen no matter how the lax situation ended up.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CU77 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:53 pm
steel_hop wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:41 am With OSU and PSU being in the B!G it allows Tambroni and Myers to say to MD/NoVA kids "hey at least once a year we are going to play about 20 minutes from your house."
Last I checked, the University of Maryland is still in Maryland. And Maryland was going to the B1G with or without Hopkins. That was a football/basketball driven decision that was going to happen no matter how the lax situation ended up.
University of Maryland?

I’m sorry, are you referring to the local agricultural college?

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

CU77 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:53 pm
MD was in the B1G way before any decision was made over Hopkins so I completely agree. Hopkins and lacrosse were lower than an ancillary reason. And if you asked B1G officials in Indianapolis honestly what they thought of Hopkins and lacrosse, they would say it is pure filler and that MD was fine.

But, for recruiting purposes, under the H/A system, they would only automatically play in the DMV area once every other year. Adding Hopkins that now can happen every year. I haven't looked at the schedules but I suspect it is worked out that for most of the schools if they play MD away, they play Hopkins home and the reverse is true.

Being able to see little Jimmy or Johnny without an overnight stay can go along way to Jimmy or Johnny's parents.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I’m getting 62 players before any transfers in. Where are people getting 58?
Homer

Post by Homer »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:06 pm But, for recruiting purposes, under the H/A system, they would only automatically play in the DMV area once every other year. Adding Hopkins that now can happen every year. I haven't looked at the schedules but I suspect it is worked out that for most of the schools if they play MD away, they play Hopkins home and the reverse is true.

Being able to see little Jimmy or Johnny without an overnight stay can go along way to Jimmy or Johnny's parents.
OSU and PSU would be playing multiple games a year in the mid-Atlantic under almost any scenario simply because of where D1 teams are concentrated and the number of non-conference games to fill. You do remember that at the time B1G lacrosse started Ohio St shared a conference with Loyola and Penn St with Towson,right?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:36 pm I’m getting 62 players before any transfers in. Where are people getting 58?
I'm getting 62 also (44 on current roster + 18 incoming freshmen) but that assumes Concannon, Williams, and Gainey all stay. It also assumes no recruits change commitments. Stagnitta has already transferred to Jacksonville and Hubler who is in the portal has been taken off the roster (as has Pion, but he already said he was done playing lacrosse). I don't know what happened to Forry Smith but I guess he's also moving on as well.

That number is obviously huge but other schools are going to be faced with a similar problem. I would not be shocked if there are a couple of cuts or a few guys mysteriously drop from the roster over the summer. That tends to happen even under normal circumstances.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Lars at UVA held try outs when he took over from what I remember. I wonder if PM will do the same. Can Cordish handle 60 plus on the roster?
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

Any word at all about the assistant coaches? He sure can't bring everyone from Cornell with him.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

PM's assistants are staying at Cornell.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:12 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:25 am There is one other factor to everything that has transpired that really hasn’t been discussed: the Cordish Lacrosse Center.

While it has been absolutely helpful in making the program more attractive to recruits, I think it hurt DP in the long run.

My thinking: the whole key to what went down was how Daniels views Pietramala, and sitting up their in a window office overlooking Homewood Field, in my opinion, just further made it look like former Coach was on an unassailable perch.

It has now been clearly established who has the biggest perch at Homewood.

There’s one thing among many that I want to very strongly say is a great attribute of former Coach: beyond loyalty, I felt he was and probably still will be a great spokesman for the University. His press conferences, meetings with alumni, individual conversations, etc., always conveyed a tremendous amount of love and respect both for the institution of Johns Hopkins and its people, history and tradition, and a very humble gratefulness of the opportunity that he had been given to both go to school there, play and coach.

I am absolutely certain he still feels that way about Johns Hopkins as an institution and his history and opportunities. If he says anything at all that is even slightly negative in the coming weeks, months and years, it will really represent his very understandable feelings toward certain individuals and how he was treated, and not his feelings toward the University as a whole.

Conjecture on my part, but of course, many of us have met him over the years and heard him talk at events, and that’s my opinion of the man and his character.

I wish him the best. He will represent some other institution very well someday, but I fully expect him to take a very high road and continue to speak highly of the University.
As DP is a former Hopkins playing legend, thank you for the blatantly obvious--I'm glad someone took the time to write it, though.
Thanks.

So blatantly obvious, some still want to argue about it, despite best efforts to try to inform folks around here. Tiresome trolls.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:36 pm I’m getting 62 players before any transfers in. Where are people getting 58?
58 was assuming all seniors waved bye-bye.
Looks like 4 don't want to leave.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:03 pm
FMUBart wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:12 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:25 am There is one other factor to everything that has transpired that really hasn’t been discussed: the Cordish Lacrosse Center.

While it has been absolutely helpful in making the program more attractive to recruits, I think it hurt DP in the long run.

My thinking: the whole key to what went down was how Daniels views Pietramala, and sitting up their in a window office overlooking Homewood Field, in my opinion, just further made it look like former Coach was on an unassailable perch.

It has now been clearly established who has the biggest perch at Homewood.

There’s one thing among many that I want to very strongly say is a great attribute of former Coach: beyond loyalty, I felt he was and probably still will be a great spokesman for the University. His press conferences, meetings with alumni, individual conversations, etc., always conveyed a tremendous amount of love and respect both for the institution of Johns Hopkins and its people, history and tradition, and a very humble gratefulness of the opportunity that he had been given to both go to school there, play and coach.

I am absolutely certain he still feels that way about Johns Hopkins as an institution and his history and opportunities. If he says anything at all that is even slightly negative in the coming weeks, months and years, it will really represent his very understandable feelings toward certain individuals and how he was treated, and not his feelings toward the University as a whole.

Conjecture on my part, but of course, many of us have met him over the years and heard him talk at events, and that’s my opinion of the man and his character.

I wish him the best. He will represent some other institution very well someday, but I fully expect him to take a very high road and continue to speak highly of the University.
As DP is a former Hopkins playing legend, thank you for the blatantly obvious--I'm glad someone took the time to write it, though.
Thanks.

So blatantly obvious, some still want to argue about it, despite best efforts to try to inform folks around here. Tiresome trolls.
Well stated Wombat(crazy). DP is a person of substance. Hope he resurfaces soon.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Yes - when I used 58 - I assumed no returning seniors - especially with a new coach. If I were Milliman, Colwell is the name that generates the most interest for me amongst the seniors mainly because there is no experience within the Close D. Williams is an interesting issue - his physical size and skills are tantalizing and you could argue a better supporting cast makes him that much more dangerous BUT his presence delays Grimes getting to his natural spot. If Morrill came to Homewood - then there goes another attack spot - if Teat is a Milliman fan and said I would like to trade Red for Blue - Cole is not playing in front of that particular munchkin but I assume that is not going to happen.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-48 members of the 07 title team, 3 were walkons. No need for 50 much less 58. If this were 02-08 and we'd been a title chasing program w/proven leaders I'd say bring them back, but last year was awful+time to look to the future. Transfer portal additions should give some other kids an idea if there's still a future for them here. jack lyne, owen colwell, not guys with many highlights to me, concannon has been hurt consistently and williams was a non factor too many times. This is a program in 2021-2023 mindset right now. move on.
-$9.99 free shipping Hopkins logo masks w/proceeds going to frontline hopkins efforts to fight corona. For the Hopkins bureacrats who read this forum why are these not available? NHL sells them, we are after all a medical institution. I'd buy a few. you're welcome.
-the dyer trained hopkins teams were slow, lacked athleticism, and physicality despite a special facility. they need someone a lot better there.
-love quint's spice. He's upset in one of his comments that the school won't let espn use shots of campus beyond amr 1 and the roof of gilman. They must not want for whatever legal reasons shots of students in the footage. Never liked that amr 1 gate they put up.
-maryland joined the b1g because the $$$$ coming from b1g football contracts was too much to say no to. it was not a basketball driven decision. poor school, rich state.
-given faucis comments I doubt there are camps this summer. our ex guys will land well.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”