Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu06 »

Rutgers gets a ton of $$$ as part of the b1g. I don't feel bad for them. They're a rare affordable school in one of the most populous regions of the country, lot to sell there w kids who can get an affordable b1g education and stay home.

Yesterdays press conference was pretty soft (still can't believe xanders had nothing to ask baker on recruiting) and coach milliman got a much tougher ride today. petro was a regular on this program+the host really went at milliman on some sensititve areas from
alumni outreach-that's the ad's job considering how happy she was to attack us.
his ties to hopkins-he denied he had any connections to the opening a few times, many of you said he worked w/baker there
meeting w/petro-good luck on that one for now
and he said he's working from ny for now and won't get his office until mid july.

sounds like a nice man.
https://glennclarkradio.com/2020/04/28/ ... m-hopkins/
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:09 pm Rutgers gets a ton of $$$ as part of the b1g. I don't feel bad for them. They're a rare affordable school in one of the most populous regions of the country, lot to sell there w kids who can get an affordable b1g education and stay home.

Yesterdays press conference was pretty soft (still can't believe xanders had nothing to ask baker on recruiting) and coach milliman got a much tougher ride today. petro was a regular on this program+the host really went at milliman on some sensititve areas from
his ties to hopkins-he denied he had any connections to the opening a few times, many of you said he worked w/baker there
and he said he's working from ny for now and won't get his office until mid july.

sounds like a nice man.
Hated that the guy used the word ingratiate in his question, and I wish Milliman wouldn't have repeated that word. He needs to learn the culture of JHU and understand how he fits in that culture. He doesn't need to ingratiate himself in any way, shape, or form. He'll learn to redirect those types of questions.
Justafan!!

Post by Justafan!! »

Ingratiate or not, Hopkins has just hired a coach that will rally his players, AND be thoroughly supported by those of you who like to win! Their future is very bright!
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:09 pm Rutgers gets a ton of $$$ as part of the b1g. I don't feel bad for them. They're a rare affordable school in one of the most populous regions of the country, lot to sell there w kids who can get an affordable b1g education and stay home.

sounds like a nice man.
He seemed much more open and comfortable than he was in the initial press conference, even in the face of tougher questions. I think it provided a little more insight into who he is. I think he will be good for Hopkins Lacrosse.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Was just rewatching the Mount game - no good reason - was on ESPN+ watching the Jordan doc and didn't want to go to bed yet. The defense was a shambles (and a bit unlucky), but there's a lot talent on this team. Can't wait to see a healthy 32 again. 42 and 23 have very bright futures and are both extremely fun to watch. 40 can shoot (but can he do other things?) and 29 can do everything other than shoot. 14 (if he comes back) is an enigma. Don't really know what to make of the defensive players. The whole defense just seems out of whack. 15 even made some saves.

Hope a new system can bring out some of the talent there because I think there is some. Really, really interested to see how a new staff evaluates this roster (plus the new guys) and how the talent fits and develops with a new staff and in new systems. Thinking there's some upside (which of course is why Petro had to go).

Also kind of funny hearing QK passively aggressively crap on Petro, not knowing what's coming and him having to subsequently eulogize the Petro years within a month. QK is a weird dude. Don't really understand his relationship with Petro or with the program as a whole. Seems conflicted. Yet another reason why the Milliman years will be interesting.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

sounds like a nice man.

Good point. I was not thinking about that question about connection as one angled toward his previous work with Baker. I heard it more as a lob, an oppurtunity to say, "Yeah, growing up I loved Hopkins", but there was none of that. Quint pretty critical in yesterday's IL podcast. I don't necessarily agree, but QK makes some good points, particularly about the impression he gives in The Season, which is a garbage product anyway. Harrison really is not a narrator. Everything I hear him do is awkward. Speaking of 2005 though, I really like that Milliman seems pretty antihetical to that whole Harrison Rabil Youtube/Instagram scene. Still, you gotta "make adjustments".

Pete's sports psychology is more progressive and tuned into to certain aspect of individual performance and the culture of improvement that's so prominent these days. He seemed to scoff at the theme of "family" in the first episode of The Season and as a counterbalanced offered: "being together", "commitment to the program", and a "commitment to a lifestyle of excellence". I like those themes and I think they offer the real guidance. That being said, I do understand QK's take as well.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:48 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:09 pm

sounds like a nice man.

Good point. I was not thinking about that question about connection as one angled toward his previous work with Baker.
You know, I kind of had a sneaking suspicion that Ms. Baker had someone in mind when she let Petro go. My impression of her is careful, thorough, prepared. They both seem to be bending over backward not to mention any connection or contact they had when they were both at Cornell. They want to spin the narrative that the search was conducted in a thorough unbiased way.

The reality of a lot of job postings is that they usually have someone in mind when they advertise a position. That way they can say "wow, we conducted a thorough, exhaustive search and found the best candidate..."

Right. If Milliman puts a winner on the field next year, no one will care and it will prove how much coaching, good coaching, is a part of this equation.
If he doesn't start winning by 2022, his seat will get hot quickly. Welcome to Hopkins Coach.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I do think Milliman has a good chance to put a winner on the field next year. With guys like Epstein, Williams, maybe a transfer, Anglelus, Zinn - they should be able to score. Defensively is going to be the question mark - and who they hire is probably very important.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:42 am You know, I kind of had a sneaking suspicion that Ms. Baker had someone in mind when she let Petro go. My impression of her is careful, thorough, prepared. They both seem to be bending over backward not to mention any connection or contact they had when they were both at Cornell. They want to spin the narrative that the search was conducted in a thorough unbiased way.

The reality of a lot of job postings is that they usually have someone in mind when they advertise a position. That way they can say "wow, we conducted a thorough, exhaustive search and found the best candidate..."

Right. If Milliman puts a winner on the field next year, no one will care and it will prove how much coaching, good coaching, is a part of this equation.
If he doesn't start winning by 2022, his seat will get hot quickly. Welcome to Hopkins Coach.
They did do a thorough and exhaustive search. I know some of you want to believe there was some kind of conspiracy at play but have you ever considered they just hired the guy they thought was best for the job? OF COURSE they went into it with some names in mind already—it'd be malpractice if they didn't. If you've ever listened to Milliman talk, it won't come as a shock to you that he likely crushed the interview process and outlined a vision that impressed the search committee.

"If he doesn't start winning by 2022, his seat will get hot quickly"—yeah, only if you make it hot for him. A new regime needs at least 4 years without people breathing down its neck to institute a culture, get some of his own recruits in the door, and have a little bit of time to develop the players already on the roster. If after 4 full seasons, the team hasn't showed any marked improvement (or, god forbid, somehow regressed even further), then sure, let's start having the conversation. But until then, give the guy some room. He hasn't even moved his stuff to Baltimore yet and we're already talking about hot seats?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:15 pm Was just rewatching the Mount game - no good reason - was on ESPN+ watching the Jordan doc and didn't want to go to bed yet. The defense was a shambles (and a bit unlucky), but there's a lot talent on this team. Can't wait to see a healthy 32 again. 42 and 23 have very bright futures and are both extremely fun to watch. 40 can shoot (but can he do other things?) and 29 can do everything other than shoot. 14 (if he comes back) is an enigma. Don't really know what to make of the defensive players. The whole defense just seems out of whack. 15 even made some saves.
Agree about 42 and 23 (and obviously a healthy 32, but that goes without saying). 42 in particular showed me that he had "it"—I guess you can call it a poise or a presence that not many freshmen show early on in the season. The Stanwicks, Ryan Brown, John Crawley, Joey Epstein, they all had it. Hopefully that means a very bright and successful career to come. Between those guys, Williams if he returns, and Grimes/McDermott/Bauer/Chauvette/etc, there will be an embarrassment of riches at attack (not quite Duke level with Sowers now in the fold over there, but pretty close). Unfortunately as we all know, there are other spots on the field where that very much isn't the case and where Milliman will have his work cut out for him.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Like some of NYJays observations - first - agree 100% that the BIG has not really hurt Hopkins at all. Lacrosse is not big enough (no pun intended) where conferences make all that big (there's that word again) of a difference. Yes, you might want an Ivy but aside from that the kids that can end up at Ohio State or Michigan can just as well end up at UNC, UVA etc even Hopkins. No matter who the recruit is, that young man has to think the advantages of the Hopkins experience outweigh the disadvantages. Then there is the fact that with only 12.6 scholarships to go around - being fully funded should allow you to bring in good players. As HF16 said - no one is thinking 77-85 is going to be repeated ever again. But they should be competitive to a greater degree then they have been.

I also don't get QK. He spent over a decade taking little shots and digs at Hopkins whenever he could. I remember his famous line "Just because you're an alumnus doesn't mean you're a fan" . His favorite word to describe Petro's defensive philosophy was "passive" (To be clear I'm not saying he's wrong on that point but it wasn't used as a compliment.) Now all of a sudden Petro's an icon? And I would love to have a body/facial language expert review Q at the press conference - shows up late - goes in an out of the screen - looks like Vincent Vega after somebody keyed his car, And who will be calling Milliman late at night and where are all these tiresome press conferences going to be held? The press conferences after games lasted like 10 minutes if that. Lee and whomever IL would send in are the only two guys in the room for the most part. The tiresome thing about them was they were typically after a loss as of late. If your only job was to do Hopkins press conferences your golf handicap would be scratch or plus because you would have alot of time on your hands. Subtract the first 5 minutes of organizing the Zoom and the press conference to introduce the guy was attended by 10 people and lasted less than 25 minutes - how is PM going to keep up that pace?

Did find Q's list at the end to have some constructive observations but also a bunch that are Baker's job not his. It's not the head coach's job to try to get more money out of the BIG, deal with ESPNU or try to reconstruct the Hopkins aid packages. He can certainly try to drive an IVY like construct if he thinks that makes him more competitive but ultimately that's Baker's (and Daniels') decision. Also found the strength and conditioning comment interesting - I thought Jay Dyer was something of the gold standard in that arena as Q said program not facilities. Tweaking the schedule is the least of my concerns - would be nice to have someone figure out how to get students back in the stands - as with some of the other things that's not REALLY his job. Tell the throats they get an extra 1 or 2 points on all biochemistry exams for every game they attend - the Nest will be packed

I think Milliman's priorities should be:
- Hiring a staff
- Contacting current players and incoming recruits
- Analyzing the portal - something he admits he's new to - With Gainey in the portal - a career 46% save incumbent - a 4 year eligible player from a very good high school program but has not played and a recruit with some plaudits but not from a lacrosse factory - a goalie transfer would be possibly well advised - and then of course you have Morrill and maybe even Teat to think about.
- Developing a roster construction plan - there was going to have to be fall out no matter whether Petro stayed or went - you can't have 58 players - he's going to probably take some undeserved bullets but I think he can handle it
- Aside from goalie - defense needs to be reconstructed as does the mid-fields
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

There is one other factor to everything that has transpired that really hasn’t been discussed: the Cordish Lacrosse Center.

While it has been absolutely helpful in making the program more attractive to recruits, I think it hurt DP in the long run.

My thinking: the whole key to what went down was how Daniels views Pietramala, and sitting up their in a window office overlooking Homewood Field, in my opinion, just further made it look like former Coach was on an unassailable perch.

It has now been clearly established who has the biggest perch at Homewood.

There’s one thing among many that I want to very strongly say is a great attribute of former Coach: beyond loyalty, I felt he was and probably still will be a great spokesman for the University. His press conferences, meetings with alumni, individual conversations, etc., always conveyed a tremendous amount of love and respect both for the institution of Johns Hopkins and its people, history and tradition, and a very humble gratefulness of the opportunity that he had been given to both go to school there, play and coach.

I am absolutely certain he still feels that way about Johns Hopkins as an institution and his history and opportunities. If he says anything at all that is even slightly negative in the coming weeks, months and years, it will really represent his very understandable feelings toward certain individuals and how he was treated, and not his feelings toward the University as a whole.

Conjecture on my part, but of course, many of us have met him over the years and heard him talk at events, and that’s my opinion of the man and his character.

I wish him the best. He will represent some other institution very well someday, but I fully expect him to take a very high road and continue to speak highly of the University.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:25 am

There’s one thing among many that I want to very strongly say is a great attribute of former Coach: beyond loyalty, I felt he was and probably still will be a great spokesman for the University. His press conferences, meetings with alumni, individual conversations, etc., always conveyed a tremendous amount of love and respect both for the institution of Johns Hopkins and its people, history and tradition, and a very humble gratefulness of the opportunity that he had been given to both go to school there, play and coach.

I am absolutely certain he still feels that way about Johns Hopkins as an institution and his history and opportunities. If he says anything at all that is even slightly negative in the coming weeks, months and years, it will really represent his very understandable feelings toward certain individuals and how he was treated, and not his feelings toward the University as a whole.

Conjecture on my part, but of course, many of us have met him over the years and heard him talk at events, and that’s my opinion of the man and his character.

I wish him the best. He will represent some other institution very well someday, but I fully expect him to take a very high road and continue to speak highly of the University.
+1
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:13 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:44 am
When I was posting this I saw the Preston piece this morning which mostly reads like a rehash of this forum. He's been around as long as I've read the sun and sounds like he spoke to many of Petro's old friends for the column. I'm not going back into the ad/petro war but this is the second time after quint's comments that I've seen an analyst criticize the b1g move in recent weeks. I don't know what the long term status is there and if the alternative which quint suggested, restoring the uva game, adding some ivies is a better fit for the program. Quints comments on the espn relationship suggest that one is not going anywhere for awhile.
Preston is no longer a sportswriter (assuming you ever thought he was one). His MO is to write ill-informed "provocative" pieces intended only to annoy fans and generate clicks. He should be treated like a message board troll.
+1
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

So than Milliman is not an "outsider" at all, but the ultimate insider. So outside he's in. Ok, moving on....
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:15 am Like some of NYJays observations - first - agree 100% that the BIG has not really hurt Hopkins at all. Lacrosse is not big enough (no pun intended) where conferences make all that big (there's that word again) of a difference. Yes, you might want an Ivy but aside from that the kids that can end up at Ohio State or Michigan can just as well end up at UNC, UVA etc even Hopkins. No matter who the recruit is, that young man has to think the advantages of the Hopkins experience outweigh the disadvantages. Then there is the fact that with only 12.6 scholarships to go around - being fully funded should allow you to bring in good players. As HF16 said - no one is thinking 77-85 is going to be repeated ever again. But they should be competitive to a greater degree then they have been.
I've been against the move to the B!G since the beginning and nothing has really changed my view. If Hopkins needs another bite at the apple, then it isn't a very good team (yes, this is even knowing the 2015 outcome). But, there is no doubt that Hopkins in the B1G has pushed up the other programs like PSU and OSU to levels they likely would have never been but for Hopkins in the B!G. With OSU and PSU being in the B!G it allows Tambroni and Myers to say to MD/NoVA kids "hey at least once a year we are going to play about 20 minutes from your house." They couldn't say that before. It opens the door just another crack for those schools. And congrats they used it effectively.

I also said that moving to the B!G would result in Hopkins not being able to play some old and new traditional rivals. And that is what as exactly happened. Navy, UVA and Loyola have all been on and off the schedule since the move to the B1G. I don't find the "oh, we could miss not playing a game late in April" persuasive. See the deal the ACC had with Penn to ensure that the 5th team in the ACC that didn't play in the ACC tournament got to play UPenn that week.
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:15 am I also don't get QK. He spent over a decade taking little shots and digs at Hopkins whenever he could. I remember his famous line "Just because you're an alumnus doesn't mean you're a fan" . His favorite word to describe Petro's defensive philosophy was "passive" (To be clear I'm not saying he's wrong on that point but it wasn't used as a compliment.) Now all of a sudden Petro's an icon? And I would love to have a body/facial language expert review Q at the press conference - shows up late - goes in an out of the screen - looks like Vincent Vega after somebody keyed his car, And who will be calling Milliman late at night and where are all these tiresome press conferences going to be held?
QK and DP have know each other for 30 plus years there is a long relationship between the two that probably allows QK to have access to the program that many other reporters didn't. It is hard to give that up.
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:15 am Did find Q's list at the end to have some constructive observations but also a bunch that are Baker's job not his. It's not the head coach's job to try to get more money out of the BIG, deal with ESPNU or try to reconstruct the Hopkins aid packages. He can certainly try to drive an IVY like construct if he thinks that makes him more competitive but ultimately that's Baker's (and Daniels') decision. Also found the strength and conditioning comment interesting - I thought Jay Dyer was something of the gold standard in that arena as Q said program not facilities. Tweaking the schedule is the least of my concerns - would be nice to have someone figure out how to get students back in the stands - as with some of the other things that's not REALLY his job. Tell the throats they get an extra 1 or 2 points on all biochemistry exams for every game they attend - the Nest will be packed
I agree to an extent that the B!G and ESPN deal are very much in the AD's wheelhouse but Millman will have a big say in those deals. If Hopkins is successful, that gives Baker more leverage in any negotiations. If Hopkins is less successful, you will continue to see big rivalry games (at least from Hopkins view) like SU being shuffled off to ESPN+. If Hopkins is playing well, then the SU/Hopkins game will be on regular tv.

I also have no problem with Baker and Millman knowing each other from Cornell. That happens all the time. It isn't like she is hiring a guy with a 10-28 record. She hired a guy that was 28-10 in the 3 toughest lax conference in the country and had his team ranked no. 2. Regardless of where Nads stood in relationship to getting the job going 0-6 this year didn't do him any favors. If he is 6-0, maybe the conversation is different.
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:15 am I think Milliman's priorities should be:
- Hiring a staff
- Contacting current players and incoming recruits
- Analyzing the portal - something he admits he's new to - With Gainey in the portal - a career 46% save incumbent - a 4 year eligible player from a very good high school program but has not played and a recruit with some plaudits but not from a lacrosse factory - a goalie transfer would be possibly well advised - and then of course you have Morrill and maybe even Teat to think about.
- Developing a roster construction plan - there was going to have to be fall out no matter whether Petro stayed or went - you can't have 58 players - he's going to probably take some undeserved bullets but I think he can handle it
- Aside from goalie - defense needs to be reconstructed as does the mid-fields
I don't disagree with any of this. It will be interesting to see who he hires on his staff. I have to think one guy will have to have to have a connection to Hopkins alum (not that it matters) to keep some sense of connection between the staff and school. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be Steele because that will keep a full separation between the two regimes but keep some connection to Hopkins. Bringing in a Crawley, Boyle or the like still provides a connection to DP. But, I guess we will see. Regardless, it should be Millman's call and Baker shouldn't involved beyond approving the contract.

I completely understand his view about not looking at the transfer portal. No sense tantalizing yourself over the desserts if you are on no dessert diet. Though I'd bet he took a glance or two at the transfer portal once he started to progress through the interview process with Hopkins.

I agree that 58 players is way to many.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Not worried about the Attack at all (with or without transfers). I'm really curious to see how the new staff evaluates and uses the roster on D and in the midfield. I think with a new staff and systems, some guys who played a lot won't and some guys who haven't really played will turn out OK. Really think the change will show some hidden talent, which is precisely why the change was necessary. Did anyone really think the old staff was getting the best out of the guys they had? Well no one on this board, but maybe others.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:25 am There is one other factor to everything that has transpired that really hasn’t been discussed: the Cordish Lacrosse Center.

While it has been absolutely helpful in making the program more attractive to recruits, I think it hurt DP in the long run.

My thinking: the whole key to what went down was how Daniels views Pietramala, and sitting up their in a window office overlooking Homewood Field, in my opinion, just further made it look like former Coach was on an unassailable perch.

It has now been clearly established who has the biggest perch at Homewood.

As DP is a former Hopkins playing legend, thank you for the blatantly obvious--I'm glad someone took the time to write it, though.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

The present situation at JHU is a good place to land for a new coach as I expect Hopkins to bounce back next year and Milliman to get much credit. Little reason not to expect a .500 season or better as Epstein returns in good health , some good young players such as Murphy continue to grow along with incoming talent from Petro's good recruiting classes .The portal still has plenty of talent to recruit a need and Morril or a Corneelian may be predisposed to coming and there are some good goalies in portal. . Over at Maryland, Tillman turnstile keeps churning reinforcing and expanding their talent base. They should be king of b10 and a top four team
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Respectfully, I am skeptical that President Daniels thought much about Dave Pietramala or lacrosse. He probably considered it an annoyance when someone complained about the program to him.

Daniels manages a massive, complex, international enterprise. He is dealing with huge egos all the time ... federal, state, and local officials ... foreign leaders ... chairpersons of various divisions and departments ... big-pocket alumni ... and the Board of Trustees. I doubt he ever viewed Pietramala as competition of any kind.

Doesn’t mean he was oblivious to everything going on in the program. He must have seen the great success of the sports programs in general (a Golden Age for Johns Hopkins sports) and seen the lacrosse program as an outlier.

Contrary to what many here claim, Johns Hopkins invested a great deal in lacrosse during Daniels’ tenure: the Cordish Center, Lacrosse Advisory Board, renewed ESPNU contract, and Petro’s contract extensions (at least two of them). None of that could have happened without Daniels’ consent.

From what I have read and heard, Daniels is a metrics and performance driven guy. Numbers matter to him. I can see how such a person might not endear himself to everyone. If you produce the numbers ... whether in admission statistics, endowment performance, fundraising, publication stats, rankings, or wins ... you stayed on his good side. If not, you’re looking for a job.

I’m sure there was more than numbers that resulted in Petro’s dismissal. However, I am also confident that better numbers (wins, Final Fours, maybe a title) would have saved Petro’s job. If you produce the numbers for Daniels, I think you stay. If you don’t, you don’t.

Doesn’t make Daniels the most lovable university president, but it makes him an effective one in a data-driven 21st century.

All of which means, Milliman better start producing some good numbers sooner than later.

Good luck, Coach.

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”