D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by kramerica.inc »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:33 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:21 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:04 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:26 pm
Catbird wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:14 am Another hope - maybe the turmoil will clear out the dead wood including the guy who decided the reserved section needed assigned seating. :lol:
+1. Dead wood includes the guy who climbed into the stands and ordered me to turn off my camera at the alumni scrimmage.
I hope Coach Milliman takes on the “Joey Epstein Approach” to filming, namely:

I have practiced the same moves countless times since the 8th grade. You know what I will do. It doesn’t matter. You can’t stop me.

Open up practices. Let them film. Wear your actual jersey numbers in scrimmages. Let the entire world know what you’re going to do. Then dare them to stop you.

No well-coached team depends on secrecy or gimmicks to win

DocBarrister 8-)
Who was Petro's hooded best friend and coaching mentor from the NFL?

Who relied very heavily on secrecy and gimmicks....

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patr ... story.html

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015 ... story.html
That’s the thing ... the Patriots really did not depend on their tricks and mischief to win. Tom Brady would have been great whether or not he had those footballs deflated. New England under Belichick was the last team that needed secrecy and gimmicks to win. They could have put their entire playbook online and they would have still won. That’s what made the cheating so petty and sad.

DocBarrister
That may have been true for the first 10 years of Brady's career. But have you watched the Patriots at all during the past 8 years? Specifically in the palyoffs? They have most certainly been running trick plays to specifically gain an advantage momentum-wise and due to the weakening of Brady's arm and the loss of big play makers (Hernandez, Gronk etc.) in the receiving corps.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Maybe if Petro would've deflated the balls..
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:37 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:26 pm
Coach needs to take a look at that transfer portal ASAP. Other coaches are already getting good players. Can't really afford to wait here.
Assess the current team fast, and decide who you need.
hint: You need a GOALIE!
I’m sure Coach Milliman has already been on the phone with recruits and potential transfers ... needless to mention current players.

Looking back and forward, the decision to make a change was timely, the search very efficient, and the hiring decision very quick. Have to commend our AD.

DocBarrister
Apparently, he hasn't. He said in the press conference that he hadn't even looked at the Portal yet because the Ivy League couldn't get players from it.
He needs to do that right away.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Catbird wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:14 am Another hope - maybe the turmoil will clear out the dead wood including the guy who decided the reserved section needed assigned seating. :lol:
+1. Dead wood includes the guy who climbed into the stands and ordered me to turn off my camera at the alumni scrimmage.
+2 The first two things to get this program going in the right direction again are to stop failing clears and to stop worrying about what goes on in the reserved section. ;)
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:52 pm
+2 The first two things to get this program going in the right direction again are to stop failing clears and to stop worrying about what goes on in the reserved section. ;)
And find a goalie.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Sounds like the new coach will be on the Glenn Clark sports radio show tomorrow at 10 am
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Good news.
This may work out well for both parties :!:

Milliman, of course.
But also, Buczek to coach Big Red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:38 pm

I have practiced the same moves countless times since the 8th grade. You know what I will do. It doesn’t matter. You can’t stop me.

Open up practices. Let them film. Wear your actual jersey numbers in scrimmages. Let the entire world know what you’re going to do. Then dare them to stop you.

DocBarrister 8-)

That’s the thing ... the Patriots really did not depend on their tricks and mischief to win. Tom Brady would have been great whether or not he had those footballs deflated. New England under Belichick was the last team that needed secrecy and gimmicks to win. They could have put their entire playbook online and they would have still won. That’s what made the cheating so petty and sad.

DocBarrister
That may have been true for the first 10 years of Brady's career. But have you watched the Patriots at all during the past 8 years? Specifically in the palyoffs? They have most certainly been running trick plays to specifically gain an advantage momentum-wise and due to the weakening of Brady's arm and the loss of big play makers (Hernandez, Gronk etc.) in the receiving corps.
Aaron Hernandez just decided he was going to make plays at the club and on the street instead of at Foxboro...

Sometimes have to wonder if he and/or his ghost held opposing teams children hostage the way Seattle/Carroll screwed up and Atlanta blew a 407-6 lead with only the two minute warning left
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DocBarrister 8-)

DocBarrister
Now in which of those last 8 years Tommy’s arm become weak?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... adTo00.htm

Point it out for us.....8 years ago, 7, 6 or something else.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Baker identified non-negotiable criteria that drove the university’s decision to hire Milliman.

“Among those were high character, a coach who is committed to providing an outstanding and wholistic student-athlete experience for our players and a coach who is well-positioned to achieve a level of competitive success befitting the tradition and legacy that is Johns Hopkins lacrosse,” she said. “Peter emerged from an incredibly talented pool of candidates as someone who not only had all of those non-negotiables, but also clearly articulated a vision for the future of our program that resonated with and inspired all of us. His record of success at Cornell is remarkable, his innovative and strategic approach to the game is compelling, and his experience supporting and developing the kind of student-athletes we’re fortunate to have here at Hopkins — all of those things further differentiated him.”

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... -blue-jays

Pretty heady description for a lacrosse coach.

Key words include “outstanding and wholistic student-athlete experience,” which I suspect was a big reason he got the job. I may be wrong, but we may not hear much about Coach Milliman being a hard coach to play for, as we sometimes heard when Petro, Nadelen, and Raymond were being discussed.

Apparently, old school is out, and an outstanding and wholistic school is in.

Next few seasons should be interesting. Best wishes to Coach Milliman.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

During 2019, Coach Milliman sent an alumni update that included a very impressive team GPA. He highlighted some of the highest GPAs that were very close to 4.00. Also, in 2019, Cornell had a number of Academic All Americans (around 5, but I'd need to check). I'm sure that these statistics helped him.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:29 pm
Key words include “outstanding and wholistic student-athlete experience,”
In other words “NOT DAVE”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:49 pm

DocBarrister 8-)

DocBarrister

Gladly.

Of course his stats are consistent...he's a smart QB and because BB has always surrounded him with YAC guys. Have NexGen stats on YAC yards? Patriots have always been in the top 10 of YAC. Almost every year. There's a reason. Tom's arm has never been strong. He's always been on rhythm and accurate. But if you've watched the actual Patriots games the past 8 years you have seen the strength degradation.

8 years ago it became more noticeable. And it's when BB started using gimmick plays. Because he couldn't get the ball deep behind the defense. Slot receivers passing the ball. Halfback passes. Flea flickers. Tom could throw it deep, but not accurately and he couldn't consistently get it past the safeties. Only if he made the defense bite on a short or intermediate fake.

He hasn't been able to make a big play without breaking something underneath for a few years now. Wonder why BB and the Patriots always run trick plays when trailing? Wonder why the Patriots originally went to and featured a "unique" 2 receiving TE set 10 years ago? Wonder why they always have a strong slot guy? Wonder why they haven't had a deep threat since Moss?

Because Brady can't throw deep. He's all about short and intermediate routes.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:50 am

DocBarrister 8-)

DocBarrister

Gladly.

Of course his stats are consistent...he's a smart QB and because BB has always surrounded him with YAC guys. Have NexGen stats on YAC yards? Patriots have always been in the top 10 of YAC. Almost every year. There's a reason. Tom's arm has never been strong. He's always been on rhythm and accurate. But if you've watched the actual Patriots games the past 8 years you have seen the strength degradation.

8 years ago it became more noticeable. And it's when BB started using gimmick plays. Because he couldn't get the ball deep behind the defense. Slot receivers passing the ball. Halfback passes. Flea flickers. Tom could throw it deep, but not accurately and he couldn't consistently get it past the safeties. Only if he made the defense bite on a short or intermediate fake.

He hasn't been able to make a big play without breaking something underneath for a few years now. Wonder why BB and the Patriots always run trick plays when trailing? Wonder why the Patriots originally went to and featured a "unique" 2 receiving TE set 10 years ago? Wonder why they always have a strong slot guy? Wonder why they haven't had a deep threat since Moss?

You are misreading it. If you were to say the past 2 years Maybe? Peyton Manning was a guy that lost velocity as did Curt Warner. Nerve problems. The Pats are a take what you give me team and they adapted to personnel. With no deep threats or with teams taking it away it was dink and dunk football. Tommy have any problems finding Antonio Brown deep? 8 years of a weak arm is an exaggeration but we all tend to do that in sports.

Tom is an aging quarterback. He really fell off this past season. I thought trading Garappolo was a mistake...more so than arm strength, his down the field accuracy was poor. He made a ton of bad throws last season.
luvlaxlife

Post by luvlaxlife »

Hopkins 2021 thread!
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

______________ ___________, Head Coach, Johns Hopkins Blue Jays Men's Lacrosse has a great ring to it, until you find out you have to deal with (1) unreasonably high alumni expectations in a sport that has expanded so much the last few decades that no program can be a dynasty like the JHU teams of long ago, (2) alumni most of whom insist that the head coach be a JHU alumnus, and you're not one, and (3) dozens upon dozens of bloggers who have already laid down 1,600 posts in the categories JHU 2021 and JHU Coach Search, before Memorial Day 2020, and will magnify to the extreme any perceived error in recruiting or coaching. This being said, Coach Milliman did a great job at Cornell and I wish him success with the Blue Jays, except should he cross paths with the Big Red. On this point, Coach Pietramala never once agreed to schedule Cornell in his 20 years as JHU Head Coach, even though Cornell gave him his coaching start. Hopefully Coach Milliman will schedule the Big Red soon.
Typical Lax Dad

luvlaxlife wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:10 am Hopkins 2021 thread!
Yep..That’s why it include any and everything..
Typical Lax Dad

laxfan1313 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:29 am ______________ ___________, Head Coach, Johns Hopkins Blue Jays Men's Lacrosse has a great ring to it, until you find out you have to deal with (1) unreasonably high alumni expectations in a sport that has expanded so much the last few decades that no program can be a dynasty like the JHU teams of long ago, (2) alumni most of whom insist that the head coach be a JHU alumnus, and you're not one, and (3) dozens upon dozens of bloggers who have already laid down 1,600 posts in the categories JHU 2021 and JHU Coach Search, before Memorial Day 2020, and will magnify to the extreme any perceived error in recruiting or coaching. This being said, Coach Milliman did a great job at Cornell and I wish him success with the Blue Jays, except should he cross paths with the Big Red. On this point, Coach Pietramala never once agreed to schedule Cornell in his 20 years as JHU Head Coach, even though Cornell gave him his coaching start. Hopefully Coach Milliman will schedule the Big Red soon.
Which Saturday game would you give up? Just wondering. I would like to see that game also.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:29 am ______________ ___________, Head Coach, Johns Hopkins Blue Jays Men's Lacrosse has a great ring to it, until you find out you have to deal with (1) unreasonably high alumni expectations in a sport that has expanded so much the last few decades that no program can be a dynasty like the JHU teams of long ago, (2) alumni most of whom insist that the head coach be a JHU alumnus, and you're not one, and (3) dozens upon dozens of bloggers who have already laid down 1,600 posts in the categories JHU 2021 and JHU Coach Search, before Memorial Day 2020, and will magnify to the extreme any perceived error in recruiting or coaching. This being said, Coach Milliman did a great job at Cornell and I wish him success with the Blue Jays, except should he cross paths with the Big Red. On this point, Coach Pietramala never once agreed to schedule Cornell in his 20 years as JHU Head Coach, even though Cornell gave him his coaching start. Hopefully Coach Milliman will schedule the Big Red soon.
(1) I keep hearing this refrain about "unreasonably high alumni expectations" and it just isn't true. Show me the alum who still expects to be a "dynasty." Show me the alum who still expects Final Four appearances every single year. Show me the alum who genuinely believes that things can go back to the way they were in the early 2000s or 1980s. It's nonsense. I've never met anyone who thinks any of that and I have been around a lot of alums, both young and old. This may come as a shock to you but it's quite possible to simultaneously acknowledge that things will never go back to the way they used to be while also believing the program is capable of doing better than 2-4 and a single Final Four appearance in the last 12 seasons. I suspect Milliman believes the same, otherwise he probably would have stayed where he is.

(2) The alums who insist the head coach be an alum himself do not speak for the entire alumni base. Some wanted it to be an alum. Some didn't care. If Milliman is successful, no one is going to care that he isn't an alum. Look at Tillman at Maryland, Danowski at Duke, or Tiffany at Virginia.

(3) Nothing that is said on this forum has a material impact on recruiting or coaching.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:34 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:50 am

DocBarrister 8-)

DocBarrister

Gladly.

You are misreading it. If you were to say the past 2 years Maybe? Peyton Manning was a guy that lost velocity as did Curt Warner. Nerve problems. The Pats are a take what you give me team and they adapted to personnel. With no deep threats or with teams taking it away it was dink and dunk football. Tommy have any problems finding Antonio Brown deep? 8 years of a weak arm is an exaggeration but we all tend to do that in sports.

Tom is an aging quarterback. He really fell off this past season. I thought trading Garappolo was a mistake...more so than arm strength, his down the field accuracy was poor. He made a ton of bad throws last season.
I am going to split the different and say the last 3-4 years. And it isn't the deep ball but Brady's inability to drive the ball on deep outs/flag routes from the opposite hash of the field that has shown his arm is weakening. It isn't that he isn't a very good player but his arm strength has gone down. There is a very good reason in the year before playoffs (not this year) that the Pats went to a very run heavy team. Brady couldn't pass the ball effectively in the winter wind conditions. It is not surprising in the least the Brady picked Tampa to play this year. He won't have to deal with the elements as much as he did in NE.

I also don't necessarily agree with trick plays. Sure, the Pats do some of that but most of the time their trick plays were using formations and motion to put Edelman or Gronk in one on one coverage that allowed them to beat their man. But, they might do 1 trick play a game. Though last year, the number of "trick" plays went up, especially toward the end of the year. Some of that was on Brady's weaknesses but some of it was because their offensive weapons weren't good.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”