Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Cooter

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by Cooter »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:48 pm Colgate A Griffin Brown transferring to the Terps https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 1459819521
A nice pickup for the Terps.
Perhaps a little extra offensive insurance in case Bernhardt doesn't return.
Live Free or Die!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:13 pm
jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:48 pm Colgate A Griffin Brown transferring to the Terps https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 1459819521
Do you play him at midfield or attack? Does this signal that Bernhardt is not coming back? Maybe Masci is not coming back?

Brown is listed at 6-1, 185 lbs
I'm assuming this indicates Bernhardt isn't coming back, in which case Brown plays down at attack w/ Wisnauskas and probably Maltz.

Don't think it says much one way or the other about Masci, bc even if Bernhardt did decide to come back and Brown played midfield, Brown is a 1st midfeld guy; scored 34 goals in 2018 from the midfield and this year albeit at attack was on pace for over 50 points this year. I expect him to start wherever he plays.

Either way, it adds to the already burgeoning depth the Terps have and gives them a real good chance to run two legit midfield lines next year
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:27 pm
AreaLax wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:13 pm
Do you play him at midfield or attack? Does this signal that Bernhardt is not coming back? Maybe Masci is not coming back?

Brown is listed at 6-1, 185 lbs
I'm assuming this indicates Bernhardt isn't coming back, in which case Brown plays down at attack w/ Wisnauskas and probably Maltz.

Don't think it says much one way or the other about Masci, bc even if Bernhardt did decide to come back and Brown played midfield, Brown is a 1st midfeld guy; scored 34 goals in 2018 from the midfield and this year albeit at attack was on pace for over 50 points this year. I expect him to start wherever he plays.

Either way, it adds to the already burgeoning depth the Terps have and gives them a real good chance to run two legit midfield lines next year
How can a guy from Colgate start at Maryland. That’s impossible!
“I wish you would!”
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Brown is a solid player, really good shooter, but doesn’t create much on his own. Will be interesting to see who will stir the drink for the Terps if Bernhardt doesn’t come back. I guess it would be Bubba out of the midfield maybe.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:30 pm Brown is a solid player, really good shooter, but doesn’t create much on his own. Will be interesting to see who will stir the drink for the Terps if Bernhardt doesn’t come back. I guess it would be Bubba out of the midfield maybe.
Wisnauskas has already done it himself plenty of times the last two years. He's more than capable.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I tend to expect Brown to play midfield at UMd.
If Bernhardt returns, then Brown is fighting it out with Long and Brennan for the last spot on the first midfield. Long would be my guess.
If Bernhardt doesn't return, then I tend to think it might be between Brown and Brennan for the last spot on the first midfield.

That being said, the Terps bring in 3 top 20 freshmen on the offense. Jack Koras is pretty dynamic. But where are the games of the incoming freshmen going to be at after not playing this Spring? So Brown gives some insurance here to. If the incoming freshmen are not ready, you have a guy with 4 years of experience.

In the end, it is going to have to be decided on the practice fields.
Live Free or Die!
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

You don’t really think Tillman is done with transfers? He needs another 4 or 5 so he can force out his recruit misses. He’s got the formula down 6 in 6 out. :D
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cooter wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:19 pm I tend to expect Brown to play midfield at UMd.
If Bernhardt returns, then Brown is fighting it out with Long and Brennan for the last spot on the first midfield. Long would be my guess.
If Bernhardt doesn't return, then I tend to think it might be between Brown and Brennan for the last spot on the first midfield.

That being said, the Terps bring in 3 top 20 freshmen on the offense. Jack Koras is pretty dynamic. But where are the games of the incoming freshmen going to be at after not playing this Spring? So Brown gives some insurance here to. If the incoming freshmen are not ready, you have a guy with 4 years of experience.

In the end, it is going to have to be decided on the practice fields.
He obviously has the experience at midfield, but if we're assuming Long starts at attack instead....Brown has played attack more recently and been the top dog at attack for a team. Long hasn't played attack since high school; basically all his college experience has been at midfield. I think that plays a factor.

If Bernhardt comes back then yeah he'll start at midfield. I think he'd start over Brennan, he brings similar outside shooting but is a better dodger and creator for himself (see his game against Cuse's Nick Mellen this year.) But I see him at attack before Long. We'll see in time though
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:55 pm He obviously has the experience at midfield, but if we're assuming Long starts at attack instead....Brown has played attack more recently and been the top dog at attack for a team. Long hasn't played attack since high school; basically all his college experience has been at midfield. I think that plays a factor.
If we are talking about playing behind the goal, Long has as many career assists (18) as G.Brown does. Long does a lot of inverting when he plays midfield, so I don't see making the switch to attack as any problem for Long.
If Bernhardt comes back then yeah he'll start at midfield. I think he'd start over Brennan, he brings similar outside shooting but is a better dodger and creator for himself (see his game against Cuse's Nick Mellen this year.) But I see him at attack before Long. We'll see in time though
If Bernhardt comes back I would favor Long to start at midfield.

Let's not count out the incoming freshmen either. I would generally consider a player who was a HS AA for the MIAA as a junior as likely to start as a freshman in D1 (Jack Koras), an attackman who made the U-19 team as a likely to start in D1 (Daniel Kelly), and Eric Malever is inside lacrosse's #4 recruit.

I don't know how it will turn out, but if Bernhardt doesn't return, Griffin Brown is definitely in the mix for starting.
Live Free or Die!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cooter wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:40 am
jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:55 pm He obviously has the experience at midfield, but if we're assuming Long starts at attack instead....Brown has played attack more recently and been the top dog at attack for a team. Long hasn't played attack since high school; basically all his college experience has been at midfield. I think that plays a factor.
If we are talking about playing behind the goal, Long has as many career assists (18) as G.Brown does. Long does a lot of inverting when he plays midfield, so I don't see making the switch to attack as any problem for Long.
If Bernhardt comes back I would favor Long to start at midfield.

Let's not count out the incoming freshmen either. I would generally consider a player who was a HS AA for the MIAA as a junior as likely to start as a freshman in D1 (Jack Koras), an attackman who made the U-19 team as a likely to start in D1 (Daniel Kelly), and Eric Malever is inside lacrosse's #4 recruit.

I don't know how it will turn out, but if Bernhardt doesn't return, Griffin Brown is definitely in the mix for starting.
All the freshmen absolutely would normally be in contention to start. And still may! If one of them arrives and is just blowing the staff away he’ll start. But considering the depth and talent that’s already there, it’s hard to see them beating the guys who have experience out early on. Could see them getting a run on man-up (Kelly’s shooting could play here), and maybe they wind up being good enough that you can put them at midfield or let them rotate in as depth attackmen. That’d be a dream scenario though.

In the long run, I think they’re all gonna be starters and tremendous players who win lots of games. But man there hasn’t been this much competition for starting spots in awhile, just so much depth. Hard to break through
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:53 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:30 pm Brown is a solid player, really good shooter, but doesn’t create much on his own. Will be interesting to see who will stir the drink for the Terps if Bernhardt doesn’t come back. I guess it would be Bubba out of the midfield maybe.
Wisnauskas has already done it himself plenty of times the last two years. He's more than capable.
I don’t disagree that Wisnauskas has started to prove he can do it, should be interesting now that he has the be guarded by the #1. He just never has struck me as a guy who runs by guys. And if you put the ball in Logan’s stick more to create, it takes him out of what he really does well, by being on the back end of ball movement.

Should be interesting to watch Okeefe at PSU this year as well.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:00 am
I don’t disagree that Wisnauskas has started to prove he can do it, should be interesting now that he has the be guarded by the #1. He just never has struck me as a guy who runs by guys. And if you put the ball in Logan’s stick more to create, it takes him out of what he really does well, by being on the back end of ball movement.

He’s had far more assists than Bernhardt or anyone else on the team the last 1.25-1.5 seasons. At this point his passing ability has become just as much of what he does really well as shooting and finishing off of ball movement. He’s become a co-initiator of the offense with Bernhardt, but more often doing the feeding side of it than Jared, who dodges and scores as well as anyone
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:47 am
All the freshmen absolutely would normally be in contention to start. And still may! If one of them arrives and is just blowing the staff away he’ll start. But considering the depth and talent that’s already there, it’s hard to see them beating the guys who have experience out early on. Could see them getting a run on man-up (Kelly’s shooting could play here), and maybe they wind up being good enough that you can put them at midfield or let them rotate in as depth attackmen. That’d be a dream scenario though.

In the long run, I think they’re all gonna be starters and tremendous players who win lots of games. But man there hasn’t been this much competition for starting spots in awhile, just so much depth. Hard to break through
The way I see it
Sure starters - Bernhardt if he returns, A.DeMaio, Wisnauskas, and Fairman
that is either 3 or 4 of the 6 spots
Likely starters:
Kyle Long - entering his junior year and has been a consistent scorer (mostly assists) whenever he has been on the field
Danny Maltz - showed a lot of skill as a freshman, especially getting open on the crease, 18 points in 6 games.
Main competitors: (1 might start if Bernhardt doesn't return)
Jack Brennan - not a big scorer (9 points in 6 games at midfield), but looked like he belonged - sophomore
Griffin Brown - top offensive player at Colgate - extra senior
Shouldn't be ignored:
Jack Sawyer
Nick DeMaio
Incoming Freshmen at a level that often starts:
Jack Koras - HS AA in the MIAA as a junior, #18 in IL
Daniel Kelly - U-19 team, #11 in IL
Eric Malever - #4 in IL
Live Free or Die!
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:09 am
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:00 am

He’s had far more assists than Bernhardt or anyone else on the team the last 1.25-1.5 seasons. At this point his passing ability has become just as much of what he does really well as shooting and finishing off of ball movement. He’s become a co-initiator of the offense with Bernhardt, but more often doing the feeding side of it than Jared, who dodges and scores as well as anyone
I’m not going off of strictly assist numbers. He certainly has really good vision. I am talking about an ability to draw a slide and get the defense rotating. Logan may have benefited by getting covered by the #2 defenseman every game. Yes he has proven he can do it and is a great player but should be interesting to see if he can be the Alpha. I actually don’t think Jared is a great passer but he puts so much pressure on the D.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cooter wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:01 am
jrn19 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:47 am

The way I see it
Sure starters - Bernhardt if he returns, A.DeMaio, Wisnauskas, and Fairman
that is either 3 or 4 of the 6 spots
Likely starters:
Kyle Long - entering his junior year and has been a consistent scorer (mostly assists) whenever he has been on the field
Danny Maltz - showed a lot of skill as a freshman, especially getting open on the crease, 18 points in 6 games.
Main competitors: (1 might start if Bernhardt doesn't return)
Jack Brennan - not a big scorer (9 points in 6 games at midfield), but looked like he belonged - sophomore
Griffin Brown - top offensive player at Colgate - extra senior
Shouldn't be ignored:
Jack Sawyer
Nick DeMaio
Incoming Freshmen at a level that often starts:
Jack Koras - HS AA in the MIAA as a junior, #18 in IL
Daniel Kelly - U-19 team, #11 in IL
Eric Malever - #4 in IL
Don't disagree with any of this. There's def a Top 6-7 and then a still strong next 2-3 for a second midfield and also the incoming freshmen who will get their chance to push guys as well.

Do wonder what happens with guys like Sawyer and N. DeMaio, didn't get on the field really last year and now you bring in 3 elite recruits, plus a transfer. Maybe they just play a bunch of guys and they see time, but a lot of good players are gonna be left out to some degree.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Fly-Eagle--guess you didn't watch the Syracuse game? A guy named Mellen was matchup up against Brown, and he couldn't stop him. At all. Brown was a complete matchup problem for 'Cuse against their top cover guy. Until Mellen went out with an injury.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

And of those 12 not counting Bernhardt, 11 will potentially be available for two more seasons. Only Brown will have to leave after 2021. The rest are eligible to return. Can they all be happy?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Seahawk wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:06 pm And of those 12 not counting Bernhardt, 11 will potentially be available for two more seasons. Only Brown will have to leave after 2021. The rest are eligible to return. Can they all be happy?
That's the fun and good challenge to have. Though I doubt/wonder whether Wisnauskas and DeMaio come back for 2022, as they will be 5th year guys already next year.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:09 pm
Seahawk wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:06 pm And of those 12 not counting Bernhardt, 11 will potentially be available for two more seasons. Only Brown will have to leave after 2021. The rest are eligible to return. Can they all be happy?
That's the fun and good challenge to have. Though I doubt/wonder whether Wisnauskas and DeMaio come back for 2022, as they will be 5th year guys already next year.
Think it depends on how the season ends for Wisnauskas. Like just missing the championship. DeMaio may stick around to play with his brother.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

ctbagataway wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:18 am
Fly-Eagle--guess you didn't watch the Syracuse game? A guy named Mellen was matchup up against Brown, and he couldn't stop him. At all. Brown was a complete matchup problem for 'Cuse against their top cover guy. Until Mellen went out with an injury.
I did. Saw him physical dodge Mellen twice for goals. He’s a good player.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”