Cornell coach search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Cornell coach search

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Aside from the local ties that Buzcek has I wonder if Jeremy Hirsch might be ready to be an HC. Did a good job at Bart and Princeton was off to a fast start this year.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If Buczek is being promoted and Stevens is remaining an assistant, don't they still need to hire a new assistant? I guess they could elevate the volunteer position to an assistant, but that might technically count as a "hire" if he moves from an unpaid to a paid salary position. Either way it seems like they technically need to hire one more person.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

So what kind of record do you think your new HC will have to have to be given a real shot at the permanent position? While Milliman had success recruiting with the "interim" title, I think this something of a merry go round HC job may make recruiting a lot more difficult.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Doesn't matter, we're hiring Raymond in 2021! :lol:
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:57 pm Doesn't matter, we're hiring Raymond in 2021! :lol:
Why would he take a pay cut?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Gorges!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
calourie

Post by calourie »

CU77

Post by CU77 »

That's still based on just that one tweet from one reporter.

It would be nice if Andy Noel could bestir himself enough to issue an official statement now that his coach is vacating the premises.

And somebody should also tell him that the video on his bio page is defunct.

https://cornellbigred.com/staff-directory/andy-noel/2

Step it up Andy!!!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

One article that I read noted that the hire was confirmed by an Athletic Department spokesperson. Also, Coach Buczek sent an email postponing a "town hall" meeting that was scheduled for Monday evening.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I like that class,

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... ll/33/2020

Its a nice class, I followed that Rory Graham for a good while, it’ll be a better class with Buczek on board.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:14 pm If they go outside next year and don't make Buzcek permanent how many Cornell heads will explode.

FMU - 54-56 is less than .500 at a place that has a bunch of nat'l titles, Feds is > 60% at a place where Sid Jameison was barely above .500 and didn't give scholarship dough for a long time. Personally I'd take Polley anyway, but Feds has done more with less in the same conference. And since he had some home life issues has been interested in coming back to upstate NY. Sowell would just be taking a paycheck and probably have one foot out the door more than Petro did back in the day.
Agree to disagree...Navy hasn't been relevant since the early 2000's...and probably won't be relevant again. And, the Navy schedule is year-in, year-out much tougher than Bucknell's. Bucknell has never won an NCAA game(I don't believe). Love Fed, but is style is quirky, to say the least..
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I have no problem with the Buczek interim designation. Given the circumstances it's a prudent way to go...
-I think there's a chance that Milliman might have wanted to take Buczek with him and Buczek might have accepted (Hopkins pays more for the job, it's a higher profile assistant position, after x years in Ithaca, the Balt/DC metro area might be far more appealing). Think what happened to Tiffany's staff when he left Brown. They reside in Charlottesville now. This move precludes the possibility of losing Buzcek.
-Given the quick turnaround on the announcement, Buzcek can start contacting '20/21 commits and attempt to hold off prospective poachers. The 2020 class is Excellent.
-The Cornell powers-that-be will have a year to assess whether Buzcek is the right man for the job. Despite his youth, Buzcek will have a shot at the HC job.* He'll have to prove himself on several fronts:
a) Is he mature/precocious enough managerially at age 28/? to lead a high profile program at an Ivy League school? X's and O's won't be a consideration given his background - Team USA, MLL and Premier League, several years as an assistant).
b) Will he be a successful recruiter? He might be at a significant disadvantage - will parents of prospective recruits want to hitch their sons' star to a 28 year old?
c) How does the team perform in 2021?
d) Can he attract a seasoned staff?

My intuition is that unlike Hopkins, all other things being equal...Cornell would like to give the job to an alum. IF Buzcek passes muster on a-d above...or alternatively, IF a Kyle Georgalous is interested and gets the (anticipated) support from Albericci and Tambroni, I'd rate either a buy.
PS - the entire Buzcek discussion might be academic. That is, who knows if he even wants to make a career as a coach? He was an excellent student and has an MBA. Perhaps his plan has been to continue with lax as a player (pro) and coach for several years before embarking on a business career (think #10). Will the interim HC role prevent him from playing in the PLL or for Team USA?...
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Great post VeryRusty...many of my thoughts--although I'm not sure the players in the PLL are all that thrilled with the travelling circus approach(although that may change?). The bigger query you raised is this: Does Bruiser want a career in coaching? I know his dad is an advance scout for the Buffalo Bills, so maybe a sport career is what he wants. He may be the only coach with a undergraduate & graduate degree from an Ivy league school...
CU88

Post by CU88 »

by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Also worth noting is that Bucsek gets the "Moran" head coach title and Stevens the "Boiardi" associate head coach designation. After the recruiting disruptions that occurred with the Tambroni and DeLuca departures it was key to retain the two assistants, and, in doing so, one hopes to keep the terrific recruiting class due in this fall.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Good news that both are staying. I'm a little surprised that CB is the HC instead of JS, since JS had the named position before the PM departure.

But geez, could they be a bit nicer to PM? The only mention is the last paragraph:
"Milliman accepted the head coaching position at Johns Hopkins University on Monday. He posted a 28-10 record in three seasons at the helm of the Big Red program."
With no explanation of who this guy "Milliman" is/was.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Maybe I'm missing something but if Cornell is passing over on Stevens for Buczek, wouldn't that lead Stevens to believe that he'll never be a head coach at Cornell? How does making Buczek the Head Coach create security that Stevens won't leave, that Stevens won't join Milliman?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

All things being equal I’m happy to have our alums in the coaching positions, as not only does it engender loyalty to the school, but it provides instant credibility to the recruits about what they can expect being a Cornell lacrosse player. I think we’ll see a pretty seamless transition given the level of continuity. 2021 was already shaping up to be an interesting season.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:10 pm Maybe I'm missing something but if Cornell is passing over on Stevens for Buczek, wouldn't that lead Stevens to believe that he'll never be a head coach at Cornell? How does making Buczek the Head Coach create security that Stevens won't leave, that Stevens won't join Milliman?
We don't know what went on behind the scenes. My hope is that there was a 3-way conversation among CB, JS, and AN (that is, Cornell AD Andy Noel) that landed on this scheme, and that both coaches are good with it.

Meanwhile, at Hop, PM desperately needs at least one assistant (and 2 is better) who can help him navigate locally, both in terms of dealing with the myriad constituencies he now has, and with Baltimore area recruiting. So my guess is that he wouldn't want to bring either Cornell coach with him. If he did though, IMO it would more likely be CB. And this may be why CB is now the one-year (but don't call it interim!!) HC at Cornell.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”