Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:41 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:21 pm This press conference is a dumpster fire from a Hopkins fan perspective. He/baker have not uttered the words national championship or final four once in the first 20 minutes.
They just fired the guy you wanted them to fire and you're ALREADY complaining about the new guy five minutes after he was hired because he did not utter a meaningless buzz phrase in a YouTube conference call?

Based on this presser and from what I've heard/seen about Milliman in general, he seems to be less talk, more do. Show it to us on the field. You'd think that'd be an admirable trait in the new head coach given how many people here whined about bombastic purported goals of final fours and championships only for the team to fall short of those often.

IMO this is a microcosm of why Jen Baker doesn't seem to care much about what alums think. Some will just cry and whine no matter what, and about the dumbest things. The ones who genuinely support the program and want to see it succeed will at the very least give the new staff a chance to do so. Milliman was coming off a 5-0 season in which they were ranked #2 in the country and had just beaten Penn State. My guess is he has championship aspirations.
-In fairness you said there wouldn't be a press conference and frankly from those questions this wasn't much of one.
-She laughed at lf, but many of you have lacrosse national title rings and she doesn't.
-Xanders the self proclaimed recruiting maven didn't bother to ask the ad a question about her thoughts on if early recruiting contributed to the programs demise or what latitude the coach has on aid/admissions.
-For a program that has an atrium full of titles and built a building pointedly leaving room for more, you'd think winning would be a central talking point and that hasn't been in any of the interviews she's given or anything he said today. It's clear the vision here is more of a d3 program-let's make sure we recruit academically focused kids and if they can win a few games, go team.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:21 pm This press conference is a dumpster fire from a Hopkins fan perspective. He/baker have not uttered the words national championship or final four once in the first 20 minutes.
They just fired the guy you wanted them to fire and you're ALREADY complaining about the new guy five minutes after he was hired because he did not utter a meaningless buzz phrase in a YouTube conference call?

Based on this presser and from what I've heard/seen about Milliman in general, he seems to be less talk, more do. Show it to us on the field. You'd think that'd be an admirable trait in the new head coach given how many people here whined about bombastic purported goals of final fours and championships only for the team to fall short of those often.

IMO this is a microcosm of why Jen Baker doesn't seem to care much about what alums think. Some will just cry and whine no matter what, and about the dumbest things. The ones who genuinely support the program and want to see it succeed will at the very least give the new staff a chance to do so. Milliman was coming off a 5-0 season in which they were ranked #2 in the country and had just beaten Penn State. My guess is he has championship aspirations.
And that last game against PSU was quite wild (I was there). Good composure after blowing a huge lead...
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Yup
primitiveskills

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:53 pm

-In fairness you said there wouldn't be a press conference and frankly from those questions this wasn't much of one.
-She laughed at lf, but many of you have lacrosse national title rings and she doesn't.
-Xanders the self proclaimed recruiting maven didn't bother to ask the ad a question about her thoughts on if early recruiting contributed to the programs demise or what latitude the coach has on aid/admissions.
-For a program that has an atrium full of titles and built a building pointedly leaving room for more, you'd think winning would be a central talking point and that hasn't been in any of the interviews she's given or anything he said today. It's clear the vision here is more of a d3 program-let's make sure we recruit academically focused kids and if they can win a few games, go team.
Well, Xanders has a vested interest in people maintaining keen interest in 8th grade summer camp performance, so he's the least likely guy to ask a question critical of ER.
Last edited by primitiveskills on Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The recruiting process wasn’t a Division III recruiting process. Judge it by the results: the AD just signed one of the more highly regarded coaches from one of the most highly regarded lacrosse programs in Division I.

And you think that’s a Division III “vision?” :roll:

Get a grip. First, say “welcome” to Coach Milliman. Second, say “well done” to the AD. And third, say “calm down” to the guy you see in the mirror.

If I may give you a diagnosis, I think you are suffering from “Petro-Pelting Withdrawal” with associated “National Championship Anxiety Disorder”.

I am prescribing you some fine aged bourbon, neat.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:14 pm

Well, Xanders has a vested interest in people maintaining keen interest in 8th grade summer camp performance, so he's the least likely guy to ask a question critical of ER.
Right. We are not talking Grantland Rice or Gary Smith here. :oops: :oops:
AustinDangerPowers

Post by AustinDangerPowers »

The guy has had one video press conference and the alumni are losing their minds. It’s really sad and concerning to see to be honest.

I think it’s imperative that everyone, whether it’s former players, alumni, or simply fans of the program like myself give him the support that he needs. It’s not going to be an overnight success story, there will more than likely be an adjustment period but I think this guy can truly bring a tremendous amount of success to the program.

I want Hopkins to be what it was when I was growing up: Saturday nights at Homewood in 2005 when there wasn’t a seat available. Championship weekend trips no matter where it was being held. We HAVE to give Milliman the full support necessary to get him there, and I sincerely hope the alumni, former players and the institution put him in a position to be successful. I understand it was a bit of a surprise hire and he has no ties to the program....that doesn’t mean that he can’t come in and do great things here.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

AustinDangerPowers wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:57 pm The guy has had one video press conference and the alumni are losing their minds. It’s really sad and concerning to see to be honest.
Let's get it straight, there is all of 1 guy complaining after 1 videoconference right now, and he lost his mind long ago.

I agree it is time for family of ex-players who became friends of the past staff who couldn't give a damn about the program otherwise, to probably shut their twitter-holes. :roll:
Last edited by Catbird on Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Catbird wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:14 am Another hope - maybe the turmoil will clear out the dead wood including the guy who decided the reserved section needed assigned seating. :lol:
+1. Dead wood includes the guy who climbed into the stands and ordered me to turn off my camera at the alumni scrimmage.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Hoponboard wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:26 pm
Catbird wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:14 am Another hope - maybe the turmoil will clear out the dead wood including the guy who decided the reserved section needed assigned seating. :lol:
+1. Dead wood includes the guy who climbed into the stands and ordered me to turn off my camera at the alumni scrimmage.
Quint touched on something similar briefly on the IL podcast with Terry Foy - and he is right about - the need to open up the school and program some to the ESPNU (and other) cameras which would function as a recruiting tool.
primitiveskills

Catbird wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:31 pm
Quint touched on something similar briefly on the IL podcast with Terry Foy - and he is right about - the need to open up the school and program some to the ESPNU (and other) cameras which would function as a recruiting tool.
This. JHU has a platform unique amongst D1 lacrosse programs, and Petro squandered it out of pointless paranoia.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

What is the story here with cameras? (Just curious)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I hope Coach Milliman takes on the “Joey Epstein Approach” to filming, namely:

I have practiced the same moves countless times since the 8th grade. You know what I will do. It doesn’t matter. You can’t stop me.

Open up practices. Let them film. Wear your actual jersey numbers in scrimmages. Let the entire world know what you’re going to do. Then dare them to stop you.

No well-coached team depends on secrecy or gimmicks to win.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:00 pm What is the story here with cameras? (Just curious)
Hoponboard has been filming fall ball and spring scrimmage highlights for many years. Always something the diehards here looked forward to. This most recent season they inexplicably asked him to stop filming—can only assume they thought it provided opponents an opportunity to scout the Jays before the season started but given the 2-4 start it doesn't seem as though the footage was the difference. :lol:
primitiveskills

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:04 pm

I have practiced the same moves countless times since the 8th grade. You know what I will do. It doesn’t matter. You can’t stop me.

Open up practices. Let them film. Wear your actual jersey numbers in scrimmages. Let the entire world know what you’re going to do. Then dare them to stop you.

No well-coached team depends on secrecy or gimmicks to win.

DocBarrister 8-)
I agree. There was no competitive advantage that was gained by Petro's approach. It only alienated fans.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

No well-coached team depends on secrecy or gimmicks to win

DocBarrister 8-)
Who was Petro's hooded best friend and coaching mentor from the NFL?

Who relied very heavily on secrecy and gimmicks....

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patr ... story.html

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015 ... story.html
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

What I heard from Jen was mostly smoke, smoke, smoke....
Hey, it's a good skill to have. But I think the hire itself spoke volumes.
The fortunes of coach and AD are tied together now.
It's best to be supportive, lest the New Coach does well here, but gets so fed up with alumni he decides to move on.
If he does not do well, Jen has showed the ability to show someone the door unceremoniously.

I liked that Ed Lee asked pointed questions. Perhaps he reads our board?
QK was silent. Why? I would love to have been able to ask questions......

Coach needs to take a look at that transfer portal ASAP. Other coaches are already getting good players. Can't really afford to wait here.
Assess the current team fast, and decide who you need.
hint: You need a GOALIE!
primitiveskills

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:21 pm

DocBarrister 8-)

No doubt he took lessons from Bill. Of course, the NFL media machine is massive and pervasive, so Bill's shtick becomes just an entertaining subplot. For Hopkins lacrosse, it was a massive exposure opportunity lost.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:21 pm

DocBarrister 8-)

That’s the thing ... the Patriots really did not depend on their tricks and mischief to win. Tom Brady would have been great whether or not he had those footballs deflated. New England under Belichick was the last team that needed secrecy and gimmicks to win. They could have put their entire playbook online and they would have still won. That’s what made the cheating so petty and sad.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:26 pm

What I heard from Jen was mostly smoke, smoke, smoke....
Hey, it's a good skill to have. But I think the hire itself spoke volumes.
The fortunes of coach and AD are tied together now.
It's best to be supportive, lest the New Coach does well here, but gets so fed up with alumni he decides to move on.
If he does not do well, Jen has showed the ability to show someone the door unceremoniously.

I liked that Ed Lee asked pointed questions. Perhaps he reads our board?
QK was silent. Why? I would love to have been able to ask questions......

Coach needs to take a look at that transfer portal ASAP. Other coaches are already getting good players. Can't really afford to wait here.
Assess the current team fast, and decide who you need.
hint: You need a GOALIE!
I’m sure Coach Milliman has already been on the phone with recruits and potential transfers ... needless to mention current players.

Looking back and forward, the decision to make a change was timely, the search very efficient, and the hiring decision very quick. Have to commend our AD.

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”