Cornell coach search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Cornell coach search

Post by Matnum PI »

Give Buczek the Head Coach job and they don't need to worry about losing him to JHU...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
ZulbertiSocks

Post by ZulbertiSocks »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:28 am I would think they go for an Upstate guy. Nads or Chemotti?
Nads ain't going anywhere! That much was made clear when he gave Hopkins the finger last week. I guess it took that process for him to realize that he's got it pretty good at Towson. Pension, the wife is a professor there, etc.
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

While I'd hate to see it (as a Quaker), I think the Big Red might look to Penn's current assistant coach (actual title is associate head coach) Mike Abbott.

Abbott is no stranger to #315. I believe he is from there, played at Cortland and UVA (transfer), coached at Cortland for five years and spent seven years at Colgate (where they saw some of their best years and highest scoring offenses) before he came to Penn and light the fire in that offense. Given his last two stints (Patriot and Ivy) there is a good chance he knows how to recruit to upper tier academic institutions.

https://pennathletics.com/sports/mens-l ... bbott/2631
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I do not understand at all the notion that Cornell should hire a coach who was recently fired because his team was underperforming.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

What do you think of Fedorjaka? He’s been trying to get back to Upstate NY for a few years, coaches are a solid academic school and has demonstrated success at Bucknell
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:27 pm I do not understand at all the notion that Cornell should hire a coach who was recently fired because his team was underperforming.
Body of work should count for something? Heck PM has had one class of athletes and he snagged a job at one of the most high profile lax programs in the country. I think it is fair to say that PM is still unproven. Very difficult to maintain a HIGH level of success...ask Desko, Starsia, Petro, Breschi... Petro even alluded to that fact in his podcast with Carc. Look at Nadelen, has Towson rolling and next thing you know he is 0-5, looking at 2 more losses until the Covid-19 pandemic allowed him to thankfully forget about 2020.

The Mike Abbott thought is interesting & he is definitely ready to captain his own ship!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Go right up the road and drag this guy out of retirement (from coaching).
How could he turn down the big bucks and security Cornell has to offer?
https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2018/06 ... asons.html
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:39 pm Go right up the road and drag this guy out of retirement (from coaching).
How could he turn down the big bucks and security Cornell has to offer?
https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2018/06 ... asons.html
Well, Cornell sure does have an affinity for Statesmen!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:30 pm What do you think of Fedorjaka? He’s been trying to get back to Upstate NY for a few years, coaches are a solid academic school and has demonstrated success at Bucknell
That would not be a bad hire at all.
I could see Coach F having an improvement over his results, much like Danowski's move improved his record from mid major Hofstra to big-school Duke.
Danowski has had ridiculous success since his move, so maybe not to that extent, but I could certainly see him having a major improvement over his solid results at Bucknell if given the reigns of a program of Cornell's stature.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

No word from Andy Noel yet on what the plan is …
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:04 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:30 pm What do you think of Fedorjaka? He’s been trying to get back to Upstate NY for a few years, coaches are a solid academic school and has demonstrated success at Bucknell
I could see Coach F having an improvement over his results, much like Danowski's move improved his record from mid major Hofstra to big-school Duke.
Danowski has had ridiculous success since his move, so maybe not to that extent, but I could certainly see him having a major improvement over his solid results at Bucknell if given the reigns of a program of Cornell's stature.
Coach F :o Another Hobart guy??! Geez, he's been to one NCAA tournament in his career(0-1). If CU sticks to their script, they'll promote an assistant to the "interim" HC position. Still like Mike Abbott or Sowell(he has won tourney games, even at Navy) over promoting an assistant or Coach F. What about Lelan Rogers? Ryan Wellner? Coach Raab? Cornell is a coveted job and the interest will be sky high.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Kyle Georgalas looks intriguing. I like his history at Cornell as a player and assistant coach. He was a teammate of George Boiardi and captain on the 2005 Big Red team that went 11-2 before losing to Duke in NCAA quarters. He was first team All-Ivy and honorable mention All-American on defense. His 5 years as assistant coach with Tambroni included the 2007 team that went 15-1 and the 2009 NCAA Final.

Reading his bio at Army, he was elevated to Associate Head Coach by Joe Alberici in 2017. He's experienced coaching both ends of the field, as well as face-off, goalkeeper and has experience on the recruiting trail.

I hope he's thinking about the next step in his coaching career.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Absolute no to Sowell from me. Hiring a coach recently fired for underperformance of his team is ridiculous, unless you want a team that underperforms.

And Sowell is cut from the same cloth as Kerwick (they were assistants together at GU): roll out the ball and let them play. It didn't work for Kerwick at Cornell, and it didn't work for Sowell at Navy. I do NOT want to see round 3.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:19 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:04 pm
Coach F :o Another Hobart guy??! Geez, he's been to one NCAA tournament in his career(0-1). If CU sticks to their script, they'll promote an assistant to the "interim" HC position. Still like Mike Abbott or Sowell(he has won tourney games, even at Navy) over promoting an assistant or Coach F. What about Lelan Rogers? Ryan Wellner? Coach Raab? Cornell is a coveted job and the interest will be sky high.
Don’t think there’s a guy on staff that makes sense to promote from within. Buczek has done a really great job with the offense the last few years but it’s still only 3 years as a real assistant; I’m not sure that’s enough experience to get you a job like this one. Same with Stevens.

So I think they follow the same mold, but look outside, look for someone young, first head coaching job, upside. Georgalas fits the bill, especially as an alum and former assistant. Abbott would make sense as well, and has the Ivy experience.

Maybe they choose to buck the trend bc of how things have gone; but you do wonder, as big of a program as it is and the tradition it has, when 3 of the last 5 coaches there have left it for another job....how coveted is it?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

The truth (at least IMO) is that the job is not all that coveted. There were rumors that Cassese had turned it down when Kerwick was promoted from interim. And in general, proven coaching talent flows out of the Ivys, not in: Petro, Tambro, Starsia, Tillman, Tierney, Tiffany, Milliman … the beat goes on.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:34 pm Absolute no to Sowell from me. Hiring a coach recently fired for underperformance of his team is ridiculous, unless you want a team that underperforms.

And Sowell is cut from the same cloth as Kerwick (they were assistants together at GU): roll out the ball and let them play. It didn't work for Kerwick at Cornell, and it didn't work for Sowell at Navy. I do NOT want to see round 3.
Are Buczek & Stevens of the same cloth? Benson and Dwan? Danowski & Caputo? Sowell & Kerwick are night and day. Nonetheless, please give Andy you uninformed opinion. Would love to see 3 Cornell alums coaching the Red next year-so would their opponents ;)
DMac

Post by DMac »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:34 pm Absolute no to Sowell from me. Hiring a coach recently fired for underperformance of his team is ridiculous, unless you want a team that underperforms.

+100
CU77

Post by CU77 »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:00 pmAre Buczek & Stevens of the same cloth? Benson and Dwan? Danowski & Caputo?
IMO, Kerwick & Sowell both under-plan. That's my personal observation from years of watching their teams play. That's why I said they're "cut from the same cloth". Does that have anything to do with serving together under the same HC? Maybe, maybe not.
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

Totally agree that going in house would not be wise. Yes, the offense has been good under Buczek the past 3 years, but how much of that has to do with having a guy like Teat around. The fact that he couldn't come up with a legitimate counter to defenses who employed a basic shut off makes me question his X's and O's acumen. Seems like a stretch to promote a 2nd assistant to HC with such a limited track record.

As for Stevens, the defense was atrocious the last two years, plain an simple. We all know the team was hamstrung by poor play at the FO X, but you still need to make stops and their defensive efficiency ratings were not pretty.

Find a great young assistant who is hungry and ready to make a name for himself. There are a lot out there. Georgalas seems like a shoe in for a look given his background. I think Kirwan would also be high on the list, given his experience at Brown.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:04 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:00 pmAre Buczek & Stevens of the same cloth? Benson and Dwan? Danowski & Caputo?
IMO, Kerwick & Sowell both under-plan. That's my personal observation from years of watching their teams play. That's why I said they're "cut from the same cloth". Does that have anything to do with serving together under the same HC? Maybe, maybe not.
I see your point, but Sowell has done far more with less than Kerwick. Dartmouth went to the NCAA under Sowell(hasn't happened since). Stony Brook took UVA to the end in a 1/4 final NCAA game under him. And Navy, while a less than stellar run, did get to the tournament and lost to Brown by a goal(I think)in the quarters. 3 different teams, but solid results. Kerwick has not had the same success in Div 1 coaching.

I like the Mike Abbott hire. Young but experienced & has a great offensive mind.
Last edited by FMUBart on Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”