Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
steel_hop

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by steel_hop »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:21 am
Mightyjoe wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:04 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:56 pm
I guess I don't really get the "dopey Bobby"/stat boy/benchwarmer jokes. Did he steal your girlfriend or something? The guy is #7 all time in goals scored at Hopkins.
Another Bobby Fan. 7. Oh yeah, that’s about what his offense averaged his last season at Hopkins per game. That stat I’ll remember. #7 all time goal guys apparently don’t make the all time great coach list.
I'm going with stole his girlfriend and killed his dog.

For the record, these are the stats from Bobby's last fullyear: https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... stats/2019 Not bad for the total incompetent you seem to think he was.

I've been critical of BB in the past, but I do try to let facts get in the way of my arguments.
Well, you are pointing to a year where they ended up 23rd in GFs and average 12.13 goals a game. That was a drop from 2018 when Hopkins was 11th and score 11.91. Of course, even though the numbers were up slightly, goals scored in all games were up because of the change to the shot clock.

Benson's biggest issue was that made poor in-game adjustments. If a team took away the game plan or made adjustments to his plan he never seemed to have answers. He was the OC of a Hopkins offense where the team put up a total of 2 goals against Navy in 2012. And let's not forget the 4 goal game against Loyola on Homecoming in 2013 (with a very senior laden team)

Also, along with Petro he was too loyal to guys that didn't seem to produce. While Petro is the HC, Benson should have control over what players go on to the field and sub patterns. How many times was the issue raised about player X not producing when player Y demonstrated a ton of skill. We can look at Angelus and Murphy this year but it has been an issue forever - See Dismuke over Smith and Williams.

As I've said before DP's loyalty was one of his greatest strengths but also his greatest weaknesses. Given the issues in the program over the last decade he should have made changes to his staff long before Hopkins was required to make changes. I've also said it before, if Benson was so good at his job, he would have been HC somewhere else. But, his name never seemed to come up for jobs. That tells me most schools thought the same way about Benson as most on here did.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Mightyjoe wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:35 pm
Homer wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:24 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:21 pm
Mightyjoe wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:14 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:38 pm
Mightyjoe wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:43 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:11 pm Any chance Teat comes along for the ride? Epstein, Teat, Grimes, Murphy would be fun to watch.
Let's work with what we got and/or who we got coming in. Why bring outsiders. Epstein, Grimes and Murphy will be more "fun to watch".
I doubt Teat comes back for another year, but if a former First Team All-American attackmen wants to join your squad, "why bring in outsiders" should not be your mindset; the mindset should be "welcome"
Apparently you never played a team sport. Does bringing a top guy in from the school the new head coach is from for a fifth year sound like success to you?
Yes
Beat me to it
You guys must have been the bench warmers when you played. The guys that looked up to the ones that were really part of the team. While those fought for time and position, you were making sure the team’s stats were recorded correctly while you wore a team jersey with the # nobody wanted. Now I get it.
williams in portal, teat with an extra year to spare.... in a beat they're probably one of the top scoring teams in the country. for this day and age, that matters. he also just happens to be a guy whose best attribute is setting teammates up, and working hard might be 2nd. doesn't sound like a tough choice if it were available.

sounds too easy, though.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Why is anyone still dumping on Benson? He's gone. You don't have to worry about him anymore. Time to show some class and move on.

Quint has some thoughts about Milliman, which he says will either be "a stroke of genius or a catastrophic mistake."

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... rdog/56350
Milliman's ability to evaluate high school talent and recruit are his greatest strengths. The traits of Milliman-coached teams are:

commitment to a lifestyle of excellence
hard hat work ethic
skilled orator with a strong and focused message
"I love you guys" vibe
embraced Cornell traditions
high-scoring approach, out score teams
unselfish, passing offense
relentless pace — no hesitation
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:58 am Why is anyone still dumping on Benson? He's gone. You don't have to worry about him anymore. Time to show some class and move on.

Quint has some thoughts about Milliman, which he says will either be "a stroke of genius or a catastrophic mistake."

Milliman's ability to evaluate high school talent and recruit are his greatest strengths. The traits of Milliman-coached teams are:

hard hat work ethic
"I love you guys" vibe
At least Quint didn't say, "...take that one step to greatness.." :roll:
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:01 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:58 am Why is anyone still dumping on Benson? He's gone. You don't have to worry about him anymore. Time to show some class and move on.

hard hat work ethic
"I love you guys" vibe
At least Quint didn't say, "...take that one step to greatness.." :roll:
The 2019 results were less stellar. The Big Red struggled to win face-offs. The defense didn't make stops; they were undisciplined and committed penalties and weren't strong in the middle of the field. They were on the outer bubble on Selection Sunday, the most talented team to be excluded.
So they were essentially Hopkins in 2019 but Hopkins name got them in because they were an outside bubble team in 2019 but made the tournament.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

NOVALax2015 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:06 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:43 am Wow, this guy Milliman is intense!
God help you if you miss a ground ball on his team.
For the players who stay, the serious ones, he could take the program to new heights.
Which isn't saying much given it's recent level of success.
I can't debate the wisdom of choosing a 5-0 Coach over a 0-5 Coach.
Maybe we'll see some quality play on Homewood field for a change. Hope Mr. Pete knows where he can scrounge up a goalie.
Psychology is more important to G than any other position - failure begets failure and success begets success. If performance elsewhere on the field improves, goalie performance will improve directly (better D means fewer opposing quality shots) and indirectly (G mindset).
hmm, and vice versa.
A goalie who withstands chaos can lift his team.

You are right, psychology is immensely important. And it is infectious.

If a goalie plays with confidence, no matter the chaos, it inspires his teammates to play confidently, take more risks rather than to be on their heels. This feeds the other way as well. If teammates are 'going for it' fiercely, taking purposeful risks, it inspires the tender to be his best when the inevitable breakdowns happen.

Of course, it's also very easy to hear negative voices.
To be on one's heels. To tense up, rather than be loose and focused at the same time.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Press release: https://hopkinssports.com/news/2020/4/2 ... coach.aspx

Press conference at 12pm on the Hopkins Sports YouTube channel
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:22 am
NOVALax2015 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:06 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:43 am Wow, this guy Milliman is intense!
God help you if you miss a ground ball on his team.
For the players who stay, the serious ones, he could take the program to new heights.
Which isn't saying much given it's recent level of success.
I can't debate the wisdom of choosing a 5-0 Coach over a 0-5 Coach.
Maybe we'll see some quality play on Homewood field for a change. Hope Mr. Pete knows where he can scrounge up a goalie.
Psychology is more important to G than any other position - failure begets failure and success begets success. If performance elsewhere on the field improves, goalie performance will improve directly (better D means fewer opposing quality shots) and indirectly (G mindset).
hmm, and vice versa.
A goalie who withstands chaos can lift his team.

You are right, psychology is immensely important. And it is infectious.

If a goalie plays with confidence, no matter the chaos, it inspires his teammates to play confidently, take more risks rather than to be on their heels. This feeds the other way as well. If teammates are 'going for it' fiercely, taking purposeful risks, it inspires the tender to be his best when the inevitable breakdowns happen.

Of course, it's also very easy to hear negative voices.
To be on one's heels. To tense up, rather than be loose and focused at the same time.
Absolutely agree, and didn't mean to imply otherwise!
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

This story seems like Quint has some major reservations about this hire, setting the bar unrealistically high.
Tweak the schedule by dropping Delaware while renewing UVA and an Ivy
Delaware be like- "Whaaaaaa????"

Seems like they should hold onto Delaware for the time being until the roster improves...

The remaining seems like Quint was putting on the hat of an alumn, who is not happy about this hire:
develop a community service plan that activates student athletes in Baltimore city and Hopkins Hospital
leverage the Big Ten for a fair share of affiliate television revenue
maximize relationship with ESPNU
engage the student body
unlock financial aid packages to compete with the Ivies
create and host a summer recruiting camp concept that is unique
All nice to have, but if Petro couldn't do it, how will Pete?
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Quint should have followed the 24x3 rule.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Catbird wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:37 am
jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:49 pm
Cornell Willis@HopkinsLaxPhan3h I will not make any public statements about what's going on within the Hopkins Family. While the facts are public, our reactions and thoughts will remain private. This is a Family affair. #GoHop
I would like to say, in the nicest way possible, Cornell Willis can talk a long walk off a short pier. Maybe we get extra lucky and this guy stops being the "face" of the fanbase. He does not speak for anyone but himself.

Rabil apparently is content with mediocrity in his rear view mirror as long as he gets to put his feet up in the old coaches' office and tell war stories; would think the guy who wants to win would understand but is probably too close to the situation for clarity.

For the record - I've been siting in Section 107 with my family long before anyone knew what a Cornell Willis was, and I actually did graduate from JHU (in the same class as Rabil). Alot of you will remember me from the old forum, accepting PM guesses.

Anyone who is more worried about winning and less about their clout and whether their key to the Cordish Center still works would like to give Coach M a chance to do great things here.
Maybe this is a good time for Cornell to find a new obsession
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

thatsmell wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:51 am

This story seems like Quint has some major reservations about this hire, setting the bar unrealistically high.
Tweak the schedule,
That three game stretch, those three teams were a combined 17 and 0.
How much tweaking is there to do ?
viper

Post by viper »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:49 pm -Sour. Team Rabil who are obsessed w/social media are radio silent on Millman+throwing shade at Baker. Time to rally around the flag like a big boy.
-news conference tomorrow at 930am. from the hop twitter.
-No way Nadelen turned down Hopkins for towson. Nice school towson is but no one chooses to stay at Youngstown state football over ohio state or unc ashville for duke hoops especially when the latter is their alma mater.

(posted an hour after millman announcement) Paul Rabil @PaulRabil At some point soon we’re going to see a program land @CoachPetro43 Shortly after that they’ll soar to the top of the national rankings — but only after they jump to the top of every wishlist for lacrosse recruits nationwide."

Mike Rabil @MichaelRabil 4h Replying to @PaulRabil and @CoachPetro43 Long memory on this one.

Cornell Willis@HopkinsLaxPhan3h I will not make any public statements about what's going on within the Hopkins Family. While the facts are public, our reactions and thoughts will remain private. This is a Family affair. #GoHop
Not sure where to start on this one. Mr. Willis certainly has the right to air whatever opinion he wants. Just because someone sits in the stands and gets camera time for their often foolish antics - doesn't mean those opinions are worth a damn or that anyone cares what they think. Otherwise Harbaugh and the Angelos family would have taken lots of my fantastic advice over the last few years. It's just hard for me to stomach him "trying to be the face of a University" that he has nothing to do with.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Seems like they should hold onto Delaware for the time being until the roster improves...

The remaining seems like Quint was putting on the hat of an alumn, who is not happy about this hire:
develop a community service plan that activates student athletes in Baltimore city and Hopkins Hospital
engage the student body
You left this part out from Q: Milliman's greatest challenge will be to deal with the bloated external expectations that aren't in line with the talent level on his roster.

Clearly directed at the posters here who insisted that Hopkins had FF talent the last few years, and the team was simply "coached wrong"......
viper

Post by viper »

a fan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:34 am

engage the student body
You left this part out from Q: Milliman's greatest challenge will be to deal with the bloated external expectations that aren't in line with the talent level on his roster.

Clearly directed at the posters here who insisted that Hopkins had FF talent the last few years, and the team was simply "coached wrong"......
I think the situation was more complicated that a 1-dimensional "it was the coaches" or "it was the talent" issue. It was a combination of alot of issues. Ultimately - the decreasing ability to compete on the field (with documented results) would have resulted in scrutinization among any program wishing to remain competitive. Coach's teams were not producing - and it reflected on him for whatever reason(s) you want. As such - a change had to be made. Now we all will get to see if it makes a difference.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

viper wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:46 am
I think the situation was more complicated that a 1-dimensional "it was the coaches" or "it was the talent" issue. It was a combination of alot of issues. Ultimately - the decreasing ability to compete on the field (with documented results) would have resulted in scrutinization among any program wishing to remain competitive. Coach's teams were not producing - and it reflected on him for whatever reason(s) you want. As such - a change had to be made. Now we all will get to see if it makes a difference.
Well they certainly made a dramatic change. If they had hired Nads or Raymond, it would have been another coach off the Petro tree.
For clarification they went in a totally different direction here. This certainly sheds light on their thinking processes.

Pete will need to hit the ground running, virtually. He needs to act quickly to put together a staff and grab whatever he can from the transfer portal. He needs to get a goalie from somewhere. And he needs to do it all virtually. I do not envy him.
I wish him well and best success though.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

This press conference is a dumpster fire from a Hopkins fan perspective. He/baker have not uttered the words national championship or final four once in the first 20 minutes.
a fan

Post by a fan »

viper wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:46 am I think the situation was more complicated that a 1-dimensional "it was the coaches" or "it was the talent" issue. It was a combination of alot of issues. Ultimately - the decreasing ability to compete on the field (with documented results) would have resulted in scrutinization among any program wishing to remain competitive. Coach's teams were not producing - and it reflected on him for whatever reason(s) you want. As such - a change had to be made. Now we all will get to see if it makes a difference.
I agree 100% that posters like you saw the situation was more complicated.

But there have been a TON of posters over the years, pointing to IL, and claiming superior talent at Hopkins all these years.

For me personally, the only explanation I can came up with that supports this view is if you ONLY watched Hopkins games, and had no idea as to Hopkins' relative lack of talent.

Same goes for my favored Orange. Desko hasn't had the talent for years.....until just this year. It was EASY to see that other programs had better players when compared with what Desko was bringing to campus.

The whole of D1 is in complete chaos now because of the virus. Parents of current senior recruits cannot count on campus being open this fall. Then you have all the 5th and 6th years in every class.

It's a mess.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:00 am Quint should have followed the 24x3 rule.
+1
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:21 pm This press conference is a dumpster fire from a Hopkins fan perspective. He/baker have not uttered the words national championship or final four once in the first 20 minutes.
They just fired the guy you wanted them to fire and you're ALREADY complaining about the new guy five minutes after he was hired because he did not utter a meaningless buzz phrase in a YouTube conference call?

Based on this presser and from what I've heard/seen about Milliman in general, he seems to be less talk, more do. Show it to us on the field. You'd think that'd be an admirable trait in the new head coach given how many people here whined about bombastic purported goals of final fours and championships only for the team to fall short of those often.

IMO this is a microcosm of why Jen Baker doesn't seem to care much about what alums think. Some will just cry and whine no matter what, and about the dumbest things. The ones who genuinely support the program and want to see it succeed will at the very least give the new staff a chance to do so. Milliman was coming off a 5-0 season in which they were ranked #2 in the country and had just beaten Penn State. My guess is he has championship aspirations.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”