The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Peter Brown

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:12 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:05 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:00 am not exactly persuasive, PB.

Am I supposed to write long, drawn-out theses now? :lol:

Hey, I really don't care if you guys are long or short the market. I know what looks probable, not certain, and that's how I calibrate investments, both into managers as well as style, as well as personal stuff like real estate.

America always wins provided we have a stable SCOTUS. That's my one and only answer for everything on this board and elsewhere no matter the topic. If you had 9 Neil Gorsuch's and zero Sotomajor's, everyone here would sleep better and everyone's portfolios would be significantly more stable. If you need to understand why, you probably haven't accomplished much in life.

Back to work!!!!
yup, double down on lack of actual rationale.
No actual clue on economics.
Just trolling re politics.

A "stable SCOTUS" would be "9 Neil Gorsuch's"... :roll:

BTW, I think we know what you do for a living, but what did your dad do after Loyola?

Founded a reinsurance Company acquired by what's now Travelers Insurance.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:36 am You just google stuff to reply don’t you. Now you know way more than everyone in my world in finance too? I bow down to you as omniscient supreme expert on all. M

I’ve seen the letter and have a personal relationship w Bill Ackman and many others. Those letters are like the ones people get from the president when they hit their 100th birthday.

Clue: professional financial folks watch Bloomberg, if any financial TV, CNBC is for retirees playing around in the stock market and neophyte children who want to play in the market.

What are you talking about? My link is a CNBC report on Warren Buffett saying the Dow will hit 1,000,000.

I'm guessing you didn't bother to click the link.

“Being short America has been a loser’s game. I predict to you it will continue to be a loser’s game,” he said. None of them, he said, had bet against U.S. growth. “It has been 241 years since Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence,” Buffett said. “Being short America has been a loser’s game. I predict to you it will continue to be a loser’s game.”

"Warren Buffett predicts the Dow will hit 1 million and that may actually be pessimistic"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Because as I said, CNBC is retail not institutional.

You claimed to have direct communication, not stupid mass produced investor letters. turd, I write a couple as outsourced IR for two small funds in GA as part of my consulting hustle. Boring but steady income and plug and play off a template more or less.

And for the record Warren Buffett is majority shareholder, de facto owner but not technically, of a publicly traded conglomerate holding company of investments in businesses, typically takes operational control, NOT a hedge fund. Just kind of proves the nonsense your writing on this topic.

Of course we are a long biased financial industry, that’s how comp is benchmarked and people get paid for 95% of the universe. It’s supplying capital to operating businesses at a lower cost by agreeing to certain rules (except Elon Musk apparently) that create liquidity and a broader investor universe. That quote is meaningless to actual participants. Notwithstanding, shorts provide a critical and ultra important price discovery function that if we didn’t have would reduce liquidity and lower market values for all marketplace traded equities.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:36 am You just google stuff to reply don’t you. Now you know way more than everyone in my world in finance too? I bow down to you as omniscient supreme expert on all. M

I’ve seen the letter and have a personal relationship w Bill Ackman and many others. Those letters are like the ones people get from the president when they hit their 100th birthday.

Clue: professional financial folks watch Bloomberg, if any financial TV, CNBC is for retirees playing around in the stock market and neophyte children who want to play in the market.
+1
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:04 am Because as I said, CNBC is retail not institutional.

You claimed to have direct communication, not stupid mass produced investor letters. turd, I write a couple as outsourced IR for two small funds in GA as part of my consulting hustle. Boring but steady income and plug and play off a template more or less.

And for the record Warren Buffett is majority shareholder, de facto owner but not technically, of a publicly traded conglomerate holding company of investments in businesses, typically takes operational control, NOT a hedge fund. Just kind of proves the nonsense your writing on this topic.

Of course we are a long biased financial industry, that’s how comp is benchmarked and people get paid for 95% of the universe. It’s supplying capital to operating businesses at a lower cost by agreeing to certain rules (except Elon Musk apparently) that create liquidity and a broader investor universe. That quote is meaningless to actual participants. Notwithstanding, shorts provide a critical and ultra important price discovery function that if we didn’t have would reduce liquidity and lower market values for all marketplace traded equities.

:lol: :lol:

If it’s better for you, just believe I don’t personally know any hedge fund managers.

:lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yes it makes my life different in some meaningful way. Actually Im more concerned anyone would believe the dumb things you write about finance and make a bad personal decision on it but otherwise I just think you make up a ton of stuff, intentionally conflate and obfuscate in a highly dishonest manner tantamount to outright lying and therefor don’t see any value in any of your posts that aren’t making fun of Hopkins.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:22 am Not even worth the time to read these kinds of replies; they show a fundamental disconnect with both private enterprise and human connection.
:lol: So Boeing is doing just great, and didn't send out a product that, to put it politely.....doesn't work.

And at some point, you'll have to explain to the board not only why you CHOSE to attende a Government Owned and Operated University....

....but also why the education you received there wasn't exponentially worse than the education those of us who chose privately owned institutes of learning.....

Take all summer. Think it through......you'll be able to charge tickets with the amount of prolonged dancing you'll need to do.....
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:05 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:22 am Not even worth the time to read these kinds of replies; they show a fundamental disconnect with both private enterprise and human connection.
:lol: So Boeing is doing just great, and didn't send out a product that, to put it politely.....doesn't work.

And at some point, you'll have to explain to the board not only why you CHOSE to attende a Government Owned and Operated University....

....but also why the education you received there wasn't exponentially worse than the education those of us who chose privately owned institutes of learning.....

Take all summer. Think it through......you'll be able to charge tickets with the amount of prolonged dancing you'll need to do.....

I'm not the poster boy defender of Boeing if that's what you thought.

Boeing has some serious issues as a direct result of being (in essence) a state owned enterprise (made possible and also encouraged by the federal government before you start blaming management).

Huge news in our industry this weekend when they pulled out of the Embraer deal:

https://www.manufacturing.net/aerospace ... braer-deal
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:23 pm Boeing has some serious issues as a direct result of being (in essence) a state owned enterprise (made possible and also encouraged by the federal government before you start blaming management).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So now a publicly traded, globally owned company is "a state owned enterprise"....because it ruins your "theory" that a private enterprise can't possibly have massive and enduring management flaws.....

Best post yet, PB. You have officially flunked out of the Laxpower Gradschool seminar. Way to go!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:01 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:23 pm Boeing has some serious issues as a direct result of being (in essence) a state owned enterprise (made possible and also encouraged by the federal government before you start blaming management).

So now a publicly traded, globally owned company is "a state owned enterprise"....because it ruins your "theory" that a private enterprise can't possibly have massive and enduring management flaws.....

Best post yet, PB. You have officially flunked out of the Laxpower Gradschool seminar. Way to go!

I flunked?!?!? Who'da thunk!

Meanwhile:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspecu ... f73d1c5144
Typical Lax Dad

Let the private market solve it for Boeing. Government bad, Private Good.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Let the private market solve it for Boeing. Government bad, Private Good.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Meanwhile:

:lol: So because they bill the government for some goods and services, that "means" Boeing is a government owned and operated company? :lol:

So Trump and McConnell can fire the CEO at Boeing? And I'm a taxpayer...when do I get my dividend payment?

You realize that this idea of yours makes just about ALL businesses in America "State owned". How many restaurants in capitols around the country depend on government lunches and dinners to keep the lights on?

Or companies that make office supplies. Or computer manufacturers. Or car companies. Or, or, or....

So yep, you failed out of the seminar. Twice now. Nice job, take a bow!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:09 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Meanwhile:

:lol: So because they bill the government for some goods and services, that "means" Boeing is a government owned and operated company? :lol:

So Trump and McConnell can fire the CEO at Boeing? And I'm a taxpayer...when do I get my dividend payment?

You realize that this idea of yours makes just about ALL businesses in America "State owned". How many restaurants in capitols around the country depend on government lunches and dinners to keep the lights on?

Or companies that make office supplies. Or computer manufacturers. Or car companies. Or, or, or....

So yep, you failed out of the seminar. Twice now. Nice job, take a bow!

Take The L.png
Take The L.png (36.78 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
a fan

Post by a fan »

:lol: And Pete concedes all points, yells "look, a squirrel!!"...

...and exits, stage left.

To rousing applause, of course.

Enjoy your week, PB. ;)
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:19 pm :lol: And Pete concedes all points, yells "look, a squirrel!!"...

...and exits, stage left.

To rousing applause, of course.

Enjoy your week, PB. ;)
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

As to the issue of "bailing out" states:
EWn2hvhWsA0tiMl.jpg
EWn2hvhWsA0tiMl.jpg (61.89 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Enjoy!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:38 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:12 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:05 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:00 am not exactly persuasive, PB.

Am I supposed to write long, drawn-out theses now? :lol:

Hey, I really don't care if you guys are long or short the market. I know what looks probable, not certain, and that's how I calibrate investments, both into managers as well as style, as well as personal stuff like real estate.

America always wins provided we have a stable SCOTUS. That's my one and only answer for everything on this board and elsewhere no matter the topic. If you had 9 Neil Gorsuch's and zero Sotomajor's, everyone here would sleep better and everyone's portfolios would be significantly more stable. If you need to understand why, you probably haven't accomplished much in life.

Back to work!!!!
yup, double down on lack of actual rationale.
No actual clue on economics.
Just trolling re politics.

A "stable SCOTUS" would be "9 Neil Gorsuch's"... :roll:

BTW, I think we know what you do for a living, but what did your dad do after Loyola?

Founded a reinsurance Company acquired by what's now Travelers Insurance.
cool; sounds like a nice inheritance.
Nothing wrong with that, of course.

domiciled off sure, no doubt?
Bermuda? Caymans?
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:04 pm As to the issue of "bailing out" states:

EWn2hvhWsA0tiMl.jpg

Enjoy!

All your clip art shows is that the worst run states in America (all Democratic, naturally) are at the bottom of that list, and all the best run states (with the exception of Kentucky) are at the top.

checkmate.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:54 am Yes it makes my life different in some meaningful way. Actually Im more concerned anyone would believe the dumb things you write about finance and make a bad personal decision on it but otherwise I just think you make up a ton of stuff, intentionally conflate and obfuscate in a highly dishonest manner tantamount to outright lying and therefor don’t see any value in any of your posts that aren’t making fun of Hopkins.
:lol:
finding common cause with PB is indeed a challenge, but for some Hopkins is like the Yankees. So, Orioles fans and Red Sox fans can have something in common.

Return to “POLITICS”