Johns Hopkins Coach Search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Catbird

Re: Johns Hopkins Coach Search

Post by Catbird »

He already turned down Hop, not sure why he would leave Bucolic Richmond area for snowy Ithaca.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:25 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:13 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:09 pm Underwhelming.

Nads is a better coach. Surprised they couldn't or wouldn't get him outta Towson.
Nads is great, but how do we know if he's "better" than Milliman? Milliman went 13-5 and made the NCAA quarterfinals in his first year as head coach and in his third year, was 5-0 and ranked in the top 3. And that was coming off a very underwhelming period for Cornell lacrosse prior to his promotion to head coach.

Still digesting this news...initial reaction is I think it's pretty exciting.
Pretty simple for me. Who would I have rather seen my team play against, a Nads coached team or a Milliman one? Having seen both up close, I'd rather my team play against a Milliman-coached team. Milliman will recruit well like he did at Cornell. Will he win big games at Hop? He didn't at Cornell even with a generational talent in Teat. His lack of in-game adjustments was noticeable. Maybe he would have broken through this year. Had Cornell playing with real toughness. Still, as a Terp fan, seeing Nads on the sideline at Homewood would not have been good.
I recall watching him vs Maryland in 2018 at NMCMS in the 2nd round playoffs. Terps up 12-4 in forth qrt. Terps locked Teat the entire game,seems the coaches directed Teat to just float near the outer restraining line and play 5v5 the entire game. Never tried to use him for screening or picking...big reds midfielders were smoked b/c of it.

Do not know much about him, he did reach out to my son while he was at Princeton, so I like him for that.

Good luck to the Blue Jays and Congrats to Coach Milliman.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
AustinDangerPowers

Post by AustinDangerPowers »

Hopkins sure does like to take coaches from Cornell.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

redfoxalum wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:38 pm Well Milliman's certainly had a meteoric rise from HC at D2 Pfeiffer to HC at Johns Hopkins in 8 years. It will be very interesting how this plays out. Looking at the '20 and '21 classes that Petro had lined up, the demise of early recruiting might have been saving him from himself going forward. Physical size and depth that were missing from his ER classes. And one of his sons in the '22 class is the kind of player who would've attracted other top recruits.

On paper, Koesterer makes eminent sense for 1 assistant spot. JHU grad, upstate NY native like Milliman, relatively under the radar success at UMBC, B1G experience at OSU, wouldn't have to move during the pandemic. Rewkowski another relatively local JHU grad with experience under some top coaches. Also wouldn't be a surprise to see him bring some of his Cornell staff or Brad Ross, MD native at Navy, who also has B1G experience at OSU. Would also be nice to add someone with MIAA connections, at least in the Director of Ops role.
Go get Michael Phipps. Just like Maryland did when they hired Kevin Conry (Hop alum) and won a title.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:36 pm Congratulations, JHU! You have a good lacrosse coach, recruiter, fund raiser, and alumni relations man coming your way. If you don't eat him alive with perfectionism, I think you'll like the medium to long term results. I was hoping he'd stay at Cornell for a few decades.
As another Cornell guy, I agree with Faircornell and am disappointed to see him leave. I think he’ll be very successful at Hopkins, and I hope we can replace him with someone who possesses many of the same qualities.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:30 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:23 pm Total break from the past. The days of nostalgia/the old boys club are over.
Maybe that's what we need.
Catbird wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:28 pm As an alumnus and someone who has been going to games since Seaman was the coach (which is longer than some but not as long as many others), let me be the first one to say won't no one care if he wins.

Good Luck Coach M
Yikes—imagine being so self-involved that you stop rooting for you alma mater and refuse to support the players because the coach isn't an alum himself.

Milliman has a reputation for being an excellent recruiter, knows what it takes to navigate a tricky academic setting, and from what I've heard guys like playing for him. He's young, but not too young. The fact that Cornell fans are upset about this tells you a lot of what you need to know. They looked like arguably the best team in the country this year. Not much to complain about apart from him not being an alum or part of the "family." It'd be nice if he puts someone like Stanwick, Durkin, Crawley, Koesterer, Boyle, etc. on his staff but he may not.
Well Cornell is going to be upset no matter what as this will be what, their fifth coach in a decade? (Tambro, DeLuca, Kerwick, Milliman and ???-hopefully some stiff) Hard to get FG type traction constantly replacing HCs.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

I like that they "went outside the family". The world of college lacrosse has changed and having someone without even the subconscious link to the "glory days" is a good thing. Plus, Milliman has the experience of navigating this new lacrosse world at an Ivy. That should help with managing things at JHU. All-in-all, a really good hire, IMO.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Watched the first episode of The Season 2019. Easy to see why the search team wanted him.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:52 pm
Well Cornell is going to be upset no matter what as this will be what, their fifth coach in a decade? (Tambro, DeLuca, Kerwick, Milliman and ???-hopefully some stiff) Hard to get FG type traction constantly replacing HCs.
And of course Pietramala before Tambroni...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah but Jeff was there for close to a decade and had them oh so close to a title in 09.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:13 pm Yeah but Jeff was there for close to a decade and had them oh so close to a title in 09.
So true...never understood why Max gave the ball up--I believe he was gassed, but he could've sealed the NC!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I still think he was a better player for Cornell than Pannell.

(Can we hijack this thread away from hop :). )
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU77 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:13 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:39 am can someone who has no idea who the new coach will be covertly imply that you do know?
also, don't reference any source, etc.

thanks.
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:38 pm You might want to start wrapping your head around it
As a neutral outsider, I appoint myself referee and declare that we have a winner!
seriously?
i take the dog for a medium size walk to wrap my head around it, grill some dinner and there's another one?

by the time this is over, there will be 7 d1 jobs open, roland park real estate will have bounced back, and zoom will be $250 a share. all by tuesday.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Trumansburger wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:10 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:52 pm
And of course Pietramala before Tambroni...
weren't they all elevated from assistants?
everyone since... pietramala? that's a long time.
the better question may be which asst is better suited?
edit: edit
Last edited by wgdsr on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kerwick was sort of a wayward child having an issue as assistant at GTown after leaving the HC gig at Jax af TE r being fired from Hobart (though that’s on our former AD whom I have serious managerial issues with). Technically an associate HC to DeLuca who was relatively young but my sense was that was a favor/bridge situation that Kerwick fell into HC of when the hazing issue came up w Noel.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:25 pmPretty simple for me. Who would I have rather seen my team play against, a Nads coached team or a Milliman one? Having seen both up close, I'd rather my team play against a Milliman-coached team.
Yeah. The Nads-coached team looked really terrific against the Milliman-coached team the last two years. :roll:
harflax

Post by harflax »

"Hopkins was Nadelen's dream job and now it's been ruled out (his choice, not theirs), so he can stay and focus." Has anyone else heard this ?
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

Chitown wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:28 am Just thinking :idea: If Hopkins hires Millman, it would indicate that the Admin. has decided to "institutionalize" the lacrosse Coach position. None of the Yale, Cornell, Princeton or Penn Coaches came to their Univs with renown lacrosse playing or coaching backgrounds. Those Univs attract lacrosse players based on the Univs general reputation, not the Coaches' reputation. That makes the coaches fungible, and more easily replaceable. Maybe you don't need a "great" coach, just players who can pick up a GB, are athletic, and can catch & throw.

So if Hopkins hires Millman, it will mean that the Admin is entirely in "control". 8-)

Also, one thing for sure: Hopkins will NEVER EVER hire as the Coach someone who is a former Maryland lacrosse player. So count out the Georgetown Coach. :mrgreen:
President Daniels, Alanna Shanahan, and the current JHU AD run the Show. That is the message here. The Coaches are fungible. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward, BUT Hopkins lacrosse alumni are not going to hang around the Cordish Center and shoot the breeze with the lacrosse coach anymore. Want to talk with someone about lacrosse? Make an appointment with Alanna or the AD from now on. :o
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

harflax wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:41 pm "Hopkins was Nadelen's dream job and now it's been ruled out (his choice, not theirs), so he can stay and focus." Has anyone else heard this ?
you're asking this board? have you been on here the last 3 or 4 days?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”