The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:25 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:24 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:15 pm I know Tech does a lot of high level aerospace, engineering and military related research. UGA is still a bunch of doofy bulldogs to me. People in state treat it like it’s on par w UVA and UNC so it’s beyond obnoxious while they’ll never win another national championship in football and whine about all the ones being one by every single adjacent state even including that one UT got after Peyton Manning left.

Mercer isn’t a bad school either though Macon makes towns like Gainesville and Chattanooga (home to a UT but also Suwanee, formerly University of the South) seem like Shangri La.
Suwanee is not exactly in Chattanooga - a good 52 mile drive from downtown...(my brother lives fairly close to Suwanee in between Estill Springs and Winchester).
Small correction, it's Sewanee with an e not a u. Still known as The University of the South.
Have a nephew there, couple of my son's buddies played lax there.
https://new.sewanee.edu
A buddy’s daughter is there. It’s not pronounced the way it’s spelled!
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:27 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:15 pm I know Tech does a lot of high level aerospace, engineering and military related research. UGA is still a bunch of doofy bulldogs to me. People in state treat it like it’s on par w UVA and UNC so it’s beyond obnoxious while they’ll never win another national championship in football and whine about all the ones being one by every single adjacent state even including that one UT got after Peyton Manning left.

Mercer isn’t a bad school either though Macon makes towns like Gainesville and Chattanooga (home to a UT but also Suwanee, formerly University of the South) seem like Shangri La.
Suwanee is not exactly in Chattanooga - a good 52 mile drive from downtown...(my brother lives fairly close to Suwanee in between Estill Springs and Winchester).
Small correction, it's Sewanee with an e not a u. Still known as The University of the South.
And vice versa. Pretty school.
They appear to have come to grips with some of their history well.

Heck and gone from most anything else.
But, hey, so is my alma mater, Dartmouth.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

What we can all agree on is the best schools in America are in the south specifically the SEC. I’ll risk you condescending northerners telling me I’m sexist by making a relatively simple and plainly true observation. You could pick any school in the SEC, visit any sorority at that school, pick the least perfect 10% of the gals in that house, and those young ladies would be certifiable campus queens at any school in the north. Friendly, pretty, ladylike, fun, well dressed, and absolutely tops on your list to have children with and stay attractive all through life. Life in the south has always been great. Just don’t bring your liberal politics.

Thanks for coming to my talk.

8-)
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Coached against them a few times. I was surprised they didn't have a more of a MIAA / middle Atlantic prep school pipeline in place. I feel like they should be more successful than they've been, but it may just be too southern. Gorgeous campus indeed.

If you wanna see something crazy, look into the 1899 Sewanee football team - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1899_Sewa ... tball_team

They were also a founding member of the SEC.

October 21 @ Georgia @ Atlanta, W 12–0
October 23 @ Georgia Tech W 32–0
October 28 vs Tennessee W 46–0
November 3 vs Southwestern Presbyterian W 54–0
November 9 @ Texas W 12–0
November 10 @ Texas A&M* W 10–0
November 11 @ Tulane W 23–0
November 13 @ LSU W 34–0
November 14 vs Ole Miss @ Memphis W 12–0
November 20 vs Cumberland (TN) W 71–0
November 30 @ Auburn W 11–10
December 2 @ North Carolina @ Atlanta, GA W 5–0
Last edited by holmes435 on Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

holmes435 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:15 pm

Coached against them a few times. I was surprised they didn't have a more of a MIAA / middle Atlantic prep school pipeline in place. I feel like they should be more successful than they've been, but it may just be too southern. Gorgeous campus indeed.

If you wanna see something crazy, look into the 1899 Sewanee football team - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1899_Sewa ... tball_team

October 21 @ Georgia @ Atlanta, W 12–0
October 23 @ Georgia Tech W 32–0
October 28 vs Tennessee W 46–0
November 3 vs Southwestern Presbyterian W 54–0
November 9 @ Texas W 12–0
November 10 @ Texas A&M* W 10–0
November 11 @ Tulane W 23–0
November 13 @ LSU W 34–0
November 14 vs Ole Miss @ Memphis W 12–0
November 20 vs Cumberland (TN) W 71–0
November 30 @ Auburn W 11–10
December 2 @ North Carolina @ Atlanta, GA W 5–0
That’s crazy
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s like they are the Hopkins of football (along w maybe Univ of Chi)....

Good school, w would fit well in the CC or Liberty League. I’m a fan of liberal arts schools unless one is locked into a specific stem path and wonder now that I’ve got kids and live in the capital of the south where my kids might go and end up w basically Furman, Suwanee, Davidson and maybe one might throw Wake in there which is ACC but about the size of Univ of Roch. Not nearly as many decent options when you just think of the NESCAC, CC, LL, UAA, NCAC or whatever conference has Kenyon and Oberlin and a few others. Figure between my alma matters and my in laws they have options assuming Hobart is still alive plus in-law founding status at Furman and top 100 donor at GaTech. Can’t stand and will never forgive Duke for treatment of lax team in 06 and just generally prefer private if I can afford it. Have W&L and William & Mary as well but seems like in the south it’s skewed much more towards large state educations. Have a feeling some southern cities may be peaking now too (new,for 10yrs of Atlanta, cough, cough, has definitely not planned for its population growth and it’s lack of public transportation, urban sprawl and already overcrowding schools are visibly a problem-Pete’s description of the south is really one set 10-20yrs ago, lot of the upside that’s pushed net migration is already used up) home and I have 11 years before the first On my one would be a senior.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:48 pm What we can all agree on is the best schools in America are in the south specifically the SEC. I’ll risk you condescending northerners telling me I’m sexist by making a relatively simple and plainly true observation. You could pick any school in the SEC, visit any sorority at that school, pick the least perfect 10% of the gals in that house, and those young ladies would be certifiable campus queens at any school in the north. Friendly, pretty, ladylike, fun, well dressed, and absolutely tops on your list to have children with and stay attractive all through life. Life in the south has always been great. Just don’t bring your liberal politics.

8-)
I can see what PB wanted out of his education...

If it is an education you want, none of them would be horrible choices (I have my PhD from an SEC institution - not from Florida) but for institutions in the South the highest ranked generally goes to an ACC school - Duke (tied at #10 in the infamous USNWR rankings).

Of course Vandy is right up there...(#15)

Next institution in the SEC footprint is Emory (#21). Followed by #27 Wake Forest of the ACC. UVA is the first public at #28, with Georgia Tech at #29.
UNC-Chapel Hill at tie for 29 as well.

We finally get to UFL at #34 as the highest ranked public institution in the SEC. Tulane is #40. Texas at 48. Finally another SEC institution at 50: UGA. FSU at 57 tied with UMiami (how appropriate). Clemson at 70 with TAMU.

So far 4 SEC (Vandy, UFL, UGA, TAMU), 8 ACC (Duke, Wake Forest, UVA, GT, UNC, FSU, Miami, Clemson) , and 3 other.

Lots of pretty girls at those as well, but generally better academics at the basketball conference...
Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:27 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:48 pm What we can all agree on is the best schools in America are in the south specifically the SEC. I’ll risk you condescending northerners telling me I’m sexist by making a relatively simple and plainly true observation. You could pick any school in the SEC, visit any sorority at that school, pick the least perfect 10% of the gals in that house, and those young ladies would be certifiable campus queens at any school in the north. Friendly, pretty, ladylike, fun, well dressed, and absolutely tops on your list to have children with and stay attractive all through life. Life in the south has always been great. Just don’t bring your liberal politics.

8-)

If it is an education you want, none of them would be horrible choices (I have my PhD from an SEC institution - not from Florida) but for institutions in the South the highest ranked generally goes to an ACC school - Duke (tied at #10 in the infamous USNWR rankings).

Next institution in the SEC footprint is Emory (#21). Followed by #27 Wake Forest of the ACC. UVA is the first public at #28, with Georgia Tech at #29.

We finally get to UFL at #34 as the highest ranked public institution in the SEC. Tulane is #40. Texas at 48. Finally another SEC institution at 50: UGA. FSU at 57 tied with UMiami (how appropriate). Clemson at 70 with TAMU.

So far 4 SEC (Vandy, UFL, UGA, TAMU), 8 ACC (Duke, Wake Forest, UVA, GT, UNC, FSU, Miami, Clemson) , and 3 other.

Lots of pretty girls at those as well, but generally better academics at the basketball conference...
You mean U Fla. is a public school! I thought it was private live U Penn?
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:37 am

8-)

You would think so by reading PB.

Nothing good happens through the government according to him. But my graduate education was enhanced greatly by the legacy of one of the greatest projects of WWII - the Manhattan project. Not exactly a private endeavor - there was no military industrial complex like Eisenhower spoke of running the show. It was the US military and a whole lot of scientists.

And that leftover piece (ORNL is actually only one of them) is still a government lab. Spent over 6 years there while in graduate school.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:39 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:37 am

8-)

You would think so by reading PB.

Nothing good happens through the government according to him. But my graduate education was enhanced greatly by the legacy of one of the greatest projects of WWII - the Manhattan project. Not exactly a private endeavor - there was no military industrial complex like Eisenhower spoke of running the show. It was the US military and a whole lot of scientists.

And that leftover piece (ORNL is actually only one of them) is still a government lab. Spent over 6 years there while in graduate school.

maybe read this: 15 reasons why the government is so wasteful.

https://www.cato.org/publications/comme ... o-wasteful
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:49 pm

A very laughable (pseudo libertarian Koch source) document. Makes claims it actually cannot/does not back up with data, and fails to use the same level of criticism on the many failures of the free market as have happened in the US (healthcare that serves to drive massive profits into the hands of a small number of healthy individuals at the expense of the public is a great example - we pay about double what we should for non-universal healthcare). Makes assumption about the free market that are not actually evident.

Really?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:44 pm

A very laughable (pseudo libertarian Koch source) document. Makes claims it actually cannot/does not back up with data, and fails to use the same level of criticism on the many failures of the free market as have happened in the US (healthcare that serves to drive massive profits into the hands of a small number of healthy individuals at the expense of the public is a great example - we pay about double what we should for non-universal healthcare). Makes assumption about the free market that are not actually evident.

Really?

Sorry Cato doesn't meet your standards.

The Washington Post?

There are more political rewards for federal policymakers to add new programs and expand existing ones than to weed out low‐​priority programs and waste. Guess who spends all of their previous year's budget allotment just before September 30 every fiscal year?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

Politifact?

Disciplining federal workers is difficult and they are rarely fired, which can result in agencies carrying heavy loads of poor performers.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2007 ... n-federal/
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For those pissed about public or larger companies that took PPP, forget Ruth Chris or Danny Meyer (Shake Shack), heres the three dirtiest players in the game to date:

Autonation ($77mm total)

Ashford Hospitality Trust ($46mm)

MiMedx ($10mm but the company was ripping off the federal govt up until less than a year ago and our boy in Ga Tom Price was balls deep in the company, shouldn’t be allowed to get subsidized financing now under any conditions for like a decade)

And how do we feel about my friend who’s CFO/COO of a private Ga bank w 43 employee, maybe $22mm in rev, $4mm in NI on $340mm in assets over three branches who took a PPP loan out while his owner is four siblings based in Chicago who as a family make Forbes 400 wealthiest families list and carries a Bn in their net worth? Certainly qualifies by any definition of small business but already has FDIC deposits and ownership that could drop $10mm in any day (dropped $5mm or equity in last summer to mitigate regulatory concerns over CRE concentration at the bank.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
a fan

Post by a fan »

Uh, oh, Petey. More and more libs are catching on to Mitchey's "take money from other States so that we can have low taxes" game ......

That dynamic carries forth in states themselves, with large urban centers paying for rural regions, like the upstate-downstate divisions in Illinois and New York, or Philly-central Pennsylvania.

And that would be fine! Liberals are okay with helping out those that are less well off. Liberals have no problem with the federal government subsidizing telephone and mail service to rural areas—services that would not be justified by capitalistic math. We’re okay subsidizing rural health care. We’re okay subsidizing rural education, or opioid treatments, or transportation networks (e.g. roads).

The problem here isn’t our willingness as liberals to help our disproportionately rural Conservative brothers and sisters. The problem is twofold: 1) the nonsense pretense that these same people are “anti-government” and that urban liberals are somehow feeding off the government trough, and 2) the refusal of these same assholes to help when blue states get hit with catastrophe. Instead, Mitch McConnells and his jerk buddies suddenly discover the evils of the budget deficit—a deficit that wouldn’t be so large if Kentucky wasn’t bleeding the country dry.

Still, once upon a time, liberals and Blue states were like “whatever, we’ve got it good, we’re the United States of America. We’ll help.” But McConnell’s toxic brew of greed and cruelty has shattered that pretense.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4 ... less-greed
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:41 pm

Really?

The Washington Post?

There are more political rewards for federal policymakers to add new programs and expand existing ones than to weed out low‐​priority programs and waste. Guess who spends all of their previous year's budget allotment just before September 30 every fiscal year?

Politifact?

Disciplining federal workers is difficult and they are rarely fired, which can result in agencies carrying heavy loads of poor performers.

:lol: :lol: You must make ZERO decisions at your company if you think that you don't find these EXACT same problems at Corporations in America, and the world.

How's Boeing doing these days? :lol: Awesome, flawless company, right? :roll: ;)
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:55 pm

Really?

The Washington Post?

Politifact?

:lol: :lol: You must make ZERO decisions at your company if you think that you don't find these EXACT same problems at Corporations in America, and the world.

How's Boeing doing these days? :lol: Awesome, flawless company, right? :roll: ;)
Oh man, bureaucracy doesn't exist at all in the private sector. Didn't you read your Ayn Rand?

It's not what you know, it's who you know in the hiring process ;) Easy to slide into a middle manager role doing a few hours of work a week when you know someone. That nephew or frat brother's daughter or someone who knows someone ends up sitting around doing nothing while making bank and p!ssing off the employees when they boss them around.

Life Pro Tip for PB and others: If you're interviewing at a company says "we run this business like a family" or "we think of employees like family", run away as fast as you can.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:54 pm Uh, oh, Petey. More and more libs are catching on to Mitchey's "take money from other States so that we can have low taxes" game ......

That dynamic carries forth in states themselves, with large urban centers paying for rural regions, like the upstate-downstate divisions in Illinois and New York, or Philly-central Pennsylvania.

And that would be fine! Liberals are okay with helping out those that are less well off. Liberals have no problem with the federal government subsidizing telephone and mail service to rural areas—services that would not be justified by capitalistic math. We’re okay subsidizing rural health care. We’re okay subsidizing rural education, or opioid treatments, or transportation networks (e.g. roads).

The problem here isn’t our willingness as liberals to help our disproportionately rural Conservative brothers and sisters. The problem is twofold: 1) the nonsense pretense that these same people are “anti-government” and that urban liberals are somehow feeding off the government trough, and 2) the refusal of these same assholes to help when blue states get hit with catastrophe. Instead, Mitch McConnells and his jerk buddies suddenly discover the evils of the budget deficit—a deficit that wouldn’t be so large if Kentucky wasn’t bleeding the country dry.

Still, once upon a time, liberals and Blue states were like “whatever, we’ve got it good, we’re the United States of America. We’ll help.” But McConnell’s toxic brew of greed and cruelty has shattered that pretense.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4 ... less-greed
Cuomo, the other day, in a rebuttal to McConnell brought up how NY is #1 in contributing to the federal budget while KY is #3 in taking. If states rights are so flipping important, then I say each state keeps its taxes, starting NOW.

NYS #1 GIVING
KY #3 TAKING
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

holmes435 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:06 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:55 pm

Really?

The Washington Post?

Politifact?

Oh man, bureaucracy doesn't exist at all in the private sector. Didn't you read your Ayn Rand?

It's not what you know, it's who you know in the hiring process ;) Easy to slide into a middle manager role doing a few hours of work a week when you know someone. That nephew or frat brother's daughter or someone who knows someone ends up sitting around doing nothing while making bank and p!ssing off the employees when they boss them around.

Life Pro Tip for PB and others: If you're interviewing at a company says "we run this business like a family" or "we think of employees like family", run away as fast as you can.
At the upper management level you see that regularly. Especially as people graduate up the chain of command...the Peter Principle is revealed. I am happy at middle management in a somewhat upper sized small business, because I do keep it family like.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

What?? Pete says that's not possible, YA! Private companies are super awesome, and can't possibly have problems, let alone every single one of the problems listed in that asinine CATO piece.

Know who wrote the piece? He worked as Price waterhouse (probably for ten minutes)....a firm with 250,000 freaking employees.

1,000 steak dinners said if I read this stupid piece to the rank and file at PriceWaterhouse....and asked those employees if their employer was "obviously" free of all problems listed in this CATO piece?

You'd have to leave the room for 20 minutes to give them plenty of time to finally stop laughing.

Sell it somewhere else, Pete. That's a slow pitch softball lobbed at a MLB batter.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:45 pm What?? Pete says that's not possible, YA! Private companies are super awesome, and can't possibly have problems, let alone every single one of the problems listed in that asinine CATO piece.

Know who wrote the piece? He worked as Price waterhouse (probably for ten minutes)....a firm with 250,000 freaking employees.

1,000 steak dinners said if I read this stupid piece to the rank and file at PriceWaterhouse....and asked those employees if their employer was "obviously" free of all problems listed in this CATO piece?

You'd have to leave the room for 20 minutes to give them plenty of time to finally stop laughing.

Sell it somewhere else, Pete. That's a slow pitch softball lobbed at a MLB batter.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-16611040

What’s the life expectancy of a government? University of Florida must be one of the top private universities in the country.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”