Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Homer

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Homer »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:56 pm Had to chuckle at notion that Benson was complaining about not getting Rambo and Heacock in...after all Bobby got in!

I'd be very surprised to learn that those two were actually inadmissible at Hopkins as lax recruits. Seems far more likely that they simply chose a different school...now, that might have been because they believed Hopkins would be a more difficult academic environment or it may have been because of other factors.

The comment about #38 and certainly others over the years is true. Plenty of guys who could have cut it, indeed excelled, at Ivies, have been in the program. But let's be serious, the range has long been very wide. There's been no AI target ala the Ivies that Hop needs to hit each year. Very different with the DIII programs at Hopkins, their targets are quite tough and have grown way tougher recently.

Where I think it's fair to say that 'standards' are higher is that there's less latitude in the actual academic experience for youngsters without the skills and motivation to cut it academically. Still paths through it, but not the same as yesteryear.

On the other hand, it's reasonable to think that there's been tension over this with Admissions, made all the more intense by the ridiculousness of ER.

Also a pretty good guess that the latitude from the Administration for fouling up is much less, whether in the classroom or out of it. The clout of the program, indeed of all athletic programs is likely markedly less.

But the idea that Hopkins' "slide" was due to an inability to get recruits through Admissions really doesn't make sense.
MD -- thanks for your reply, all of this fits with my perceptions over the years as well. I certainly did not take any aspect of your post to be taking a shot at Hopkins!
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:29 pm
My complete wild-swing guess? Finalists: Nadelen, Chemotti, AND Murphy.

My wager: Murphy.

Frankly, all three would be a great catch for Hopkins. Would be an honor to have any one of them.

DocBarrister
this isn't a bad guess. One thing I like about Chemotti is that he knows how to recruit goalies. 4 of the last 6 years his goalies had a save percentage that ended the year in the top 20. In 3 of those 4 years it was top 10 (1, 2 and 10). Can't say the same for Hopkins that is for sure.

There is certainly a fear that he would go back to Duke if they called but my hunch is that Dino is grooming his son for the position. Though in all truthfulness, it would be better for Dino, Jr. to be a HC somewhere else and come back but that is just my view.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

According to Chris Jastrzembski, Chemotti is staying at Richmond. My guess is they ponied up to keep him.

Still seems like Nadelen's job to lose.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:59 pm Still going with Cassese until he’s ruled out. Fits the academic acumen of a top academic school from the PL, one of the few coaches with a player centric mentor on staff, academic navigation experience in recruiting, only negative..loves Bethlehem, but JHU provides a solid 5-7 years of stability.
"...loves Bethlehem..."?? He seems to throw his hat into every HC opening! Although I too, think he would be a good fit...
Laxrat

Post by Laxrat »

In unrelated news, rumor has it that Sowers is heading to Duke...
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Laxrat wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:03 am In unrelated news, rumor has it that Sowers is heading to Duke...
So why are you posting that here ?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:17 am
Laxrat wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:03 am In unrelated news, rumor has it that Sowers is heading to Duke...
So why are you posting that here ?
Sowers heading to Duke would actually be best case scenario for us considering his other options were UNC, Penn State, Syracuse, etc. Only chance he can hurt us this year is in the NCAA tournament. Have fun with him in the ACC!
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

This forum thread is the only place you can guarantee everyone in the lax world will see it :D
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Ty Xanders reported that Alex Concannon has entered the transfer portal today...

Given the coaching situation, is there any realistic expectation that these seniors/5th year students could come back?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Concannon was already in his 5th year this year when he got injured pre-COVID. Possibly finishing graduate program this year which would mean he is a slightly different situation.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Jackson Morrill is officially in the transfer portal...I wonder if the new staff will be able to persuade him to continue the family legacy for a year.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Seems strange that neither Jackson Morrill nor his brother Zeke (Georgetown '18) pursued Hopkins for college lacrosse given the family legacy. Not sure what he major is at Yale, but graduate work at Hopkins certainly seems like a great option for the hometown guy.

Be great for Hopkins to get another playmaker on that attack. Take some of the pressure off Epstein. Need a strong lefty finisher to complete that unit.
molo

Post by molo »

Grimes?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Epstein-Morrill-Grimes would strike terror into the heart of opposing defenses, though I would hope they'd still find plenty of time for Murphy because that kid was showing he belongs on the field a lot.

Getting way ahead of ourselves here of course. Let's hire a coach first
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Where did everybody go? This may be the longest the forum has gone without comments.
NOLAXBRO

Post by NOLAXBRO »

Thoughts on whether all 2020 and 2021 verbal recruits will be retained?
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

NOLAXBRO wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:18 pm Thoughts on whether all 2020 and 2021 verbal recruits will be retained?
Wouldn't the 2020s have already signed a NLI?
NOLAXBRO

Post by NOLAXBRO »

cltlax wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:23 pm
NOLAXBRO wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:18 pm Thoughts on whether all 2020 and 2021 verbal recruits will be retained?
Wouldn't the 2020s have already signed a NLI?
[
Last edited by NOLAXBRO on Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopDad2024

Post by HopDad2024 »

As far as I know all 2020's are staying. Where would they go at this point? With the transfer portal as full as it is, coivid 19 putting strain on programs budgets I think we will be looking at smaller rosters between 40 and 50. So the 2021's for sure and even the 2022's are in a tough spot because there are no NLI's and there will be more players left on rosters that would have normally graduated. This is assuming everyone stays for a fifth year.
Let's see who we get as a coach. Remember the new coach may have recruited some of the players but he hasn't coached any of them so no matter what they all will sort of start with a clean slate.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Mightyjoe wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:04 pm Where did everybody go? This may be the longest the forum has gone without comments.
75 pages of comments and nonsense on a team/ex coach that won 2 pathetic games this season.
we're waiting on
-a new coach
-a big j lax journo to grow a pair, treat journalism like a job not a fan club to explain/report what the difference in vision was between petro/the admin and what the specific areas of contention were.
-answers to the 23423 questions I and others posted related to the President/ad/new coach's vision for restoring the program to championship status etc.
-new staff
-fates of the outgoing/returning srs, current players, current/future recruits, potential transfers. In the Petro era we didn't learn answers to some of this stuff until practice started in september so I'm not holding my breath.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”