Where Would Petro Fit Best?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
joewillie78

Re: Where Would Petro Fit Best?

Post by joewillie78 »

CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:48 pm Joe, your Cornell fandom is second to none, but let's look at some history. Petro is 53, and 13 years removed from his last national championship. In 1990, Richie Moran was 53, and 13 years removed from his last national championship. Moran's record over the previous 5 years in 1990 was much better than Petro's over the past five in 2020. Yet Cornell was about to go into a multi-year tailspin that ended only with Moran's retirement and young Petro's hiring in 1997.

A steely-eyed look at the past is necessary for navigating the future.

Petro is past his prime, and the game has passed him by. He will never again lead any team to the national championship.

And: if Cornell hires Petro, his first move will be to fire Jordan Stevens and Connor Buczek, and replace them with Dwan and Benson.

If THAT doesn't send chills down your spine, I don't know what will.
No argument from me on any of your points.

So, just for fun, IF Pete leaves, who would be your choice?

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
CU77

Post by CU77 »

No idea. Not plugged into the larger lax world enough to be able to know who would be good. I'm just hoping hoping hoping that Pete will decide to stay even if he gets a JHU offer.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Should go back to Kerwick.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:58 pm Should go back to Kerwick.
Hopkins should consider Kerwick. Proven winner.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:58 pm Should go back to Kerwick.
Yeah, and I thought Kerwick was a good idea at the time. Which proves that no one should take my advice on who to hire.

Except that I'm right about Petro.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I heard John Svec is free...
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:36 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:33 pm
Joe wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:16 pm In regard to Petro… My son committed to Hopkins in September. He is Matt constantinides Fogo. Petro was the master recruiter. He seemed to really care for Petro allot. He is devastated he is not coming back... a bit lost. My son was recruited by Providence, Albany, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse. Petro was the only coach that asked about his family, interests, even asked for a tour of his room on zoom lately. Matt felt a connection with him as soon as he walked on campus. Maybe old school, but right off the bat really cared about the kids.
Have you checked out Hobart and William Smith? Greg Raymond is cut from Petro’s cloth. We love a good fogo too
Wait a minute ... are you really trying to poach one of OUR FOGOs on this forum?!? :shock: :o

Leggo our FOGO!

I’m serious ....

DocBarrister ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe, tell me your son's bed was made and his room was clean and there were no Maryland posters on the walls! Really interesting to get an inside look on recruiting, thanks for sharing.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:17 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:36 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:33 pm
Joe wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:16 pm In regard to Petro… My son committed to Hopkins in September. He is Matt constantinides Fogo. Petro was the master recruiter. He seemed to really care for Petro allot. He is devastated he is not coming back... a bit lost. My son was recruited by Providence, Albany, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse. Petro was the only coach that asked about his family, interests, even asked for a tour of his room on zoom lately. Matt felt a connection with him as soon as he walked on campus. Maybe old school, but right off the bat really cared about the kids.
Have you checked out Hobart and William Smith? Greg Raymond is cut from Petro’s cloth. We love a good fogo too
Wait a minute ... are you really trying to poach one of OUR FOGOs on this forum?!? :shock: :o

Leggo our FOGO!

I’m serious ....

DocBarrister ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe, tell me your son's bed was made and his room was clean and there were no Maryland posters on the walls! Really interesting to get an inside look on recruiting, thanks for sharing.
Maryland already has a highly ranked face-off man committed for the 2021 class.
Live Free or Die!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Doc, you want your FOGO's to be dirty and have a disorganized but effective system of personal management, not a dainty mid atlantic attackman.
Joe

Post by Joe »

LoL Doc, My son fits the mold of a messy fogo who keeps his thoughts organized but not his room. The Maryland fogo 2021 is Chase Mullins he is a great FOGO. My son and him have had some battles over the last two years. Chase edging him out in win percentage. They often battle deadlocked on the ball for sometimes up to a minute. Once Matt committed to Hopkins Chase called and said "So the rivalry continues". Great kid. Looking forward to future battles. As far as Petro he appreciated Matt for his blue color work ethic. When he visited told Matt "He was a breath of fresh air" due to his honesty about the recruiting process and his questions he had for him. They def bonded.
HopDad2024

Post by HopDad2024 »

Petro will be just fine. He will land on his feet and will coach again at the highest of levels. Like Joe I have a 2020 JHU FOGO lax commit and he loved Petro as well but he understands the end game and that is a JHU degree. Petro is a legend and deserves all the accolades and will go down as one of the greatest coaches of all time when he is finished. Yes it stinks for all involved and the 2021's and 2022's will be hit the hardest by the NCAA ruling
allowing the extra year. JHU will get an awesome coach but in the end it's up to the players to set the culture. Jay Dyer and Kyle Harrison had a Zoom call with current players and 2020's and that was the message. Come in here ready to work in the classroom and on the field and change the culture.
Once again I would have loved my son to play for Petro...I would have loved my son to have played his senior year at Calvert Hall ranked #1 and to see if we a 4th straight MIAA title but that didn't happen. Life lesson...how are you going to deal with it. Not playing for Petro next year...how are yo going to deal with it? JHU will not pack up the program and go home. I want all the best for Petro because he saw the best in my son and his main concern was what was best for his players in the end? You might not have liked the delivery method....how are you going to deal with it?
Pick the university or college for the school and not for the coach because as we have seen that coach might not be there in the end.
Good Luck Coach Petro!
You are a legend.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopDad24 and Joe - thanks a lot for coming and playing in our dumb little sandbox, it's great to have the insight. Please do be careful though, not worth irritating anyone meaningful by commenting here. Maybe best to leave this forum to all of us uninformed navel gazers? :D
Joe

Post by Joe »

Petro said in an interview that He hopes to have a whistle around his neck next year. He also joked at the end of the video and said "So if anyone out there is hiring give me a call". Said he also thought it would be really cool to coach his sons in college.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

With Cornell hiring from within, not as many dominos will be falling...

Can you hear that?? I think it’s the PLL calling for Dave!
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

Coach Petro and Lars Tiffany will be doing a Zoom meeting and talking about the current state of recruiting for the IMLCA next Wednesday. I think it is open to anyone, not just IMLCA members. The previous two Whiteboard discussions have been interesting,this should be also.

"Dave Pietramala, IMLCA Board of Directors, will participate in a roundtable discussion with ESPN lacrosse analysts to discuss the current state of recruiting from a coach's perspective."

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”