All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

DocBarrister

Re: BIG SHOCKER (NOT): New Trump HHS Spokesman is a Filthy Racist

Post by DocBarrister »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:02 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:42 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:34 pm
6ftstick wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:25 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:12 pm Ho, hum ... turns out the brand new HHS spokesman appointed by Trump is an anti-Asian racist piece of trash.

(CNN)The new spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services in a series of now-deleted tweets made racist and derogatory comments about Chinese people, said Democrats wanted the coronavirus to kill millions of people and accused the media of intentionally creating panic around the pandemic to hurt President Donald Trump.

... Michael Caputo, a longtime New York Republican political operative who worked on Trump's 2016 presidential campaign, was appointed last week as Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs at HHS, a prominent communications role at the department which serves a central role in the federal government's response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Caputo, a prolific user who often tweeted insults and profanity, recently erased nearly his entire Twitter history from before April 12. CNN's KFile used the Internet Archive's Way Back Machine to review more than 1300 deleted tweets and retweets from late February to early April many of which were regarding the rapidly spreading coronavirus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/23/politics ... index.html

Which reminds me ... when is the racist, xenophobic title of this thread going to be changed?

DocBarrister
How about this

CHICOM virus infects millions worldwide and kills hundreds of thousands!
+1 :D i hope Docs feelings are not hurt.
I’m not Chinese. I’m not communist. Why would my feelings be hurt?

Explain.

DocBarrister
Because your a sensitive modern kind of guy. Whose feelings are easily hurt. Who cares about the name of the thread? What is written inside the thread is what matters. I must be too old, I just don't get offended that easily anymore if I ever did at all.
You are too old.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
youthathletics

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

Trinity wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:58 pm AP poll: only 23% of Americans say they have high levels of trust in what the president is telling the public. And only about half of Republicans say they have a lot of trust in Trump’s information on the pandemic.
What was the percentage of medium levels....what is NOT in the post, is just as, if not more important.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Remdesivir study not good: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52406261
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:13 pm
Trinity wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:58 pm AP poll: only 23% of Americans say they have high levels of trust in what the president is telling the public. And only about half of Republicans say they have a lot of trust in Trump’s information on the pandemic.
What was the percentage of medium levels....what is NOT in the post, is just as, if not more important.
# Defending Trump is a choice
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

njbill wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:46 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:57 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:52 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:09 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:52 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:38 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:54 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:37 pm 19 virus cases have been linked to the Wisconsin primary. Good job, Republicans.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1188606

The sooner we get back to work, the sooner we will all be back at home.

https://www.fda.gov/patients/fast-track ... ity-review
19 cases doesn't seem to bad considering 1.5 million people went to the polls.
Not nearly that many voted in person on election day...

864750 returned absentee ballots so actually a bit more than 600K voted in person. And the case count may actually be quite a bit higher...
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cases-c ... d=70264956
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/politics ... index.html

is there a source that ties the contacts and contraction to the polling locations? abc and cnn seem to say there isn't any as of today. sourcing tpm, whose original report seems to confirm:
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/wisc ... lection-19

basically just says they found 19 people with confirmed covid that voted.
OK, they don’t have conclusive proof that all 19 were infected at the polls, but it seems reasonable to conclude that the polls were the most likely source. Other sources were “possible,” but anything is possible.

And it wasn’t just voters who got sick. It was poll workers as well.
i saw one poll worker. maybe there were more. maybe they vote also before their shift is out.
i saw earlier today you were an attorney? why would it seem reasonable to conclude the polls were the most likely source? what do you base that on?
I’ve probably read the same several articles that you and others have read.

I haven’t seen anything that broke down the 19 cases into those who were only voters and those who were poll workers (who also may have voted).

The report say that “several” of those infected reported other “possible exposures.” While concededly I am drawing conclusions from reporting, which is often imprecise, the available information we have suggests that the large majority of the 19 have not identified other possible sources of the exposure.

Also, certainly a poll worker would have been possibly exposed during a multi-hour shift in which the worker would have been in close proximity to the voters and would have handed papers back and forth.

It was widely reported that voters had to stand in line for hours. Certainly voters could’ve been exposed during that time.

Without any other information about what the “possible” sources were for “several” of the persons who became infected, I think it is a reasonable conclusion to draw that the most likely source was the polling stations.

If there is additional reporting on this down the road, I would certainly take a look at it.

Yes, I was a lawyer, now retired.
ok, thanks. fwiw here looks like the original story:
https://waow.com/2020/04/21/dhs-hesitan ... -question/
headline's a little different. snippets from DHS don't allow me to draw any conclusions at all. i hope you wouldn't be on my jury if i were a defendant.
there were 684 confirmed cases in wisconsin from 4/9 until 4/21, the time period spoken about here. if there were ~650 k voters per RedfromMI, that amounts to about 11% of the state. i'd expect inside the margin of error that 75 +/- people came down with corona in that time frame that also went to the polling booths. that's if the polling booths had no effect on their contracting it in the first place. and that's almost 4 x the 19 they have tabulated so far.
i'm not trying to be a **** here, apologize if it seems otherwise. really just pointing out that what and how we take in our media has become a real vicious cycle on the divisiveness that's out there.
you have every right to draw whatever conclusions you like from it.
Typical Lax Dad

Two people on my mother in law’s block died this week from Coronavirus. One was old and the other was 53. That may or may not be old to some.
“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

Come on YA, you can use the google machine, right? AP/NORC survey.

How much do Americans trust Trump on Covid:

A great deal -- 10%
Quite a bit -- 13%
Moderate amount -- 21%
Only a little -- 15%
Not at all -- 39%

TL/DR: People don't trust Trump, especially on Covid.

Strange, because based on today's WH briefing I though it was a good idea to drink some disinfectant and stick a UV light up my nose. Maybe I should rethink that.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:25 pm

# Defending Trump is a choice

... a dumb one, too :mrgreen:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

ggait wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:37 pm

A great deal -- 10%
Quite a bit -- 13%
Moderate amount -- 21%
Only a little -- 15%
Not at all -- 39%

Strange, because based on today's WH briefing I though it was a good idea to drink some disinfectant and stick a UV light up my nose. Maybe I should rethink that.
A rich guy with a loud mouth can get away with a lot in this country.
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

ggait wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:37 pm

A great deal -- 10%
Quite a bit -- 13%
Moderate amount -- 21%
Only a little -- 15%
Not at all -- 39%

How unaware is he of how disconnected from reality he truly is. Yes you can kill the virus with bleach and UV light - on a surface or in solution.

Killing things in a living being without killing the host is a bit more difficult. Does he want to be the first volunteer to be injected with bleach?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:06 pm Two people on my mother in law’s block died this week from Coronavirus. One was old and the other was 53. That may or may not be old to some.
Did "the 53 year old other" have any health issues?
Live Free or Die!
Typical Lax Dad

Cooter wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:00 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:06 pm Two people on my mother in law’s block died this week from Coronavirus. One was old and the other was 53. That may or may not be old to some.
Did "the 53 year old other" have any health issues?
Got up and went to work everyday. I saw that a 5 year old died too and a 6 month old. You worry about your kids?

https://nypost.com/2020/04/23/fdny-fire ... ssage_appe
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/23/world/me ... index.html

These people are no different than the people carrying guns to protest the public safety measures here. Same mentality...no different from the Chinese people that believe Americans caused Coronavirus.... you can’t tell them anything.
“I wish you would!”
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

I was listening to a NPR program this week where the host was interviewing an old friend who just lost his 72 yo mother. The son tried to keep her safe, but she liked to listen to popular conservative radio and TV. By living reckless, she became sick and passed after just a few days. Sadly, alone aside from hospital staff.
Typical Lax Dad

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:35 pm
I was listening to a NPR program this week where the host was interviewing an old friend who just lost his 72 yo mother. The son tried to keep her safe, but she liked to listen to popular conservative radio and TV. By living reckless, she became sick and passed after just a few days. Sadly, alone aside from hospital staff.
Yes. These people are dying and being buried alone.
“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:32 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:46 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:57 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:52 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:09 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:52 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:38 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:54 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:37 pm 19 virus cases have been linked to the Wisconsin primary. Good job, Republicans.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1188606

The sooner we get back to work, the sooner we will all be back at home.

https://www.fda.gov/patients/fast-track ... ity-review
19 cases doesn't seem to bad considering 1.5 million people went to the polls.
Not nearly that many voted in person on election day...

864750 returned absentee ballots so actually a bit more than 600K voted in person. And the case count may actually be quite a bit higher...
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cases-c ... d=70264956
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/politics ... index.html

is there a source that ties the contacts and contraction to the polling locations? abc and cnn seem to say there isn't any as of today. sourcing tpm, whose original report seems to confirm:
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/wisc ... lection-19

basically just says they found 19 people with confirmed covid that voted.
OK, they don’t have conclusive proof that all 19 were infected at the polls, but it seems reasonable to conclude that the polls were the most likely source. Other sources were “possible,” but anything is possible.

And it wasn’t just voters who got sick. It was poll workers as well.
i saw one poll worker. maybe there were more. maybe they vote also before their shift is out.
i saw earlier today you were an attorney? why would it seem reasonable to conclude the polls were the most likely source? what do you base that on?
I’ve probably read the same several articles that you and others have read.

I haven’t seen anything that broke down the 19 cases into those who were only voters and those who were poll workers (who also may have voted).

The report say that “several” of those infected reported other “possible exposures.” While concededly I am drawing conclusions from reporting, which is often imprecise, the available information we have suggests that the large majority of the 19 have not identified other possible sources of the exposure.

Also, certainly a poll worker would have been possibly exposed during a multi-hour shift in which the worker would have been in close proximity to the voters and would have handed papers back and forth.

It was widely reported that voters had to stand in line for hours. Certainly voters could’ve been exposed during that time.

Without any other information about what the “possible” sources were for “several” of the persons who became infected, I think it is a reasonable conclusion to draw that the most likely source was the polling stations.

If there is additional reporting on this down the road, I would certainly take a look at it.

Yes, I was a lawyer, now retired.
ok, thanks. fwiw here looks like the original story:
https://waow.com/2020/04/21/dhs-hesitan ... -question/
headline's a little different. snippets from DHS don't allow me to draw any conclusions at all. i hope you wouldn't be on my jury if i were a defendant.
there were 684 confirmed cases in wisconsin from 4/9 until 4/21, the time period spoken about here. if there were ~650 k voters per RedfromMI, that amounts to about 11% of the state. i'd expect inside the margin of error that 75 +/- people came down with corona in that time frame that also went to the polling booths. that's if the polling booths had no effect on their contracting it in the first place. and that's almost 4 x the 19 they have tabulated so far.
i'm not trying to be a **** here, apologize if it seems otherwise. really just pointing out that what and how we take in our media has become a real vicious cycle on the divisiveness that's out there.
you have every right to draw whatever conclusions you like from it.
I don’t think your comparison between the number of confirmed cases and the number of in-person voters is necessarily relevant to determining how many people were infected at the polling stations.

Sure, there is a lot of missing information, such as personal interviews of the 19 individuals. Also, the articles don’t explain why the writers say these people contracted the virus at the polls. Presumably, though, they didn’t make that linkage up out of thin air.

The DHS said in the article you linked that they could not establish a linkage “with certainty” between attending the polls and contracting the virus. Of course that is the case, but to me, that isn’t very helpful to the discussion.

Not sure why you seem to be resistant to the notion that it seems likely some people contracted the virus by going to the polls. Whether it was all 19, or more, or fewer, I don’t know.

We are talking probabilities here, which essentially is all we can do with the information we have.

Forgive me if you have mentioned your occupation, but I don’t know what it is. In civil law, we rarely if ever deal in certainties, but rather in probabilities. From what I’ve seen, I am comfortable concluding that it is more probable than not that at least some, maybe a majority, of the 19 contracted the virus at the polling places.

In the law, you have to make a decision based on the available evidence. If additional evidence is introduced, that might change how you decide the issue. If you have more evidence, let’s see it.

Do you agree it was a really bad idea for Wisconsin to hold in person voting in this primary?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I get the point, and it is a good one. Keep distancing. At the same time, COVID isn't a death sentence. I know some people who got sick, tested positive, and survived. There was even that 101 year old who survived. Be smart and don't get it. But if you do get it, keep hope.
Typical Lax Dad

And then this.....

"Suppose that we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light," Trump said from the White House podium. "Suppose you can bring the light inside the body, either through the skin or in some other way."
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Good thing We didn’t get out over our skis!!

'It's irresponsible and it's dangerous': Experts rip Trump's idea of injecting disinfectant to treat COVID-19

"It’s a common method that people utilize when they want to kill themselves," one doctor said. Here are the facts about poisonous chemicals.

That’s right Donald an 8 Ball will do they trick!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1191246

Elections have consequences
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
calourie

Post by calourie »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... -nicotine/

Here's a new one that my wife (an ex-smoker) was happy to relate to me. Somebody better hold Trump back before he prematurely jumps all over this one. Think I'll wait for some more testing.

Return to “POLITICS”