Where Would Petro Fit Best?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Where Would Petro Fit Best?

Post by jrn19 »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:33 am Someone posted this on another thread. And this is not unrealistic:

Nadelen to Hopkins
Ryan Moran(UMBC) to Towson-He can get better talent there.
Petro to UMBC-just like his coach and mentor, Don Zimmerman
Not out of the question for sure, but while Moran did a strong job with UMBC in that post-season run last year, I think Towson could aim higher at first than a coach who has yet to have a winning season. Torpey, Wray, guys I could see being interested in that job
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:51 am
gymman1031 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:33 am Someone posted this on another thread. And this is not unrealistic:

Nadelen to Hopkins
Not out of the question for sure, but while Moran did a strong job with UMBC in that post-season run last year, I think Towson could aim higher at first than a coach who has yet to have a winning season. Torpey, Wray, guys I could see being interested in that job
Both of those coaches are very good. However, I really think that they are at programs that could get better and better. Assuming they believe that, they might want to be along for the ride. We will see!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:53 am

Nadelen to Hopkins
Both of those coaches are very good. However, I really think that they are at programs that could get better and better. Assuming they believe that, they might want to be along for the ride. We will see!
Torpey's been rumored to have gone after tons of head coaching opportunities in recent years; plus he's from Baltimore. I think he'd go for it.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:20 am
gymman1031 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:53 am

Nadelen to Hopkins
Torpey's been rumored to have gone after tons of head coaching opportunities in recent years; plus he's from Baltimore. I think he'd go for it.
He might, especially since he is from Baltimore. Also, I think he is currently in a conference in which Richmond might well have an edge for sometime. Ironically, should he go to Towson, he would be going in the same pattern that star face-off guy Alex Woodall went.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

High Point has to be high on the at risk school pool among D1 lacrosse participating ones. That might be a consideration.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:38 am High Point has to be high on the at risk school pool among D1 lacrosse participating ones. That might be a consideration.
Not so sure, the HPU President is a dynamic fundraiser. Rumor is he is trying to get football going there as well..
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

$64MM endowment as of a year ago. They can't afford football, even at the D3 level. 14:1 student to faculty ratio is already not great for sub 5,000 students.

President is a hustler. They have accrued a ton of debt to build a disneyland like campus.

Filter our 2020 rankings or create your own with the customization tool

ILLUSTRATION: JUSTIN METZ
Sept. 4, 2019 7:09 pm ET

Examine the full list of more than 800 U.S. colleges and universities and look at the metrics behind the rankings.

Create personalized rankings based on the factors that matter most to you, and use tools to sort and filter the data. Plus, read the analysis of this year’s Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College Rankings and the full methodology.

Reset all fields
Find a college by name
High Point University
Filter by location
City, state, region or metro area
Filter by areas of study
Select...
Filter by school type
Public
Private
Additional Filters
RANK
RANK

COLLEGE

OUTCOMES

RESOURCES

ENGAGEMENT

ENVIRONMENT

AVERAGE NET PRICE

501-600 High Point University 501-600 401-500 250 >600 $39,101
High Point University
HIGH POINT, NC • PRIVATE NOT-FOR-PROFIT • STANDARDIZED TEST OPTIONAL

Scores & Ranks
Overall score 43.3-46.6/100
Outcomes score* -/40(501-600)
Resources score* -/30(401-500)
Engagement score* 16.2/20(250)
Environment score* -/10(>600)
Students
Enrollment 4,756
Student-Faculty Ratio 14:1
Academic Spending Per Student $16,890
Costs
Tuition & Fees $34,005
Room & Board $13,350
Average net price $39,101
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfrom-- based on your post, will HPU have to close the on-campus steakhouse & the pools next to every dorm? :lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Steakhouses in the Triad area weren't that good to begin with, used to take a bank exec to get drunk at one called Chop House in Thomasville/High Point border area on the reg.

The kids there probably should use the pond over the pools anyway...
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Here's a crazy thought. Just hear me out.

Petro has to have a significant amount of coin banked. We're mired in a Covid crazy time. So why jump back into coaching at all right now?

Take a vision quest year or two, a self-directed sabbatical. Unplug. Recharge. Read the classics. Watch black & white movies. Step off the lacrosse gerbil wheel for the first time in all but a few years of his entire life. Eat right. Get in shape. Go into dad mode. Husband mode. Head to upstate NY and learn how to make wooden sticks. Buy a Harley. Travel the West in search of big skies. Learn to sail. Listen to 70's rock. Learn to make crepes. Be a kid at heart again. Be a man without a mission...for as long as it takes to confront that guy in the mirror who somehow seems to have lost sight of what this incredible game can and should be. Then come back to baggataway and the Creator's game with mind, body and soul ready for "DP 2.0 - A New Chapter".

I know, I know. It's un-American to even suggest such a possibility. As Sean Connery succinctly put it to Nicholas Cage in The Rock: "You did your best? That's what all the losers say. The winner goes home and #%*!'s the prom queen". But the game seems pressed up so hard against DP's face he can't seem to see the forest through the trees. The same trees which, um, lacrosse sticks are made of...

Taking a step back to finding and rejiggering yourself isn't quitting. It's the hardest mountain of all to climb. Maybe DP needs to (metaphorically speaking) grab a rucksack and take a journey back to himself.

Oddly enough, this is what popped to mind when I saw this thread. Please allow me to go hide in my basement cave before mocking me. Us armchair psychologists and participation trophy collecting armchair attackmen are a very sensitive bunch. :D
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah, he'll be the next Jack Kerouac. He seems like a Dharma Bum type.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:30 pm Petro has to have a significant amount of coin banked. We're mired in a Covid crazy time. So why jump back into coaching at all right now?
I thought Petro already said he was going to take some time off in one of the interviews … someone who's paying closer attention can correct me if this is wrong.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

“Read the classics.”

Okay, that caused me to LOL.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:40 pm
b1w7o9y7h wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:30 pm Petro has to have a significant amount of coin banked. We're mired in a Covid crazy time. So why jump back into coaching at all right now?
I thought Petro already said he was going to take some time off in one of the interviews … someone who's paying closer attention can correct me if this is wrong.
I don't think he said that explicitly, but he did hint that that's what he'll do provided there are no immediate opportunities. I think he's sort of assuming there aren't going to be very many D1 openings this cycle so he's already planning to do some personal growth in the next year or so and then revisit again after next season. Though I do think he wants to get back into coaching sooner rather than later (and it'd probably behoove him to if he wants to keep coaching at this level) and if something happened to open up in the next few weeks I would not be shocked at all to hear he has put his hat into the ring.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:44 pm “Read the classics.”

Okay, that caused me to LOL.
:lol:
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:36 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:29 pm If Milliman takes the JHU job, why not simply bring Petro back to a place he is familiar with and had success.......CORNELL.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Works for Hobart. Remember the series in the 90s fondly!
Of course I remember. Heck I still can vividly remember games from when I was an undergrad in the 70's. Look, I disagree with CU77 who I have the utmost respect for, but the damn guy has won 2 NC's, and was awesome here at Cornell. You basically have one of if not the best offense in the country here at Cornell so just leave that alone BUT our D still needs work and that is Petros specialty.

Of course, I want Pete to stay BUT if he goes for the big bucks, and the glamour of JHU, then I would call Petro before the ink is dry on Pete's new JHU deal.

It would be seamless as he knows the program. Again, I respect CU77 as ,much as any poster on this forum, but if Pete leaves, I would jump at the chance to get Petro back.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Joe, your Cornell fandom is second to none, but let's look at some history. Petro is 53, and 13 years removed from his last national championship. In 1990, Richie Moran was 53, and 13 years removed from his last national championship. Moran's record over the previous 5 years in 1990 was much better than Petro's over the past five in 2020. Yet Cornell was about to go into a multi-year tailspin that ended only with Moran's retirement and young Petro's hiring in 1997.

A steely-eyed look at the past is necessary for navigating the future.

Petro is past his prime, and the game has passed him by. He will never again lead any team to the national championship.

And: if Cornell hires Petro, his first move will be to fire Jordan Stevens and Connor Buczek, and replace them with Dwan and Benson.

If THAT doesn't send chills down your spine, I don't know what will.
Last edited by CU77 on Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:30 pm Here's a crazy thought. Just hear me out.

Petro has to have a significant amount of coin banked. We're mired in a Covid crazy time. So why jump back into coaching at all right now?

Take a vision quest year or two, a self-directed sabbatical. Unplug. Recharge. Read the classics. Watch black & white movies. Step off the lacrosse gerbil wheel for the first time in all but a few years of his entire life. Eat right. Get in shape. Go into dad mode. Husband mode. Head to upstate NY and learn how to make wooden sticks. Buy a Harley. Travel the West in search of big skies. Learn to sail. Listen to 70's rock. Learn to make crepes. Be a kid at heart again. Be a man without a mission...for as long as it takes to confront that guy in the mirror who somehow seems to have lost sight of what this incredible game can and should be. Then come back to baggataway and the Creator's game with mind, body and soul ready for "DP 2.0 - A New Chapter".

I know, I know. It's un-American to even suggest such a possibility. As Sean Connery succinctly put it to Nicholas Cage in The Rock: "You did your best? That's what all the losers say. The winner goes home and #%*!'s the prom queen". But the game seems pressed up so hard against DP's face he can't seem to see the forest through the trees. The same trees which, um, lacrosse sticks are made of...

Taking a step back to finding and rejiggering yourself isn't quitting. It's the hardest mountain of all to climb. Maybe DP needs to (metaphorically speaking) grab a rucksack and take a journey back to himself.

Oddly enough, this is what popped to mind when I saw this thread. Please allow me to go hide in my basement cave before mocking me. Us armchair psychologists and participation trophy collecting armchair attackmen are a very sensitive bunch. :D
In his interview with Paul Carcaterra, he stated he wanted to take time to be with his family, do some self and professional development. He wants to go see college football games.
He also said that he wants to coach at a place where lacrosse is important and he would have the opportunity to compete at the highest level.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:48 pm Joe, your Cornell fandom is second to none, but let's look at some history. Petro is 53, and 13 years removed from his last national championship. In 1990, Richie Moran was 53, and 13 years removed from his last national championship. Moran's record over the previous 5 years in 1990 was much better than Petro's over the past five in 2020. Yet Cornell was about to go into a multi-year tailspin that ended only with Moran's retirement and young Petro's hiring in 1997.

A steely-eyed look at the past is necessary for navigating the future.

Petro is past his prime, and the game has passed him by. He will never again lead any team to the national championship.

And: if Cornell hires Petro, his first move will be to fire Joran Stevens and Connor Buczek, and replace them with Dwan and Benson.

Honestly I think this is true w respect or defensive coaching. The positioning that is the focus is important but extending out and taking risks seems a lot more important these days when you have far few ground balls and for a few other reasons. I don’t really like it at Bart and am hoping it’s part of a two phase process but good offensive teams can wait for a mistake or missed slide a lot more easily today than back then which makes ball handler pressure more important IMO.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:48 pm And: if Cornell hires Petro, his first move will be to fire Joran Stevens and Connor Buczek, and replace them with Dwan and Benson.

Wouldn't they be moving on to JHU as well?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”