Johns Hopkins Coach Search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Johns Hopkins Coach Search

Post by wgdsr »

gymman1031 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:08 pm Is Hobart’s Raymond officially out?
official only if you believe lacrosse twitter.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Mold=D3 guy, coached with Jen at Cornell, shares same values, knows Centennial Conference, experience on tight budgets early in career-could work at a “new” Hop, especially if pandemic changes landscape, no Hop ties so won’t look to recreate yesteryear.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:39 pm Mold=D3 guy, coached with Jen at Cornell, shares same values, knows Centennial Conference, experience on tight budgets early in career-could work at a “new” Hop, especially if pandemic changes landscape, no Hop ties so won’t look to recreate yesteryear.
Plus maybe they think he'll bring along Jeff Teat as his "plus one." :lol:
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Many people forget that Milliman stabbed Kerwick in the back to get the Cornell job.
Last edited by FlyEaglesFly on Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I got nothing against Milliman, but didn't seem like Cornell really even wanted to give him the HC job. Not even two years ago. So yeah, I have my reservations.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:03 pm Many people forget that Milliman stabbed Kerwick in the back to get the Cornell job. Was Jen the AD at that time?
story?? do tell.
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

Baker was never Cornell’s AD. She was a glorified facilities manager. Had nothing to do with coaching decisions.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:10 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:03 pm Many people forget that Milliman stabbed Kerwick in the back to get the Cornell job. Was Jen the AD at that time?
story?? do tell.
Look for the Laxpower archives from around 5/8/2017
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

CU77 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:40 pm
Henpecked wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:47 pm If JHU signs Milliman, how quickly would Cornell get Petro in for an interview up in Ithaca?
NO NO NO a thousand times NO!!!
Please bring him back to Cornell. He was 0-3 v Hobart '98 through 2000.. Just poking at you CU77. No offense to Coach Milliman but, I expect Caoch Nadalen to get the nod.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:55 pm So it is down to Nadelen and Milliman.

In knowing a few of the parties involved, my guess is this: alums and supporters want Nads and Jen wants Peter. Peter fits her "mold", Nads fits what alums of appreciate: program alum, recent success, good reputation.

Assuming all outside factors are equal, the coach that receives the first offer for the position may just be a result of who wields the most power at Hop.

If I was betting, I would say Milliman. Frankly, I am surprised he is in the mix. That may tell you all you need to know. Jen may have been pushing for him from the start.
What is Coach Milliman’s style and tone? Screamer? More “gentile”?

Coach Nadelen may still get the job, and I would be happy with that, but I’m wondering if the AD and Vice Provost want a different style of coaching at Homewood.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CU77 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:40 pm
Henpecked wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:47 pm If JHU signs Milliman, how quickly would Cornell get Petro in for an interview up in Ithaca?
NO NO NO a thousand times NO!!!
Silence while we decide whether to assimilate your coach (again).

Plus, taking Coach Milliman would satisfy NCAA Prime Directive No. 13:

Cornell must be screwed. ’Nuff said.

And yes, the “’Nuff said” is actually in the NCAA rule book.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
CU77

Post by CU77 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:10 pm What is Coach Milliman’s style and tone? Screamer? More “gentile”?
Not a screamer. Calm and collected.

I am NOT a fan of Cornell's longtime AD, who forced MIlliman to go through a ridiculous "interim" year after Kerwick left.

And Kerwick was a disaster who absolutely positively had to go. At least our AD got that part right (after hiring him in the first place of course).
Laxidaisical

Post by Laxidaisical »

Heard Galloway is in the mix...
Laxidaisical

Post by Laxidaisical »

Heard Galloway is in the mix...
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Laxidaisical wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:00 am Heard Galloway is in the mix...
Nah
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Is there any chance a 4th Hopkins-dedicated thread can appear here at FanLax? Maybe 'The Golden Age of Hopkins Lacrosse; Discuss"?

:roll:
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:49 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:10 pm What is Coach Milliman’s style and tone? Screamer? More “gentile”?

I am NOT a fan of Cornell's longtime AD, who forced MIlliman to go through a ridiculous "interim" year after Kerwick left.

And Kerwick was a disaster who absolutely positively had to go. At least our AD got that part right (after hiring him in the first place of course).
Agreed to all above.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:49 am

Disaster? Seems like he loaded the cupboard before he left..then passed the team to a first time head coach with newbie assistants. If that's the blueprint, what good is experience?? Get some cheap help and you're all set.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Explain why Galloway would be considered? Bueller ? Frye?
WHOWHATWHERE

Post by WHOWHATWHERE »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:49 pm
JHUFan wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:17 pm Lots of Head Coach talk, understandably. But, let's not forget the entire coaching staff is out. Any ideas on assistants? Will Hopkins and the Athletic Dept. do the hiring or will the new HC handpick his assistants?
For the purposes of this I'll assume it'll be Nadelen, as I think knowing the head coach makes thinking about assistants easier.

In that scenario, guys who would be on my list:

OC:
Phipps
Reppert
Stanwick
Boyle
Crawley

DC:
Cocchi
Wellner
Koesterer
Georgalas

Oh man, as an ND fan I hope Wellner doesn’t leave. Would these guys leave their current positions for Hop? Reppert and Wellner have been finalist for a few HC jobs the last few summers. Curious as to if that would make sense for them at this stage.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”