Where Would Petro Fit Best?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: Where Would Petro Fit Best?

Post by Peter Brown »

Nassaufan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:15 am Do we really need a third JHU thread?

thank you
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

Nassaufan wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:15 am
Do we really need a third JHU thread?

thank you
I would say this is a thread about a pedigree coach who could impact another program
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Cooter wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:34 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:12 pm

If Meyers is so awesome, shouldn't he be on the Hopkins short list?!
He is young, and an "up and comer," no? With head coaching experience in the B1G.
Seems like a no-brainer IF he was better than Petro.
Tillman and Tiffany aren't on Hopkins' list either.
My point is that Meyers isnt better than Petro.

But to your point- if there are limits to a search, well...

:?

The Hopkins job was the biggest in the game when Petro was hired. JHU was considering all options- from all the big programs.

They aren't this time around. Who are the published frontrunner finalists at this point?

Nads
Marr
Tierney
Who else?

Where did their teams rank this year? What is the profile of their school? How much do their schools really "value" lacrosse?

For the most part, you're seeing guys who are upgrading and fleeing mid tier and lower tier programs.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:11 am
Nassaufan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:15 am Do we really need a third JHU thread?

thank you
This is a test. This is only a test.

This is a self-control test of the Global Hopkins Lacrosse Network.

You failed.

Test complete.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Difference in vision for the future led to the split.
But no telling what those visions were.
Hmmm...
https://pressboxonline.com/2020/04/20/d ... ual-split/
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:33 pm Difference in vision for the future led to the split.
Hmmm...
probably revolved around setting the lone annual goal of winning the national championship.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

palaxoff wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:39 am
Nassaufan wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:15 am
Do we really need a third JHU thread?

thank you
I would say this is a thread about a pedigree coach who could impact another program
Since JHU unceremoniously parted ways with Petro, he is no longer "JHU lacrosse."
He's a free agent.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:33 pm Difference in vision for the future led to the split.
Hmmm...
Yeah, like “I want to keep working here.” vs “We want you gone.”

That’s about it in the most simplest and saddest form.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:49 pm
Hmmm...
probably revolved around setting the lone annual goal of winning the national championship.
Perhaps.
But I ask- who thinks that goal is still attainable?
Petro or JHU?

And if it's JHU, how do they plan on attaining that as a (mostly) D3 school...competing against the largest athletic budgets/facilities in the nation?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:55 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:49 pm
Hmmm...
Perhaps.
But I ask- who thinks that goal is still attainable?
Petro or JHU?

And if it's JHU, how do they plan on attaining that as a (mostly) D3 school...competing against the largest athletic budgets/facilities in the nation?
Easy......look at Div. I hockey. Similar in so many ways, worlds apart in others.

Please stop with the "poor Hopkins " narrative. When the Unions, Quinnipiacs, Providence's, UMass, UMaine, Yales, Denvers of the n$aa hockey world, seem to be doing just fine. All playing in the championship game. Oh, btw, recruiting against the very same big budget athletic departments that you so fear. And, when it comes to hockey, two more B1G varsity hockey programs , than in lax, to showcase that Ferris State recruit the awesome rink lockeroom in Lansing, MI or Golden Gophers (Notre Dame plays in the BiG for hockey.......such league whores, the Irish are ) And yes, BiG hockey teams win n$aa championships. Or play in them. But, so do all the aforementioned colleges. To go along with the Northeasterns, BU's, Miami's, Bowling Greens, Clarkson, Umass-Lowell, Merrimack, ...and yes, even Ohio State, made the frozen 4 in 2018. Blah blah blah, poor hopkins.

Fix the city you and so many others fled from.....fix it.

You really want kids playing for you , whose primary focus IS on uniforms and helmet decal combinations? pumped that their pictures in their lockers?

If you are worried about selling Hopkins......you should be worried.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

No "Poor Hopkins" narrative. I'm legit asking HOW they are going to do it- they had a great coach that has won a title in the modern era. They are operating as a D3 school in everything else, and recruiting a coach from a list of teams that have been historically outside the top 20.

Maybe they can snag someone who is a star on the rise or who can punch out of their class. But i'm not as optimistic. We shall see. Times change, and they could be a-changing even more for the Hopkins lacrosse program.

I thought the more likely scenario as far as "different visions" toward the future of the program was that the Hopkins admin no longer sees lacrosse as a priority at the school...Something Petro disagrees with.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

If Milliman takes the JHU job, why not simply bring Petro back to a place he is familiar with and had success.......CORNELL.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:29 pm If Milliman takes the JHU job, why not simply bring Petro back to a place he is familiar with and had success.......CORNELL.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Works for Hobart. Remember the series in the 90s fondly!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:39 pm No "Poor Hopkins" narrative. I'm legit asking HOW they are going to do it- they had a great coach that has won a title in the modern era. They are operating as a D3 school in everything else, and recruiting a coach from a list of teams that have been historically outside the top 20.

Maybe they can snag someone who is a star on the rise or who can punch out of their class. But i'm not as optimistic. We shall see.
Times change, and they could be a-changing even more for the Hopkins lacrosse program.

I thought the more likely scenario as far as "different visions" toward the future of the program was that the Hopkins admin no longer sees lacrosse as a priority at the school...Something Petro disagrees with.
most of the big dog schools recruit coaches from the same pile.
danowski, tiffany, tillman, breschi, even hopkins with petro years ago. perennial top 5-8 coaches don't jump. maybe they got hot the last year or 2, or maybe they had a great rep (tillman). but those moves rarely happen. and i think you mean a pile out of the top 10+, like this one.

even cornell's had a good run since petro was there --- 20 years! look who they've hired? from within. get somebody that can recruit (by that i also mean identify properly, and also fill all positions --- not just grab attackmen and have them all play middie, or not have any ssdm's coming in but only convert your o-middies that you aren't playing b/c attackmen play there), have kids play for them & follow the rules, and do a decent job with the x's and o's.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:29 pm If Milliman takes the JHU job, why not simply bring Petro back to a place he is familiar with and had success.......CORNELL.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
No, no, no! I can't believe you said this.

HAD success. A VERY long time ago.

Petro today is Richie Moran in 1997.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

CU77 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:59 pm

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
No, no, no! I can't believe you said this.

HAD success. A VERY long time ago.

Petro today is Richie Moran in 1997.
Different jobs/circumstances/time, but Richie Moran in 1997 was coming off of back to back 3-10 seasons and in 1994 he won ONE game. One. Uno. Cornell had made 1 tournament in Moran's last eight years.

No questioning Hopkins' decline under Petro, but things never dipped that bad. Hopkins won 12 games and made the Quarterfinals two years ago. They've only missed 1 tournament in his tenure (different time, more teams in tournament yes) and have only had one losing season. Maybe Petro isn't the best fit, but he's maintained a far higher level of performance than Moran did at the end of his tenure.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

OK, Petro is Richie Moran in 1990: 13 years past his last national championship, age 53.

You want to see Cornell repeat 1991-1997?

If so, hire Petro.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:36 pm

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Works for Hobart. Remember the series in the 90s fondly!
Exactly! Petro, when at Cornell's helm, was 0-fer vs Hobart!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:25 pm OK, Petro is Richie Moran in 1990: 13 years past his last national championship, age 53.

You want to see Cornell repeat 1991-1997?

If so, hire Petro.
I am not adverse to this scenario.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Someone posted this on another thread. And this is not unrealistic:

Nadelen to Hopkins
Ryan Moran(UMBC) to Towson-He can get better talent there.
Petro to UMBC-just like his coach and mentor, Don Zimmerman

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”