Johns Hopkins Coach Search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Johns Hopkins Coach Search

Post by kramerica.inc »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:34 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 pm Per @college_crosse twitter, it's down to Nads and Milliman. Never would have guess Milliman, but so it goes.
color me shocked if milliman is doing this for anything more than leverage.
So Milliman played at G'burg for 3 years until 2001. Noticing it says he graduated from SUNY in 2012.
Is SUNY his second undergrad degree or did he leave g'burg and finish up there? Shouldn't disqualify, just curious.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:50 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 pm Per @college_crosse twitter, it's down to Nads and Milliman. Never would have guess Milliman, but so it goes.
So Milliman played at G'burg for 3 years until 2001. Noticing it says he graduated from SUNY in 2012.
Is SUNY his second undergrad degree or did he leave g'burg and finish up there? Shouldn't disqualify, just curious.
Cornell recent record was due to the talent of their personnel moreso than any coaching
Your AD should have a better grasp of the field put forth by the hired search team
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Nadelen seems to be a logical choice given track history and ties. His team last year was woeful but that was a outlier.

My question to JHU faithful is would Nadelen accept it if offered. Im not so sure he would
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

can you get a 2nd undergrad degree like that? years and schools apart?

no description of degree at gettysburg. he did play there until 2002, supposedly for 4 years on a mll descriptor (though couldn't find any record of 1999, it's like the internet started in 2000). went to canterbury school through 1997, 5 years earlier.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:47 pm If JHU signs Milliman, how quickly would Cornell get Petro in for an interview up in Ithaca?
NO NO NO a thousand times NO!!!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

stupefied wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:19 pm
Cornell recent record was due to the talent of their personnel moreso than any coaching
Your AD should have a better grasp of the field put forth by the hired search team
he seems to have a pretty good head coaching record.
also defensive coordinator.
also offensive coordinator.
he also happened to be the recruiting coordinator for most of that personnel.

or your opinion.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Last edited by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Aside from Towson's recent nice showings, does 0-6 give any pause? Any caution sign at all?
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Cornell has a long and storied history of winning. That history and its IVY attracts lax talent . He was there there in 2014 as associate coach when 16 and 17 were atypical off years. The wizardry of Teat and some fellow Canadians restored that program despite some units that were mediocre. Maybe Im not giving Millman proper credit for recruiting Teat n Co. but Im surprised that he may be a finalist. Shame that Chermoti withdrew.

Last year was an outlier for Towson. Coming off that record is not the best look but Nadelen is proven commodity to most
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I’d rather have an 0-6 person already familiar with the area and Hopkins, and an alum, knowing the challenge, than someone 5-1 who might not be in for the long haul.

We are talking about another potential 20 year hire here.

0-6 was an aberration. Or better have been.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

QuakerSouth wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:08 pm Aside from Towson's recent nice showings, does 0-6 give any pause? Any caution sign at all?
It's a bad year, and there's no excuses for being 0-6, but when you before that you had put together probably the greatest run in school history, you earn the right to have one bad year. Before that, even his "down years" at Towson were years where the team was still 1 or at worst 2 games away from making the NCAA Tournament.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Nads is a great coach. I'd hate to see him coaching at Hop.

Milliman seems like a pretty good coach. I'd love to see him coaching at Hop.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

So it is down to Nadelen and Milliman.

In knowing a few of the parties involved, my guess is this: alums and supporters want Nads and Jen wants Peter. Peter fits her "mold", Nads fits what alums of appreciate: program alum, recent success, good reputation.

Assuming all outside factors are equal, the coach that receives the first offer for the position may just be a result of who wields the most power at Hop.

If I was betting, I would say Milliman. Frankly, I am surprised he is in the mix. That may tell you all you need to know. Jen may have been pushing for him from the start.
Thor1

Post by Thor1 »

Would Nadelen step on Petro’s grave? I am not so sure
viper

Post by viper »

Thor1 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:05 pm Would Nadelen step on Petro’s grave? I am not so sure
I would imagine that Nadelen wouldn't have touched this with a 10 foot pole if Petro were still there as a lame duck. However, now that Petro isn't there - there is no grave to step on. I can't imagine him not wanting this opportunity.

I do find it hard not to agree with the previous post that pits this as a battle between the old guard wanting Nadelen and the newcomers (whom don't give a rats a** about the history and tradition) wanting "their own" with Milliman. Having said that, my preference is with Nadelan and not because I think he's a better choice, but because I think going the other way will be another sign of the shift in the direction of the University as a whole.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Thor1 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:05 pm Would Nadelen step on Petro’s grave? I am not so sure
I have no inside information, but is it likely that he would call Petro, and Petro would wish him the best (as well as frankly describe the challenges)?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:55 pm So it is down to Nadelen and Milliman.

In knowing a few of the parties involved, my guess is this: alums and supporters want Nads and Jen wants Peter. Peter fits her "mold", Nads fits what alums of appreciate: program alum, recent success, good reputation.

Assuming all outside factors are equal, the coach that receives the first offer for the position may just be a result of who wields the most power at Hop.

If I was betting, I would say Milliman. Frankly, I am surprised he is in the mix. That may tell you all you need to know. Jen may have been pushing for him from the start.
I must have missed some posts, what makes Milliman fit a 'mold'? what is that 'mold'?

Did I also miss that Murphy is definitely out?...I apologize, just haven't been paying recent attention.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:12 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:55 pm So it is down to Nadelen and Milliman.

I must have missed some posts, what makes Milliman fit a 'mold'? what is that 'mold'?

Did I also miss that Murphy is definitely out?...I apologize, just haven't been paying recent attention.
I'm not sure about a "mold", but with the AD's history and connection to Cornell, Cornell being a similar academic institution to recruit to and coach at to Hopkins, and Milliman being a good recruiter, it makes sense why he'd be a candidate.

Murphy is out it seems.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jrn19 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:29 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:12 pm

I'm not sure about a "mold", but with the AD's history and connection to Cornell, Cornell being a similar academic institution to recruit to and coach at to Hopkins, and Milliman being a good recruiter, it makes sense why he'd be a candidate.

Murphy is out it seems.
I wasn't casting shade on Milliman just wondering what was meant by 'mold'.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Is Hobart’s Raymond officially out?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”