Johns Hopkins Coach Search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Johns Hopkins Coach Search

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:48 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:37 pm For Hopkins' sake, let's hope that Chemotti's decision is indication that he's Danowski's heir apparent. Otherwise, it's an indictment of where JHU is as a program.
No it's not.

What seems most likely?

A) Chemotti had serious talks with Hopkins, expressed real interest, made it to the finalist stage, but then suddenly decided he wasn't at all interested anymore and wanted to stay at Richmond

B) Richmond got spooked by how much Chemotti had advanced with Hopkins and gave him a raise or promised some other type of upgrade (facilities, office space, scholarship spots, etc.)

C) Chemotti either came to the conclusion he wasn't going to get the gig (or was told as much outright) so then had Richmond leak the news that he was "pulling out" of the race

B and C are a lot more likely scenarios than A, I'd say. Would be weird for him to be part of a final group of two or three guys and then randomly pull out last minute without some kind of reason to do so from Richmond. Maybe he got into the entire thing as a game of chicken with Richmond, never intending to take the job but hoping Richmond would give him a raise, and lost. Wouldn't be the first time but my money is on Richmond realized he might actually leave and so they did what they needed to do to keep him. Either that or he caught wind that JHU preferred Nads and so he bowed out before they could have the chance to tell him no.
D. hopkins lowballed him when they got to talking money. or who's choosing coordinators. or expectations for job evaluation.
or leading to C) hopkins heard some things that no longer made him the frontrunner, he could sniff it out or hopkins allowed him to bow.

it really could've been anything. speculation is futile.

my order may have been: matt brown, chemotti, polley, outside looking in.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I'd guess "c" is most likely...don't think he can leverage Richmond given current state of the world. Chemotti is definitely in the conversation for any job, though. Class act and building a nice career.

Also re: Shay, he is still in the mix, allegedly..
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:04 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:37 pm For Hopkins' sake, let's hope that Chemotti's decision is indication that he's Danowski's heir apparent. Otherwise, it's an indictment of where JHU is as a program.
No it's not.

What seems most likely?

A) Chemotti had serious talks with Hopkins, expressed real interest, made it to the finalist stage, but then suddenly decided he wasn't at all interested anymore and wanted to stay at Richmond

B) Richmond got spooked by how much Chemotti had advanced with Hopkins and gave him a raise or promised some other type of upgrade (facilities, office space, scholarship spots, etc.)

C) Chemotti either came to the conclusion he wasn't going to get the gig (or was told as much outright) so then had Richmond leak the news that he was "pulling out" of the race

B and C are a lot more likely scenarios than A, I'd say. Would be weird for him to be part of a final group of two or three guys and then randomly pull out last minute without some kind of reason to do so from Richmond. Maybe he got into the entire thing as a game of chicken with Richmond, never intending to take the job but hoping Richmond would give him a raise, and lost. Wouldn't be the first time but my money is on Richmond realized he might actually leave and so they did what they needed to do to keep him. Either that or he caught wind that JHU preferred Nads and so he bowed out before they could have the chance to tell him no.
D. hopkins lowballed him when they got to talking money. or who's choosing coordinators. or expectations for job evaluation.
or leading to C) hopkins heard some things that no longer made him the frontrunner, he could sniff it out or hopkins allowed him to bow.

Pretty sure Nads makes more than Chemotti (or did before this recent extension Chemotti surely got.) if they lowballed one dude, why would the dude who probably commands a higher salary still be in the running?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:07 pm I'd guess "c" is most likely...don't think he can leverage Richmond given current state of the world. Chemotti is definitely in the conversation for any job, though. Class act and building a nice career.

Also re: Shay, he is still in the mix, allegedly..
:shock:

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Why would Shay want the Hopkins gig???
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

catchnshoot wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:30 pm Why would Shay want the Hopkins gig???
I don't think he is. Not sure where FMUBart heard that. Reports are that Hop reached out very early on but that he told them he wasn't interested.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

No it's not.

What seems most likely?

B almost certainly did not happen, unless there's come ultra-rich benefactor that I don't know about who wants to singlehandedly funds UR lacrosse. Even under ideal conditions this would be a huge stretch for a school like UR, and, as long as the atheletic-department-funding-apocalypse of cancellation of football/ basketball next year remains a possibility, no school (even the Ohio States of the world) are making that type of commitment.

Listen, I'm a decades-long Hop fan, but let's face it: if JHU can't pull UR's lacrosse coach (or Army, or Yale), that's a problematic sign of how much things have changed. Maybe Murphy gets the job and I'm pleasantly surprised, but how this is transpiring is not a great look for the program.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:36 pm
No it's not.

What seems most likely?

B almost certainly did not happen, unless there's come ultra-rich benefactor that I don't know about who wants to singlehandedly funds UR lacrosse. Even under ideal conditions this would be a huge stretch for a school like UR, and, as long as the atheletic-department-funding-apocalypse of cancellation of football/ basketball next year remains a possibility, no school (even the Ohio States of the world) are making that type of commitment.

Listen, I'm a decades-long Hop fan, but let's face it: if JHU can't pull UR's lacrosse coach (or Army, or Yale), that's a problematic sign of how much things have changed. Maybe Murphy gets the job and I'm pleasantly surprised, but how this is transpiring is not a great look for the program.
Richmond has a $2.5 billion endowment. They have money lying around
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

No it's not.

What seems most likely?

How do you know it's that Hopkins couldn't "pull" him? As wgsdr mentioned there are other scenarios in addition to the ones I listed and most of them do not involve Chemotti suddenly deciding he has no interest in being part of a decaying program despite willingly going deep into the interview process there. That he isn't ultimately the selection doesn't mean the interest between both parties wasn't genuine.

Shawn Nadelen has been the favorite for this job since 2016. It was fun to think of other possibilities—and until there's an official announcement, they could still surprise us—but this was always his job to lose Chemotti or no Chemotti.
Parputt

Post by Parputt »

No it's not.

What seems most likely?

If Im not mistaken, Richmond had to eliminate other programs when they started D1 lacrosse. Not sure they have that kind of money to throw at a non-revenue coach. Even tho it netted a 3M athletic endowment, it doesn't go very far now a days.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Parputt wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:43 pm
No it's not.

What seems most likely?

If Im not mistaken, Richmond had to eliminate other programs when they started D1 lacrosse. Not sure they have that kind of money to throw at a non-revenue coach. Even tho it netted a 3M athletic endowment, it doesn't go very far now a days.
Some of that is to comply with Title IX; they cut men's soccer and indoor and outdoor track. If they had kept those sports and added men's lax, they would have had the same # or more men's sports than women's
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:42 pm
No it's not.

What seems most likely?

How do you know it's that Hopkins couldn't "pull" him? As wgsdr mentioned there are other scenarios in addition to the ones I listed and most of them do not involve Chemotti suddenly deciding he has no interest in being part of a decaying program despite willingly going deep into the interview process there. That he isn't ultimately the selection doesn't mean the interest between both parties wasn't genuine.

Shawn Nadelen has been the favorite for this job since 2016. It was fun to think of other possibilities—and until there's an official announcement, they could still surprise us—but this was always his job to lose Chemotti or no Chemotti.
I have the same extent of knowledge into this that you do. Which is to say zero. This is a message board, no? Just throwing stuff out there to discuss like eveyone else.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:26 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:04 pm
No it's not.

What seems most likely?

Pretty sure Nads makes more than Chemotti (or did before this recent extension Chemotti surely got.) if they lowballed one dude, why would the dude who probably commands a higher salary still be in the running?
maybe they are different people? different ideals? maybe they'd receive different offers, if they got them? maybe you being pretty sure about salaries and total income doesn't end the possibility of that being incorrect? maybe if one made more than the other, a differing offer is commonplace to trump someone's present day gig? maybe different buyouts mean differing offers in a coach's pocket?

chemotti was reupped on his 2nd contract, 5 years, less than 3 years ago. it wouldn't surprise me if he got extended. it would surprise me if he got a huge bump given the landscape right now.

my collective point, was that a parting of the ways could've come from either direction, for any reason(s). when you find out or are pretty sure what it was, let us know.
Thor1

Post by Thor1 »

Parputt wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:43 pm
No it's not.

What seems most likely?

Richmond dropped soccer and that didn't sit well with alum. There are some deep pocketed Richmond alum but in this environment I don't think they are ponying up to keep a coach. And there is no way a school dips into endowment to support a non-revenue sport. That goes for Richmond, Hopkins or wherever. My guess Chemotti waiting patiently for his shot in Durham.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:56 pm Cassese and Phipps would be a legit combo.
In print:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... cted/56324
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Has Army’s Joe Alberici officially said no?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:07 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:05 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:00 pm Still going with Cassese until he’s ruled out. Fits the academic acumen of a top academic school from the PL, one of the few coaches with a player centric mentor on staff, academic navigation experience in recruiting, only negative..loves Bethlehem, but JHU provides a solid 5-7 years of stability.
If you read between the lines I think the reports today pretty much rule him out.
You don't think Cassese is going to hold on at Lehigh until the Duke(his alma mater) job opens up?
IMO, lacrosse nepotism rules out Duke for Cassese.
Lacrosse nepotism?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:30 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:00 pm Still going with Cassese until he’s ruled out. Fits the academic acumen of a top academic school from the PL, one of the few coaches with a player centric mentor on staff, academic navigation experience in recruiting, only negative..loves Bethlehem, but JHU provides a solid 5-7 years of stability.
If you read between the lines I think the reports today pretty much rule him out.
You don't think Cassese is going to hold on at Lehigh until the Duke(his alma mater) job opens up?
Lacrosse nepotism?
Danowksi son in the wings.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:56 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:56 pm Cassese and Phipps would be a legit combo.
In print:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... cted/56324
I in saw that, but it only referenced Army coach out.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:39 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:30 pm
Lacrosse nepotism?
Danowksi son in the wings.
I am sure Matt is a great person and coach. But he has zero coaching experience outside of being hired by his dad as an assistant at his alma mater. Wouldn't Duke prefer an accomplished head coach like Chemotti or Cassese when the time comes?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”