Where Would Petro Fit Best?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Where Would Petro Fit Best?

Post by Wheels »

Henpecked wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:08 am If you have a free hour today, you should listen to Carcaterra's interview with Coach Petro. You will have a new appreciation for the man and maybe pick up some clues where he is headed.

Unbelievably revealing interview. Well worth the 60 minutes.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/o ... 1450279707
Agreed.

On thing that stuck out to me is, outside of those who closely follow Hop, you seldom if ever saw this Dave Pietramala. Obviously, he showed it to those on his teams and in the closer orbit of Hopkins lacrosse. He talks in the pod about how people usually only saw him in a certain way because that's all he showed and maybe that's something he will work on moving forward. Both on the sidelines and off of the field.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

HooDat wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:21 pm Why not Michigan or Ohio State?
I imagine that OSU feels they have the better coach.

Michigan might not be sure, but Conry seems to be putting together a nice team.
Live Free or Die!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Cooter wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:58 pm

I'm not so sure about OSU.

Right after Breschi left, there were rumors that Meyers was more or less a placeholder until the next coach was found. Thos erumors intensified as he struggled a bit. He seems to have gotten his feet under him the past few years. But if OSU expects more from their lax program, he could be replaced by someone who is proven and has actually won a couple titles.
It would also be an interesting move by OSU to hire Petro, with JHU in conference. It would be fun to see what Petro could do with an athletic department that fully supports him and has unlimited resources compared to Hopkins. And with a chance to stick it to the people who let him walk.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Conry needs to hire Cooter as his publicist.

Michigan is not gonna just kick the guy out the door immediately but Petro being available will definitely change the calculus when it's time to discuss Conry's contract. Mich was interested in him before they ultimately hired Conry.
Parputt

Post by Parputt »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:57 pm
Cooter wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:58 pm

I'm not so sure about OSU.

Right after Breschi left, there were rumors that Meyers was more or less a placeholder until the next coach was found. Thos erumors intensified as he struggled a bit. He seems to have gotten his feet under him the past few years. But if OSU expects more from their lax program, he could be replaced by someone who is proven and has actually won a couple titles.
It would also be an interesting move by OSU to hire Petro, with JHU in conference. It would be fun to see what Petro could do with an athletic department that fully supports him and has unlimited resources compared to Hopkins. And with a chance to stick it to the people who let him walk.

"I imagine that OSU feels they have the better coach." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Kidding right? Not even close! Just protected by the AD who is on his way out very soon.
Joe

Post by Joe »

What are the odds of Petro swapping out jobs with Towson coach.. Makes sense his boys are staying at Boys Latin. Could still see them play
ZulbertiSocks

Post by ZulbertiSocks »

I'm not sure what all the debate is. It's pretty simple. If Nadelen gets the Hopkins job, Petro goes to Towson. That's it.
Parputt

Post by Parputt »

ZulbertiSocks wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:12 pm I'm not sure what all the debate is. It's pretty simple. If Nadelen gets the Hopkins job, Petro goes to Towson. That's it.
Agree!!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Worked for Zim!
Joe

Post by Joe »

In regard to Petro… My son committed to Hopkins in September. He is Matt constantinides Fogo. Petro was the master recruiter. He seemed to really care for Petro allot. He is devastated he is not coming back... a bit lost. My son was recruited by Providence, Albany, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse. Petro was the only coach that asked about his family, interests, even asked for a tour of his room on zoom lately. Matt felt a connection with him as soon as he walked on campus. Maybe old school, but right off the bat really cared about the kids.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Over the last 5 seasons
Nick Myers 44-26, .629 with a trip to the NCAA final
Dave Pietramala 38-31, .551
Live Free or Die!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Towson should hire Petro in a heartbeat if Nads leaves.
But stranger things have happened. I could see them going the way of Cocchi...
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:00 pm Conry needs to hire Cooter as his publicist.

Michigan is not gonna just kick the guy out the door immediately but Petro being available will definitely change the calculus when it's time to discuss Conry's contract. Mich was interested in him before they ultimately hired Conry.
If Conry doesn't have much success over the next couple seasons that could be true.
Live Free or Die!
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

How many years does Tierney have before he retires? Would Denver be a fit for Petro?
ZulbertiSocks

Post by ZulbertiSocks »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:17 pm Towson should hire Petro in a heartbeat if Nads leaves.
Yes, he would definitely be on the shortlist.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Joe wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:16 pm In regard to Petro… My son committed to Hopkins in September. He is Matt constantinides Fogo. Petro was the master recruiter. He seemed to really care for Petro allot. He is devastated he is not coming back... a bit lost. My son was recruited by Providence, Albany, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse. Petro was the only coach that asked about his family, interests, even asked for a tour of his room on zoom lately. Matt felt a connection with him as soon as he walked on campus. Maybe old school, but right off the bat really cared about the kids.
Thanks, Joe. Congratulations to you and your son. I’m sorry he won’t get to be coached by Petro, but he should come to Hopkins anyway. There’s a lot more to the school than lacrosse, and a good coach will be in place.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Parputt

Post by Parputt »

Cooter wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:16 pm Over the last 5 seasons
Nick Myers 44-26, .629 with a trip to the NCAA final
Dave Pietramala 38-31, .551

OSU has not even sniffed any remote success since! There is way more to the story than that stat line which proves nothing! Look at their schedules/opponents over that time frame. Hop doesn't play mostly rollovers during non-conference play as OSU mostly does with the exception of their old conference foes ND and Denver. Hop also has more B1G tournament wins and appearances and NCAA births over that time, so yea there's that. Again, NO COMPARISON! That's embarrassing to even try to compare them. Seriously.
Last edited by Parputt on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:17 pm Towson should hire Petro in a heartbeat if Nads leaves.
Why did Cocchi leave to go to Rutgers?
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Cooter wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:19 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:00 pm Conry needs to hire Cooter as his publicist.

If Conry doesn't have much success over the next couple seasons that could be true.
This was spot on !
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Joe wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:16 pm In regard to Petro… My son committed to Hopkins in September. He is Matt constantinides Fogo. Petro was the master recruiter. He seemed to really care for Petro allot. He is devastated he is not coming back... a bit lost. My son was recruited by Providence, Albany, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse. Petro was the only coach that asked about his family, interests, even asked for a tour of his room on zoom lately. Matt felt a connection with him as soon as he walked on campus. Maybe old school, but right off the bat really cared about the kids.
The bigger question for you: Has Tillman, or anyone else for that matter, tried to poach your son yet? :lol:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”