All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

runrussellrun

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by runrussellrun »

CU88 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:54 am
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:21 am
CU88 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:15 am Trump praised China and even sent them medical supplies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPVmloKuqYI
I know, idiotic.

now what?
COVID-19 Response
Pandemic Resilience Roadmap
April 20, 2020:

Our COVID-19 Response Initiative, a bipartisan group of experts in economics, public health, technology and ethics from across the country, has released the nation’s first comprehensive operational roadmap for mobilizing and reopening the U.S. economy in the midst of the COVID-19 crisis.

https://ethics.harvard.edu/files/center ... 0.20_0.pdf
gotta be honest.....more white collar welfare garbage.

This is NO road map. It's you and I sitting around the table, talking about where we want to take the kids on vacation, this summer. (in normal times) It's more tripe. Nothing specific. NO direction. rudderless junk.

What is wrong with the 69 page "Fired" pandemic report? oh, junk....right

Even't's 201 seven recommendations: Oh. yeSz, more road map stuff, right CU88

So, back to your link......IE; the word "essential" hit of 74 times in the pdf "find" function.

Junk like this: No footnotes, citations & reports on where these #'s came from? junk.
pg. 17
As we discuss when and how to reopen the economy, we miss a fundamental point—40% of the economy is already
open. According to the Department of Homeland Security, approximately 40% of the U.S. workforce is currently in
essential services. Unfortunately, however, this essential workforce has not been equipped with the resources needed
for pandemic resilience. As a result, doctors and nurses have fallen ill, and 17% of the New York Police force is sick
or quarantined.

pg 20.

This plan assumes that approximately 40% of the workforce is currently in essential roles, 15% are needed to fill
shortages in essential roles, 15% are in expanded definitions of essential roles, 10% are in none of these categories
but cannot productively work from home, and 20% can productively work from home

and yet.......this roadmap is JUNK, for many reasons, but, can someone tell me, in the road map "legend" or "key" perhaps, but where the FRIG can we find what business is deemed "e$$ential?". Hello, idiots.......

...are you telling us, the map is SOOOO good, you have to purchase another map (Homeland Security e$$ential designation list, oh, btw, does NOT exist, legally. Thought STATES controlled that ? ALso, good luck finding the homeland securities essential business list. )

Unless, I am missing it somewhere. That this roadmap describes, in detail, which business is essential, which is not. You know, Specifics. But, you know I didn't miss it. I actually read these links.

How much money did Harvard get for this useless piece of garbage?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Look at these white Trumper racists and their low-IQ and no-PhD schooling.

Sure staying at a factory for 28 days is nice and all, helping make the materials for N95 masks and voluntarily leaving their families, but you can tell they are Trumpers!

(the above an expected comment from your garden variety Dem)

Want to know about America? This:

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/Facto ... 11971.html
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:35 pm
CU88 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:15 am Trump praised China and even sent them medical supplies

I know, idiotic.

now what?
COVID-19 Response
April 20, 2020:

Our COVID-19 Response Initiative, a bipartisan group of experts in economics, public health, technology and ethics from across the country, has released the nation’s first comprehensive operational roadmap for mobilizing and reopening the U.S. economy in the midst of the COVID-19 crisis.

This is NO road map. It's you and I sitting around the table, talking about where we want to take the kids on vacation, this summer. (in normal times) It's more tripe. Nothing specific. NO direction. rudderless junk.

So, back to your link......IE; the word "essential" hit of 74 times in the pdf "find" function.

Junk like this: No footnotes, citations & reports on where these #'s came from? junk.
pg. 17
As we discuss when and how to reopen the economy, we miss a fundamental point—40% of the economy is already
open. According to the Department of Homeland Security, approximately 40% of the U.S. workforce is currently in
essential services. Unfortunately, however, this essential workforce has not been equipped with the resources needed
for pandemic resilience. As a result, doctors and nurses have fallen ill, and 17% of the New York Police force is sick
or quarantined.

pg 20.

This plan assumes that approximately 40% of the workforce is currently in essential roles, 15% are needed to fill
shortages in essential roles, 15% are in expanded definitions of essential roles, 10% are in none of these categories

and yet.......this roadmap is JUNK, for many reasons, but, can someone tell me, in the road map "legend" or "key" perhaps, but where the FRIG can we find what business is deemed "e$$ential?". Hello, idiots.......

...are you telling us, the map is SOOOO good, you have to purchase another map (Homeland Security e$$ential designation list, oh, btw, does NOT exist, legally. Thought STATES controlled that ? ALso, good luck finding the homeland securities essential business list. )

Unless, I am missing it somewhere. That this roadmap describes, in detail, which business is essential, which is not. You know, Specifics. But, you know I didn't miss it. I actually read these links.

I don't know. I just saw it and passed it along. I knew it would be in your wheelhouse....I know plenty of companies up and running. Send an email in and post the response.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:35 pm Look at these white Trumper racists and their low-IQ and no-PhD schooling.

Sure staying at a factory for 28 days is nice and all, helping make the materials for N95 masks and voluntarily leaving their families, but you can tell they are Trumpers!

Again with the expectations you actually have no idea about. And conclusions not evident to anyone but whomever is inhabiting your mind.

Why would anyone think badly of people (not necessarily of any political persuasion as the story does not say anything about that) who made a sacrifice for the good of the fight against CV-19?

Just because I have a PhD in physics and teach in a university setting does not make me think people who do not have degrees are less than human. I have a brother who never went to college (certainly was smart enough, but he never wanted to) and I don't think lesser of him because he does not have even an undergraduate degree.

Nor did I think less of my late father-in-law who only had an eighth grade education. He was pretty smart himself, but growing up in extremely remote rural Kentucky on a dairy farm in the 30s with no mechanical power the need was there as the oldest child to work the farm. Oh - BTW - he was a Democrat and a union leader at the railroad axle forge he worked at...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:46 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:35 pm Look at these white Trumper racists and their low-IQ and no-PhD schooling.

Again with the expectations you actually have no idea about. And conclusions not evident to anyone but whomever is inhabiting your mind.

Why would anyone think badly of people (not necessarily of any political persuasion as the story does not say anything about that) who made a sacrifice for the good of the fight against CV-19?

Just because I have a PhD in physics and teach in a university setting does not make me think people who do not have degrees are less than human. I have a brother who never went to college (certainly was smart enough, but he never wanted to) and I don't think lesser of him because he does not have even an undergraduate degree.

Nor did I think less of my late father-in-law who only had an eighth grade education. He was pretty smart himself, but growing up in extremely remote rural Kentucky on a dairy farm in the 30s with no mechanical power the need was there as the oldest child to work the farm. Oh - BTW - he was a Democrat and a union leader at the railroad axle forge he worked at...

He'd be a Republican today. :lol: (jk)

Most anyone with actual life skills today is a Republican. Engineers, carpenters, plumbers, masons, haulers, ironworkers, mechanics, crane operators, etc... They all vote R. Mostly because they have common sense.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:38 pm

I know, idiotic.

now what?
COVID-19 Response
April 20, 2020:

pg. 17
or quarantined.

pg 20.

I don't know. I just saw it and passed it along. I knew it would be in your wheelhouse....I know plenty of companies up and running. Send an email in and post the response.
it IS 4/20 somewhere.....but, I think the only thing you have been passing along is that maryjane.... CU88 posted the link.

I DO so love the recomendations list. They want to create a authoritarian board, with 100K "employees" You can't make this junk up. That is two thousand employees, per state.

Don't take their word for it, take there wordsmithing instead

PG. 52
An effective strategy of pandemic resilience requires:
• Innovation in testing methodologies.
• A Pandemic Testing Board established by the federal government with strong but narrow powers that has the job
of securing the testing supply and the infrastructure necessary for deployment.
• Federal and/or state guidance for state testing programs that accord with due process, civil liberties, equal
protection, non-discrimination, and privacy standards.
• Readiness frameworks to support local health leaders, mayors, tribal leaders, and other public officials in setting
up test administration processes and isolation support resources.
• Organizational innovation at the local level linking cities, counties, and public health districts, with specifics
varying from state to state.
Federal and state investment in contact tracing personnel, starting with an investment in 100,000 personnel
(recommendation from JHU Center for Health Security).

• Clear mechanisms and norms of governance and enforcement around the design and use of peer-to-peer warning
apps, including maximal privacy protection, availability of open source code for independent and regulatory audit,
and prohibitions on the use of any data from these apps for commercial purposes, ideally achieved through preemptive legislation.
• Support for quarantine and isolation in the form of jobs protections and material support for time in quarantine
and isolation as well as access to health care.
• An expanded U.S. Public Health Service Corps and Medical (or Health) Reserves Corps (paid service roles), and
addition of Health Reserves Corps to the National Guard units of each state.
• National Infectious Disease Forecasting Center to modernize disease tracking (Recommendation from Scott
Gottlieb, AEI).
Consensus is emerging about what we need. How to do it is beginning to come into view. The time is here for action.

Strong, but 'narrow' powers. ummm, move along, nothing to see here.
The time is here for action..........some plan. idiots....
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:53 pm

He'd be a Republican today. :lol: (jk)

Most anyone with actual life skills today is a Republican. Engineers, carpenters, plumbers, masons, haulers, ironworkers, mechanics, crane operators, etc... They all vote R. Mostly because they have common sense.
Absolutely not. My father is an engineer. Probably voted some R in the 60s/70s. Not anymore. You really don't have a clue.
ggait

Post by ggait »

This is what the Liberate protesters should be demanding to get back to work.

From the Rockefeller Foundation:

Testing is our way out of this crisis. Instead of ricocheting between an unsustainable shutdown and a dangerous, uncertain return to normalcy, the United States must mount a sustainable strategy with better tests and contact tracing, and stay the course for as long as it takes to develop a vaccine or cure.

Our National Covid-19 Testing Action Plan lays out the precise steps necessary to enact robust testing, tracing, and coordination to more safely reopen our economy.

3 million tests per week in the next 6-8 weeks (we're currently at about 1 million per week). 30 million per week in six months.

Also a contact tracing corps.

$100 million tab. Pretty cheap as compared to what we are spending on bailouts.

Just do it!
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

How Deadly is COVID19? NYC Sets a Lower Bound
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/ho ... ower-bound
It’s always seemed highly unlikely that the number of fatalities per lab-confirmed cases is at all representative of the true percentage of people who die from being infected with COVID19. That number was over 3% in China, about 5.4% in the US currently and has ranged as high as 10% in Italy.
there have been others arguing for much lower percentages, as far down as .1%. Some of those people are driven by politics or ideological investment, holding out for the idea that the actual mortality is comparable to the flu. But not all of them. Bear in mind that even if COVID19 only killed .2% of its victims the potential cost in lives would be vastly greater than the flu since nobody has any immunity to it at all.

But here’s one number that is worth noting.

As of two days ago New York City reports 13,683 COVID19 deaths. 9,101 of those are lab confirmed and 4,582 are diagnosed on the basis of symptoms but with no lab confirmed test. The City has a population of 8,398,748 million, as of the 2018 Census estimate. So as of now, .16% of New York’s population has died from COVID19.

Even if you held the number to just those with a lab confirmed diagnosis, you’re still at .11%
it is certainly not the case that every New Yorker has been exposed. So this gives us an extremely firm lower bound. Even if you assume that wildly more New Yorkers than anyone thinks was infected you’re still way over .2%. Indeed, if half of New Yorkers have been infected, that gets you to about a .35% rate of fatality per infection.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

.....it's a mindset, when a recent hire for the New York Times, decides to take to "anti-social" media..... and writes social thoughts that she was, "happy that "deplorables" were getting shot at a concert. Because, only tRump supporters like country music. I am serious. What kind of MIND set, and decent human, thinks it's perfectly acceptable to be writing stuff on , in this case, twatter (twitter)

What kind of person, gainfully employed at what they like to think is an important media outlet and influencer, has that, as their mindset? Like, it's ok. Seriously, it's the mindset. It's perverse. It's fecebook, love, hate, black white us them world. sickening.

btw, having a very hard time finding any news about this woman. She tweeted those hatefilled twats, after the Las Vegas concert shootings. as a recent NY Times, editorial staff. Of which department, I don't recall. Regardless, I can not find ONE internet story about her. She used to work at MTV.........why is google burying that story?
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:55 pm

I know, idiotic.

now what?
COVID-19 Response
April 20, 2020:

pg. 17
or quarantined.

pg 20.

it IS 4/20 somewhere.....but, I think the only thing you have been passing along is that maryjane.... CU88 posted the link.

I DO so love the recomendations list. They want to create a authoritarian board, with 100K "employees" You can't make this junk up. That is two thousand employees, per state.

PG. 52
• A Pandemic Testing Board established by the federal government with strong but narrow powers that has the job
• Federal and/or state guidance for state testing programs that accord with due process, civil liberties, equal
• Readiness frameworks to support local health leaders, mayors, tribal leaders, and other public officials in setting
• Organizational innovation at the local level linking cities, counties, and public health districts, with specifics
Federal and state investment in contact tracing personnel, starting with an investment in 100,000 personnel

• Clear mechanisms and norms of governance and enforcement around the design and use of peer-to-peer warning
apps, including maximal privacy protection, availability of open source code for independent and regulatory audit,
and prohibitions on the use of any data from these apps for commercial purposes, ideally achieved through preemptive legislation.
• Support for quarantine and isolation in the form of jobs protections and material support for time in quarantine
• An expanded U.S. Public Health Service Corps and Medical (or Health) Reserves Corps (paid service roles), and
• National Infectious Disease Forecasting Center to modernize disease tracking (Recommendation from Scott
Gottlieb, AEI).
Consensus is emerging about what we need. How to do it is beginning to come into view. The time is here for action.

My guess is that the "let people do as they please" plan didn't go to far with these guys.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU88 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:17 pm https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/why-g ... -a-fantasy
And we're in the clinical trials now. And those are going to take probably at least a couple more months, depending on how many people get enrolled in the trials and how they go.

Most of the medicines we know something about tend to help people who are already hospitalized and in trouble, rather than being something that you could pop and take as a pill, like you can the PrEP for HIV.

So we're not — I mean, there's been information from the White House that the hydroxychloroquine will work as a preventative. Nobody really thinks that. It might help people who are likely to crash, because it's an immune system suppressant, but it's not an antiviral.

And most of the antivirals we know about are — they're not Lazarus drugs. They don't save you. We're not seeing anything like that, the way antibiotics used to make people come back from near death.

So, it may be a long time before we have a pill that's prophylactic. And then, again, we have to make 300 million doses per day, make it as ubiquitous as aspirin. So that will take a while too.
he's a writer. he could probably do just fine on here.

i'll go with where the science takes us.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:05 pm
It’s always seemed highly unlikely that the number of fatalities per lab-confirmed cases is at all representative of the true percentage of people who die from being infected with COVID19. That number was over 3% in China, about 5.4% in the US currently and has ranged as high as 10% in Italy.
there have been others arguing for much lower percentages, as far down as .1%. Some of those people are driven by politics or ideological investment, holding out for the idea that the actual mortality is comparable to the flu. But not all of them. Bear in mind that even if COVID19 only killed .2% of its victims the potential cost in lives would be vastly greater than the flu since nobody has any immunity to it at all.

As of two days ago New York City reports 13,683 COVID19 deaths. 9,101 of those are lab confirmed and 4,582 are diagnosed on the basis of symptoms but with no lab confirmed test. The City has a population of 8,398,748 million, as of the 2018 Census estimate. So as of now, .16% of New York’s population has died from COVID19.

Even if you held the number to just those with a lab confirmed diagnosis, you’re still at .11%
it is certainly not the case that every New Yorker has been exposed. So this gives us an extremely firm lower bound. Even if you assume that wildly more New Yorkers than anyone thinks was infected you’re still way over .2%. Indeed, if half of New Yorkers have been infected, that gets you to about a .35% rate of fatality per infection.
What does the CDC say the death rate is? you know, the profession agency in charge of , disease control.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:06 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:55 pm

I know, idiotic.

now what?
COVID-19 Response
April 20, 2020:

pg. 17
or quarantined.

pg 20.

PG. 52

Gottlieb, AEI).

My guess is that the "let people do as they please" plan didn't go to far with these guys.
yes or no, you hiring that "roadmap" gang to write business plans for you and yours?

exactly

not a word about funding another, 'new' agency? it's kind of laughable, how sheeple people are.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:06 pm

.....it's a mindset, when a recent hire for the New York Times, decides to take to "anti-social" media..... and writes social thoughts that she was, "happy that "deplorables" were getting shot at a concert. Because, only tRump supporters like country music. I am serious. What kind of MIND set, and decent human, thinks it's perfectly acceptable to be writing stuff on , in this case, twatter (twitter)

What kind of person, gainfully employed at what they like to think is an important media outlet and influencer, has that, as their mindset? Like, it's ok. Seriously, it's the mindset. It's perverse. It's fecebook, love, hate, black white us them world. sickening.

btw, having a very hard time finding any news about this woman. She tweeted those hatefilled twats, after the Las Vegas concert shootings. as a recent NY Times, editorial staff. Of which department, I don't recall. Regardless, I can not find ONE internet story about her. She used to work at MTV.........why is google burying that story?
It is not because you have some of your "facts" wrong about the incident:

https://www.thedp.com/article/2017/10/p ... ng-victims

Hayley Geftman-Gold was fired from her job as an in-house CBS lawyer for making that tweet in 2017. She was a VP and Senior Counsel - and had worked previously for MTV. Also apparently a mom of at least two daughters. She has disappeared from the internet as far as I can tell...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:59 pm This is what the Liberate protesters should be demanding to get back to work.

From the Rockefeller Foundation:

Testing is our way out of this crisis. Instead of ricocheting between an unsustainable shutdown and a dangerous, uncertain return to normalcy, the United States must mount a sustainable strategy with better tests and contact tracing, and stay the course for as long as it takes to develop a vaccine or cure.

Our National Covid-19 Testing Action Plan lays out the precise steps necessary to enact robust testing, tracing, and coordination to more safely reopen our economy.

3 million tests per week in the next 6-8 weeks (we're currently at about 1 million per week). 30 million per week in six months.

Also a contact tracing corps.

$100 million tab. Pretty cheap as compared to what we are spending on bailouts.

Just do it!
$100 million?? sign me up! how much is that, 10 cents per test?
Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:14 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:06 pm

It is not because you have some of your "facts" wrong about the incident:

https://www.thedp.com/article/2017/10/p ... ng-victims

Hayley Geftman-Gold was fired from her job as an in-house CBS lawyer for making that tweet in 2017. She was a VP and Senior Counsel - and had worked previously for MTV. Also apparently a mom of at least two daughters. She has disappeared from the internet as far as I can tell...
Impossible
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:07 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:05 pm

What does the CDC say the death rate is? you know, the profession agency in charge of , disease control.
Using:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... in-us.html

5.23%

But that misses untested cases. The TPM article is basically saying that the actual rate has to be higher than about .2% to .3% at a minimum.

Given that we don't actually test enough people to know who has suffered the CV with little/no symptoms, or who was never tested the 5% number is probably too high (because we miss cases). But what my posting is saying it cannot possibly be as low as the flu.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Fauci consistently has been saying 1%. 10X the seasonal flu.

But those swinging from the right have been looking for any evidence for something as low as 0.2%. Which would still be 2X the seasonal flu, but would make the like the flu/over-reaction argument sound better.

Like this example from Six just yesterday:
Post by 6ftstick » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:42 am
Stanford antibody study estimates COVID-19 infected 50 to 85 times more people than testing identified in Santa Clara County

https://ktla.com/news/california/stanfo ... ra-county/

Whats that do to the virulence of the Wuhan Virus?
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

ggait wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:26 pm
Fauci consistently has been saying 1%. 10X the seasonal flu.

But those swinging from the right have been looking for any evidence for something as low as 0.2%. Which would still be 2X the seasonal flu, but would make the like the flu/over-reaction argument sound better.

Like this example from Six just yesterday:
Post by 6ftstick » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:42 am
Stanford antibody study estimates COVID-19 infected 50 to 85 times more people than testing identified in Santa Clara County

https://ktla.com/news/california/stanfo ... ra-county/

Whats that do to the virulence of the Wuhan Virus?
Fauci is probably not too far off - and he ought to have a reasonable idea given his background.

And this is a disease that not only kills a lot more people - but a significant fraction of those who get a more serious case and survive seem to have some significant damage to hearts and lungs.

Return to “POLITICS”