Where Would Petro Fit Best?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
a fan

Re: Where Would Petro Fit Best?

Post by a fan »

Dartmouth. I could see Petro doing some damage there. Shake up the Ivy League a bit.

The coach is in his sixth year there, no?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:45 pm Stan Ross built you a nice thing at butler, even had them ranked, but they dropped the program for hoops (risk for non FB programs going forward in the one and done era).

Haus not Petro as pointed out.

Pressler was considered unfairly damaged goods thanks to a dirty prosecutor who was never elected named Nifong and a dirty faculty that never really apologized for the protests and full page gang of 88 ADs. (University Apologized to the kids to the tune of $20mm each which still isn’t enough and the kid who wrote the American psycho email didn’t get jack-great New Yorker piece from that spring about Duke).

None of those are comparable to Petro. Starsia really only comp other than maybe Glenn Thiel.
I see Petro more as damaged goods like Cottle. Cottle is a HOF coach too (albeit without a championship) who was damaged goods by UMD, kind of like Petro.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

If the Jays are not on, my first choice webcast is always Coach Cottle on the PL. Not saying that it pays his rent, but I find no other announcer explains things as well as he does.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:46 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:45 pm Stan Ross built you a nice thing at butler, even had them ranked, but they dropped the program for hoops (risk for non FB programs going forward in the one and done era).

Haus not Petro as pointed out.

Pressler was considered unfairly damaged goods thanks to a dirty prosecutor who was never elected named Nifong and a dirty faculty that never really apologized for the protests and full page gang of 88 ADs. (University Apologized to the kids to the tune of $20mm each which still isn’t enough and the kid who wrote the American psycho email didn’t get jack-great New Yorker piece from that spring about Duke).

None of those are comparable to Petro. Starsia really only comp other than maybe Glenn Thiel.
I see Petro more as damaged goods like Cottle. Cottle is a HOF coach too (albeit without a championship) who was damaged goods by UMD, kind of like Petro.
Well, that’s the thing. Pietramala does have two national championships, and he is still relatively young(er). Plus, no major headline-grabbing scandals in over two decades as a head coach. Lesser coaches with lesser resumes have gotten head coaching gigs after leaving one of the premium programs in the nation, and some of those had the negative headlines.

I think Petro will be a college head coach again, primarily because he clearly loves coaching.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:46 pm I see Petro more as damaged goods like Cottle. Cottle is a HOF coach too (albeit without a championship) who was damaged goods by UMD, kind of like Petro.
I wouldn't agree with Cottle being damaged goods by UMd. Cottle finished with a pretty strong season (12-4) but didn't make the final four. Cottle made it to the NCAA tmt his final eight seasons (8 of 9) as the Terps' coach.
When Tillman made it to the NCAA final in 2011, he often thanked Cottle for the players that had been left him by Cottle.
Live Free or Die!
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

I agree. Cottle was not damaged goods. The man was hosed by Debbie Yow (AD).
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

I agree. Cottle was not damaged goods. The man was hosed by Debbie Yow (AD).
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Like Cottle, I think those coaches got stuck in the good ole’ days. Not a knock on them at all, just relied a bit too heavily on the way it used to be and the growth of the sport/academia put everyone in tough times.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Homer

Post by Homer »

I think Cottle is a pretty good comparison.

Both became head coaches at a very young age, both let go in their early 50s. Both didn't so much have bad results in the normal sense (Cottle never had a losing season at UMD, Petro only had one at JHU before 2020) as failed over time to replicate earlier success in a job with unusually high standards. Both left universally respected, but with a certain perception as "old school" and set in their ways, in a way that might limit some future opportunities.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Homer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:41 pm I think Cottle is a pretty good comparison.

Both became head coaches at a very young age, both let go in their early 50s. Both didn't so much have bad results in the normal sense (Cottle never had a losing season at UMD, Petro only had one at JHU before 2020) as failed over time to replicate earlier success in a job with unusually high standards. Both left universally respected, but with a certain perception as "old school" and set in their ways, in a way that might limit some future opportunities.
This!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:05 pm I agree. Cottle was not damaged goods. The man was hosed by Debbie Yow (AD).
I mean, he had suffered a string of bad losses in the NCAA Tournament and his teams had slid back to the pack towards the end of the tenure and Maryland followed it up by hiring a coach who got them to the national championship game in Years 1 and 2 and then a litany of F4’s after that. It worked out pretty well
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Homer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:41 pm I think Cottle is a pretty good comparison.

There are not a lot of good coaching jobs in D1 lacrosse. I am not sure that many opened up after Cottle left UMd. Cottle seemed to get involve with the MLL and have success there and that was that.

Cottle was not a UMd grad, and not a real popular hire there. I don't think there was a real feeling that the program was really dropping off under Cottle from Edell's tenure - but more that he just was not going to take UMd to the next level and end the long NCAA title drought.

Pietramala was a major star as a player at Hopkins. In his earlier years at JHU as a coach, he lead JHU to their first NCAA title in many years - and then followed it with another. He was extremely popular. But over the last five years there was a falling off of the lacrosse program at Hopkins.
Live Free or Die!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I want to see Coach write a series of books:

“Why I Hate The Internet - Coaching in the Digital Age”
Subtitled: “Screw You Posters, LaxPower and FanLax”

“The Pietramala Family Dogs - Stories of Survival”
Subtitled: “A pictorial history of our pets. No effing cats.”

And, maybe a memoir ten years from now:

“Hopkins Sucks and Daniels Can Blow Me”

They could be best sellers. The guy has a very interesting sense of humor. I told him what I was working on once, and he said “Please don’t blow up my house.”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:38 pm I want to see Coach write a series of books:

“Why I Hate The Internet - Coaching in the Digital Age”
Subtitled: “Screw You Posters, LaxPower and FanLax”

“The Pietramala Family Dogs - Stories of Survival”
Subtitled: “A pictorial history of our pets. No effing cats.”

And, maybe a memoir ten years from now:

“Hopkins Sucks and Daniels Can Blow Me”

They could be best sellers. The guy has a very interesting sense of humor. I told him what I was working on once, and he said “Please don’t blow up my house.”
Not entirely sure he was joking.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Interesting interview with Coach Petro.

Legendary Johns Hopkins men’s lacrosse coach Dave Pietramala says it was a privilege to lead his alma mater for 20 years but thought it was best for him and the school to move on since they didn’t share the same vision for how to move the program forward.

Pietramala, 53, led the Blue Jays to 18 NCAA Tournament appearances, seven Final Fours and two national championships (2005 and 2007) and finished 207-93 as the head coach at Hopkins. Considered one of the best defensemen ever, Pietramala played for the Jays from 1986-1989 and was part of the Jays’ championship squad in 1987. He’s the only person to win Division I lacrosse titles as a player and coach.

But Pietramala’s contract was up at the end of the 2020 season, forcing a decision about the future of the program. Hopkins, having won nine NCAA Tournaments and appeared in 29 Final Fours, faces some of the highest expectations in the sport, and the Jays have been to just one Final Four since 2009.

“In this situation we just felt like our ships weren’t sailing in the exact same direction,” Pietramala said on Glenn Clark Radio April 17. “The way we were moving forward wasn’t in the same direction, and we just felt like it was mutually beneficial and best for the young men in the program to move in our separate directions. I’ve had 20 years as the head coach and I don’t regret one of them. I’ve been blessed. I desperately already miss our guys and love them to death, but they’re going to move on.”

https://pressboxonline.com/2020/04/20/d ... ual-split/

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Indeed interesting.
Assuming it's not just standard talk to a reporter, ala Bull Durham, what does he mean?

"didn't share the same vision"; "wasn't in the same direction"

That he would be the coach? or something else?
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Cooter wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:29 pm

There are not a lot of good coaching jobs in D1 lacrosse. I am not sure that many opened up after Cottle left UMd. Cottle seemed to get involve with the MLL and have success there and that was that.
One that was opened when Cottle left MD was Rutgers. I know Cottle interviewed but didn’t get it, or didn’t want it. They went with Brecht. Cottle went more the consulting route - and was a consultant for a lot of new programs who were hiring (like Marquette, Furman, etc)
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

If you have a free hour today, you should listen to Carcaterra's interview with Coach Petro. You will have a new appreciation for the man and maybe pick up some clues where he is headed.

Unbelievably revealing interview. Well worth the 60 minutes.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/o ... 1450279707
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

He's made it abundantly clear that a)he needs much more support from his next athletic director b)he needs a school with more relaxed admissions standards. I don't know how many programs fit that criteria where they're going to roll out the red carpet for a lacrosse coach especially in these financial times.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Why not Michigan or Ohio State?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”